Commanders

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Commander

Postby 0beron » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:22 pm

Joining the Warlords, holding the Boomstick for now unless someone could convince me they deserved it, I offered my thoughts.
"The Lore side has fallen, so we should not expect to find any of their units in the field, unless they had an heir, in which case that stack would be the only one we have to worry about. I think our best course of action would be to review a map and plan a strategic assault. My inventory tells me we have a number of living units in Busybody and Copout, so depending on their distance from here we may order some transferred in order to aid our attack. The majority of our current force in this city are uncroaked, so we cannot count on their continued service for long."
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 2953
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Commander

Postby GWvsJohn » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:33 pm

Prince Macho nods at the Thinkamancer, respecting their power.

"I was more concerned about Lore's former allies moving to claim their cities.

You point about our other cities is valid. We should surely inquire whether we can bring them to aid the siege."
I know how it works. And I'm not that confident.
User avatar
GWvsJohn
 
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: Commander

Postby understandslittle » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:37 pm

"In most cases though, the cities won't have leadership, so I can pick and choose my battles. Should I encounter heavy resistance then I can pull back and use the thinkamancer to request aid."
understandslittle
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:29 am

Re: Commander

Postby GWvsJohn » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:08 pm

understandslittle wrote:"In most cases though, the cities won't have leadership, so I can pick and choose my battles. Should I encounter heavy resistance then I can pull back and use the thinkamancer to request aid."


"I see no reason to think there won't be leadership. It seems Father led a bold and daring capital strike. The other cities will remain as they were, preparing for war with Knowitall. I think it's likely there will be leadership. It does not matter though. With 600 uncroaked, led by a Croakamancer and 2 Warlords, we will take the cities."
I know how it works. And I'm not that confident.
User avatar
GWvsJohn
 
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: Commander

Postby understandslittle » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:21 pm

"Yes, but they can't produce units. They're frozen until someone enters the city hex. If we have to flee, whatever is left will be all that's there the next time we attack"
understandslittle
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:29 am

Re: Commander

Postby Sir Shadow » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:27 pm

"The 'Thinkamancer' has a name, Sir Tank." There is a slight edge to my words as I walk up to the group gathered there. The helmet in my hand is offered to the warlord. "This will grant you a bonus to combat or defense as you wish it."

"Don't forget, we have diggers both alive and uncroaked. Taking the tunnels first could give us an easier way into the city as we lack proper siege."
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
User avatar
Sir Shadow
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:53 am
Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Re: Commander

Postby GWvsJohn » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:36 pm

Sir Shadow wrote:"The 'Thinkamancer' has a name, Sir Tank." There is a slight edge to my words as I walk up to the group gathered there. The helmet in my hand is offered to the warlord. "This will grant you a bonus to combat or defense as you wish it."

"Don't forget, we have diggers both alive and uncroaked. Taking the tunnels first could give us an easier way into the city as we lack proper siege."


"If the cities even have tunnels. 30 uncroaked diggers and 4 powerful siege golems should suffice for most cities, when backed up by 200 archers."
I know how it works. And I'm not that confident.
User avatar
GWvsJohn
 
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: Commander

Postby Sir Shadow » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:50 pm

"While the uncroaked are expendable, they aren't limitless. Most of them are still in good condition and will last some time, but those in further decay could be used as a forward to trip traps. We're in precarious position, it wouldn't do to waste resources in a frontal assault without good cause."
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
User avatar
Sir Shadow
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:53 am
Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Re: Commander

Postby understandslittle » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:07 pm

"I vote for tunnels. Most people have more forces on their walls, but fewer in their tunnels. You'll wind up with fewer losses if you take the tunnel to the garrison" Tank says as he takes the hat, and switches it to defense.

He then leaves to go speak with Manly. "A few questions for you sir. First, will all of Lore's cities be built the same way as this one? Secondly is there a map or something that we could use to plan?

Also what's our special C?"
understandslittle
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:29 am

Re: Commander

Postby Acorntail » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:48 pm

understandslittle wrote:"I vote for tunnels. Most people have more forces on their walls, but fewer in their tunnels. You'll wind up with fewer losses if you take the tunnel to the garrison" Tank says as he takes the hat, and switches it to defense.

He then leaves to go speak with Manly. "A few questions for you sir. First, will all of Lore's cities be built the same way as this one? Secondly is there a map or something that we could use to plan?

Also what's our special C?"


Manly strokes his moustache, dredging his memory. "Hmm... The only Lore city I've encountered was Fourshadow, although that campaign lasted several dozen turns. For turns, we laid siege to the city, eventually making it through the outer walls and into the city proper. But the disbanded city's inner walls leading to the garrison? Even thicker. The titan's smile on us, though. My father, the old King Sapien, levelled the Capital, and our first Archon popped. So we waited, starving the city until a stack of Archons arrived from Knowitall, who took the tower with ease; now, I say tower, but Lore was never a side for magic. They had casters, sure, but Knowitall was the first side in the Southern Mires to pop flying units. Their tower was little more than a dressed up gazebo on a hill. Once inside, they found that the city interior was bare; the city was just two rings of walls and a small tower."

The Emperor grins. He becomes more theatrical in his gestures as he reminisces on his violent past.

"So we dug. The tunnels were heavily defended and we lost my sister, then heir, Princess Amanda to the fall. But we broke in, and stormed the dungeon. They didn't know what happened; first the Archons arrived via the tower, then I led a stack of Pikers through. It was a glorious rout. The city fell, and all that infantry they'd stationed on their impassable walls were captured. We razed the city, but that raised the ire of Lore. They led an attack against Busybody, our then capital. King Sapien was croaked, but in a last effort he promoted me to heir, sent the casters into the Magic Kingdom and returned the capital to Knowitall. I met the casters there, and with the help of the Carnymancer, changed our units."

The Emperor gestures modestly.

"My idea; and luckily it worked. The next turn Peekers popped instead of Megaladowns, and Knowitall became a side dedicated to fighting through flight. We took to the skies and decimated the force that marched towards Knowitall, and promptly retook Busybody. It was then I found the S.H.I.E.L.D. Oh, the campaign was long and arduous; many times Busybody fell, many times we retook it. But then Noway and Meatshield joined Lore against us, and fought us to a stalemate, and it looked like we would soon fall. But Titan's disband me if I was going to let that happen! I left only a nominal force in Busybody, made up mostly of our allies the Boogie Woogie Men. And in Knowitall, we retained our units. Busybody was sieged, and it wouldn't long last. The court took to the air, followed by a horde of Dire Wulfs loaded with Infantry. We came across a column of the alliance's troops, and lost most of our infantry, but Lilliana our croakamancer saw to that. Two turns it took us to find Lore, and in those turns we lost our carnymancer Hon. Derbert and two warlords, Magnus and Neal. The assault was a drawn out affair. Our diggers entered the tunnel zones whilst our Archons entered the airspace, our Dire Wulfs swarming the tunnels alongside. But there was no dungeon, our strategy faltered. They took out our leadership, but we had advantage in numbers. Eventually, they were over powered, and their Queen croaked at my hand. The city was ours. We looted the treasury and razed the city, and the rest... Well, the rest is history."

"Oh... yes, special C. Those are our Manotaurs; although I must admit I have not seen one popped in a while."
Perpetually locked in a Mathamancy/Turnamancy link.
Acorntail
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:56 am
Location: Down Under

Re: Commander

Postby understandslittle » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:01 pm

"What happened to our thinkamancer? There was apparently his spellbook in the armory, but I have yet to hear you speak of him."
understandslittle
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:29 am

Re: Commander

Postby Sir Shadow » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:02 pm

As Tank leaves to return to the throne room, I head to observe the Uncroaked. With my senses, it's simple to find them in the garrison, standing at attention motionlessly. To anyone else, it might be considered a disturbing sight. I, on the otherhand, can only appreciate their focused silence. Though they lacked will and intelligence, they were able creatures, constructed by masterful hands.

I walk among them feeling every sinew and bone, every muscle preserved through Lilianna's efforts. She must have lovingly poured her power into each one. Stopping at the one Knight, I frown slightly placing a hand upon its cold cheek. "What can you teach me, Lily?"
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
User avatar
Sir Shadow
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:53 am
Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Re: Commander

Postby GWvsJohn » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:21 pm

Prince Macho had followed Sir Tank in and listened in rapt attention to the Emperor's story.

If the Titans favor me, I will be half the Warlord that Father is.

When Manly is done speaking, Macho steps forward.

"Father, we can only hope to emulate your successes and run wild all over the remains of Lore's ruins. To that end, we have come up with a plan. We need to begin taking cities immediately, but almost more importanly, we need to prevent our enemies from taking them. I will lead the majority of the uncroaked, plus our Wulfs and Golems to attack the city to the southeast. Chief Caster Rax and von Brawn will join me, as the fighting will be tough. We will try the tunnels if possible, but otherwise, lead an assault directly on the walls. Simultaneously, Sir Tank will take the fliers and a small force of uncroaked infantry and archers to scout the remaining cities. He will hit targets of opportunity with the aim of keeping our foes from taking any of the cities. Thinkamancer Ogmah will accompany him as he will range farther from the Capital. The living Pikers will remain here to guard the city. The living Diggers are too valuable to risk without Siege Towers so they will remain here as well.

My recommendations for production here would be a few stacks of archers for defense, then Siege."
I know how it works. And I'm not that confident.
User avatar
GWvsJohn
 
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: Commander

Postby Acorntail » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:05 pm

understandslittle wrote:"What happened to our thinkamancer? There was apparently his spellbook in the armory, but I have yet to hear you speak of him."

"Oh, yes, our thinkamancer." Manly appears almost flustered, "His name was Brainiac. It is a source of minor embarrassment that I admit I never really knew him. I wish I had. Wielding the S.H.I.E.L.D he entered the airspace of Lore alone and absorbed the entirety of the defences. The Archons soon followed. Brave man. It was then the S.H.I.E.L.D cracked, and he fell. Liliana told me he croaked on impact."

GWvsJohn wrote:"Father, we can only hope to emulate your successes and run wild all over the remains of Lore's ruins. To that end, we have come up with a plan. We need to begin taking cities immediately, but almost more importanly, we need to prevent our enemies from taking them. I will lead the majority of the uncroaked, plus our Wulfs and Golems to attack the city to the southeast. Chief Caster Rax and von Brawn will join me, as the fighting will be tough. We will try the tunnels if possible, but otherwise, lead an assault directly on the walls. Simultaneously, Sir Tank will take the fliers and a small force of uncroaked infantry and archers to scout the remaining cities. He will hit targets of opportunity with the aim of keeping our foes from taking any of the cities. Thinkamancer Ogmah will accompany him as he will range farther from the Capital. The living Pikers will remain here to guard the city. The living Diggers are too valuable to risk without Siege Towers so they will remain here as well.

My recommendations for production here would be a few stacks of archers for defense, then Siege."


Manly starts to laugh. Then his face goes grim.
"This isn't a joke."

He stands, putting his hand on his ceremonial sabre.

"The cities of Lore are nigh immovable. If you attack via the tunnels, there are hundreds of units on the walls capable of repulsing you. If you attack the walls, you have dedicated yourself to a siege of not one, but two high level walls. We gained the upper hand against Lore because of our fliers, and you wish to send them not to intercept a known target, but to a wasteful scouting mission just looking for one? Those fliers are needed as the fulcrum to the nutcracker. Especially if you intend to go without Diggers. Diggers are infantry; they pop in stacks. They are expendable, and they are invaluable. Let them choose what they desire to defend and their choice is obvious; the tunnels. But they can't move into the tunnels if the Archons control the tower. If you find an unled city, then your strategy could work, but I would not rely on that until you can prove it."

Sir Shadow wrote:I walk among them feeling every sinew and bone, every muscle preserved through Lilianna's efforts. She must have lovingly poured her power into each one. Stopping at the one Knight, I frown slightly placing a hand upon its cold cheek. "What can you teach me, Lily?"


The Knight remains still. To a non-croakamancer, it is a mere body animated, but Cicatrix can feel Lilianna's fingerprints. Scars in the bones, patches over sinew and tissue. It's about making it move, and where the body is too damaged to move on its own, magic takes over. Lilianna had a signature, he can feel it in the other uncroaked. She started from the heart outwards, and left the head until last. She would then go over it again from the head down, making sure that each limb worked as it once had, each wound incorporated into the function, not ignored as damaged. She was a master, and she obviously loved what she did.
Last edited by Acorntail on Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perpetually locked in a Mathamancy/Turnamancy link.
Acorntail
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:56 am
Location: Down Under

Re: Commander

Postby understandslittle » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:29 pm

"It seems the smart plan would be to go in force with a few stacks of infantry and the Archons Topside. Sweep from the top of the tower to the bottom, then execute those captured once we've taken the entire garrison. The only thing I worry about is the casters, but if we run into one, we can fall back after we've discovered their discipline."
understandslittle
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:29 am

Re: Commander

Postby Sir Shadow » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:57 pm

Every fiber of the Uncroaked Knight was placed there specifically; she knew what she was doing. Her craft had obviously been honed over many Turns, I couldn't help but wonder how long she had served Knowitall. It seemed a pity to see something that had been crafted to emulate Life sitting so still. Perhaps seeing it in motion would teach me more...

So I commanded the Knight to dance. The wounds that had felled it, did not inhibit the Unit at all. It moved as though they had always existed. I watched for some time as I felt muscles moving beneath the skin; my senses told me far more than eyes. But in the end, the Knight stopped moving, returning to attention. I would need a croaked unit if I was going to really whet my teeth.

Instead of returning to the Throne Room, I headed to the War Room to inspect the map.
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
User avatar
Sir Shadow
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:53 am
Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Re: Commander

Postby LTDave » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:06 am

Metter Nick takes the time to examine the various items in the Armoury (spell book, etc), before returning them to their place. He is fond of the wing-tips, since riding a flying mount (or mount of anykind) seems so common.

He returns to the throne room to hear the King's Speech and the plan of the Prince.

He gives a little cough. "Majesty - as you have taken the role of chief warlord, is it not your place to plan the campaign? With your vast experience and knowledge you alone are best fit to announce a strategy and assing units and command. We are but grist to the mill, and any plans we were to make would be naturally inferior to your own, superior, notions."

"Command us, O King. We stand ready to obey."
User avatar
LTDave
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Commander

Postby 0beron » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:32 am

Joining my peers in the throne room again, I listen in on the tale recounted by our Ruler with interest. Following Metter's suggestion, I present one of my own. "Perhaps the best place to start is to get a look at whatever map we have available. I detect units in other cities that we might divert to our campaign, but it would be hard to judge the wisdom of such a move without seeing the relative positions of both our cities and those we wish to claim."
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 2953
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Commander

Postby Acorntail » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:33 am

LTDave wrote:Metter Nick takes the time to examine the various items in the Armoury (spell book, etc), before returning them to their place. He is fond of the wing-tips, since riding a flying mount (or mount of anykind) seems so common.

He returns to the throne room to hear the King's Speech and the plan of the Prince.

He gives a little cough. "Majesty - as you have taken the role of chief warlord, is it not your place to plan the campaign? With your vast experience and knowledge you alone are best fit to announce a strategy and assing units and command. We are but grist to the mill, and any plans we were to make would be naturally inferior to your own, superior, notions."

"Command us, O King. We stand ready to obey."


"I don't take kindly to brown-nosers, Metter," The Emperor says unabashedly, "But I get your point. And I agree. I suppose you are all still too young. Your first battle is to be a city fight, perhaps I am asking too much... Very well, let us not talk of who is lead whom." He stands, silently ordering all commanders to the war room.
"Let us talk of war."
Perpetually locked in a Mathamancy/Turnamancy link.
Acorntail
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:56 am
Location: Down Under

Re: Commander

Postby understandslittle » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:35 am

Tank follows adjusting his helm.
understandslittle
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:29 am

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest