Epilogue 17 - Parson's Staff Meeting

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Epilogue 17 - Parson's Staff Meeting

Postby Kizmet » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:46 am

I hope it looks like the mars rover. or that robot thing they used to send in first from stargate.
Kizmet

Postby Kaigen » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:47 am

Man in the Mists wrote:I knew Ace + Jack was going to be used, but I figured that they were going to make stealth suits instead of stealth golems.
Depending on how the stealth golem experiment works, stealth suits may be in the future. It makes sense to test the concept with a mindless, expendable unit, though. Aside from possibly being harder to detect by thinkamancy, if the unit is easily detected and captured then it won't be giving up much in the way of intelligence and isn't likely to be turned.
Kaigen

Postby Lipkin » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:03 am

Jillian didn't know that Wanda's mannequin was a unit until it spoke. The clear answer is not to have a unit that is permanently veiled, but one that can blend into it's surroundings unnoticed, with the option to veil should it be discovered.

Transformers! Golems in disguise!

I also want Ace and Jack to link and take a look at Parson's bracer. Maybe rig up a heads-up display that is visible only by Parson.

http://qsf5.com/wp-content/uploads/2008 ... e-vats.jpg

I also love that the "start thinking about how you can combine your abilities" may as well be directed at us.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Nargrakhan » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:30 am

Parson needs to take off the kid's gloves and start production of Erfworld's first Gundams and Space Marines. :P
Nargrakhan
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Not Me » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:57 am

"Tomorrow I want to try and create a new unit. This might be Jack and Ace, or it might be Jack and Sizemore, but what I want is a mindless, scout-veiled unit. A stealth golem."

Use Isaac as the Thinkamancer for that link and you can add some useful Lookamancy to your scout ;)

Also, it would be interesting to have one of the Great Minds (maybe Tisha would be the best option) link up with Parson to help see which abilities as a Caster Parson might have.
Last edited by Not Me on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not Me

Postby Sir_Dr_D » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:06 am

What proof do we have that Archons can automatically see through all Foolmancy? At most we know that a particular group of Archons happened to see through a veiled Bogroll. It was a veil that was cast using a scroll by a non-foolmancer, and meant to fool Ansom and not Archons. It felt like a weak spell, and we don't know if the archons automatically saw through it, or they just got lucky. They might have made their spot check.

How does this equate to Archons being immune to foolmancy? A strong spell cast by Jack could be another matter all together.
Sir_Dr_D
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Gathrun » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:44 am

Wouldn't an unled golem automatically attack enemies in a hex, limiting what you could actually do with them? Especially for sneak attacks or recon?
Gathrun

Postby ftl » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:46 am

Gathrun wrote:Wouldn't an unled golem automatically attack enemies in a hex, limiting what you could actually do with them? Especially for sneak attacks or recon?

Not if it's a scout, scouts don't autoattack I think.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:49 am

More thoughts on combinations.

Taxidermy (Croak/Dirt): Uncroaked that don't decay. Sand golems wrapped in flesh. Whatever form they take, having units that both lack upkeep, and don't sleep or get tired, would be a very handy thing.

The Borg/Cybermen (Croak/Doll): Why stop at decryption when you can make improvements?

Body Retrieval (Doll/Croak): An item attached to a living unit that would move a felled unit in the field so that it doesn't depop at dawn.

Fake death potion (Croak/Fool): Not my idea, but a good one.

Seance (Croak/Fool): Summon the mind of a dead unit, and give it image. Charlie has a number of dead children. I wonder what they would have to say?

Near Death Experience (Croak/Fool): Hit someone with an attack, let them realistically experience what they believe dying would be like, and then use Foolamancy to make them hallucinate an afterlife. Then arrange for them to be "saved" and brought back to the land of the living. They now have a mission, given to them directly from the Titans. Or they've discovered their core beliefs really don't mean so much with their new prospective. Give them an experience so profound, it changes their entire outlook.

Holodeck (Doll/Fool): If Jack alone can make visual representations of Parson's scenarios, then Jack and Ace can whip up a way to make it larger, and put live unit's into the mix. Discipline was a big issue during the last battle, so if the rank and file can actually see how the plan is supposed to work, it should lead to better results. It's time to stop letting units just sit around until they have a war to fight. It might be hard to level via practice only, but that's not the only reason to do it.

Landmines (Dirt/Doll): Not much more to say.

Creeper (Dirt/Croak): Walking Dirtamancy traps.

Diamond Sword (Dirt/Doll): Just a strong weapon.

Invisibility Ring (Doll/Fool): Someone brought up a cloak, but a ring is easier to fight in, and is more one size fits all. Which is important, considering Parson.

Face changer (Doll/Fool): Having a duplicate of Parson worked out well once, no reason it wouldn't work again. Imagine an item that contained a permanent veil for whoever wears it. Get units impersonating Stanley and Wanda, and get Twolls impersonating Parson. Now Wanda isn't so vulnerable in the field, and maybe you can get Stanley out in the field for a surprise strike, because a lookamancer would think he's still back home.

Concealed or Invisible Weapons (Doll/Fool): Weapons that appear to be mundane items, or weapons that appear to be merely pantomime until they cut someone in half.

(Dirt/Fool) Less a centralized idea, more of just a very powerful pairing. Imagine a ton of dirtmancy traps hidden by foolamancy, with fake traps going off to add to the confusion and direct units into the real ones. Jack and Sizemore linked would be able to dominate a battlefield almost by themselves, provided that fliers are kept under control.

I'm sure there are more clever ideas, and I look forward to being surprised. If they get the stealth Golem to work, I'm wondering if that might be the best way to eliminate King Don. Straight up assassination.
Lipkin

Postby Chevalier » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:24 pm

Assuming Parson knows his LOTR (and it looks like he does) the stealth golem (gollum? If it weren't for this obvious pun, I'd think Parson would name it Frodo) will be small, exceptionally quiet, exceptionally perceptive, and excellent at hiding, climbing, blending into surroundings, etc. Others have said this, more or less. But this next part, which I haven't seen mentioned, is as important: sneaking into Mordor worked, in the end, because Sauron's attention (and most of his armies) were drawn away from his lands by the assault on the Black Gate. Now I could be wrong, and the stealth golem will just be quick reconaissance, expendable, doing the Mars Rover thing until it gets stepped on. But I suspect Parson will launch a diversion to get Charlie's attention, sufficiently large that His Tunaness will be required to look outside his borders, and to send all but a few archons out as well. Thus the golem would have a much greater chance of completing its mission, whatever that turns out to be exactly. Given the resemblance of Charlie's fortress to Barad-dur (at least the movie version), I'd expect this gambit to follow Tolkien, at least up until all hell breaks loose and Parson has to improvise (also, we've already done the volcano thing in this strip). It will also be interesting to find out if Charlie knows his LOTR, too.

Re Jack and reluctance to link up: Among the reasons the earlier link screwed him up is that they linked up so often, and that Stanley treated them so poorly, and that Maggie rigged the backlash on breakup. If they have Isaac or others around to unravel links, and they're linked up only briefly, there's much less risk of damage - Wanda, Maggie, and Sizemore all seemed totally fine after their linkup.
Chevalier

Postby Finwe » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:54 pm

Dirtamancy + croakamancy: pestilence - destroy all crops in a hex and prevent more from being grown there. Particularly useful if the "Charlie needs heroine buds" theory holds water...

Dirtamancy + foolamancy: make a hex appear to be of a different terrain type. Upgrade a city to be permanently veiled.

Dirtamancy + dollamancy: animate a city and have it start attacking the inhabitants/make it able to defend itself against attackers. Create building-sized golems (giant mechas!). Rapidly erect gstring-secure structures.

Dollamancy + croakamancy: magic item that stores "charges" of decryption. Makes Wanda much less vulnerable in the field. Combine this with the 'pew' death ray and you have an instant "convert enemy to ally" button.

Dollamancy + foolamancy: magic item veils all units in a hex, and projects an image of those units in a nearby hex.

Foolamancy + croakamancy: create uncroaked/decrypted that look like a living unit. Use them as decoys or spies.

Shockamancy + thinkamancy: Rule 34. Attack with shockamancy via thinkagram :lol:

I feel like one way to amplify the power of linkups is to use them for fabrication. Ordinarily there's only so much you can do in a turn with linkups. But spend a dozen turns using linkups to craft, and suddenly you've flooded your side with game-breaking magical items. Also, if the GMTTA can be convinced it's worth their while, Parson could use all their leftover juice that the end of a turn for additional crafting.
Finwe
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Zeku » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Did we ever get the official confirmation that Jack can still cast?

I guess Parson can casually mention it in the next update, since Jack is going to be stealthing something.
Zeku

Postby kagato23 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:16 pm

Lipkin wrote:I'm sure there are more clever ideas, and I look forward to being surprised. If they get the stealth Golem to work, I'm wondering if that might be the best way to eliminate King Don. Straight up assassination.

Don's threats are in-house.
Portal X Parson OTP!
kagato23
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby niklinna » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:26 pm

warriortribble wrote:
niklinna wrote:It's perfectly grammatical English. Using "that" adds a bit more emphasis than using "the".

Fair enough. Seeing "that noun that" still feels a touch weird to me though.

Ah, that's not grammar, that's euphony. All of my examples used relative clauses with subjects different from the noun being modified, so I was able to omit the relative pronoun. They all sound off to me with the relative pronoun (although they're still perfectly grammatical):

• That law that they passed last month just went into effect.
  • That movie that we saw last night was terrible.
  • That dinner that you made me last night was delicious!

I suspect that, beyond the mere repetition of a word that in most diaects of English is pronounced with a glottal stop, which interrupts the flow of an utterance, the much higher frequency of phrases that omit the relative pronoun makes those few that keep it sound odd by comparison.

As a final note, I've heard there are dialects of English where you can omit the relative pronoun even in this case: "That spell ended our turn and wrecked the battle plan was from Charlescomm, we think." To my ear, though, that sentence sounds like "dialect" (in the pejorative sense of the term).

Okay, enough language geekery for now!
niklinna
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby niklinna » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:30 pm

Arky wrote:
ManaCaster wrote:Units with the Foolamancy special, like Archons, can see right through veils, and Parson should know that. So unless he merely simulates Foolamancy with Dollamancy, like what Olive Branch did with Flower Power, there's no way the stealth golem will work against Charlie directly. Does "marching into Mordor" mean he's going to send it through Charlescomm's portal, or does he have something more complicated in mind?

Dollars to donuts he's planning on sending it through the portal and seeing how long it takes to get detected, although honestly- Charlie would be insane not to have his portal room warded up with the best defensive spells he can arrange as well as Foolamancy Archons on duty at all times. Any unit, stealth or not, should get zapped in seconds. Parson probably wants to confirm that though, and see exactly what Charlie's defenses DO look like.

I would be amazed to hear that Charlie even has a portal. He really doesn't seem the type, and if he does have one, after Parson's recent stunt, he's darn likely to shut it down fast.
niklinna
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby spriteless » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:37 pm

Man, Sizemore's Loyalty stat is so low. I know it is hidden, but look at all the signs. He is going to turn at the least opportune and most dramatic time. I am going to go to the betting thread after this...

Croak + Doll = uncroak busted golems. Sew up some golems from fur/skins of bigger units, perhaps those too ruined to uncroak. Wanda can sense whole bodies, so maybe the 'sick sticks' from Minority Report.
Fool + doll = shapeshifting rainment that is good for morale? Pew pew blinding lazer arm-gun.
croak + fool = Wanda can sense whole bodies, so they could fool all a units internal senses; like move penalties because you think your leg is broken, or worse.

Other:
Look+ doll = Zee goggles scan magic items and see how/if they can be recreated.
T'was a splendidly speedy defection.
spriteless

Postby Lipkin » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:51 pm

kagato23 wrote:
Lipkin wrote:I'm sure there are more clever ideas, and I look forward to being surprised. If they get the stealth Golem to work, I'm wondering if that might be the best way to eliminate King Don. Straight up assassination.

Don's threats are in-house.

Sure. But Caesar can make sure King Don is alone when the stealth golem comes. If Caesar rises to the throne through seemingly legitimate means, it's better for him than if he overthrows Don through force. He's already got the loyalty and respect of the troops, but the casters and warlords will be more happy to follow him if an outside party is responsible for Don's fall. Besides, two heirs have already staged failed coups.
Lipkin

Postby bladestorm » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:15 pm

Zeku wrote:Did we ever get the official confirmation that Jack can still cast?

I guess Parson can casually mention it in the next update, since Jack is going to be stealthing something.

He may not need to cast if he is linked up. At least one of the trilink members would still be alive and can do the casting. Jack would just be using his knowledge of his craft to add to the psychic gestalt that guides whoever is actually doing the casting.
bladestorm

Postby nargbop » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:29 pm

niklinna wrote:I would be amazed to hear that Charlie even has a portal. He really doesn't seem the type, and if he does have one, after Parson's recent stunt, he's darn likely to shut it down fast.

Charlie has a Capital, which has a portal, which presumably has been under heavy guard since Parson revealed his ability to use portals.

Now, I've been assuming that Parson would send the one stealth golem through Charlie's portal to do some spying / proof of concept penetrations. There is another option : The stealth golem could walk to Charlie's fortress the long way.

That way, Charlie won't know when it's coming. In the MK, Charlie will have multiple Lookamancers feeding him information ("they're performing a tri-link" "they're making a new type of unit" "that unit is going through your portal") , but in Spacerock, Charlie has no eyes present.

Charlie could hire casters to create a battle map similar to or better than Gobwin Knob's old one.
nargbop

Postby Lipkin » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:42 pm

Now I'm picturing a scenario where they make the new unit, and then use foolamancy to make it seem like they are delivering it to Charlie's portal, when it is really veiled completely and is walking the long way. Charlie assumes it's gone through portal veiled, and so he tears his capital apart for turns on end trying to find the golem that hasn't arrived yet. Just when he figures it's a ruse, the golem arrives and infiltrates. Even if they find the golem shortly after it arrives, he'll always be paranoid that it's been there the entire time. WHAT DOES PARSON KNOW????
Lipkin

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions