Epilogue 14 - Parson and the Great Minds 1

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Epilogue 14 - Parson and the Great Minds 1

Postby balder » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:39 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Epilogue 14 - Parson and the Great Minds 1

Postby Radagast » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:46 am

Somehow I get the impression that the Great Minds are kinda like the forums, debating everything even when there is lots of proof :)
Radagast

Postby 0beron » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:41 am

Radagast wrote:Somehow I get the impression that the Great Minds are kinda like the forums, debating everything even when there is lots of proof :)
is that in reference to Charlie being a Carny? Cus there definitely wasn't any proof of that before Jack's contract expired.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:52 am

Question is, how would Charlie know how they knew that Charlie's a Carny? Parson didn't say "One of my casters swore not to say anything as long as he lived, and he just died and was decrypted."
Lipkin

Postby drachefly » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:32 am

Hmm. I guess only thinking at each other would make non-thinkamantic methods of spying less effective. I expect Parson will be considering alternative methods of gathering information in future updates.
drachefly

Postby Tanaar » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:41 am

Lipkin wrote:Question is, how would Charlie know how they knew that Charlie's a Carny? Parson didn't say "One of my casters swore not to say anything as long as he lived, and he just died and was decrypted."

For a personal secret that huge, a person of Charlie's power, perceptive abilities, and wealth is going to keep tabs on those who know the secret.

Let's say that [arbitrary number] eight living people, other than fellow Carnymancers, knew Charlie's identity as a Carny. He knows Wanda and Marie are alive*, well, and still bound by contract. He knows that Jack went into the clusterboop of Spacerock*. He may even know that Jack was croaked and Decrypted*. All he has to do is check on the five other possible leaks to narrow it down to Jack as the source of his problem.

*The Carnymancers, or at least Jojo, are directly in league with Charlie, and were present to verify these facts.
Tanaar

Postby Kizmet » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:46 am

Must have missed something. When was Charlie confirmed as a Carnymancer?
Kizmet

Postby NYbear » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:09 am

Kizmet wrote:Must have missed something. When was Charlie confirmed as a Carnymancer?

Book 0 - Inner Peace, during Olive's trial.
http://www.erfworld.com/2013/04/inner-peace-through-superior-firepower-%E2%80%93-episode-066/
NYbear

Postby No one in particular » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:23 am

Anyone else look at the picture on the bottom and say to themselves "Parson & Maggie look like an awkward couple dating, and Roger's the highly disapproving dad"? :D
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby twhitt » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:32 am

I think the "and he'll know how we know" is well read this way: "And he'll know that Parson is the one telling his secrets to all his enemies." Sure, he'll know Jack is the source of the info. I believe an all-powerful thinkamancer can probably track that info down, given what he knows. But the other bit is really a good deal more important, and it's what Charlie would care more about. It's a personal goading on Parson's part.

"I was talking smack, dude. To get you mad. Get you off your game. You had one big, obvious button and I was just pushing it." http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F145.jpg
twhitt

Postby Oberon » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:47 am

Looks like carnies get just about as much respect from the great minds as croakamancers get in sides that consider themselves to be 'good.'

I'm wondering what incentive Charlie could give to a member of a group that has as one of its agendas to destroy him. Who actually went through the trouble to build the temple just to keep him out of their minds.

I also find it interesting that the 'dish is able to reach the MK so effortlessly.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby joosy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:11 pm

Interesting revelation about the spy - I had surmised that possiblity myself or at least some form of Erfworld listening device using hat magic or some lower level servant. Now that I know that only particular thinkamancers are allowed in the temple then I agree that the spy would have to be one of them. I thought Rob Balder would keep that in his back pocket for a grand reveal later but, in retrospect, not even lampshading the issue of a spy wouldn't fly with this genre savvy crowd.

The solution? None of the Thinkamancers can leave the temple (leaving GK without Maggie!). I predict that Gobwin Knob will provide basic upkeep to the Thinkamancers in the temple. Parson's guard will provide security in exchange for quarters OR, Parson and Maggie (and maybe Isaac) engineer a trap.

Also - Parson has gotten a taste of the cosmic g-strings. Let's see if he can 'ask the right sort of questions' about those as well!
Last edited by joosy on Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
joosy

Postby Menlo Marseilles » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:18 pm

I wonder if Parson has considered the possibility that he himself might be the spy. After all, he's been forced to reveal vital intelligence through cleverly-phrased calculation requests before...
and in despair i bowed my head
"there is no peace on erf," i said
for fate is strong and mocks the song
of peace on erf, good will to men
Menlo Marseilles

Postby jkosta » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:21 pm

Oberon wrote:Looks like carnies get just about as much respect from the great minds as croakamancers get in sides that consider themselves to be 'good.'

That... actually makes for a pattern in Tool wielders: people who are looked down upon by "the good guys". Stanley, Charlie-the-Carnymancer, and Wanda-the-Croakamancer all fit that description. (Judy... uh. Hard to say.)

Arkentools as underdog helpers?
jkosta

Postby drachefly » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:28 pm

No one in particular wrote:Anyone else look at the picture on the bottom and say to themselves "Parson & Maggie look like an awkward couple dating, and Roger's the highly disapproving dad"? :D

No, not really.

Menlo Marseilles wrote:I wonder if Parson has considered the possibility that he himself might be the spy. After all, he's been forced to reveal vital intelligence through cleverly-phrased calculation requests before...

A) we don't know that there's a spy, and
B) just because he's got the calculation deal which is a known intel leak doesn't make him a spy.
C) If Charlie tries to get more than a few choice bits of information out of this (e.g. Provide the number that is 1 million times the % chance of X rounded to nearest + 10k times the rounded % chance of Y + 100 times the rounded % chance of Z + the rounded % chance of A), he'll be overloading the questions in such a way that... well, Charlie's the carny. I wouldn't want to bet on Parson being better at weaseling out. Hmm.
drachefly

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:40 pm

Oberon wrote:I'm wondering what incentive Charlie could give to a member of a group that has as one of its agendas to destroy him. Who actually went through the trouble to build the temple just to keep him out of their minds.

Hero Buds, since Charlie seems to have his own supply. Or a variant of them.
Jabberwocky

Postby Menlo Marseilles » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:10 pm

drachefly wrote:A) we don't know that there's a spy, and
B) just because he's got the calculation deal which is a known intel leak doesn't make him a spy.

Granted. My point was, mainly, that if there's anyone in this meeting who we know is at risk of leaking what was discussed to Charlie, it's Parson himself (even if Charlie would only be able to get a few dozen bits).
Menlo Marseilles

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:14 pm

This does, feasibly, help Parson in this meeting. By implying that one of them could be a spy, especially if he brings up the Hero Buds, it would shake their solidarity, leaving them cautious and more willing to talk. Rather than skipping straight to redecorating his brain, natch.
Jabberwocky

Postby Zeku » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:22 pm

"Maggie might be an archon," did we already do that one? It seems familiar but I don't know why.

If I were Parson, the last thing I'd be doing is talking to Thinkamancers.

Smart, if uninspired choices for him:
Leave the MK, leaving troops behind if necessary, based on the results of a Decrypted+Portal experiment on a single soldier.
Destroy all Thinkamancy related artifacts.
Have Guile (Ace?) Make him a Thinkamancy-blocking helmet. Yes, made out of tin foil.
Create a non-magical order relay system for critical orders. Hat Magic for non-critical orders, Thinkamancy for what he wants Charlie to know.

Seriously, the basic rules of critical electronic security are to remove all automation, remove all physical links and transmission devices, and remove all human factors.
Zeku

Postby Menlo Marseilles » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:26 pm

Jabberwocky wrote:Hero Buds, since Charlie seems to have his own supply. Or a variant of them.

That's a difficult habit to hide, given that it involves extended breaks from reality and wearing flowers in your hair.

Of course, the more general pattern it implies is that Charlie collects things to hold over his counterparties. For instance, as reasons to work for someone you hate go, blackmail is a pretty good one.
Menlo Marseilles

Next

Return to Reactions