Epilogue 12 - Maggie and the Great Minds

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Epilogue 12 - Maggie and the Great Minds

Postby balder » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:28 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Epilogue 12 - Maggie and the Great Minds

Postby Lipkin » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:49 am

So it wasn't Charlie pretending to be Maggie. Good that that wild guessing was nipped in the bud.

It's interesting that Parson's greatest strength may not be his mind, but his heart. If Parson were ruthless and cold, it's unlikely Maggie would be so ready to give up so much.
Last edited by Lipkin on Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lipkin

Postby Deo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:49 am

You go Maggie!

Thats the right decision to make!
Deo

Postby No one in particular » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:54 am

Maggie wrote:Well. She supposed that would become her personal problem. At least she knew her own heart. She'd settled certain matters before this conversation, too.

Come OOOONNNN~! With a set up like this, how am I the only one who's written Maggie/Parson fic? I mean, this is barely subtext, it's more like text!
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby Lipkin » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:04 am

No one in particular wrote:
Maggie wrote:Well. She supposed that would become her personal problem. At least she knew her own heart. She'd settled certain matters before this conversation, too.

Come OOOONNNN~! With a set up like this, how am I the only one who's written Maggie/Parson fic? I mean, this is barely subtext, it's more like text!

In the update with Parson and Maggie, she decided she would do whatever it took for Parson to destroy Charlie. That's the non-shipping interpretation. And she's now going through with that promise.
Lipkin

Postby mortissimus » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:31 am

Interesting to get a look into the Thinkomancer's power structure. Think alike or forget about a longterm academic career. No wonder they use Headmaster for title.
mortissimus

Postby Krennson » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:37 am

So thinkamancers can lie to each other in direct mind-to-mind communication? that's very interesting.

The next question will be, can PARSON lie to a thinkamancer? because once Maggie tells him about thinkamancer research theories, he has to decide whether to start Personal research projects, seperate from the great minds, to investigate the ramifications and possibilities, or whether he wants to reveal his knowledge to the Thinkamancers, and demand that they begin research projects under his direction.
Krennson

Postby mortissimus » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:44 am

Maggie can wait to fill in the bits the Great Minds leave out until they are home again.
mortissimus

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:08 am

Maggie just paid all of her dues with Parson, by keeping the Great Minds from messing with his G-string.

Though he always seemed more of a boxers guy to me.
Jabberwocky

Postby arkerpay » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:35 am

How belittling the "Great" Minds are. Who do they think they are, the Jedi council?
arkerpay

Postby BakaGrappler » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:59 am

It's not that people are not recognizing the existence of such a possibility, but that they don't dare hope it will come about. Maggie is far too manipulative and betrayed Parson's trust too many times for him to bring her into his bed. Parson is no Samson. For him, it'd be like sleeping with a Mind Flayer, too much could go wrong.

I'm more a fan of Parson and Artemis hooking up. That would be optimal in my mind.
An epic space opera where you fully customize your Captain's Background, Military Career, and Court Martial.
Will you prevent civilization from fracturing and win back your honor? Or betray the Empress' trust and plunder the galaxy?
BakaGrappler

Postby hehehe426 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:36 am

BakaGrappler wrote:

It's not that people are not recognizing the existence of such a possibility, but that they don't dare hope it will come about. Maggie is far too manipulative and betrayed Parson's trust too many times for him to bring her into his bed. Parson is no Samson. For him, it'd be like sleeping with a Mind Flayer, too much could go wrong.

I'm more a fan of Parson and Artemis hooking up. That would be optimal in my mind.

Pff, don't you know how shipping works? It doesn't matter if they're canon~!

And to No-One, I'd love to write one, I just can't seem to find a way to slot one into Erfworld's rigid storyline-setting. >w< Besides, I more actively ship Jack/Jillian or Jack/Wanda myself. And this fandom is surprisingly inactive in the typical areas in any case, hence the lower number of shipping fics.
Last edited by hehehe426 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
hehehe426
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Nargrakhan » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:46 am

"As a non-caster, he will only be concerned with specific capabilities."

Are the Great Minds not aware Parson is a caster... or is Parson not a caster?
Nargrakhan
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Lipkin » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:09 am

Nargrakhan wrote:"As a non-caster, he will only be concerned with specific capabilities."

Are the Great Minds not aware Parson is a caster... or is Parson not a caster?

I'd say they are wrong on both counts. He's a caster, and would be very interested in specific capabilities.
Lipkin

Postby zilfallon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:36 am

Ah, another case of Hamster's "allies" deciding which information he needs or not. Hiding information from the guy who makes plans seems to be the trend in Erfworld :D Well, it's not like others have done it in the past and caused boop to hit the fan. Oh wait, that actually happened :P Well, I'm glad Maggie learned her lesson at least.
rkyeun wrote:Roses are red.
Violets are blue.

zilfallon

Postby multilis » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:53 am

On shipping Parson and Maggie... people can "belong" to others in non sexual way, eg a knight to their king, one brother to another, a child to their parent or reverse.

At same time people can have "love" in a sexual way and yet not belong, eg Wanda and Jill, they may still go in different directions, keep secrets, be selfish, etc.

On great thinkers, not hard to see this being conclusion... we already saw the vote before and reasons why... they perhaps correctly fear that Parson may end up similar or perhaps even worse threat then Charlie. If Parson kills Charlie then Parson likely captures the dish. What happens to them if Parson can attune to the dish? Of course not showing full trust can backfire, make Parson more likely to be a threat to them later.
multilis

Postby Mikalyaran » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:39 am

Does anyone feel like they are clear on what kind of a threat Charlie really poses to the Great Minds? In this update they seem primarily concerned with keeping metaphysical stuff from him. Complicated Thinkamancers stuff. Furthermore, as barbarian with no side WHAT kind of a threat is he really? Si what if he can fuck with the g-strings and frequencies and such. They arn't really in the game so to speak. Many of them hire out to sides for short contracts mostly if to sides at all. They want their secrets protected but I have yet to see compelling evidence of why they things they want to hide (G-strings being the only concrete example I can think of.) are so valuable/worth hiding. So what? Charlie isn't blabbing about it to everyone anyway. What the hell is worth all this effort to them? Am I missing something?
Mikalyaran
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Zeku » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:17 am

I realize that Parson is the "hero," but heroes become who they are in significant part to their circumstance. The clue is given at the start of this update, that everyone needs particular activities to maintain their current behavioral trends, and this is highlighted in simpler people like Stanley.

What happens when Parson discovers that he cannot leave, that Erfworld is an unsatisfying closed loop, and that he doesn't actually have allies who want to achieve survival, peace, or (objective unknown?) What if he discovers that Erf is just a bunch of people serving themselves? What happens when Parson discards the assumptions of the world he originally came from, or begins to realize that many moral rules exist only to ensure obedience from the weak?

Everyone assumes that they are the main player. We only believe Parson deserves all information because we are choosing to view the story from his eyes. The Great Minds are also 'main players' and they also intend to use the resource (Parson) to serve their end. Charlie is also a 'main player' and he has acted continuously to ensure his survival, and the completion of his unknown goal.

How offensive would you find the death of Parson, and Charlie as the new main character?
Zeku

Postby 0beron » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:24 am

Zeku wrote:...everyone needs particular activities to maintain their current behavioral trends, and this is highlighted in simpler people like Stanley.
I'm not sure if I'm understanding your wording correctly, but if I am, I think you interpreting the Stanley thing totally wrong. Maggie needs to give him "activities" so that he doesn't have time to think and make his own decisions without advice. It's not that she needs him to continue behaving as he has, it's that she needs to prevent him from being reckless.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby atalex » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:04 pm

Personally, I've thought it was pretty much text since this update - http://www.erfworld.com/summer-update-2009-archive/?px=%2FE044_celebrenithil_MaggieParson.png - where Maggie practically told Parson that she was amenable to him dominating her into sex.
Maggie's eyes did something entirely different this time, they sort of flashed. "An Archon, or any unit, Lord."
atalex

Next

Return to Reactions