Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 078

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 078

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:50 am

0beron wrote:
Shai_hulud wrote:Actually I don't think she knew any of this until after her visit to the magic kingdom.
IIRC, she didn't visit the MK until after she had leveled? The point I'm referring to is when she was a level 1 out in the field.
No, she never mentions having to be a master until here:
http://www.erfworld.com/2012/02/inner-p ... isode-026/
She does try to make a scout dance though, but I'm not really sure that's the same thing.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby bladestorm » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:39 pm

0beron wrote:
drachefly wrote:I wonder when [Wanda's] curiosity [about out-of-school casting] reversed to the disinterest displayed in book 1. I suppose FAQ might be enough to turn her around, if the many experiments with linkups weren't enough.
I was musing on this earlier, and with some input from Warriortribble, came to the conclusion that it was likely a slow process. It began when she was forced to try make up for all the lost casters in the final days of Haffaton, and the way she's being treated by FAQ's Court is probably the last straw. When everyone focuses on one aspect of you as if that is all that matters about you (as the Court is doing to her Croakamancy), the typical response is to either 1) disown that part entirely and pretend you aren't that thing or 2) latch on to that singular identity and try to reclaim it as a source of strength, dismissing other parts of yourself.

So being forced to multi-cast and find her abilities falling short, topped off with being told all that matters is being a Croakamancer...and you have a recipe for her quitting her other studies.

There is also a general disdain for Croakamancy. She was popped with an ability that was repulsive to so many other, from her father and brother, to Delphie, to the casters at Faq. we don't know how her uncroaked were received by Haffaton, so for all we know, her uncroaked could have been relegated to the really crappy assignments that they didn't want to expend real units on. She was liked much better when she wasn't acting like a croakamancer. She was more accepted when she was being anything other than what she was popped to be, whether that would be a warlady, field commander, lookamancer, dirtamancer, general purpose caster, findamancer, or whatever else. Then comes Stanley, and she suddenly finds that she doesn't need to pretend to be anything other than a croakamancer. She had the capacity to cast other spells, but her introduction in Book 1 was as Gobwin Knob's chief croakamancer. not chief caster, not chief counsel of the overlord. There is no bigger prude than a reformed harlot.
bladestorm

Postby Chit Rule Railroad » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:35 pm

Lilwik wrote:On the other hand, perhaps Jillian still could have responded if Olive tried to cast. Jillian is the sort of warlord who can take whole cities single-handed. Perhaps if Olive had said "Give me love" (the way Janis said it in Book 2, Page 64) then Jillian would have used the sound to guide her in throwing her sword straight through Olive's chest before the spell could be finished.

My guess is that the "can't initiate engagement" effect of Janis's spell allows the target to counterattack when engaged, and that the spell itself counts as an engagement, so Jojo would have been able to attack Janis if he had wanted to.
Chit Rule Railroad
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby ManaCaster » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:10 pm

I think the main reason Olive didn't pacify Jillian was because it would have been more direct than Olive would have been comfortable with. As Wanda said, it isn't her style to engage an enemy without some hidden advantage.
ManaCaster

Postby drachefly » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:28 pm

Chit Rule Railroad wrote:
Lilwik wrote:On the other hand, perhaps Jillian still could have responded if Olive tried to cast. Jillian is the sort of warlord who can take whole cities single-handed. Perhaps if Olive had said "Give me love" (the way Janis said it in Book 2, Page 64) then Jillian would have used the sound to guide her in throwing her sword straight through Olive's chest before the spell could be finished.

My guess is that the "can't initiate engagement" effect of Janis's spell allows the target to counterattack when engaged, and that the spell itself counts as an engagement, so Jojo would have been able to attack Janis if he had wanted to.

That sounds rather useless to anyone outside the MK. I strongly prefer Lilwik's explanation.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Chit Rule Railroad » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:51 pm

drachefly wrote:
Chit Rule Railroad wrote:My guess is that the "can't initiate engagement" effect of Janis's spell allows the target to counterattack when engaged, and that the spell itself counts as an engagement, so Jojo would have been able to attack Janis if he had wanted to.

That sounds rather useless to anyone outside the MK. I strongly prefer Lilwik's explanation.

While games usually give aggro abilities to tank-type characters, there are situations where a caster has enough defense for it to be useful. Examples: A well-screened caster concerned about the enemy attacking another stack or punching through a blockade; a caster who is flying casting it on a grounded melee unit; a caster mounted on a formidable heavy, like Ace being carried by a Battle Bear. For example, if the TV units ambushing Stanley in Book I had Janis on a gwiffon, potentially she could have cast it on Stanley, then had other stacks remain interposed between her stack and Stanley, and between the hex boundaries and Stanley, and he wouldn't have been able to punch through to attack her stack or escape because he couldn't engage any other stacks. Then TV could have systematically eliminated the other GK units in the hex before regrouping to focus on Stanley.

Maybe I'm biased by my interest in seeing Parson the Heavy Warlord cast such a spell from a scroll, as a further evolution of his willingness to get his hands bloody. It would certainly help him protect Wanda during a portal intrusion.
Chit Rule Railroad

Postby Squishalot » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:05 am

Chit Rule Railroad wrote:
drachefly wrote:
Chit Rule Railroad wrote:My guess is that the "can't initiate engagement" effect of Janis's spell allows the target to counterattack when engaged, and that the spell itself counts as an engagement, so Jojo would have been able to attack Janis if he had wanted to.

While games usually give aggro abilities to tank-type characters, there are situations where a caster has enough defense for it to be useful. Examples: A well-screened caster concerned about the enemy attacking another stack or punching through a blockade; a caster who is flying casting it on a grounded melee unit; a caster mounted on a formidable heavy, like Ace being carried by a Battle Bear. For example, if the TV units ambushing Stanley in Book I had Janis on a gwiffon, potentially she could have cast it on Stanley, then had other stacks remain interposed between her stack and Stanley, and between the hex boundaries and Stanley, and he wouldn't have been able to punch through to attack her stack or escape because he couldn't engage any other stacks. Then TV could have systematically eliminated the other GK units in the hex before regrouping to focus on Stanley.

Maybe I'm biased by my interest in seeing Parson the Heavy Warlord cast such a spell from a scroll, as a further evolution of his willingness to get his hands bloody. It would certainly help him protect Wanda during a portal intrusion.

Jojo indicated to the other carnies that he couldn't engage, not that he could somehow engage Janis but nobody else, nor that the spell would wear off if somebody tried to engage him. I think the spell would simply prevent engagement completely in both directions, similar to the Chillaxe but on a smaller scale.
Squishalot

Previous

Return to Reactions