Commanders

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Commander

Postby Sir Shadow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:49 am

I turn as the King and his retinue arrive at the War Room. "Your Majesty," is my greeting as I bow and glance at the others. I step aside from the prominent position from where I had been examining the map, allowing the King to take his place.
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Postby LTDave » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:54 am

"Von brown-nosers, your Majesty." Metter Nick mutters as he follows to the room of war.
LTDave

Postby GWvsJohn » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:17 am

Prince Macho gives Metter a glare.

Not much tact for a diplomat

He then dutifully follows his father to the war room.
I know how it works. And I'm not that confident.
GWvsJohn

Postby LTDave » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:34 am

Metter Nick smiles at the Prince, eyes darting side to side, and gives a little nod.
LTDave

Postby Acorntail » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:16 am

The War Room stands at the top of the tower of Lore, in a glass room capable of overseeing the entire city and neighbouring hexes. Finally being able to see beyond the walls, reveals the landscape. Lore stands at the edge of an ocean, which extends outwards to the north-east. To the north-west, scrublands stretch outwards. To the west and south-west, mountains, to the south-east, forests. Mists and clouds in the distance betray the name Southern Mires; this is a wet, hot land.

The war room itself is concave, with a map of the surrounding area sitting in the centre depression. The pedestal it stands upon looks weathered, not something that popped with the city. The pedestal is a magic item, and allows the map to be 'scrolled' without additional parchment required. It is hexagonal, like most maps, and conveniently each commander and their emperor can stand around the map, a unit to each edge. The map is simple - lacking the fine details of a side blessed with a Lookamancer or Signamancer. Small blips float above the surface, revealing the position of the Archons, whose natural Eyeamancy is feeding back into the map. The pedestal displays small magical markers that, although not magically tied to the units, can serve in the same function figurines would on a conventional map. It reeks of Foolamancy, Thinkamancy and Signamancy.

The Emperor stands over the map, pointing with a swagger stick at the marker representing Lore.
"Most of our intelligence comes from maps we recovered upon sacking the city. We know the exact location of four cities, and know how to reach the fifth. It will require travel by sea, so until we pop ships we must rely on our fliers." He motions on the map, marking the location of each city.

Perpetually locked in a Mathamancy/Turnamancy link.
Acorntail

Postby LTDave » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:37 am

"Bon, Majesty. Shall we focus our immediate attention on those nearest our existing cities, in order to establish a solid border, or on the distant cities, leaving the others to fall in time?"

"Shall we strike them in appropriate narrative fashion? Fourshadow, Plot, Twist, then Diagetic? One presumes that Denouement is over the sea?"
LTDave

Postby Acorntail » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:58 am

LTDave wrote:"Bon, Majesty. Shall we focus our immediate attention on those nearest our existing cities, in order to establish a solid border, or on the distant cities, leaving the others to fall in time?"

"Shall we strike them in appropriate narrative fashion? Fourshadow, Plot, Twist, then Diagetic? One presumes that Denouement is over the sea?"

"I would strike Diagetic first, if not for your inexperience. The Kingdom of Noway controls the northern mountains, and is sure to strike for Diagetic once able. At least those Lore units will recognise no alliance; we have that in our favour. Meatshield is to the east, and will go after Plot. Neither nation would assault Twist, and I doubt they were aware of it, but do not discount an unknown side from the south discovering it. I don't know anything about 'narrative fashion', Diplomat, but you could be right. If you strike at Fourshadow, you can receive reinforcements within a turn from either Lore or Busybody. I would not assault Diagetic, Twist or the fifth city until you are all of higher level. We may need to send Cravens or even, Titan's forbid, an Archon, to Diagetic to keep an eye on things."

He drags the map over the fog of war that sits to the north east of Lore.

"The fifth city... Who knows what state it's in, who is near it or even where it is. All we have are vague directions. It's across the sea, but who knows where. Cravens will scout the sea hexes. Titan's its been a long time since I popped those creatures."
Acorntail

Postby Sir Shadow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:56 am

Titans know I didn’t want to be the first to provide more detailed tactics, but I had already seen what I needed to and come to the same conclusion as Metter.“My Lord, if it pleases you,” Running a hand across the map, it scrolls back to hover over Lore, Fourshadow, and the space between.

“I know I am not a Walord, but if I might make a suggestion... Fourshadow would be a good target for us to get some experience in battle. We're close enough to our cities to request reinforcements if necessary and we can bring a greater portion of our forces to bear sooner anyways due to its proximity." I was sure the King already knew all this, but I had the strangest desire to perhaps 'prove' myself.

“One group of Uncroaked and Wulfs could travel by land along with the Diggers. Once they hit the forest, they could begin tunneling. With 60 Diggers and Heavy Metal Golems, a sizeable force should be able to tunnel beneath the forest and toward foreshadow with decent speed. Once in place a strike team of Archons and Infantry on Peekers could quickly take the Airspace and Tower. The Tunnel team can use the most decayed Uncroaked to screen for traps and will hopefully face little opposition.

“The assaults would happen at the same time. With any luck and if the city is without Leadership, the infantry will be confused and the Tunnel force will be able to take some heat off of the Tower force as they take the Garrison. From there, the majority of our forces can stream from the Tunnels into the city directly, thus avoiding any need to worry about the Walls at all.

I turn to Omgah, “For this plan to work its best, of course, one group would need you to go with them, and I would have to go with the other. I know you just gained it, but if you let me take the Thinkamancy spellbook, I could use it to Ping you when we are in position to strike at Fourshadow’s tunnel. Then, by going with the air group, you could feed information to me about the situation in the Tower as we assault the Tunnels... like if you need to retreat. As for the tunnel group, one ping when we’re ready and two pings in quick succession when we run into a delay.”

“I suggest myself to travel through the tunnels alone or with one of the Warlords. The Tower force will likely need more leadership than the Tunnels, so the rest can go with them. Of course, I can see an argument for the opposite. If I go with the Tower force, I can uncroak more units as we fight and wait for the Tunnel team. I simply think it best if Omgah go with the Tower force because it will be easier for her to retreat if necessary and if there are traps in the Tunnels, well...” I shrug.
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Postby 0beron » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:27 am

I listen diligently to Rax, nodding in agreement to the wisdom of this plan but seeing one significant flaw, which I proceed to point out.
"Our goal is to take these cities as quickly as possible, so we should be looking at planning the entire campaign now in such a way as to be timely and efficient. To that end, I suggest we split our forces thus." I suggest, reaching for a pointer myself.

"We send one of the Warlords along with all the fliers we can muster and strike Diagetic, since it is in danger of falling to another side. The rest of our forces from Lore, along with Rax, rendezvous with units that our other 3 cities can spare at Plot. There we take the city by overwhelming force, and recoup our losses through Croakamancy to continue on to Fourshadow, repeating the process to then take Twist." I explain, moving my pointer along the path we would take.

"Once the 4 cities have fallen, we can examine how best to proceed with claiming the fifth. Perhaps once our Flier group takes Diagetic, they could go to scout this final city and perhaps take it alone if it appears possible." I conclude, folding my hands neatly and hoping this efficient proposal of action would impress Manly.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Sir Shadow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:36 am

"I had considered splitting us up, but I consider it... dangerous. With the number of units we're fielding, the more leadership we have in the hex, the better. But the main issue is that... well, we're all level 1. Once we're all a little stronger, say 3, it will be safer to split up."

I then look at Diagenic, "Not to mention, as the King said, Diagenic is likely to be heavily fortified as it was on the outreaches of Lore's controlled territory. I don't believe the units we have available to send through air will be able to take it."
Sir Shadow

Postby 0beron » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:44 am

"Well let us not forget, Lore's definition of fortification fails to include adequate air defenses. If anyone stands a chance of taking Diagenic, it's fliers. But you raise a fair point, perhaps it is best we follow the course I suggested but leave the fliers with us and have them break off once they have leveled some."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Acorntail » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:51 am

Sir Shadow wrote:"I had considered splitting us up, but I consider it... dangerous. With the number of units we're fielding, the more leadership we have in the hex, the better. But the main issue is that... well, we're all level 1. Once we're all a little stronger, say 3, it will be safer to split up."

I then look at Diagetic, "Not to mention, as the King said, Diagetic is likely to be heavily fortified as it was on the outreaches of Lore's controlled territory. I don't believe the units we have available to send through air will be able to take it."

0beron wrote:"Well let us not forget, Lore's definition of fortification fails to include adequate air defenses. If anyone stands a chance of taking Diagenic, it's fliers. But you raise a fair point, perhaps it is best we follow the course I suggested but leave the fliers with us and have them break off once they have leveled some."

Manly stands back from the pedestal, looking over it and his assembled commanders. They were eager, and surprisingly knowledgeable, but they were so inexperienced.
"Ogmah makes a fair point, Cicatrix. But you must remember, thinkamancer; we were at war for some time. We didn't lose your predecessor to archers; those were air defences that shot him down. Diagetic is so far removed from Knowitall they would not have bothered to set up air defences for us, but that doesn't rule out the possibility. We must plan a campaign. But you are right, it is not viable for you to take Diagetic so lowly levelled. However..."

He stroked his moustache.

"It would not be so difficult for me."
Acorntail

Postby understandslittle » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:00 am

"I would strongly advise against that Sir. Until we have an heir risking you, no matter how high level you are is not a good idea!"
understandslittle

Postby Acorntail » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:06 am

understandslittle wrote:"I would strongly advise against that Sir. Until we have an heir risking you, no matter how high level you are is not a good idea!"

"Yes... Yes, I know. I said so myself, 'these walls are a prison of my own design'. I do not like playing the waiting royal; I was never a courtier of my father's. A Man should be out there fighting, not sitting at home waiting for someone else to do his work for him... But I understand."

He looks towards Macho.

"Take heed, Prince. Knowitall's next ruler may be you."
Acorntail

Postby Sir Shadow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:09 am

I turn to Omgah, "Just because you can take a city's garrison doesn't mean you can hold it aginst whatever units are left there."
Sir Shadow

Postby 0beron » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:13 am

Sir Shadow wrote:I turn to Omgah, "Just because you can take a city's garrison doesn't mean you can hold it aginst whatever units are left there."
"Of course we can. If we claim the garrison, any other units left become captives remember? In an unled city, that should be easy because I doubt units outside the garrison will redeploy without orders, but you raise a fair point that in a led city, speed is of the essence, which is why I propose we go the route of overwhelming force bringing as many units as we can spare. We can't afford to siege these cities like Manly did, we must take one every turn if possible."
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Acorntail » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:17 am

0beron wrote:
Sir Shadow wrote:I turn to Omgah, "Just because you can take a city's garrison doesn't mean you can hold it aginst whatever units are left there."
"Of course we can. If we claim the garrison, any other units left become captives remember? In an unled city, that should be easy because I doubt units outside the garrison will redeploy without orders, but you raise a fair point that in a led city, speed is of the essence, which is why I propose we go the route of overwhelming force bringing as many units as we can spare. We can't afford to siege these cities like Manly did, we must take one every turn if possible."

Manly held out a finger.
"Do not forget that the garrison consists of three zones, caster, all of which must be controlled. Tower, courtyard and dungeon; each must be clear of enemy units before the city falls."
Acorntail

Postby 0beron » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:20 am

I nod "Indeed. I think we can assume the Tower will be weakly defended, and with fliers joining us that zone should be ours quickly. Since Rax had a good plan with the tunnels, we should stick with that. Once we burst into the Dungeon we can take it, and then even if the city has Leadership, any units outside the Courtyard will have to come through bottlenecks in the inner walls, correct? We should have an advantage once we claim the dungeon."
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Sir Shadow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:22 am

I nod, agreeing with Manly and Ogmah's observation, "That was the basis of my plan."
Sir Shadow

Postby understandslittle » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:58 am

"How will we deal with air defenses? Throw Peekers at them until they're exhausted? Or mass fly in, taking losses as they come?"
understandslittle

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games