Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 076

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 076

Postby balder » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:35 pm

New One is up.
balder

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 076

Postby Radagast » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:44 pm

I really like the prequel Jillian. Why can't the actual book-Jillian be more like her?

(I presume we'll find out...)
Radagast

Postby ShieldOfAthena » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:48 pm

More confirmation that Charlie in particular is good at messing with natural allies.
ShieldOfAthena
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby hehehe426 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:03 pm

wow.
well done jillian.
just wow.
hehehe426
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby ManaCaster » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:23 pm

It's starting to look like one of Charlie's biggest secrets involves Flower Power.
ManaCaster

Postby Azukar » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:23 pm

Why does Charlie have his own stock of Hero Buds?
"That's classified."

I wonder if he's addicted to them, too?
---

-Az
Azukar

Postby No one in particular » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:25 pm

Ha! Called it.

No one in particular wrote:Also, I think this will be what finally gets Jillian to kick her Bud dependancy (or at least seriously try to).

Loyalty, Duty, self-preservation, Love... these are all powerful motivators, but one must NEVER underestimate the power of Spite. Jillian'll go cold turkey just to spit in the face of Charlie's offer.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:25 pm

If he didn't want the garden, what was it he wanted from Olive?
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:51 pm

Azukar wrote:Why does Charlie have his own stock of Hero Buds?
"That's classified."

Or rather, still addicted to them. Olive already stated he had a dependency on them.
Lipkin

Postby 0beron » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:55 pm

Perhaps Charlie genuinely believes he's better than Olive? Or at the very least, in order to convincingly appear so, he has to act this way?
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Azukar » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:19 pm

Lipkin wrote:Or rather, still addicted to them. Olive already stated he had a dependency on them.

Ooo, good point. I'd forgotten that. (This is assuming she was telling the truth, after all)
---

-Az
Azukar

Postby Deo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:17 am

She has a rapidly growing hate of charlie right now, that I cannot help but wonder what happens.

While she does not seem to like working with him in the future, it does not seem like she hates him as much as she just dislikes him.

I think we are going to see some more interaction between Jillian and Charlie that at least forms a better understanding between those two before Inner Peace is over, and give us even more insight into Charlie then what we have seen so far.
Deo

Postby Guppy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:26 am

"That's classified."

And to follow up, How does Charlie have his own stock of Hero Buds? Does he need Florist skills to grow them, or does an previously planted Olive garden self-perpetuate?
Guppy

Postby Tonot » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:38 am

I think people are underestimating Charlie here.

Just knowing as much about Jillian in those days as we do from the Inner Peace storyline, would any of us expect rational behaviour from her, if we went to offer her more buds right at that time point?. Or ever, in fact?. Charlie knows that much and more about her, from his covert-ops gatherings.

I posit that Charlie hatted a bud to his flying-handmaidens and said just "Offer this to Jillian as a sweetener" and relied on them offering it with their indoctrinated "Charlie is good" attitude, to a person who does not think Charlie is good and then he sat back and stroked his white pussy-cat and said "Yes, tiny frog-princess, jump in fury at my goading, but jump the way I expect/know you can not avoid. Ha. Hahaha. MHUHAHAHAHA"
Tonot

Postby Lilwik » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:40 am

Guppy wrote:How does Charlie have his own stock of Hero Buds? Does he need Florist skills to grow them, or does an previously planted Olive garden self-perpetuate?
He was ruler of el-Efbaum the last time he was in the city, so he was probably free to do as he pleased with the garden, including taking as many samples as he liked. He's a caster, so he could probably do some Flower Power if he put in enough effort to learn it, but he could also have simply hired a Florist from the Magic Kingdom.
Lilwik

Postby Lor » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:40 am

Do the buds provide a bonus to thinkamancers?
Bud .. wiser?
I do apologize.

Or another note, cheers for the amount of will that just took. Wonder if the deal will change to a permanent cure for Jillian and/or Wanda? That could be another reason why Wanda has the flower in her livery. The skull for her skills, and the flower as a reminder of those times.
Sir Cedric: Delayed? How so?
Wamba: Well, when I heard Normans were approaching I ran to lock up my wife. But, she'd also heard they were approaching, and locked me up instead.
Lor
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby bpzinn » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:41 am

"That's classified."

That is my personal belief. Either he is at the point where stopping will kill him, or so addicted that to withdraw he needs to destroy every bud he knows exists so he won't do something stupid (like deal with Olive again) to get another fix during withdrawal. So he would need to destroy Olives Garden before destroying his.

Shai_hulud wrote:If he didn't want the garden, what was it he wanted from Olive?

I am also going to go out on a limb and say he genuinely believes the garden is evil. He wanted her garden destroyed. Whether that would stop him from using the buds like Olive did if his back was to the wall, I don't know.
bpzinn

Postby niklinna » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:22 am

bpzinn wrote:
"That's classified."

That is my personal belief. Either he is at the point where stopping will kill him, or so addicted that to withdraw he needs to destroy every bud he knows exists so he won't do something stupid (like deal with Olive again) to get another fix during withdrawal. So he would need to destroy Olives Garden before destroying his.

Shai_hulud wrote:If he didn't want the garden, what was it he wanted from Olive?

I am also going to go out on a limb and say he genuinely believes the garden is evil. He wanted her garden destroyed. Whether that would stop him from using the buds like Olive did if his back was to the wall, I don't know.

There's also the distinct possibility that Charlie's still on the buds in Parson's time. Any time he does a Thinkamancy call with somebody, his and their forms are constantly shifting and warping, in sometimes highly psychedelic ways. That, or the buds have permanently deranged him.
niklinna
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Arky » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:40 am

Radagast wrote:I really like the prequel Jillian. Why can't the actual book-Jillian be more like her?

I know, right?

Here's the crunch: the pact with Charlie explains why we never saw Wanda or Jack discuss this stuff in the "present day". We still need a reason for Jillian's similar lack of talking/thinking about it, despite all her interactions with Charlie. ESPECIALLY after this episode, in which Jillian's reasons to loathe Charlie increased by an order of magnitude or two.

It wouldn't surprise me if Charlie came through here with:

1. A threat that even Jillian can't defy (crushing FAQ and slaying King Banhammer, Wanda and Jack perhaps?)
2. For doing this the hard way, an even worse deal for Jillian personally than the ones the others accepted. Not only to not talk about it, but to have her memory of these events wiped, perhaps, eliminating all her character growth save for her love of Wanda still in the back of her mind (with hundreds of turns to rekindle it before Stanley invades).

I hope Jack tells Parson about the Garden. He's already had a taste of the tactical use of Flower Power when Janis halted that fight in the Magic Kingdom, and he must allow in this planning for Charlie to use these tricks.
Arky

Postby Arky » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:44 am

Deo wrote:She has a rapidly growing hate of charlie right now, that I cannot help but wonder what happens.

It seems almost impossible for Jillian to work with Charlie in the future as she has done while retaining full memories of this. The probability that Jillian's memories of this are going to get wiped seems... high.

Also, I like the pun that Jillian has a hatred of charlie. Except that's slang for the wrong drug. She has a hatred of horse!
Arky

Next

Return to Reactions