Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 077

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 077

Postby Lilwik » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:20 pm

joosy wrote:And another reference to scripture... I wonder if there is an Erfworld bible and what it would read like to Parson. perhaps a game training manual/guide?
I expect Parson has read the scripture. He spent a lot of time reading books from Gobwin Knob's library and surely the scripture must have been in there somewhere, probably standing out in a place of some sort of honor. It seems that the scripture doesn't contain anything interesting enough for Parson to put it in a Klog yet.
Lilwik

Postby No one in particular » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:40 pm

Lilwik wrote:
joosy wrote:And another reference to scripture... I wonder if there is an Erfworld bible and what it would read like to Parson. perhaps a game training manual/guide?
I expect Parson has read the scripture. He spent a lot of time reading books from Gobwin Knob's library and surely the scripture must have been in there somewhere, probably standing out in a place of some sort of honor. It seems that the scripture doesn't contain anything interesting enough for Parson to put it in a Klog yet.

As I seem to recall, most of the books in the library were just battle histories. Players & scores, that's all.

Ooh! Maybe Parson's Klog will be the Scripture! "As the good book says, Klog 17, verse 20... what the boop?"
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby MonteCristo » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:52 pm

Tonot wrote:Our lad needs to take some levels in Bad Boy or maybe one in Square Jaw, Stick-up-Posterior. Even Vinny Doombats got a hug.

Heh, it's implied Vinny got more than a hug...
Jillian seems to look for those who have some kind of power or strength over her. With Wanda, their relationship was obvious as we saw it was a literal sub/dom... though even with her other lovers; Merica Eagle was one who sounded like she was more than willing to challenge Jillian's authroity; Ansom could have a very confident and forward personality; Bart, is a little tougher, but she did seem attracted by his build, and he was rather forward for a new guy(though Bart was never got a chance to be more than a fling). Sad to say, Jack is just too passive for Jillian's tastes...
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Clementx » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:18 pm

MonteCristo wrote:Jillian seems to look for those who have some kind of power or strength over her.

Daddy-issues much?

It never clicked for me until you phrased it like that.
Clementx

Postby ManaCaster » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:58 pm

Move-by-move she would critique her own performance, the feats and the falters. Scripture said it was a part of leveling, and she did it faithfully.

This line makes me wonder how much XP croaking prisoners or any other units that have been made similarly unchallenging are worth.
ManaCaster

Postby Tonot » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:14 pm

MonteCristo wrote:Heh, it's implied Vinny got more than a hug...

Really, I had not noticed that, though I suppose it isn't too utterly unlikely that two people, both bereft, who respected one another, took solace with each other.
MonteCristo wrote:Jillian seems to look for those who have some kind of power or strength over her. With Wanda, their relationship was obvious as we saw it was a literal sub/dom... though even with her other lovers; Merica Eagle was one who sounded like she was more than willing to challenge Jillian's authroity; Ansom could have a very confident and forward personality; Bart, is a little tougher, but she did seem attracted by his build, and he was rather forward for a new guy(though Bart was never got a chance to be more than a fling). Sad to say, Jack is just too passive for Jillian's tastes...

Probably a very accurate summation of her tastes.
ManaCaster wrote:This line makes me wonder how much XP croaking prisoners or any other units that have been made similarly unchallenging are worth.

Maybe it is the only thing that makes a duty like killing a line of defenceless people bearable?. Considering it afterwards as an act of sacrament?. " 'tis hard, but we must do The Titans will in all things" *move along the line cutting throats*

Few religions treat "Killing for God" as anything different, they brainwash their "Soldiers for the Lord" before and after the slaughterhouse, that is what battle hymns are for, and having company chaplains, and prayers before battle and taking the sacrament before going up into the line, and all the many other hypocrisies of society.

"This is fine with god, go you now to your holy work, praise the Lord and pass the ammo". In the course of human experience, many millions of moral men who would no more kill their fellow than they would kill their own brother, have been convinced by hymns some loving priest has laboured over.
Tonot

Postby zbeeblebrox » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:18 pm

Heh, where do you think those Stupid Meal lessons came from? Dumbed down versions of scripture, I'd say
"The rumors which surround me are myriad, you know. Myth and legend, wild speculation, paranoid suspicions..."
- Charlie, in reference to the forum members
zbeeblebrox

Postby the_tick_rules » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:28 pm

Dr. Phil could make a career analyzing Jillian.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby MonteCristo » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:37 pm

Clementx wrote:
MonteCristo wrote:Jillian seems to look for those who have some kind of power or strength over her.

Daddy-issues much?

It never clicked for me until you phrased it like that.

Hmm... maybe. She does seem to have some respect and awe for him despite not liking him much, and in this update it does seem she does take into consideration his opinion of herself... But i'm not so sure since she has never really tried to change herself in order to win his approval(though i guess most children, despite wanting parental approval, would want to be loved for who they are, and not have to conform)... and her tastes are not exclusive to men, as she also likes powerful women. Not to mention she has been recently leaving her side... But then again, despite not seeming to miss her father a whole lot, she is pretty determined to see Stanley croak. Eh, could go either way at this point... latent daddy issue, or she's just likes having someone else take the lead in a relationship

Though trying to sorta Psychoanalyze Jillian does make take another look at her barbarian-hood. From the way she spoke of it, she liked the life style since it offered her freedom and excitement and she was resistant to take on the role of ruler... However, if you think about it another way, as a barbarian Jillian must always work under someone else, But as a ruler she's always on top. heh.

Tonot wrote:
MonteCristo wrote:Heh, it's implied Vinny got more than a hug...

Really, I had not noticed that, though I suppose it isn't too utterly unlikely that two people, both bereft, who respected one another, took solace with each other.

one of the summer updates
"Thirteen turns ago, Vinny had woken up beside her(Jillian) and said, "Hey. I think we should go meet the neighbors.""

Ansom did warn her that Vinny could be quite the charmer.
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Tarvok » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:38 pm

I know it's already been said, but...

Oh Jack! I am so sad for you! ;_;
Tarvok

Postby junovalkyrie » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:39 pm

The same update also goes beyond merely implying it:

Vinny was upset that she would not take him [to the battle at Spacerock], and at all of the things she wouldn't tell him. It started to build up. It went to shouting, it went to threats, and it went to silence. After much longer than usual, almost too long, it went to apologies and make-up nookie.
junovalkyrie

Postby StClair » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:57 pm

Ohhh.
It hurts, yes.

Especially since I'm almost certain that at the end, there, he counts himself among the "undesired shadows."
StClair

Postby Beeskee » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:13 am

The Scripture reference is more interesting to me currently than the confirmation that turns can end "on their own" - Turns ending on their own makes sense, as otherwise Erfworld would still be frozen in time from the first time a ruler and chief warlord had both been incapacitated but not croaked. Confirmation is very much appreciated, though. :)

I would like to know how all these religious books get created. Do they pop with the cities? Are they written by mortals or Titans? How are they passed around? Who decided on this stuff if they don't pop pre-authored by the Titans? Do written books appear in other city libraries? Do other books pop the same way?
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby MadZuri » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:31 am

Beeskee wrote:Do they pop with the cities? Are they written by mortals or Titans? How are they passed around? Who decided on this stuff if they don't pop pre-authored by the Titans? Do written books appear in other city libraries? Do other books pop the same way?

Yes. Titans. They aren't, they pop in every city identical, no need to pass around. People speculate on things such as score, but it isnt written anywhere. Already answered. All books pop this way, except for the ones Parson has written.
MadZuri

Postby LTDave » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:41 am

13,000 turns was the thing that stood out for me from this update.

That's a long time for a side to hide.
LTDave

Postby Beeskee » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:57 am

MadZuri wrote:
Beeskee wrote:Do they pop with the cities? Are they written by mortals or Titans? How are they passed around? Who decided on this stuff if they don't pop pre-authored by the Titans? Do written books appear in other city libraries? Do other books pop the same way?

Yes. Titans. They aren't, they pop in every city identical, no need to pass around. People speculate on things such as score, but it isnt written anywhere. Already answered. All books pop this way, except for the ones Parson has written.

I remember the post about the libraries popping scorebooks, but I don't remember a mention of religious books in there. I may have missed it.

Also, if the religious books are written by the gods, how can branches such as Scorism exist?
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby ThisIsNotDan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:01 am

The fact that a turn can end naturally filled in a few gaps for me, as well. Thing is, their turn was forced to end at dusk. What if there were another side in the battlespace that took their natural turn after Faq? If Faq allows their turn to end naturally at dusk, when does the next side get a turn? Since nothing can happen at night, even if it's not dusk yet in the other side's hexes, it would become night when they entered Faq's hexes, and thus they wouldn't be able to fight (or move out of those hexes?). Thoughts?
ThisIsNotDan

Postby MadZuri » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:10 am

There was presumably still Archons in the battle space, and turn order seems to follow side age, so the turn order this day (still the same day as the one she fought the golems) went Hafaton, Charlescomm, FAQ.

If I wasn't posting from my phone, I'd link you to the summer update about a year back where they discuss the texts. Score is NOT recorded anywhere. It is speculated to exist. That is why scorists are are rare. It isn't The Word Of The Titans. In world, of course.
MadZuri

Postby ManaCaster » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:29 am

Beeskee wrote:Also, if the religious books are written by the gods, how can branches such as Scorism exist?

It's not like the Scriptures explain everything. And even if they did, there can be multiple interpretations for an answer.

ThisIsNotDan wrote:The fact that a turn can end naturally filled in a few gaps for me, as well. Thing is, their turn was forced to end at dusk. What if there were another side in the battlespace that took their natural turn after Faq? If Faq allows their turn to end naturally at dusk, when does the next side get a turn? Since nothing can happen at night, even if it's not dusk yet in the other side's hexes, it would become night when they entered Faq's hexes, and thus they wouldn't be able to fight (or move out of those hexes?). Thoughts?

I would imagine that Erfworld automatically divides the available time and assigns a slot to each side. So if a side came after Faq, Faq's turn would be forced to end a bit earlier than that. Just imagine the annoyance it would cause if units from 200 different unallied sides entered the same hex and thus got only 3.6 minutes of turn each!
ManaCaster

Postby Lilwik » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:13 am

ManaCaster wrote:Just imagine the annoyance it would cause if units from 200 different unallied sides entered the same hex and thus got only 3.6 minutes of turn each!
Turns don't mean much when you're in the same hex with your enemies since combat is real-time, and time speeds up when you are moving between hexes. We don't know exactly how much time speeds up, so I guess that the speed-up varies depending on the length of the turn so that each unit always has enough time to use all of its move. So if the turn were only 3.6 minutes long, units would probably zoom across the hexes faster than a bullet because they operate on super-fast time where seconds seem like hours.
Lilwik

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions