Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 078

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 078

Postby balder » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:15 pm

New One is up.
balder

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 078

Postby Denar » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Christian Sidehug, eh? Has he been referenced before?

Edit: yes he has. I was reading it as though he was a FAQ unit. Obviously they are talking about Rusty's surprisingly good Shockmancy on the tower during that fight.
Denar

Postby Whispri » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:39 pm

I'd say Wanda knowing so much about Shockamancy is probably the result of her being the Naughtymancer equivalent of Headmaster or Grand Abbie.

The Court of Faq sickens me. Forcing a dying woman to... nevermind that the alternative to sending Uncroaked soldiers into battle... is sending living soldiers into battle. They're monsters.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby the_tick_rules » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:59 pm

Jillian the junkie, quite something
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby 0beron » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:07 pm

Interesting to see that Lookamancers have some skill of tactical documents and the like, so they don't simply look, they also read and interpret.

The Court is so ridiculous...I mean seriously. All branches of magic are equal, though some may be distasteful, the Titans created them all, shouldn't that be enough of a justification that Croakamancy has it's place in the world. Just because a Croakamancer needs bodies to work doesn't mean they must always kill. Especially given how much Wanda studies other schools, they should see her individually as a huge asset and embrace her curiosity about magic. With her Croakamancy senses, Betsy could be learning TONS from Wanda, together they might even be able to devise ways of healing units that were previously thought to be beyond recovery.
This must be why Wanda develops a distaste for out-of-school casting. She got so beaten down and pummeled for her native discipline and told that discipline was her only distinguishing quality, so she did the textbook physiology thing and focused on that as an identity of strength, overcompensating as it were.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby warriortribble » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:03 pm

Must admit, it's strange to see Wanda slowly dying when there's a Healomancer in their hex. It does make you wonder about the limitations of what sounds like an all-purpose healing class. Some possibilities are:

1. Besty is simply not skilled or high enough to help. Definitely possible since she rarely sees combat and Faq is hardly an ideal place to learn medicine.

2. She doesn't want to help Wanda. Considering the contempt the court is showing the Croakamancer, it's possible she doesn't want to go out of her way to research and cure an ailment that's most certainly new to her. She'll heal any combat injuries Wanda gets, but otherwise, she's content in letting Wanda wither away.

3. Kind of related to 1, Healomancy is simply insufficient in repairing the damage done to Wanda. I suppose Wanda is so close to death that she'll need other forms of magic (like life extending Carnymancy) in order for any long term solutions to be attempted on her.

0beron wrote:This must be why Wanda develops a distaste for out-of-school casting. She got so beaten down and pummeled for her native discipline and told that discipline was her only distinguishing quality, so she did the textbook physiology thing and focused on that as an identity of strength, overcompensating as it were.

Let's not forget when she was in Haffaton, Wanda was forced by either circumstances, or a personal sense of responsibilities to be an all purpose caster for the withering side. The whole thing strikes me as a rather stressful situation that'll turn anyone off from study.
warriortribble
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:08 pm

warriortribble wrote:Let's not forget when she was in Haffaton, Wanda was forced by either circumstances, or a personal sense of responsibilities to be an all purpose caster for the withering side. The whole thing strikes me as a rather stressful situation that'll turn anyone off from study.
While I see the point, I'm not sure that was her feeling about it. It seems to me that she spoke in a fond tone about what she learned while linking with their Dirtamancer, and her garden was a personal work that resulted from that interest. So it seems to me that while with Haffaton, she was still satisfied with her studies.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby WarFAN » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:14 pm

Good to see Charlie is not a junkie: He has a cure for the flower adicction.
WarFAN

Postby warriortribble » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:31 pm

0beron wrote:While I see the point, I'm not sure that was her feeling about it. It seems to me that she spoke in a fond tone about what she learned while linking with their Dirtamancer, and her garden was a personal work that resulted from that interest. So it seems to me that while with Haffaton, she was still satisfied with her studies.

I should have mentioned which update I got the idea from. :)

In episode 54 Wanda she mentions a rather stressful situation of trying to be what's necessary for her side and often failing.
warriortribble

Postby Lamech » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:04 pm

So there is a way to deal long term damage? Something that doesn't heal right up at the start of a new turn. I suppose it was hinted at pretty blatantly before. And whatever it is, a healomancer can't just banish it. I wonder if this could be weaponized more completely somehow.
Lamech

Postby 0beron » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:08 pm

warriortribble wrote:In episode 54 Wanda she mentions a rather stressful situation of trying to be what's necessary for her side and often failing.
Ah ok, I had forgotten that, good catch. So it looks like it's been a gradual process and hear treatment by FAQ's court may just be the final nail in the coffin *chuckle*
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby CelebrenIthil » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:13 pm

I don't know if there are still debates on how important the NDA-covered information might be so as to warrant the protective measure, but that Charlie has had heroine bud addiction AND the possibility that he might be dependant on some form of medication to counteract the addiction and prevent himself from wasting away is... a pretty exploitable weakness if it it falls into the wrong (right) hands.
Freakishly huge stupidworlder hands.
My Dwagons!
Red: Kelvin Yellow: Newton Green: Langmuir Blue: Ampere Purple: Decibel Pink: Pascal
build6 wrote:It's true, we're all gay for Tramennis, even if we're straight :-)
CelebrenIthil
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby ManaCaster » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:03 pm

If Croakamancy involved enslaving departed souls, then I could understand the hate aimed at its practitioners, but merely animating a dead body, though disrespectful, is surely no worse than going croaking them in first place. Croaking is an all too common occurrence in this world after all. Maybe they don't like it because, whereas disciplines like Foolamancy and Dirtamancy can be used for all sorts of things, everything we've seen Croakamancy for is exclusively war based? Though if that were the case, they should be aiming the same kind of vitriol at their Shockamancer.

So, I think we have confirmed one of Charlie's biggest secrets. Heroine bud dependency, I wonder how Parson could take advantage of that. He'll have to acquire more Archons to learn about it in the first place though.
ManaCaster

Postby Lipkin » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:18 pm

CelebrenIthil wrote:I don't know if there are still debates on how important the NDA-covered information might be so as to warrant the protective measure, but that Charlie has had heroine bud addiction AND the possibility that he might be dependant on some form of medication to counteract the addiction and prevent himself from wasting away is... a pretty exploitable weakness if it it falls into the wrong (right) hands.
Freakishly huge stupidworlder hands.

I kind of doubt that this is the case. If the cure required constant upkeep, then it's likely that Wanda would need it too. While it's possible she has been hiding that she takes medication to fend off her dependency, if she were, Charlie would have just as much cause to target her supplies as she would his, and he isn't bound by NDA, nor would he need to tell anyone in order to target it.

Also, Gobwin Knob blew up, so Wanda's supply would likely have been toasted.

There's something to the bud thing, but I don't know that it is quite that.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:21 pm

ManaCaster wrote: Though if that were the case, they should be aiming the same kind of vitriol at their Shockamancer.

I get the feeling that engaging a Shockamancer in extended verbal debate, even just to deliver a beat down, will probably leave most units with the feeling that they need to scrub the insides of their skin to be clean again. I expect they probably try to politely ignore him, because talking to him causes SAN damage.

And about Croakamancy being disrespectful! Given the existence of Duty, shouldn't most units be glad that their remains can continue to serve their Side even after they've been croaked? Especially since the Uncroaked can be sacrificed in place of still living units? Really, in a world that focuses so much on war, Croakamancy seems as merciful and life saving as healomancy.
Jabberwocky

Postby zbeeblebrox » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:31 pm

Sounds like Wanda's about to start taking some Method One acting lessons ;)
"The rumors which surround me are myriad, you know. Myth and legend, wild speculation, paranoid suspicions..."
- Charlie, in reference to the forum members
zbeeblebrox

Postby Lamech » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:57 pm

Lipkin wrote:I kind of doubt that this is the case. If the cure required constant upkeep, then it's likely that Wanda would need it too. While it's possible she has been hiding that she takes medication to fend off her dependency, if she were, Charlie would have just as much cause to target her supplies as she would his, and he isn't bound by NDA, nor would he need to tell anyone in order to target it.

Also, Gobwin Knob blew up, so Wanda's supply would likely have been toasted.

There's something to the bud thing, but I don't know that it is quite that.

What if it only fixes the physical damage? The cure doesn't fix the mental part of the addiction. So Charlie doesn't have the willpower to break the addiction. Every few years he injects himself with the cure. Or every turn. Or he takes it with his bud. Now that is sort of less useful to Parson since it would take years for Charlie to die, and its probably as well protected as his garden. Maybe it could be corrupted, stolen, but then... so could the buds.
Lamech

Postby Tonot » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:34 pm

Gaseous Invertebrate save us all from enthusiasts!.

I hate the court of fax. What a pack of navel gazing tossers. If the world is inexorably bent to the rule of war and Erfworld clearly is, faxs philosophy simply amounts to burying your head in the sand and wishing disease didn't exist. While your children are coughing out their lungs from the flu, or something.

Things are as they are, and the only possible thing to do is deal with it. You can't talk your way out of an avalanche, or believe your way out of a forest fire, you have to pitch in and get your hands dirty.
Tonot

Postby arin » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

I don't know why it took me this long to get here, but suddenly the flower in the decrypted crest is a lot more ominous to me than the skull.
arin
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby No one in particular » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Man, I do not get why everyone is hating on the Court so much.

Some things to consider:
  • Has anyone actually informed them that Wanda is dying? They might think she's just got some really bad signamancy, or that how she looks now is just how croakamancers are SUPPOSED to look.
  • Until a few (very hectic!) turns ago, Wanda was the muscle for Haffaton, and responsible for the uncroaked horde that DESTROYED FAQ. Some hard feelings are not unexpected!
  • It has long been established that the Court is a bunch of isolationist, pacifist, philosophizing intellectuals. They have always been shown as looking down on classes that are combat oriented. (Rusty was the low man on the Totem pole not just because he was a creep)
  • Being the ivory-tower intellectuals that they are, it's entirely plausible that the Court was actually trying to welcome Wanda into the fold. All they know is debate and discussion; it is possible they have never met a croakamancer before. What came across to Wanda & Jillian as an inquisition might've been an excessively formal cocktail party laden with impenetrable in-jokes.
    • Seriously, these guys are all shut-ins with no social skills. They are all locked in the same rooms with each other, never go out, never meet the neighbors, never meet new people, and do nothing but talk to each other all the time.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Next

Return to Reactions