Epilogue 08 - Parson and Wanda Dissect the Battle

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Epilogue 08 - Parson and Wanda Dissect the Battle

Postby ftl » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:31 pm

Perhaps people aren't using words the same way, but it seems to me that it's a stretch to describe wanda as 'exalted". That word has connotations of admiration, I think, and most people don't particularly like or admire Wanda. Sizemore maybe, but that's about it.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:08 pm

ftl wrote:That word has connotations of admiration, I think, and most people don't particularly like or admire Wanda.
She's a very powerful caster. That's bound to be respected in the Magic Kingdom. No one likes to see his friends uncroaked, but that doesn't mean you deny casting ability for what it is. Also, high level units tend to be taken as leaders by lower level units. Consider Isaac: "By means of his long lifetime of active casting, he recently achieved the rarely reached level of 11. Although this makes him the highest Headmaster in the Magic Kingdom, Issac leads only when necessary." There is also Jillian's little talk with Webinar in Book 1, Page 50. I don't know if she's talking about level or leadership, but apparently Erfworlders respect numbers.
Lilwik

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:44 am

Except Wanda and Jillian both describe Croakamancy as unpopular. I don't see why people would respect a person who is high level that they hate and think is evil.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby GrandReaper » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:04 pm

GrandReaper wrote:It sounds like Rob might have gotten himself mixed up with this one. Considering all the balls he has in the air with the story alone (in multiple timelines) on top of all the extra stuff going on in his life it was unavoidable. I am curious to see how it is resolved though.

The answer: Retconjuration. Works for me. Now we have the lead in for a good ol' fashioned Archon hunt. Yeee haw!
GrandReaper

Postby Lilwik » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:30 pm

It turns out that all of Parson's worst fears about the decrypted Archons were real. This puts a whole new angle on the captured Archon leaking intelligence. The Archon might actually be a source of intelligence for Parson, but I expect that Charlie will be able to block the Archon's Thinkamancy without difficulty.
Lilwik

Postby ManaCaster » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:38 pm

Interesting that the captured Archon is named after a mythological demon. Has some interesting implications for when she meets with Charlie again.
ManaCaster

Postby Shai_hulud » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:11 pm

So... she went from being a despondent emo to "moar magical girls plz" with this retcon. An interesting way to change it I guess.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby spriteless » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:08 am

I wonder if Charlie can see through them too. Whelp! I guess I'll re-read books 1.5 and 2 with this knowledge in mind! (Right after I get through my re-read of MSPA)
T'was a splendidly speedy defection.
spriteless

Postby kiyote » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:25 am

Interesting that the captured Archon is named after a mythological demon. Has some interesting implications for when she meets with Charlie again.

According to most stories, Lilith was Adam's first wife, created at the same time he created Adam, and was equal to him in every way. Apparently, God always planned women to be subservient to men, making them sandwiches, but Lilith was the first feminist, and wanted none of it. When God sent down an angel to force her back into the kitchen, she used God's name as a cheat code, and ran off, mostly hanging out with Satan and his crew. That's when God created the more subservient Eve, whose apple pie recipe would have disastrous consequences.
kiyote
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby ManaCaster » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:17 pm

kiyote wrote:

According to most stories, Lilith was Adam's first wife, created at the same time he created Adam, and was equal to him in every way. Apparently, God always planned women to be subservient to men, making them sandwiches, but Lilith was the first feminist, and wanted none of it. When God sent down an angel to force her back into the kitchen, she used God's name as a cheat code, and ran off, mostly hanging out with Satan and his crew. That's when God created the more subservient Eve, whose apple pie recipe would have disastrous consequences.

Yes, I am aware of this. As with many mythologies, everything is a bit fuzzy. In that particular myth, she is is indeed the first woman, but even then, she is generally regarded as a demon.

She is immortal, but in many ways, lower than humans, both of which are probably because she left the Garden before the fruit of knowledge got eaten. After leaving Adam, she goes off to breed with Samael, an angel of death, as well as other men, to produce more demons. She becomes a bad omen to human babies.
ManaCaster

Postby Shai_hulud » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:46 pm

And of course that story wasn't written until, like, the dark ages. Before that she was the magical maid of a goddess.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Sir Shadow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:11 pm

The Catholics do have a habit of absorbing pagan religions.
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:23 am

...What? You mean Jews, right? That story is Jewish. Lillith is ancient middle eastern.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby LasVegasLurker » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:12 pm

So Wanda can see and hear whatever one (or more) of the Decrypted Archons are seeing and hearing? Considering some of Parson's extracurricular activities with the Archons, should he be concerned?
LasVegasLurker

Postby drachefly » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:45 pm

What did he actually do with them? Look embarrassed. Then, probe them for intel.

I don't see a problem here.
drachefly

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:49 pm

She knows he says humina around cute babes. That may be useful to her machinations later on. Her sexy machinations.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Zain » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:58 pm

Fairly sure one of the Summer Update pages actually had Parson out and out refusing to do anything, out of fear that Wanda could in fact do exactly this. Kinda surprising how well Parson nailed a capacity that was never hinted at by Wanda up til now. And freaky that it functions just like her Doll did. What does that mean for Decrypted in general, in terms of what they physically are.
Zain

Postby Shai_hulud » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:27 am

She said it only works on the Archons because of their natural Thinkamancy. So it says more about Archons, Thinkamancy, and Dollamancy.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Tonot » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:31 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:She knows he says humina around cute babes. That may be useful to her machinations later on. Her sexy machinations.

We have no plus button, so I have to do it this way.

+1

:lol:
Tonot

Postby technojunkie » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:42 pm

spriteless wrote:I wonder if Charlie can see through them too.

This was my first thought after reading the 'second great retconjuration'. But that is also partly quelled by him wanting a captured archon. He either wants to find out what she told parson or he's just as curious about turning as Jillian is.

That could be how he managed to compile a detailed dossier on Parson.
technojunkie
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions