Twice a week schedule

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Twice a week schedule

Postby ShieldOfAthena » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:00 am

I've thought this a lot since Erfworld the website got started, but I think Rob always tries to do to much. He decided he can't maintain a 4x a week schedule. OK. So he drops it 3x. That is not the biggest difference.

I think it'd be a far better idea to stick to 2x. If he can really maintain 3x a week, then aim for that. If you can do that for 4-5 months, you'll have a buffer and a track record and know your limitations.

I know I can't be the only person who has thought this. I
ShieldOfAthena
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Re: Twice a week schedule

Postby mortissimus » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:30 am

Thunt over at goblinscomics has a pretty neat countdown clock until next update, freeing him from the constrains of X/week. Currently runs on one update each five days. He also has enough control over it that he can turn up the amount of time when he is running late, giving a simple way to inform the readers of when next update is due without extra updates or apologies.

Of course, may not work for team Rob for a number of reasons, just sharing an alternative if X/week feels to confining.
mortissimus

Postby ftl » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:06 pm

ShieldOfAthena wrote:I know I can't be the only person who has thought this. I

You're not. It's been brought up endlessly, and I'm 100% sure Rob has already heard the suggestion, as well as basically any other suggestion about the update schedule.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby arin » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:09 am

You've gotta give credit where it's due, though, so far they're pulling it off magnificently. And technically 4x a week was never really the promise, it was 3x Epilogues and an Inner Peace "when we can". The decision to let the Inner Peace updates "count" as part of the rotation is smart, because it accomplishes a lot more than just a little breathing room. It slows down the epilogue pacing a bit, which seems necessary because the main plotline seems to be catching up to the points where the current Inner Peace plotline is relevant to it, causing reveals out of order. (Although it could just be Rob's evil plan to have it go that way, I guess. The man does have a Masters in Evil and is rapidly engaged in peer review for his Ph.D.) It also allows David Hahn, the artist taking us forward, more buffer space, and gives Xin a little more of the spotlight as she says goodbye to us (or at least transitions from Chief Artist to more of a consulting role on the team, I think she's too hooked on the story to really say /goodbye/ goodbye).

Now when we get to Book 3... that might have to be 2x week, or even perhaps 1.5x week, and I'm sure we'd all be perfectly fine with that. It was never about the length of time for me, just the uncertainty factor, and that problem's pretty much solved methinks so I'm a happy camper. :) Can't wait to show it with a decent Kickstarter pledge when Book 3's funding comes up.
arin
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:50 am

When it comes to actual comic pages, if we can have 1/week, steady, I'll be OK. It's when we get to <1/week I get a little *frumple*.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby satorian » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:08 pm

I've been a reading for a long time (until recently), but this is my first post.

What is going on? I've been reading the blog posts, but I haven't seen an announcement. I know that there have been some serious personal issues that slowed the schedule, and I get that. But, er, this is a webcomic. Every change seems to have less comic. I, personally think that while the comic reads well as a comic, it doesn't read all that well in prose. There is just too much cutesie stuff that has a good tone in comic form, but just doesn't work for me in prose. So why has he gone to animation/text? Animation and reading clearly takes up a lot of time. I would rather see that time spent making this comic, well, a comic, even if it only got updated once a week.
satorian

Postby Lilwik » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:52 pm

satorian wrote:I, personally think that while the comic reads well as a comic, it doesn't read all that well in prose.
For what little it's worth, I have to say that I actually prefer text updates over comic pages. I'm glad we get some comic pages just so we can see things that really need to be seen, but we get so much more content in text updates. Text updates overflow with canon information while comic pages struggle when they try to hold even half as much great stuff. Since these epilogues are mostly talking, I think they are a perfect example of something that is better in text. If they were done as comic pages we'd probably be getting them at half the frequency and each update would have half as much content.
Lilwik

Postby mortissimus » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:59 am

satorian,
I think the purpose of the Epilogue is to cover some ground that Rob wants info-dump on us so that he can get to the next part of the story. Similar to the 2009 Summer Updates.

Hopefully the time is also used to buffer a bit of comics.
mortissimus

Postby 0beron » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:05 pm

mortissimus wrote:Hopefully the time is also used to buffer a bit of comics.
Rob has not mentioned building a buffer at all, so be careful about inadvertently starting a rumor. However, I seriously doubt a buffer is needed, David has demonstrated that he can produce faster than Xin was able to due to her family issues, so I think we are looking at a more reliable schedule going forward. Rob has missed his "deadline" only twice since David started working, once for a family emergency and once for technical issues. Moreover, on both occasions we were promptly alerted and the update followed fairly close behind. I'd call that a good record so far.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby mortissimus » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:33 am

True dat.
mortissimus

Return to Everything Else Erfworld