Epilogue 13 – Parson and the Temple

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Epilogue 13 – Parson and the Temple

Postby balder » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:56 pm

New one is up. Delayed by technical difficulties and the video will have to be added later.
balder

Re: Epilogue 13 – Parson and the Temple

Postby randint » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:04 pm

Yeah, somehow I'm not so confident as Parson that the thinkamancers can be considered allies. After the discussions we've had, it seems more than half of them fear him more than they fear Charlie...
Maybe they'll summon a perfect warlord to defeat the last perfect warlord...
What Parson's slogan should have been: "We break things. Sometimes that even works."
randint

Postby ftl » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:15 pm

Maggie/Parson shippers continue to have in-comic support!

From the last two paragraphs.

"His brain felt very naked".
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Radagast » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Is that... Vaarsuvius? I would not have thought of her as a Thinkamancer. I would definitely go more with Shockamancer, personally. Maybe I'm wrong about who it is.
Radagast

Postby gobe » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:00 pm

Nice update. It's always a blast to hear Parson's thoughts. I'm not sure I agree with him, but at least he did what he could to protect himself.

This being said, why is he so worried anyway? A lot of people like Wanda and Marie aren't because of Fate. The whole world revolves around arbitrary game-like rules. Fate is just another one. It's like a GM railroading his players within a fixed scenario, he can immediately understand that. So why doesn't he believe in Fate? Is it only because he doesn't want to "play by the rules" in the first place? He doesn't want to be a chess piece on a titan's board? Yet he'll have to recognize one day that Fate does work, that it's part of Erfworld just like turns and falling damage. For now he's only playing the Fate card rhetorically, but eventually he might actually believe in it.
gobe

Postby malroth » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:08 pm

He'll start believing in it right before he destroys it.
Whispri wrote:Plus it's Gillian, it's not evil when they're doing it to Gillian, as half the time it's self defence and the other half she's into it.
malroth

Postby Vahir » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:17 pm

Radagast wrote:Is that... Vaarsuvius? I would not have thought of her as a Thinkamancer. I would definitely go more with Shockamancer, personally. Maybe I'm wrong about who it is.

I made an account to correct this point. That's not V, that's Apostle Sanaki, ruler of the Begnion empire, and the voice of Ashera.

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Sanaki

She's from the fire emblem series, or specifically, #9 and 10 (Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn respectively). Hopefully this will inform the forums once and for all.

On topic: Yeah, the thinkamancers really shouldn't be trusted.

Edit: Wrong wording.
Last edited by Vahir on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vahir

Postby Radagast » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:29 pm

I don't know why people saying that would annoy you.

Anyway, I think the thinkamancers can be trusted up to the exact moment that they find out Maggie does not "Think Alike"....

But imagine what a trimancer link of three thinkamancers could do to your brain... especially Master-class thinkamancers.
Radagast

Postby Jabberwocky » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:44 pm

Did anyone else immediately append 'of Doom' to the title?

Parson and the Tenple of Doom! Kali ma! Kali MA!
Jabberwocky

Postby Oberon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:57 pm

I'd be going in with Wanda and Sizemore at my side. Especially Wanda, for the 'pliers and the statement her attunement makes about fate.

And because I'd prefer for them to get the story first hand, especially if it's going to look a lot like bragging coming from me. "I'm the special instrument of fate, I'll be making radical changes around here." That sort of thing.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Lilwik » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:57 pm

gobe wrote:This being said, why is he so worried anyway? A lot of people like Wanda and Marie aren't because of Fate. The whole world revolves around arbitrary game-like rules. Fate is just another one. It's like a GM railroading his players within a fixed scenario, he can immediately understand that. So why doesn't he believe in Fate?
Fate can only do so much. I personally doubt that Fate ever actually does anything (the burning beam might just have fallen on its own, since the building was on fire), but there can be no doubt that it's not throwing up magical barriers and knocking people down with falling beams every day whenever anyone attempts to go against the plan. That means that Fate is not a director giving instructions to actors on a stage who are magically forced to play their roles.

Fate is more like conspiracy theorist, watching everything and covering his walls with notes about the connections between events, then deciding how things will play out based on his vast all-encompassing theory of everything. In other words, people are probably still mostly responsible for their own lives and can't depend on Fate to magically intervene to make things work out. Fate just watches, makes notes, and mumbles into the ears of Predictamancers about what he thinks is going to happen. If Parson weren't so careful, his Fate would probably involve dying soon rather than whatever his Fate actually is.

Also, there's no reason Parson should think that his Fate goes any further than this temple. For all he knows, his body might fulfill the prophecies as a mindless puppet, or he might fulfill his prophecies just by saying something that gives the Great Minds an amazing new idea that changes everything, then they make it all happen.
Lilwik

Postby ftl » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:13 pm

gobe wrote:This being said, why is he so worried anyway? A lot of people like Wanda and Marie aren't because of Fate. The whole world revolves around arbitrary game-like rules. Fate is just another one. It's like a GM railroading his players within a fixed scenario, he can immediately understand that. So why doesn't he believe in Fate? Is it only because he doesn't want to "play by the rules" in the first place? He doesn't want to be a chess piece on a titan's board? Yet he'll have to recognize one day that Fate does work, that it's part of Erfworld just like turns and falling damage. For now he's only playing the Fate card rhetorically, but eventually he might actually believe in it.

Because he doesn't know what his Fate is, at the very least.

Besides, whatever his Fate is, there might be a way for him to fulfill it as a brainwashed puppet of the Thinkamancers, so it would be pretty hard for anybody to tell him something about his future that would make him feel safe in the Temple.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:35 pm

Vahir wrote:
Radagast wrote:Is that... Vaarsuvius? Maybe I'm wrong about who it is.
I made an account to correct this point. That's not V, that's Apostle Sanaki, ruler of the Begnion empire, and the voice of Ashera.
Well, more accurately she is Empress Saltina, one of the Great Minds.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby peteratjet » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:40 pm

I assume that the temple itself, with it's polychrome columns is a visual reference to something. Any ideas?
peteratjet

Postby 0beron » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:51 pm

peteratjet wrote:I assume that the temple itself, with it's polychrome columns is a visual reference to something. Any ideas?
Probably more Minecraft, especially given those stairs in the background of the second image. Constructing buildings using colored wool blocks is a common thing if you wanna be decorative.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby ManaCaster » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:43 pm

I wonder if Charlie can disrupt caster links. They'll probably have to prepare such things in advance via scrolls if so.
ManaCaster

Postby junovalkyrie » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:59 pm

Vahir wrote:Hopefully this will inform the forums once and for all.

Good luck with that. I think that it has been clarified in nearly every thread for a strip in which she has appeared.

(More generally, with new posters appearing all the time and existing posters skipping over threads, there's pretty much no such thing as informing a forum of anything once and for all. I mean, they still get threads over at GiantITP going "Aha! Did anyone else notice that a character in the latest strip referred to Vaarsuvius as 'she'? Mystery solved!")
junovalkyrie

Postby Chit Rule Railroad » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:05 am

ftl wrote:Besides, whatever his Fate is, there might be a way for him to fulfill it as a brainwashed puppet of the Thinkamancers, so it would be pretty hard for anybody to tell him something about his future that would make him feel safe in the Temple.

His Fate might also be fulfillable by a Parson who has been un-brainwashed, or un-assassinated, by Wanda's reset button. We the readers know Parson is not likely to get decrypted at the beginning of Book 3, but Parson doesn't know that.
Chit Rule Railroad
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby ManaCaster » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:12 am

Chit Rule Railroad wrote:His Fate might also be fulfillable by a Parson who has been un-brainwashed, or un-assassinated, by Wanda's reset button. We the readers know Parson is not likely to get decrypted at the beginning of Book 3, but Parson doesn't know that.

Would Decryption even work on a Stupidworlder? Seems to me that a Stupidworlder's biology would have to be altered quite a bit to function anything like the Decrypted.
ManaCaster

Postby twhitt » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:17 am

Lilwik wrote:Fate can only do so much. I personally doubt that Fate ever actually does anything (the burning beam might just have fallen on its own, since the building was on fire)
http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/?px=%2F2013-05-26.jpg That's a link to the falling beam. It includes a sound effect, written in black: "Manos," drawn with two decorative hands reaching out from the word. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060666/ That's a film that was lampooned by Mystery Science Theater, rightly, because it's quite terrible. But it's titled "Manos: The Hands of Fate."

More directly, then, the literal hands of fate literally pulled the beam down and knocked Hamster out with it. For reals.
twhitt

Next

Return to Reactions