Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 076

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 076

Postby bpzinn » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:00 am

niklinna wrote:There's also the distinct possibility that Charlie's still on the buds in Parson's time. Any time he does a Thinkamancy call with somebody, his and their forms are constantly shifting and warping, in sometimes highly psychedelic ways. That, or the buds have permanently deranged him.

More than a possibility. Charlie stated he was worried about his secrets coming out. And to my ears I have not heard a really BIG secret he should be worried about until now.

we have: the initial Archon debiref. Which has been out of the bag for a while now. Also, quite possibly misinformation.
Charlies caster status, side history, and familial fallout. Great for the dossier, and to get inside Charlies head. Not something to start a war over to keep hidden in an of itself.

What you can infer from it if you gather all the small details.
1. (if you know the signamancy of the Wizard of Oz) to look for the arken shoes along the far edge of any deserts, probably near the emerald city, or the side Haffatons borders.
2. that Charlie might have the unfun version of spice addiction. "The buds must flow" "He who controls the buds controls the Charlie"

Now THAT sounds like a secret.

And why he did the complete change of plans. Because he knew ALL the details of the Contract; he was part of the link that forged it. You have people who who have enough pieces of the puzzle, bound to secrecy unto the grave. There is Parson, who could put those pieces together. And then Wanda starts resurrecting people from the dead. Charlie could feel Fates noose closing around him.
bpzinn

Postby bpzinn » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:04 am

Arky wrote:It seems almost impossible for Jillian to work with Charlie in the future as she has done while retaining full memories of this. The probability that Jillian's memories of this are going to get wiped seems... high.

Also, I like the pun that Jillian has a hatred of charlie. Except that's slang for the wrong drug. She has a hatred of horse!

Remember the book is not over yet. If she comes to believe he shares her affliction, her current anger might cool. Also, she could likely take the deal in a later episode.
bpzinn

Postby ManaCaster » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:49 am

Arky wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if Charlie came through here with:

1. A threat that even Jillian can't defy (crushing FAQ and slaying King Banhammer, Wanda and Jack perhaps?)

Marie still hasn't taken the contract yet. Until all of Faq's casters sign it, that would be too risky. Marie could escape into the Magic Kingdom and tell all.
ManaCaster

Postby Oberon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:15 am

Tonot wrote:I think people are underestimating Charlie here.
It is just about literally impossible to underestimate a character who has displayed the breadth of powers which Charlie has displayed.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby BakaGrappler » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:07 am

Looks like the power of hate got Jill off the junk.

Rage is a hell of an anesthetic
An epic space opera where you fully customize your Captain's Background, Military Career, and Court Martial.
Will you prevent civilization from fracturing and win back your honor? Or betray the Empress' trust and plunder the galaxy?
BakaGrappler

Postby Lipkin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:09 am

Could Marie refuse to sign, but go barbarian and flee to the Magic Kingdom now?
Lipkin

Postby 0beron » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:22 am

Lipkin wrote:Could Marie refuse to sign, but go barbarian and flee to the Magic Kingdom now?
Well technically sure....but without her FAQ would be doomed and the bubble kingdom would fail even faster.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Amado » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:20 am

Way to go, Jillian!

I never hated you, as so many other forum-dwellers seem to. Now I'm proud of you, kid.

Personally, I cannot begin to imagine how hard it is to break free of that kind of addiction, and thank Titans for that.
Amado

Postby Lipkin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:23 am

0beron wrote:
Lipkin wrote:Could Marie refuse to sign, but go barbarian and flee to the Magic Kingdom now?
Well technically sure....but without her FAQ would be doomed and the bubble kingdom would fail even faster.

I guess that's true...
Lipkin

Postby Kizmet » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:46 am

Finally, Charlie has a real weakness. I have been waiting to see a real weakness other than his over-confidence and seeming affintity for the archons. Sounds like he is still addicted to the buds. Charlie's personal field is serious leverage if you can threaten it.

Also, we learn a little bit more about how natural allies can turn against their alliance. Feels like Stanley is in greater danger the more we learn about them.
Kizmet

Postby Beeskee » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:40 pm

She narrowed her eyes and looked at the bud anew, suddenly seeing it not as a reward, but as an incredibly dangerous enemy. This little pink "unit" had a Special that translated into “beat Jillian personally.” Yeah, that was a good way to look at it.

Booping FINALLY. Jillian starts thinking seriously about her problem.
Beeskee

Postby Megaduck » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:06 pm

BakaGrappler wrote:Rage is a hell of an anesthetic

Yeah, but a stubborn enough son of a bitch can survive just about anything.
Megaduck

Postby Lipkin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:53 pm

Kizmet wrote:Also, we learn a little bit more about how natural allies can turn against their alliance. Feels like Stanley is in greater danger the more we learn about them.

I was going to say "Well, Stanley hasn't really done anything that would stress their alliance."

But then I realize Parson blew up their volcano, basically destroying their home and wiping out a load of their people. That would probably do it.
Lipkin

Postby ManaCaster » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:10 pm

Lipkin wrote:I was going to say "Well, Stanley hasn't really done anything that would stress their alliance."

But then I realize Parson blew up their volcano, basically destroying their home and wiping out a load of their people. That would probably do it.

Ah! But the sole living Hobgobwin, who is Chieftain, has already forgiven this, since Stanley massively boosted his tribe, and the decrypted ones are presumably brainwashed like any other decrypted.

And all their allied gobwins were croaked, so there's no one to be upset about it! Admittedly, this might make it harder to hire any future gobwins, if they can ever even find any.
ManaCaster

Postby Lipkin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:15 pm

ManaCaster wrote:
Lipkin wrote:I was going to say "Well, Stanley hasn't really done anything that would stress their alliance."

Ah! But the sole living Hobgobwin, who is Chieftain, has already forgiven this, since Stanley massively boosted his tribe, and the decrypted ones are presumably brainwashed like any other decrypted.

And all their allied gobwins were croaked, so there's no one to be upset about it! Admittedly, this might make it harder to hire any future gobwins, if they can ever even find any.

I'm not worried about the Hobgobwins. I'm worried about the Gobwins that they should have found by now, but haven't. If Charlie got to them and was like "Hey. Lord Hmaster nuked your home and your people. Why don't you build up your forces on my dime, and then stage a massive attack when they least expect it?" I think they'd probably go for it.
Lipkin

Postby ManaCaster » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:25 pm

Lipkin wrote:I'm not worried about the Hobgobwins. I'm worried about the Gobwins that they should have found by now, but haven't. If Charlie got to them and was like "Hey. Lord Hmaster nuked your home and your people. Why don't you build up your forces on my dime, and then stage a massive attack when they least expect it?" I think they'd probably go for it.

ManaCaster wrote:And all their allied gobwins were croaked, so there's no one to be upset about it! Admittedly, this might make it harder to hire any future gobwins, if they can ever even find any.
ManaCaster

Postby drachefly » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:48 pm

Then why would they be finding so many marbits? I think that's the reason they're not finding gobwins.
drachefly

Postby Kiarean » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:04 am

I think there's something about this update everyone isn't quite getting that makes this a lot more interesting. I'll admit I didn't make the connection either until just now. In our world, Heroin is an opiate, and is a derivative of Morphine. It's entirely possible that Charlie's intentions in preserving the existence of the Heroine Buds actually is for a good reason and that they have a valid medicinal use in Erfworld as well. Don't get me wrong, him offering one to Jillian is about as low as you can go, more so because he is fully capable of realizing how hard an addiction is having gone through it himself and is still offering it to someone whose decision making on the subject is impaired, but him their existence itself isn't as grievious. The Olive Garden then becomes evil because of how it's being used by it's creator.
Kiarean

Postby Arky » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:33 am

If the Heroine Buds have a good use, and Charlie was honestly trying to get Jillian to take the deal, then I would think he'd let the archons say there's a healing use for them as well rather than let Jillian assume the worst.
Arky

Postby Arky » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:34 am

ManaCaster wrote:
Arky wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if Charlie came through here with:

1. A threat that even Jillian can't defy (crushing FAQ and slaying King Banhammer, Wanda and Jack perhaps?)

Marie still hasn't taken the contract yet. Until all of Faq's casters sign it, that would be too risky. Marie could escape into the Magic Kingdom and tell all.

Marie has duty to FAQ. Can't imagine a threat to FAQ which would compel Jillian to sign but not compel Marie to sign.
Arky

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions