Epilogue 13 – Parson and the Temple

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Epilogue 13 – Parson and the Temple

Postby 0beron » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:38 pm

Lipkin wrote:I quit.
*pats on back* It's ok, pretty much every vocal forumite with a shred of common sense has tried to reason with him and come to the same conclusion.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby alowe » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:25 am

What's the link between the artist Peter Doig and the Temple?

alowe

Postby Lilwik » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:58 pm

alowe wrote:What's the link between the artist Peter Doig and the Temple?
That's the Royal Scottish Academy during the Peter Doig Exhibition from August 3rd to November 3rd 2013. The colors are in the wrong order, but even so the resemblance is too striking to ignore. There's slim possibility that it's just a coincidence, but for once it's almost certainly not Erfworld imitating Stupidworld because we saw the Thinkamancy Temple and its colorful columns in a bonus page of the printed version of Book 1 which came out long before the Peter Doig Exhibition, so unfortunately I think there's no deeper connection than someone at the Royal Scottish Academy being a fan of Erfworld.
Lilwik

Postby drachefly » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:43 pm

I'm sure that's it, yes.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:59 pm

Thinking about it a bit more, I'm no longer so sure about the connection between the Royal Scottish Academy columns and the Thinkamancy Temple. We know that the Peter Doig Exhibition didn't inspire the Thinkamancy temple, but I'm not sure that it works the other way either. I have only the bonus pages of Book 1, so I can't be sure about what might be in the bonus pages of Book 2, but the illustration of the Thinkamancy Temple in Book 1 doesn't seem detailed enough to have inspired the Peter Doig Exhibition. The Peter Doig Exhibition is very close to what we are seeing in the Epilogues, but the Epilogues didn't start until after the Exhibition started, and the Royal Scottish Academy couldn't have known that it would look right just from the tiny rough picture in Book 1.

So either Book 2 includes a better picture of the temple in bonus pages, or else the Thinkamancy Temple and the Peter Doig Exhibition are both imitating some third thing that predates them both.
Lilwik

Postby Shai_hulud » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:15 pm

Or it's just random chance...
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby alowe » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:10 am

It's these little mysteries that make life interesting. If it was just coloured pillars I'd think it was possibly a cooincidence. But on the same design of building - that's a bit harder to swallow. I'm tempted to believe it's more likely that both the museum front display and the temple in Erfworld are somehow inspired by something that predates them both. Something that's to do with the elements or fundamentals of thought maybe. So much of thought is like white noise, but here the colours have been seperated and can be clearly seen for their differences.

A lot of Roman architecture evolved from Greek architecture and Greece certainly had their philosophers and studiers of thought. I wonder if the atypical Roman design for museums actually came from Greece.
alowe

Previous

Return to Reactions