Commanders

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Commanders

Postby Sir Shadow » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:31 am

With any looming threat gone, I dismount the Wulf and go eat my rations.
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Postby GWvsJohn » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:11 am

Last edited by GWvsJohn on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
GWvsJohn

Postby Sir Shadow » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:12 pm

"We might want to keep the Archons here to scout the surrounding hexes for wild units that might have popped." I suggest, "We might still be able to get some combat experience in before Plot."
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Postby LTDave » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:42 pm

"An excellent plan, My Prince! Eh Bien, Avanti!"

[Metter takes 7 Peekers in a stack and flies back to Lore. NW, NW, W, W, W.]

[In the event the journey is disturbed, or his flight path disrupted, Metter will not engage opposition forces automatically]

[In the event that he arrives at the Capital unimpeded, he will proceed in search of King Manly, and say something along these lines:]

"O Great King! Your Commanders in the field desire more information about the events of this morning, so that they can plan the campaign with wisdom and efficiency. Permit me then to ask - who is it that is in our battlespace thisturn?"
LTDave

Postby Acorntail » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:33 pm

Metter finds Manly in the throne room, alongside two freshly popped stacks of archers and an Archon. The Emperor does not seem impressed to see Metter has returned.

"... And this," he continues to the new units, "Is one of your warlords; a diplomat called Metter Nick von Brawn. He's supposed to be in the field on his way to conquering a neutral city. Why aren't you, diplomat?"

LTDave wrote:"O Great King! Your Commanders in the field desire more information about the events of this morning, so that they can plan the campaign with wisdom and efficiency. Permit me then to ask - who is it that is in our battlespace thisturn?"

Manly raises a bushy eyebrow. "Why couldn't Ogmah just thinkagram me? Regardless, Knowitall has always had an average turn; it's not too unusual that we didn't start turn at daybreak, just concerning. Lore and her allies would take turn after us. I'd imagine, given that Lore has fallen, that the turn belonged to Barbarians, or to Noway if they move before us. Meatshield has always taken turn after us, but we never saw Noway not allied with Lore. Be wary, Metter."
Perpetually locked in a Mathamancy/Turnamancy link.
Acorntail

Postby Sir Shadow » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:03 pm

Assuming that everyone's in agreement, can we have some Archons scout the surrounding hexes? They should be able to make a 4-hex perimeter search around us and still be able to stay with the stack. Those moving East can search further to create a similar search pattern. They can report back to Omgah even.

On the same note of scouting, the Cravens coming to our position should also be able to make a search of the hexes.
Sir Shadow

Postby LTDave » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:41 pm

"As to Thinkamancy, Great King, I cannot but speculate, and to do so would be ungenerous. I believe that Ogmah is experiencing some, uh, painful feedback on the connections. Perhaps she is still learning her craft? I can not say."

"So, just to clarify Majesty - there have been no encounters thisturn? Our scouts have not been attacked? Bon."

"Shall I take these new units to rejoin the army? Do you have any more specific instructions, or words of encouragement for your commanders?"
LTDave

Postby Acorntail » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:25 am

LTDave wrote:"As to Thinkamancy, Great King, I cannot but speculate, and to do so would be ungenerous. I believe that Ogmah is experiencing some, uh, painful feedback on the connections. Perhaps she is still learning her craft? I can not say."

"So, just to clarify Majesty - there have been no encounters thisturn? Our scouts have not been attacked? Bon."

"Shall I take these new units to rejoin the army? Do you have any more specific instructions, or words of encouragement for your commanders?"

Manly's eyes go wide, then he frowns, exhaling sharply and rubbing his brow. He taps his Krown.
"That would be my fault; the Krown is intended to protect from Thinkamancy, but I can allow my own casters access. I... forgot. It has been so long, and I was so used to Brainiac it slipped my mind entirely."
He concentrates for a moment, then nods.
"She should be able to contact me now."

The Emperor shakes his head.
"No, there have been no encounters. Whatever shall happen has yet to happen." He gestures to the new units, "You may have the Archon, but the infantry should stay here. Without Cicatrix, the uncroaked will decay soon enough; Lore will need the living. Rejoin the column, and try not to croak on the way."

Acorntail

Postby LTDave » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:06 pm

"Thankyou, your Majesty. I will return to my duties."

Metter Nick turns to the Archon, and invites her to join the stack of Peekers.

"En Avant!"

[E,E,E,SE,SE]

Returning to the Column, Metter Nick recounts the events while he eats his rations.

"No engagements. The King predicts an encounter later in this turn, however."

Turning to Ogmah: "His Majesty apologises that his magical crown interfered with your Think-a-message. He has altered the default settings to allow you better access."

To the group at large: "This Archon is Miz Felicity Lemon. I believe that she will be of special assistance to me, and augment my shortcomings with her remarkable abilities. If there are no objections, I wish for her to remain a permanent part of my, how to put it? Entourage."

To the Warlords: "The King orders us to advance. There are woods ahead. I suggest we skirt them to the South to arrive at Plot sooner. Shall we plan to march E, SE, SE, E, E? I, or Tank, can arrange scouting of the path?"

"I also wondered, en route, as to whether we could use the Wulfs and Peekers to transport the army closer to the target city more quickly. If each mount could carry two units, we could move a sizeable portion of the force to within striking distance of Plot this turn - say, 4SE of the city. We could bring, Oh, 106 infantry units there this turn, and strike Plot next turn with another 100 Infantry, and of course the Archons."

"If speed is not of the essence, then we should continue, ponderously, as we have."
LTDave

Postby GWvsJohn » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:54 pm

Last edited by GWvsJohn on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
GWvsJohn

Postby Sir Shadow » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:39 pm

(( which brings up a good question, when should we expect the Cravens to join us? They should have popped this turn, right? ))

"Going directly through the forest will be fastest, given the terrain. Going around would just waste move."
Sir Shadow

Postby 0beron » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:50 am

"Rax makes an excellent point. Shall we depart then?" I suggest, striding over to a Peeker. "Rax would you care to join me aloft? I expect it will be a little quieter up there and more conducive to continuing our study." I add in, holding the spellbook.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:35 am

Growing impatient for a decision to be made, I check briefly whether the Scouts are already on their way here, and if not dispatch orders for them to join us. Those that are coming from our other cities besides Lore will scout the area ahead of us, checking each hex we will walk through as well as the adjacent ones. "Shall we gentlemen? Speed is our goal, so a direct path through the forest is the most logical approach. I have dispatched scouts accordingly so once we detect all is clear, we shall depart."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby GWvsJohn » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:18 am

GWvsJohn

Postby Acorntail » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:55 am

GWvsJohn wrote:"Agreed, let's move out, yeah!"

As you march into the second of the light forest hex, you see the Cravens arriving from the south-east. An arrow zips up at them, but misses. You have been engaged. You have the advantage, and stack with the units of your choice. (Choose your stack.) The Cravens join with the column, which continues onwards and tramples over a campsite. A blue banner and several units in blue livery denote themselves as units of Meatshield. Their raiment is emblazoned with a ham-leg with two arrows sticking out of it. Several elves are with them, and appear to be natural allies. From what Manly has told you, Meatshield being this far west is unusual. They appear to have been heading north east before their turn ended.

A blonde warlord leads the Meatshield units. They are severely out numbered. Regardless they seem intent to fight, and stack with one another. The Woodsy Elves are archers, and Meatshield's own archer units stand at the ready. Your first engagement has begun.

Pre-Combat:
It is your turn, thus you have the initiative. When you are engaging an enemy, you can do so in stacks. A stack has a maximum of 16 units. Mounted units and their mounts count individually, and heavy units count as 2 units. A stack will only provide up to a +8 bonus to your roll, but having more units in a stack lets you make more rolls at once. Every unit in a stack rolls their own attack roll, which is then added up collectively and the stack bonus added to this score. Some units provide additional bonuses.

Each of you may choose a stack to join with before the combat begins. Having initiative lets you decide your stack composition. Not having initiative would means you would remain in the stack you were before, or would have to change stacks during combat, which leaves you vulnerable.

Declaring Combat:

Step 1: Declare your personal stance; attack, defend or cast.
- Attack: Deal your own damage either with a weapon or magic.
- Defend: Keep yourself safe.
- Cast (Caster's Only): Cast a non-combat spell. You are vulnerable when casting.

Step 2: Declare your stack's tactics; screen yourself, swarm the enemy, skirmish or do not engage.
- Screen: Hits intended for you will first be dealt to units that screen you until none remain.
- Swarm: Every unit attacks at once for maximum number advantage; but no additional stack bonuses.
- Skirmish: Stacks of 8 attack one after the other for optimised stack bonus.
- Do not engage: Stacks will not attack or draw attention to themselves.

Step 3: Declare your orders.
- What is the intended goal of your engagement? Capture an enemy commander? Croak all enemy units? Retreat? This can generally be role-played.

Remember, you can add any new stances or tactics you can think of, just say what you want your units to do and I'll plug in the numbers.

Combat:
You have two steps during a combat round:
1. Move: Your movement. It can be to physically move, or to change your stance, etc. Your Move stat determines whether you move before your enemy.
2. Action: Your action. It can be to attack, cast a spell, order a unit to do something specific, etc.

First, your moves are made. Then, if it is possible to do your action, you do it, and your opponent does theirs, if they still can. Then, the next round begins. In most instances, your moves will repeat themselves unless you give a condition to stop, or something significant occurs, such as not dealing any damage three rounds in a row, or being incapacitated, etc.
Acorntail

Postby 0beron » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:47 pm

I immediately urge my Peeker to Dive, coming down to ground. "Golems, to me!" I order, the implied instruction being that they were to stack up with me and screen for me. "The Warlord would be a great asset, we should attempt to capture!" I advise my peers, but do not make it a formal order to the infantry as this was a matter of combat logistics. Believing the Boomstick to be a ranged weapon, I take aim at the Meatshield archers and fire from a distance, where the Golems could protect me.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby GWvsJohn » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:16 pm

GWvsJohn

Postby Sir Shadow » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:02 pm

Macho had a decent idea, but I had no intention of 'staying safe' at least not how he considered it. Right now, with the uncroaked, I was as good as Warlord. I dove down on my Peeker close to the ground and sent a silent command to muster the Uncroaked. While it was a good idea to use the most decayed, their lower hits would be a liability. A mixed group of pikers and stabbers join Macho's stack as I summon the Knight, mounted on a Dire Wulf.

My stack will be composed of the Knight--with Dire Wulf--8 Pikers, 6 Archers, and myself still on the Peeker. With them prepared, I wait for Macho's stack to begin moving with the intention of engaging in a pincer. If we can, we'll go after the Elves or the Archers.

(Somebody should give the Archons orders. They should probably go for the boar.)

Combat:

if we are close enough to engage:
Personal Stance: Attack
Stack Tactics: Skirmish
Orders: Move in and engage. Capture Warlord if able, kill everything else.

if we are -not- close enough to engage:
Personal Stance: Defend
Stack Tactics: Screen
Orders: Move in and prepare to engage on next combat round.
Sir Shadow

Postby understandslittle » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:25 pm

"Come on! 6 Archons stack up. Two more peekers hop in and screen me! Archons target the War Bore!" Tank flies up, and gets screened by two Peekers. Then he stacks with six archons who target the war bore.

Spoiler: show
Declaring Combat:

Step 1: Declare your personal stance. Defend

Step 2: Declare your stack's tactics. Swarm & Screen

Step 3: Declare your orders. Kill the Warbore

Combat:
You have two steps during a combat round:
1. Move: Fly up
2. Action: Order two Peekers to screen me.
understandslittle

Postby LTDave » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:44 pm

"Mon Gott! Elfs in the forest! Who would have thought such a thing!"

"It is a, how you say? Bacon tree!"

"Miz Lemon! Stack with me."

Metter Nick Von Brawn will stack with all the remaining Peekers and Miz Lemon.

Personal Stance: Defence
Stack's Tactics: Skirmish
Orders: The Peekers are to remain above the combat, drawing archery fire if possible while the ground troops finish off the enemy.

{Sorry for my absence - I'm back now}
LTDave

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games