Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 076

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 076

Postby ManaCaster » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:55 pm

Arky wrote:
ManaCaster wrote:
Arky wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if Charlie came through here with:

1. A threat that even Jillian can't defy (crushing FAQ and slaying King Banhammer, Wanda and Jack perhaps?)

Marie still hasn't taken the contract yet. Until all of Faq's casters sign it, that would be too risky. Marie could escape into the Magic Kingdom and tell all.

Marie has duty to FAQ. Can't imagine a threat to FAQ which would compel Jillian to sign but not compel Marie to sign.

Marie: Don't worry, if Charlie tries anything, I'll escape into the Magic Kingdom and tell everyone about his secrets. Consider it blackmail.

Charlie: Oh yeah? You're just bluffing and I am going to call it. Jillian, you sign that contract, or I'll wipe out your side.

Jillian: Noes! Not my side! OK, I'll sign it.

Marie: I guess I was just bluffing. I'll sign it too then.

What, you mean like that? My point is, even if he threatens to destroy the side, Faq can still make a threat back.
ManaCaster

Postby Tonot » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:19 pm

Oberon wrote:
Tonot wrote:I think people are underestimating Charlie here.
It is just about literally impossible to underestimate a character who has displayed the breadth of powers which Charlie has displayed.

Well, sure. Maybe underestimating is not the best term for what I was trying to say.

Let us say then, people are not thinking far enough along the lines of "Charlie has such a huge potential pool of info on everyone, it would be hard to out guess him, and/or see the puppet strings he is yanking on with even harmless offers"
Tonot

Postby Kiarean » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:41 pm

Arky wrote:If the Heroine Buds have a good use, and Charlie was honestly trying to get Jillian to take the deal, then I would think he'd let the archons say there's a healing use for them as well rather than let Jillian assume the worst.

Not saying he was offering them to Jillian HONESTLY. Just he might have a justified reason for preserving their existence beyond him being addicted still.
Kiarean

Postby Lor » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:38 pm

I admit that this is highly speculative, but ...

In the far past, Olive cultivates the Garden as a way for Charlie to enhance his use of the Arkendish (seeing things differently via the self-foolamancy, expanding his mind, etc). Perhaps Olive was truly concerned about her father's increased strangeness as he communed with the 'dish. She poisons him with drugs that would momentarily break his connection. Surely once he was free, she could give him the antidote and all would be well! And if he died, well ... Charlie would be proud of her winning either way.

As he lie dying, Charlie cheats the poison: since the poison acts on his body, he uses the 'dish to stuff himself INTO his G-string, existing only as a non-corporeal being. Now not only addicted to the buds, but also reliant on them for his existence (they help his connection) and convinced that only unending war can save Erfworld, he cultivates his own Garden for his sole use.

Olive flees, and would later attempt to duplicate Charlie's power by using the buds with another Thinkamancer. Only her "Life is the most important" pride got in the way, and she killed him (or, rather, didn't help him back to shore).

----

I admit to not being a "Charlie IS the dish" person, but the above narrative is interesting, even if it turns out to be incorrect. Charlie's bud-like flitting from one pop-culture reference to another seems to support this view.

An additional speculation would be that Charlie is fated to die by the hand of an heir or by a Hippiemancer. Might be why he doesn't dare pop warlords, lest Fate "Manos" the required stats onto his next popped unit.

*shrug*
Sir Cedric: Delayed? How so?
Wamba: Well, when I heard Normans were approaching I ran to lock up my wife. But, she'd also heard they were approaching, and locked me up instead.
Lor
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Oberon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:29 pm

Megaduck wrote:
BakaGrappler wrote:Rage is a hell of an anesthetic

Yeah, but a stubborn enough son of a bitch can survive just about anything.
Right. All you need is tiger blood and to be a high priest, Vatican assassin, warlock, rock star from Mars. You might be Nails but I'm frickin' bayonet. I got magic, and I got poetry in my fingertips, and that includes naps. I'm an F-18 and I will destroy you with ordnance on the ground. You're a soft target. Bangin' 7 gram flowers and finishing them because that's how I roll. My plan is gold, your plan is shit. I've got one speed, I've got one gear: Me. Try it once and you will die, and your children will weep over your exploded body. The run I was on makes you look like a droopy eyed armless child.

It's funny how asleep rhymes with sheep. Winning!
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Tonot » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:49 pm

Oberon wrote:
Megaduck wrote:
BakaGrappler wrote:Rage is a hell of an anesthetic

Yeah, but a stubborn enough son of a bitch can survive just about anything.
Right. All you need is tiger blood and to be a high priest, Vatican assassin, warlock, rock star from Mars. You might be Nails but I'm frickin' bayonet. I got magic, and I got poetry in my fingertips, and that includes naps. I'm an F-18 and I will destroy you with ordnance on the ground. You're a soft target. Bangin' 7 gram flowers and finishing them because that's how I roll. My plan is gold, your plan is shit. I've got one speed, I've got one gear: Me. Try it once and you will die, and your children will weep over your exploded body. The run I was on makes you look like a droopy eyed armless child.

I can only read that as if someone has spiked your drink with something potent. Because it is such a radical departure from your signature style, which I always considered to be simple lucidity.
Tonot

Postby Lipkin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:19 pm

Tonot wrote:
Oberon wrote:Right. All you need is tiger blood and to be a high priest, Vatican assassin, warlock, rock star from Mars. You might be Nails but I'm frickin' bayonet. I got magic, and I got poetry in my fingertips, and that includes naps. I'm an F-18 and I will destroy you with ordnance on the ground. You're a soft target. Bangin' 7 gram flowers and finishing them because that's how I roll. My plan is gold, your plan is shit. I've got one speed, I've got one gear: Me. Try it once and you will die, and your children will weep over your exploded body. The run I was on makes you look like a droopy eyed armless child.

I can only read that as if someone has spiked your drink with something potent. Because it is such a radical departure from your signature style, which I always considered to be simple lucidity.

He's making fun of stuff Charlie Sheen has said.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby davidj » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:57 pm

Lor wrote:....existing only as a non-corporeal being. Now not only addicted to the buds, but also reliant on them for his existence....

Seems unlikely that a non-corporeal being would be addicted to, or even able to use, physical drugs. Either of the two theories could be correct, but probably not both.
davidj

Postby multilis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:07 pm

davidj wrote:
Lor wrote:....existing only as a non-corporeal being. Now not only addicted to the buds, but also reliant on them for his existence....

Seems unlikely that a non-corporeal being would be addicted to, or even able to use, physical drugs. Either of the two theories could be correct, but probably not both.

I could see it if you go a level further, Charlie needs someone else to be constantly taking drugs, so that Charlie can invade their minds with his remaining non-corporeal being. Eventually he wears out the first body and has to get another victim addicted so he can take over them instead... Cheap Horror/SF type plot.

To throw in another level of horror, Charlie like Dr. Who has some small changes each time he switches bodies, in this case depending on attributes of who he takes over. So Charlie arranged Parson to enter world, he is using predictomancer secret allies to manipulate Parson into coming after him, and goal is to have "Parson kill the old Charlie" (body is wearing out anyways) but really Charlie take over Parson's body and use it to take over world. Some future plan to get Parson under control of flowers, if nothing else burn a few in his room while Parson enters it to finish him off.
multilis

Postby Jabberwocky » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:52 pm

The Archons said that mind melding with Charlie was blissful. Maybe thats the purpose of his private Archon guards. To get wasted off their tiny, perfect boops so he could feed on their minds.
Jabberwocky

Postby Lilwik » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:51 pm

Jabberwocky wrote:The Archons said that mind melding with Charlie was blissful.
That does make me wonder if happiness is within the powers of Thinkamancy. If Thinkamancy can make people happy with the proper spell, then I would expect all Thinkamancers to be doing it every chance they get, especially Charlie who wants his units to be very loyal and seems to have unlimited Thinkamancy with no cost in juice. It could be that the only reason Maggie isn't spreading bliss around the troops is that it would cost her too much juice, especially since she seems to be constantly struggling with her limited supply of juice.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover that happiness isn't something that Thinkamancy can manipulate at all, and instead you need Flower Power to push happiness on people, since we know that's something that Flower Power can do. If Thinkamancy could make people happy then I'd expect the Great Minds to be not nearly a serious as they are. We've never seen Flower Power work across hex boundaries but maybe it can, especially when combined with Thinkamancy and a target that you command. Or maybe Charlie just gives the Archons natural happiness because he's such a great guy.
Lilwik

Postby Clementx » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:15 am

Jabberwocky wrote:The Archons said that mind melding with Charlie was blissful. Maybe thats the purpose of his private Archon guards. To get wasted off their tiny, perfect boops so he could feed on their minds.

Or perhaps it is the reverse. He is always high on hero buds, using Carnymancy to avoid croaking, and shares the high with his Archons to boost their loyalty without damaging them with the addiction.
Clementx

Previous

Return to Reactions