Prehendo Victoria

Words in a line. All fanfic goes here, Erfworld or otherwise.

Re: Prehendo Victoria

Postby tigerusthegreat » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:37 pm

The turn started uneventfully. The snow angels flew off for a second day of scouting nearby, and Tyrin stood on the parapet of his small capital, drinking a steaming cup of spiced mead. He had seen no sign of the Doctor yet, presumably the caster was busy penning scrolls to sell in the magic kingdom. With a loud pop, the pair of Kieshus appeared at his side, and immediately let out a loud howl at the winter sun. The howl was not quite natural magic, but it was something close. It provided a +1 morale bonus to attack per Kieshu involved in the howl. A stack of the beasts could be formidable, provided they took a combat turn to howl. Tyrin reached down and scratched one of the dogs behind the ears. They had stacked with him instantly on popping, and were intensely loyal beasts, very hard to turn. In his mind, he named one Meeko and the other Misha. He left the parapet to inspect the new treasury and butchery, his new pets following him, sniffing out their new home. The pair of Kieshus made him feel a lot less lonely, filling some of the void of losing his entire life to this new existence.

The treasury was little more than an empty vault with a few scales and chests in it. Presumably, if he desired, gems would appear here. There were also special units that had natural moneymancy that could "work" in the treasury to create additional income. A brief look in sufficed to reduce the upkeep of all units that called this city home. He then walked down the icy streets to the new butchery. This building served an actual purpose. Inside it, any extra rations that he desired to be popped could be stored indefinitely, until they exceeded the size of the larder. Even then, they would take several turns to rot away. His rounds complete, he headed for the tower to continue delving into the meager library. He could not directly invest in improving the library, its contents were a function of the city itself. There would probably be books on farming and the like in there now that the butchery and treasury were finished. The real reason he wanted to go there is to read the reports the Snow Angels had left from their scouting last turn. It would be easier if they had a lookamancy link....maybe he should talk to the Doctor about that. He wasn't even sure if that was possible, but it was worth looking into.

He unrolled the map the two snow angels had made. The surrounding hexes were all mountainous or glacier. They had explored four hexes to the north, and four back, covering most of the northern areas of the city. It was not a complete map, but it was a good one. The road he had been attacked on wasn't even on this map. He guessed it was to the south, or to the west, so they would return with information on it this turn or the next. The report showed a lot of nothing. There weren't any city sites, farms, quarries, or anything really nearby, probably why this site had remained hidden for so long. There was a small cave nearby, to the north. He wondered what was in it. It could wait, of course, but he missed the relative freedom of being a warlord....the security in knowing a whole side wouldn't cease to exist because he was croaked. Many things weighed heavily on his mind, but he shoved them aside, studying every detail of the map. Rulers could not let such trifles as their own mortality worry them.
Prehendo Victoria - My first erfworld story. Comment thread

Last Updated 6/25/2014

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 6/24/2014 (First Page)
Party Raid, a TCG Development Journal Updated 6/24/14
tigerusthegreat

Postby tigerusthegreat » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:32 pm

Tyrin had decided that a barracks was needed, as well as an improved tower. It was very dangerous to not pop further units, but improving the city's ability to make money and units outweighed the danger. They were isolated from the troubles of the world. The barracks had popped overnight, but the tower would take another two turns to finish being upgraded. The barracks had given him more options, now he could pop traditional infantry: stabbers, pikers, archers. Well, almost traditional. The units were Tinuits, short creatures that wore furs and had a unique special that allowed them to construct temporary structures in the ice and snow. These structures reduced their upkeep and kept any non-tundra capable units safe from attrition caused by the cold weather. He decided to pop a dozen stabbers, a dozen archers, and a Tinuit Warchief. It would mean no additional upgrades, but it would be good to have actual troops.

The barracks itself was little more than another empty building...for now. There were beds and chests, waiting for troops to occupy the territory. In addition to allowing him to pop the Tinuit units, the presence of the barracks reduced their upkeep slightly. Higher levels of barracks would allow a greater reduction in upkeep, and allow him to train knight-class Tinuits, called Kimos. Kimos had a horrid guttoral battlecry that gave strong morale penalties to their enemies. It would be very difficult for anyone to invade them in their isolated snow kingdom. However, when the time came to invade the world around them, things would be difficult. All of these Tundra specialized units would do him little good in the plains and hills of Vatima. Unless he blanketed the world in snow, but that was beyond his power. He reached down and scratched Misa behind the ears, before heading up to the parapet. As if appearing from nowhere, the Doctor stepped out from an alleyway, arms loaded with scrolls.

"Hello, my lord, I was just looking for you." The Doctor almost dropped the scrolls. "I have had great success with these, and would like to head into the Magic Kingdom a turn early. I will not be able to transport more than these without making several trips, and that might make people suspicious about why I am making so many."

Tyrin looked the stack of scrolls over. "They will fetch a good price?"

"Hard to say, as I did not have a chance to scout the market, lord, but yes, they should. While Changeamancy is the school of altering things, one thing that never changes is the demand for it."

"Very well. Here is a list of what I need you to buy. Get them by any means you can, trade favors, call in credit, whatever you can." Tyrin handed the Doctor a small scroll. The Doctor's eyes went wide as he read the list, and he was clearly taken aback. However, he only nodded and headed for the portal room. It was going to be a few interesting turns.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby tigerusthegreat » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:02 pm

Tyrin waited for many long hours while the Doctor was in the Magic Kingdom. Selling a load of specialized scrolls was something that would take more than a moment. It wasn't like he could just go up to the first person he saw, and demand money in exchange for all of them. Besides, he deserved a chance to explore the Magic Kingdom, and there was, of course, the list. He just hoped that the Doctor didn't realize the true purpose of the items on the list. It was too soon for him to realize what was going on in its entirety.

The Overlord looked over the map. The Snow Angels had updated it, adding the hexes to the north-east and north-west, completing the northern half of their reconnaissance. Nothing too interesting there, except for a farm site. His treasury was empty, so that site was useless to him at the moment, but next turn it would be very useful. He mentally ordered the snow angels to capture the site next turn, and he would create a farm there. The cave on the map still stood out to him, calling to him. He felt luck and fate shift in the world around him, if he didn't act in this moment, he would miss out on an opportunity. It was strange, feeling the magic in the world again. Since his transformation, he hadn't felt anything. He considered the real possibility that this was a deletionist trap. It seemed very unlikely, as they wouldn't know where he was, or if he was even still alive. No, this was the forces of existence toying with him, the three demigods tugging at his strings, trying to get him to move in a particular direction.

Misha and Meeko followed him out of the library as he headed for the city gate. His armor had been replaced with the furs and cold steel that befitted his status as Overlord, but he had not found a suitable new weapon. He walked through the front gate with his small bodyguard, and trudged through the ice and snow to the north. The trek was much easier than his struggle to get into the mountains, the very nature of his body had changed when he became an Overlord. This was his natural terrain type now, and he could bound over it at lightning speed if he wished. Meeko and Misha certainly enjoyed the snow and ice, playing with one another, but always staying near their master. The bitter cold did not affect them, and it only frosted Tyrin's breath and armor. He felt the chill, certainly, but it was nothing compared to the frigid cold of the crown.

"I do not think this is wise, my king. Next turn you will have an army to investigate the cave." The crown spoke to him.

"Next turn will be too late. I need to go to that cave, and i need to go today. End of discussion." The crown did not say anything further.

The three hexes to the cave took an hour to travel at Tyrin's slow pace. His armor was caked with snow and ice, furs dusted white. The maw of the cave stood before him, tall enough to admit a mounted rider. The two Kieshus took up positions on either side of him, waiting for his permission to enter the cave. Tyrin took the first step in, and they followed, sniffing and looking in every crevice. The light from outside quickly diminished to nothing, but the burning crown on his head lit his way. He descended down what seemed like a set of stairs carved into the stone itself. That is when he noticed the walls were carved in pictograms. Each one showed a different scene in crude stick figures. It didn't make much sense to him, but they appeared to progress from the beginning of the cave as he got further along. In one scene, one figure was show stuck with arrows, and he did not appear again afterwards. It was strange, but that was not what he was here for.

The stairway eventually ended in a wide open area. Here two braziers burned, and in between them was a large iron chest. Tyrin touched the chest, and it unlocked, much to his amazement. A figure materialized before him, an old man in a red robe. His words reverberated throughout the cave.

"It is dangerous to go alone, take this."

The man disappeared, and Tyrin opened the chest. Inside, sitting on a velvet lining, was a beautiful sword. It was a steel broadsword, almost as tall as he was. Picking it up he felt the balance. It was perfectly balanced for his strength and size. it felt as if the sword was made for him specifically. He felt the air get colder around the blade, and felt its magic. He raised the blade above his head, and yelled. "I name you Rime, may your frost chill the hearts of the wicked." The cave shook with the power of his voice. He had found his new weapon.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby tigerusthegreat » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:09 pm

The entire cavern shook, and small pieces of rock fell from the ceiling. Meeko and Misha were agitated, nervously milling around, tails down. Tyrin knew it was time to leave before the entire cave collapsed, but he took his time walking back up the stairs. The two Kieshus staying in sight, but only barely. Tyrin was not afraid. This cave was not a trap, but its time in the world was waning. As his boots made contact with the packed snow and ice outside the cave, it roared with an avalanche of rock, sealing the entrance. Part of him knew the cave was gone forever, sealed into the erf by powerful magic. It was a strange magic...a turnamancy spell that allowed the cave to exist, moments from destruction, until disturbed, when the cataclysmic dirtamancy took hold. It was an interesting tactic, as such a powerful dirtamancy spell would take time to setup and cast, and was far too powerful to seal into a trap indefinitely, but turnamancy was the discipline of manipulating time itself. If anyone had a spell to delay time indefinitely, it was the turnamancers.

"YOUR THOUGHTS ARE CORRECT!" Tyrin turned to see three metal golems standing in the snow nearby. They were conical in shape, with the top of the cone finishing in a dome. A glass eye sat in the middle of the dome, and two metal sticks stuck out of the front of the cone body. Along the bottom of the cone were small spheres, like the buttons on a shirt.

"I prefer talking to mind-reading." Tyrin said, Rime coming to his hand. The two Kieshus howled, adding their bonuses to their small stack. "Who or what are you things?"

"YOU ARE THE ENEMY! YOU WILL BE DELETED!" Three energy bolts came out of one of the metal sticks, one from each of the golems. "DELETE! DELETE!" They yelled in unison.

One of the bolts missed wide, one hit Rime clean in the center of the blade. The weapon shimmered for a moment, but was unaffected. The third, slammed into Misha, sending her sprawling into the snow, her side scorched. She was still alive, luckily the defense bonus of being stacked with her overlord, chief warlord, and the Kieshu's loyalty bonus to defense kept her from being croaked. Meeko lunged at one of the golems, teeth crushing the shockamancy weapon it had fired. "That was a mistake. Nobody hurts my dogs." Tyrin said calmly. He ran at the lead golem, Rime in his hands. With all the force of the charge, he brought the sword down, bisecting the golem. Rime glowed green, just like the shockamancy bolt, and the insides of the golem exploded, showering the hex with burning wreckage. The third golem fired its shockamancy weapon, hitting Tyrin in the chest. He felt half his hits disappear in a flash, a neat hole burned in his side, making it hard to breath. The other golem unleashed a flaming attack on Meeko, charring his fur black. The attack wasn't nearly as strong as the Shockamancy bolt, and Meeko was still in fighting shape.

Meeko's teeth broke the metal stick that the flames had come from, wrecking it as thoroughly as the shockamancy one. Tyrin swung Rime around, cutting the dome off of the third golem. He caught a glimpse of something pink and bubbling on the inside...some kind of unit inside the golem. It was an ugly deformed thing. He braced for another attack, but none came.

"RETREAT! RETREAT!" There was a loud pop, like a unit being created, and the two remaining golems disappeared. The wreckage, and severed dome remained behind. Tyrin went over to Misha. Both she and Meeko had levelled, taking her from one hit left to four. The two howled in victory, and Tyrin smiled. They had done their job as bodyguards, and would serve him until they died protecting him. They were good, loyal units.

He looked towards KingsLanding, and noticed how long it had been since he left the city. He whistled for the Kieshus to follow him, and headed back to the city. Perhaps The Doctor would be back with news.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby tigerusthegreat » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:19 am

The Doctor had indeed returned from his trip into the Magic Kingdom by the time Tyrin and his kieshus entered King's Landing. He looked shocked to see Tyrin's injuries, immediately asking a barrage of questions to his Overlord. Tyrin stared him down, forcing the caster to stop.

"I investigated a cave, and fought some enemies. It was a good turn." Tyrin said. The Doctor's eyes finally gazed on Rime. "And this is my prize for doing so; Rime, the sword of IceVale." The Doctor went white upon seeing the sword, and was unusually quiet. "Speak, caster, what is wrong?"

"My Lord, that sword....what exactly was guarding it?" Tyrin described the creatures that had attacked, and the way the cave collapsed only after he left it. "Lekdas....how are they back?" The Doctor collapsed onto the ground.

"Doctor, tell me more about these Lekdas....your former side was at war with them, but you said they were all locked away, thousands of turns ago."

"They should be.....I don't know how three of them escaped."

"You escaped, perhaps they did so in a similar manner?" Tyrin said. "There are only two of them left, anyway. If Misha, Meeko and myself can destroy one and damage two others without losses, they won't be too much trouble."

The Doctor stood, and grabbed Tyrin by the neck of his cloak. "Even one escaping is dangerous. One Lekda, with a few turns, can build three more. That is why they are so formidable, they are creatures of shockamancy, turnamancy, and dollamancy. Given enough time, they will build an army and march here to destroy you."

Tyrin pushed the Doctor away. "Then we will prepare for an army of them. With Rime, I fear no Lekda." He turned and began walking towards the tower.

"You sound like someone I knew once, Overlord." Tyrin stopped in his tracks. "I have seen that weapon before, it once belonged to a brilliant turnamancer I knew. Odd for a turnamancer to have a sword like that, but he was a militant mind. He too thought the Lekda could be beaten in a simple war, if we prepared enough. He was against sealing the turn-bubble, rightfully saying it would be our demise, when we should rule the world with our vast supply of casters, bringing the other sides to their knees in tribute. Maybe he was right, maybe Galla would still exist, then, but facing the Lekdas in open battle is a fool's errand, even with the Master's Sword."

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby tigerusthegreat » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:07 pm

"Tell me about the Lekda." Tyrin said, now comfortable situated in the library. Dozens of scrolls were on the tables, all purchased on his orders by The Doctor.

"There are two parts to them. A golem, and a rider...or pilot. The golem is the Lek part, and the pilot is called a Da. That's how they came to be, the Leks created the golems, naming them after themselves, and the Das transformed some of their own warlords into those putrid things that pilot them. Combined together, they are a unit with a leadership bonus, and capable of casting shockamancy and turnamancy."

"They teleported away when I killed one, and damaged another."

"Yes, they retreated into the turn-matrix itself. They could reappear anywhere during any turn. There are some rules, of course....if they fled quickly, then they may not end up where they wanted to be."

"But if they can just teleport again, then they can end up on any turn they wish."

"Not exactly. There are some rules, like I said. You cannot cross your own turn-path, so they could not appear here, and now they cannot appear to you in the past either. If they did, you would know that they existed, and that would change the events that have happened. They could, however, change something about a side we haven't met yet, but I don't think they have a reason to. They were likely trapped by the turn-stop spell that kept the cave from collapsing. Once you dispelled it by opening the chest, they were able to escape."

"What do they want?"

"What do any of us want? They want to dominate all of the erf. They want to release their Masters from the Turn-lock, presumably to finish that conquest."

"Couldn't they just go back and stop you from sealing the Turn-lock?"

"No, for several reasons. First, they were there, so they'd be crossing paths. Also, the only reason they exist outside the turn-lock is because the turn-lock exists. It is the same reason I cannot go back to a turn before we did it, and warn someone. It doesn't work, or the turn-matrix would collapse." He sighed. "Not that I have a means to travel back, but if I could, I couldn't."

"This is extremely complicated. We can wait until tomorrow to start utilizing these." Tyrin waved at the scrolls on the table.

"My Lord, if you don't mind me asking, why did you have me get these? They are such an odd assortment."

"Because you're going to cast them on me." Tyrin stood and went to the door. "Goodnight, Doctor." He ended the turn.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby tigerusthegreat » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:01 pm

"You appear as a lvl 4 Overlord." The Doctor said, the fifth scroll disappearing from his hands. "The results are identical to the last four."

"Well, it is always good to know that." Tyrin said. It was indeed good, not one of the specialized lookamancy spells The Doctor had obtained had revealed him as anything other than an Overlord. His disguise was very solid indeed. "Now the findamancy spell, try to find Regus, a warlord."

The Doctor unfurled another scroll. "Sire, I don't think it will work. Even real findamancers need more information than that."

Tyrin considered a moment. "Very well. I won't need the rest of these for now. Store them."

The Doctor nodded. "If I can ask, what was the point of that?"

"I am being careful. You don't know my past, and you won't, not for a while at least. These precautions are necessary because of the forces at work against me." Tyrin stepped out onto the parapet. The library now was on the second floor of the three story tower, and connected to the outer walls. In the streets below, the Tinuit soldiers practiced, under the guidance of Jinra Two-Snows, their lvl 1 Warlord. She said little, but her stare was enough to get her units motivated, her cold blue eyes penetrating through to your very soul. "Suffice it to say there are two empires to our south that want me dead. In addition to the Lekda, who probably are angry over me defeating them, and of course that you are part of our side. I wanted to know what their casters would see when the look for me, and ensure something wasn't already being cast on me as well."

"I detected no magic effects, save for Rime. That blade bends magic in a strange way. The way you describe the battle, it seems to have absorbed a shockamancy spell, then redirected it into the Lekda."

"Yes, that was strange indeed. I did not order it to do either, which is strange. Magic items are supposed to obey their masters."

"I have heard of intelligent magic items. They make their own minds up about when to use their abilities, and some even try to have masters that disagree with them killed, so they can pass to another."

"I think Rime and I understand each other. It wants to kill, and I want to kill. That should be enough for it." Tyrin was worried. The last thing he needed was another intelligent magic item. "Tell me more of the turn-war, and how you were spared from the turn-bubble." Now the Doctor looked nervous, but it was an order he was compelled to obey.

"The war started when the Das gave us a gift of poisoned food, designed to keep casters from casting spells...."

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby tigerusthegreat » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:09 am

"We were a kingdom rich in magic of all sorts. We had moneymancers, dollomancers, carnymancers, dittomancers....but most of all, we had the largest school of turnamancers in existance. This was in the days before the Treaty of Magic Independence that established the Magic Kingdom as a safe haven for caster-kind. We were a refuge of sorts for those skilled in spellcraft. Galla's cities were a wonder to behold. Towering spires, grand libraries, and the signamancers and foolamancers would paint the sky a different shade of any lovely color they could dream every night, just because they could. They wasted juice on whims like that. We felt safe, because of our magic." The Doctor smiled faintly a the memory, the haggard look of thousands of turns showing for once since he had popped.

"The Das sent us a peace offering, which was not unusual. We held a feast with the food they gave, and ate until we could eat no more. Come morning, all of the casters who attended the feast found their juice was empty, they could perform no magic. Then the LekDa attacked. That is when we knew we were doomed. We activated ancient defenses, three thousand Battle Tortoises, a million soldiers of the infinite army, countless golems...all the combined magic stored from hundreds of casters. It wasn't enough. The great city of Galla was falling."

"It was not hopeless, though. Six of us had not gone to the festivities. Myself, four turnamancers, and a shockamancer known as the Master.

"I thought the Master was a turnamancer."

"That is a complicated wrinkle to the story. When Galla units are first popped, we were taken to a ceremonial place. There we would stare into the Untempered Schism, a great rip in the fabric of the universe. The portals that make up a capital's connection to the Magic Kingdom are versions of these holes, but they are tempered and tuned to be safe to enter for casters. The Untempered Schism allowed one to perceive all of eternity. It gave any unit that looked into it rudimentary turnamancy powers. For casters, it was akin to giving a second discipline, making all of us turnamancers as well as whatever else we were. True Galla Turnamancers were turnamancers before looking into the schism. It drove many of them mad."

"I see. So the war went badly and Galla was falling."

"When we saw the devastation, we tried to fight the LekDa in whatever way we could. The Master took his sword....your Rime, sir....and cut through the ranks of the enemy. While he distracted them, the turnamancers and myself found an ancient weapon in the ruins of Galla. It is known as the Instant, a terrible weapon that could only be unleashed by the most powerful of our casters. The Master could have controlled it, but he was occupied. It took a certain kind of mind to wield it, and the five of us remaining did not have it. Donna, one of the Turnamancers, had the idea that if they focused their magic, I could cast a powerful changeamancy spell on myself, and take myself out of the Turn-Matrix itself. I would exist outside of turns, be repopped throughout history until the Erf was no more. I would bypass the rules containing the instant, and use it to save Galla, sacrificing everything I was in the process."

"Naturally I agreed, willing to trade my existence for that of my side and my friends. They cast their spell and I took up the Instant. With my mind opened from the spell, I could see that the Instant was not a weapon that could be used indiscriminately. If I would destroy the LekDa, I had to also destroy Galla. They were locked together in an immortal struggle, tearing at the fabric of the turns themselves. So much magic was burning through the threads that held the erf together. We had used too much magic in this war, and the LekDa had as well. The Master had seen this. When he looked into the Untempered Schism as a newly popped unit, he saw the end of Galla. He saw what I was doing now in that moment so many turns before. He looked at me across the battlefield and begged me to stop. I couldn't. The Instant had taken control of me. He dropped his sword, and fled. The Instant removed all of Galla, the LekDa, and the entire war from existence. The war continues to rage, locked away in a turn-bubble, until something unlocks it and Galla is destroyed."

"I am sorry, Doctor." Tyrin said, contemplating the sword at his side. "Do you think the Master is still out there? Or did he get sucked into the turn bubble too?"

"I hope he is still out there. I am alone, sire. I'm the last of my kind. If he lives, even if he just wants to put me out of my misery...even if he never can forgive me....I owe him an explanation."

"I understand, Doctor. I have a similar situation with a certain Chief Warlord from another side. She wants me dead, but I love her."
Last edited by tigerusthegreat on Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby tigerusthegreat » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:54 pm

Tyrin stood on the walls as he had for every turn since IceVale's creation. The Doctor stood beside him, indifferent to the cold. The caster wore his thin brown coat, and his brown hair blew in the wind. "I knew of a side called Galla. A friend of mine once mentioned it, but this was a dozen turns ago, not at the dawn of Erf."

"Then it was not my Galla." The Doctor's eyes were focused on a point far away. "Turnamancers have a theory that when something is placed outside the turn-continuum, it echoes throughout Erf. It can cause all sorts of strange coincidences. I have lived for nine hundred turns, and I have met three hundred sixty two units named Tim Burr Tonne, or some phonetic iteration. All of them had odd senses of humor."

Tyrin looked sideways at his Chief Caster. "I can only imagine what you would find an odd sense of humor, Doctor." Tyrin could feel the small pack of Kieshus pop. Next turn they would trek out with the Tinuit soldiers. "We need to find another city site. This one and the farm are barely paying for the units we have popped, even as a capital site."

"Ice and snow with no natural resources, its not a great economic site. Defensively, however....".

"Use the findamancy spell. Find me a city site."

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby tigerusthegreat » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:29 am

Fifteen turns had passed since the founding of KingsLanding. IceVale had three cities now, in addition to two farms and a mine. KingsLanding was a lvl 3 city, but WinterFalls, a city founded near a frozen waterfall, and Shorn, a city site the Doctor had found with the help of findamancy, were both lvl 1's. IceVale was beyond the threat of being wiped out easily. New cities had provided some new unit types as well. Shorn had a terrain bonus to trade, and could pop short, fat units called IceRoad Twuckers. They were intelligent mounts that had a bonus to transporting non-living materials, including golems. Tyrin had had a few conversations with them, and calling them intelligent was stretching things. He was sure the Kieshus were more intelligent than the Twuckers. The kingdom had been at peace, finding only a few wild encounters, but no true enemies. No LekDa had appeared or any other terror from the Doctor's past.

The Doctor had been hard at work on some project or another. He had made minor tweaks to the units each city could produce. Tyrin was keeping him busy enough to burn his juice, and ensure he would level in his discipline, but not so busy so he couldn't pursue his interests. Tyrin was sure the Doctor was up to some mischief, but he did not concern himself with it. It was likely mischief for the LekDa, should they show up.

Tyrin had formed a stronger bond with Rime. The blade was...odd. It interfered with the spell that made him a ruler. It licked at the magical energy, absorbing some small part of it every morning. A small reserve of it was in the sword now, ready to change existence. The power was not nearly enough to affect the world yet, but it was there. It also told him that he had more than enough juice to control the transformation. He was getting more powerful, even if he couldn't feel it himself. A feeling in the back of his mind told him that the Doctor had used the last of his juice, and that all his units were where they should be. Mentally he ended the turn, starting the next one instantly. It was comforting that there were no unallied troops in the area.

There was a pop behind him. Tyrin turned to meet his new unit. Her skin tone was several shades darker than any other unit in Icevale, most of who were very pale, but hardly could be called dark. Her frizzy hair framed a face with a fierce intelligence. She reminded Tyrin of someone, but he could not place it yet. She held an odd weapon. It was a small metal tube on a handle with several lights on it. The disconcerting thing was that she was pointing it at him. About that time, the Doctor came out of the tower and saw the new unit.

She looked at him and smiled. "Hello, Sweetie."

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby tigerusthegreat » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:40 pm

"I take it you two have met." Tyrin said as the Doctor and the newly popped unit kissed.

"Yes, sire. This is my wife, Melody."

"Dirtamancer" She said, tying her hair back. "Digging around helps me track down where this one has been." She pointed at the Doctor.

"Like the time in Cleptica, where...."

She put her finger to his lips. "Spoilers. I haven't been to Cleptica."

"Turn travel, you never meet in the right order."

Tyrin stared at the pair of them, trying to wrap his head around the situation. "Melody, there was a cave nearby that was collapsed by a turn locked dirtamancy trap. Do you think there is any way to recover anything from it?"

"Recovering artifacts of the past is a specialty."

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby tigerusthegreat » Thu May 01, 2014 11:47 pm

"Definitely Lekda." Melody said, holding up a crushed and dented piece of metal that vaguely resembled the dome of the golems. "At least two hundred turns old."

"I can sense the turn-lock. It has dissipated some, but the energy lingers. It must have taken a Master Class turnamancer to do this." The Doctor said.

"The dirtamancy trap was Master Class as well. There's not much recoverable about the glyphs you saw, Lord Tyrin."

Misha and Meeko sniffed around the site, clearly agitated. They recalled the battle, and were wary of what could happen here. Rime also glowed fervently, ready to taste battle again. "Very well. Thank you for looking." Tyrin turned to head back to the capital.

"Wait what's this..." Melody pulled something from the rubble. It was a small tablet of stone with strange glyphs written on it.

"What does it say? Do you recognize the language?" Tyrin asked.

"Its written in Ancient Galla." The Doctor said, putting on a pair of glasses. "It would make sense, being from the cave that the Master's Sword was hidden in."

"What does it say?" Tyrin asked.

The Doctor and Melody looked at one another, and answered in unison. "Hello, Sweetie."

----------------

"I didn't put it there....not yet at least." Melody said. They were sitting comfortably in KingsLanding's library. The once bare shelves now were stuffed with books, thanks to the many city improvements and additional sites and cities in the empire.

"You've never mentioned it before, either. Which means you had a reason not to tell me." The Doctor said. "I wonder if it was because..."

"Spoilers." Melody interrupted. "There is likely a reason, don't try to figure it out, we will both know in time."

Tyrin rolled his eyes at the pair. It was confusing enough trying to understand their relationship from the outside, but having their loving understanding thrown in his face after what he had lost was almost too much. "Casters, whatever it was, it is no longer there and nothing else was recoverable. We need to move on." Tyrin nodded to the map in the middle of the library. "There are two other city sites nearby, and I want those sites conquered. They are both empty sites, which we have been fortunate to find so many of in our initial expansion. Melody, you will head out to claim the sites and construct initial buildings."

"Yes, Lord Tyrin." She nodded, winked at the Doctor, and left the room.

"As for you, Doctor, we need to have a little discussion about magic." He could tell defining the nature of magic was something unpleasant to the Doctor, as if he was questioning everything that the Chief Caster did. The Doctor was used to others following his lead without question, and that was something Tyrin could not do. "I want you to explain the fundamental differences between Changeamancy and Carnymancy. For example, I saw a carnymancer once make it possible for a city to construct level five walls cheaply even though it was level three. I imagine you could do something similar here, changing the city to be a level five while the walls were built."

"Well, its not that easy, sire." The Doctor paused, thinking about how to describe the realm of magic to an Overlord. "Changeamancy changes what something is. If I change a city to a level five, it is a level five city until the spell wears off. Carnymancy, as best I understand it, only makes things count as if they were changed. So a level three city is still a level three city, even if a carnymancer makes it appear as a level five for the purposes of building walls. When changemanacy wears off, the thing returns to what it was, whereas with carnymancy it never had changed."

"What of retconjuration? Isn't that the forbidden art of making things different than they are? How is that any different than either discipline."

"Retconjuration, from what I understand of the art, makes things as if they had always been that way. It does not change something that is, or make it appear different, it is different and always has been. When the spell wears off, it is as if that spell had never existed, things return to their natural order, but the affects are still there. Like master class turnamancy, it is hard to get your mind around it."

"Very well, Doctor. You have answered some of my questions." Tyrin left the library to go to his quarters. He rarely spent any time there, but he needed to be alone and nobody would bother him there.

He had noticed that slowly he had been gaining experience. This morning he had levelled. Even overlords had to level, he supposed, but not he felt the faintest trickle of juice in the back of his mind, like drops of dew on a flower. It was a sign of better things to come.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby tigerusthegreat » Mon May 05, 2014 10:57 pm

Lord Tyrin was alone in the capital, save for the garrison force. He had sent all of his commanders off to the two new city sites. The Doctor and Melody had gone with them. He was free of any unit that had any chance of detecting spellcasting. A mental tug told him one of the new cities had been founded, and very cheaply at that. He queued up as many buildings as the city could afford, cheapened by Melody's presence. The city would be building things for a number of turns, but she could be moved along to the next, where he would repeat the process. This site was near the edge of the mountains to the West. Beyond them there was the potential for enemies or allies. Once the city was established properly, he would have his Snow Angels fly over there and see what they could see.

His isolation gave him an opportunity. The tiny trickle of juice just begged to be used, and so Tyrin used it. He cast a tiny trickle of shockamancy into Rime. He felt the power flow into the sword....not quite a full spell, but the raw potential of one. Perhaps another turn or two would turn it into a Hoboken or something else. Rime allowed him to store these trickles and use them later, which was useful, until he reached the limits of Rime's power. Given his relative weakness, he did not see that happening anytime soon. He set further mental orders, and ended the turn.

--------

Three turns of funnelling his small amount of juice into Rime finally had some effect. He could feel the shockamancy ready to be unleashed in the sword, all he needed was a target. These castings had netted him a small amount of experience as well, pushing him slightly closer to level six. IceVale was five cities strong now, and his Snow Angels had reported a city just over the mountains from Iras Minith, the fourth city of IceVale. Getting siege over the mountains would be tricky, but he had some ideas on that. He mentally called Misha and Meeko, and several other Kieshus. Hooking them all up to a sled made them effectively mounts, and useful when a twucker wasn't available. The Doctor was in the fifth city of Icevale, Macon Icetoll. It was time to build some fliers other than Snow Angels.

-------

"You reminded me of someone I knew in a past regeneration, but I thought it was this old mind playing tricks on me." The Doctor said. Tyrin had clearly taken him aback by his revelation.

"You can tell noone, not any of your Turn Lords, not Melody....noone can know this secret. I have only told you because I need you to know for this." In the presence of another caster, Rime sung with the power stored. It was eager to fight and kill, and it would soon taste battle. "Is what I am asking even possible?"

"Theoretically, yes, sire." The Doctor said, looking through scrolls on the nearby desk. "It would be best with a thinkamancer, but this scroll should be able to manage it. Its....its just that retconjuration was never considered when links were researched. It was always taught to be a heresy."

"It is a thing older than you, Doctor, and that terrifies you."

"Yes, there's that too, but mixing disciplines isn't an easy thing. It can kill casters, even experienced and skilled ones. In your current state you are essentially a novice. Little juice, no real control..."

"Then you will have to be amazing, Doctor. Your juice will power the spell, just think of me as a novice dollamancer, and make the changes through me."

"Very well, sire. Look directly at me. Now, imagine that you have the power to make objects move. You can give them hits, make them attack. Don't blink....blink and we're both croaked....."

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby tigerusthegreat » Wed May 07, 2014 1:04 am

Tyrin did not have a way of describing the exhaustion that followed the link with the Doctor. He felt like every last ounce of energy had been drawn out of him. The Doctor did not look much better for wear, but he had the advantage of a real juice pool. If the crown had not held his form, he would not have remained an overlord. The experiment had been worth it. Macon Icetoll was building something far more powerful than Snow Angels. Every available Tinuit, Keishu, and non-garrison unit was making their way to this city, to take to the offensive. The snow angels had found a target, and he would exploit it while he could.

-------

"Are you sure we can manage this?" Jackson, a Tinuit warlord, asked Tyrin, yelling over the noise the ICEY 130's made as they flew over the mountains. The two massive units transported a sizeable force of Tinuits and Kieshus to the target area: a small city on the other side of the mountain range.

"We have more than enough units to take the city." Tyrin said.

"We're over the target area now, sir." The pilot yelled back.

"Fire at will, captain." The entire ship shook as several large guns located on the sides fired onto the city walls. Massive ice shards pummelled the city, sending frozen shrapnel through the sparse defenders.

"Drop zone ready, sire. Be ready for danger close fire support."

Tyrin nodded, and leapt out of the hatch that opened out of the back of the ICEY 130. The wind whistled by as he plummeted to to the ground. All around him Tinuit and Keishus were falling with him. The city sent a few arrows their way, but none came close to hitting. A few hundred feet above the ground, Tyrin was jerked back, as a canopy of fabric opened above him. The parachute allowed for quick insertion, which was beneficial for this sort of attack. Tyrin's admiration of the device was cut short as he landed hard on the ground, getting tangled in the cords. He cut himself free with Rime, finding himself in the center of the garrison. Meeko and Misha were instantly by his side.

"Sire, its a good insertion, but this isn't a Angican city like we thought. Its controlled by a side called Espagn. They must have captured it in the interim."

"I know of them. Its no matter, better we kill their units than Angican units." Tyrin was knocked to the ground as the two ICEY 130s opened up on the tower, sending ice and stone in every direction. The tower leaned precariously to one side. The shock of the aerial assault was starting to wear off the defenders, as they began coming in organized groups. Three arrows went wide, barely missing Tyrin. He spared them no mind, as a stack of heavy pikers engaged his partial stack. Jackson and his stack of stabbers had engaged the archers.

Tyrin was in the full flow of battle. Rime bisected a pike, taking the piker's hand with it. Meeko and Misha each downed another piker, taking a few points of damage in the process. A fourth piker fell to a quick slash of Rime. The fifth got tripped by Meeko and Misha ripped out his through. Number Six got a lucky hit in, driving his pike deep into Tyrin's side. He unleashed the shockamancy spell from Rime, and blue lightning arced over the remaining three pikers, bringing them down. Tyrin pulled the pike out of his ribs, and looked for another target.

Jackson had finished the stack of archers. No other units were apparent, at least until an arrow hit the warlord in the shoulder. Looking up, on the tilting tower were a small stack of archers, taking potshots at the attacking units.

Fire Mission: TT 142. Tyrin thought at the two ICEY 130s. They responded by unleashing an avalanche of ice and death on the top of the tower. The entire building shuddered, and began collapsing, sending the remaining archers tumbling to the ground. As they hit with a loud smack, the city changed sides, becoming the latest aquisition of IceVale. Mission Complete, Return to base.

""

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby tigerusthegreat » Thu May 08, 2014 9:22 am

The city was officially named Nevers. Renaming existing cities was a pain, so Tyrin left it as it was. The ICEY 130s had flown back to Makon Icetoll, which would be popping more of the monstrosities over the next dozen turns. The combination of flying, siege and transport capacity had been a major success. Vertical insertion would not be possible against heavier defended targets, and this one lacked any defensive spells.

He felt a tickle in the back of his mind, almost like a gentle tap on his mental shoulder. He acknowledged it, and a small blue figure appeared in his vision. It was a tall man in long robes. "Greetings, overlord. Congratulations on your conquest of Nevers."

"Thank you." Tyrin said. "Who do I have the pleasure of addressing?"

"I am Anabrothar GroundRunner, General of the Angican Republic. Nevers was one of our cities until two turns ago, when the Espagnians took it. They have ended their war in the south, so their attentions get turned to us. They already conquered the Enfrutters that were a boundary between us. It is good to see someone able to take something of theirs."

"And you are calling me, why? You want your city back?"

"Ideally, yes, we cannot afford to lose any production, as our standing army is small. We are a side dedicated to peace, serenity and balance." Tyrin noticed a small metal cylinder on his hip....a scroll case, or a weapon of some sort? "I offer you an alliance. We will renounce our claim on Nevers, if you help us defeat the Espangians once and for all."

"I'll agree with one more caveat. They have a carnymancer. He is to be captured, not croaked. I have had run-ins with him before and he has information I need. He i to be turned over to me."

"We cannot condone torture."

"I don't intend to torture him, General. I plan on croaking him once he has given me the information I seek. I will not have to harm him for him to turn over the information."

"Then we are agreed. Our scouts have indicated that there is a sizable force of Espagnian infantry and siege heading your way from the north. That was the column that initially conquered Nevers."

"We will have a few surprises for them." The thinkagram ended, and Tyrin issued a handful of silent orders. The column would have a hard time retaking this city.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby tigerusthegreat » Sat May 10, 2014 12:34 am

"Scouts indicate there are four enemy stacks inbound and they will reach the city during their turn, provided they take this road." Tyrin pointed to the road on the map that led through a forested area around the territory. "Two stacks of archers, a stack of heavy pikers and siege."

"I set up three dirtamancy traps in this hex." Melody pointed to the hex next to the enemy stacks. "They will probably set them off on their next turn."

"Casualties?"

"Depends who enters the hex first. My hunch is that it will be the archers or the heavies. Probably four archers or two heavies."

"Not nearly enough." The Doctor said. "Even with all three of us in the city, we will never last with the siege."

"What about the gunships?" Melody asked.

"Its a forest hex, so the enemy has good cover. The ICEY 130s will have to dip low, and in range of the archers. It would be better served to have them here when they try to take the city."

"We could lead a stack in to destroy their siege. A stack of tinuits or kieshus should be able to do it." The Doctor said, pondering over the map.

"We need those units here." Tyrin thought.

"What if we burn the city? Demolish it, leave them an empty site, and bump our treasury a bit?" The Doctor asked.

"We need the production. This city would be not producing anything for three or four turns at least." Melody said.

"The only way they are going to reach this city is if they stay on the road." Tyrin said. "I will lead a handful of tinuits to meet them in this hex." He pointed to one hex beyond the traps. "If we are lucky they will send one stack of archers in, and we can slaughter them."

"And if you aren't, you will have one stack against four." The Doctor said. "Its suicide."

"That's why the ICEY 130s are going to be in that hex too." Tyrin said.

"They'll get shot down. How is this any better?" Melody asked.

"Two words:" Tyrin said. "Danger Close."

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby tigerusthegreat » Mon May 12, 2014 11:36 pm

Tyrin waited in the underbrush. Three explosions shook the ground as the dirtamancy traps in the next hex went off. With his Ruler Sense he knew Melody had levelled from the spell's destructive powers, which meant that they had done some damage at least. A full enemy archer stack entered the hex, cautiously looking for more traps. Tyrin mentally ordered the stack of troops to hold. The archers stepped forward, closer to the stack. No other units entered. The stack was almost on top of the first Kieshus when Tyrin gave the order. The four dogs howled, and Tyrin and three Tinuit stabbers burst forth from the shrubs.

Tyrin's sword cut through the archer before him. The surprise and stacking bonus of the Kieshus made short work of the rest. It wasn't a fight so much as a slaughter, but all three Tinuits suffered hits. Out of the corner of his eye, Tyrin saw the heavy stack and half an archery stack enter the hex. A volley of four arrows flew by, barely missing him. The Kieshus and Tinuits weren't as lucky, and one of the stabbers was down. Rime sang in a wide arc, severing an arm of a heavy piker. He needed the siege to enter the hex. His stack could not handle both the heavies and the archers. Two of the Kieshus were downed, but so were the four archers and one heavy. Seven heavy pikers against Tyrin, two tinuits and two kieshus. Tyrin thrust rime into the guts of another piker, as a kieshu went down. He felt lucky he had left Meeko and Misha behind, or one would be dead. last two tinuits went down, taking one piker with him. Now it was just Tyrin and a single kieshu against five pikers....no, four, the kieshu got one. Suddenly, the siege entered the hex. Tyrin guessed that this was an attempt to keep some of the pikers alive, but it was what he had waited on.

Tyrin turned and ran, ordering the Kieshu to follow. Before it could, a pike impaled it, leaving him by himself. Fire Mission: TRP 7, 7, 4 He thought, and the forest around him exploded in icey shrapnel. The siege engines burst apart like they were toys in the hands of an angry child. The pikers were turned into bloody mist. There was space between the canopy, where trees had been blasted away. Tyrin could make out the two ICEY 130s, flying in tight circles. It had been a gamble, but it had paid off well. Grunting, he pulled a shard of ice from his side. Had he been any closer, he would have suffered the same fate as the enemy units. Luck had been with him today.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby tigerusthegreat » Tue May 13, 2014 10:57 pm

"You handled the enemy siege group very well. Much better than any of our forces have managed." The little, blue thinkagram said. This was Binowa Nokibi, another general in long robes from Angica. "We are currently working on a strategy to assist your war efforts. Things have gone slow, I'm afraid."

Tyrin looked around Nevers. It had become a literal airbase, with the three ICEY 130's the side now owned ferrying troops to the city. "We will manage. Tell me, general, how did the Espangians take this city? What losses did they suffer?"

"Few, I'm afraid. The Republic has been choked by corruption and greed. Each representative wants their own city to receive the best improvements and upgrades. Any troops we do pop are ceremonial. We are a peaceful people, dedicated to balance and understanding above all things. We do not give in to passion, or bloodlust, we seek serenity."

"Sounds like you got a raw deal, then, because war has come and those that believe in peace get killed quickly." Tyrin said, coldly. He once believed peace was possible, that you could live in a world where there was no more war. Such thoughts were useless in a war zone. "Pursuing them on one front is not likely to be a winning strategy."

"I agree. I am going to send young general GroundRunner to you. He knows the area very well, but I will warn you, he can be impulsive and brash. He was popped a barbarian, and was converted to our side at a young age. However, he has not quite taken to our ways."

"Very well. We set out in two turns, please have him here by then. Might I ask what you will be doing while we fight the war for you?"

"There is a mercenary band that attacked one of our representatives recently. The assassin was almost captured, but was croaked by another mercenary unit. I've traced his retreat back to a nearby island chain. I'm going to try to capture him and find out who sent these assassins. It is likely they will cause trouble for us."

"Good hunting, general."

"And you too, Overlord."

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby tigerusthegreat » Sun May 18, 2014 10:40 am

This had been what Tyrin had been wanting for a long time. Armies were being assembled, units pumped out of his six cities and gathered in Nevers. Four mighty ICEY 130s ferried troops and supplies into the city. Nevers itself had slowly become a fortress over the last five turns. Melony had built its walls strong, its towers tall, and its dungeons into a labyrinth. It was now a level four city, which without the dirtamancer, would have been prohibitively expensive to build up so quickly. He walked into the treasury, and saw a handful of Tuirrels at work. These creatures were native to this area, and were excellent at a variety of jobs, just not very good at combat. They walked either on two or four legs, depending on how fast they were running, and resembled little brown rodents. Still, they kept income high, expenses down, and farm production to a maximum. He was having them slowly distributed throughout his kingdom.

The air warning horns sounded, but since it was still his turn, Tyrin knew it must be an ally. He stepped outside the treasury, and saw a sleek metal craft descend and land in the courtyard.

"General GroundRunner, what an unexpected surprise." Tyrin said sarcastically, approaching the newly arrived general. The thinkagram did not relay colors very well, but he had green eyes that glowed with an inner fire. Tyrin was unsure if they stood out so much because of his otherwise drag clothes, a brown cloak with a brown, black, and deep purple robe on beneath, or they really were that startling.

"I was ordered here by the council to provide you with support for your offensive, but was unable to get transport until now. I hope this hasn't delayed you too much." He said. A small metal golem rocketed out of the ship and landed near GroundRunner. "This is my companion, Dartoo." The golem whistled and twittered.

"I hope you can understand that, because I can't." Tyrin said. He motioned to the tower. "Let's look over the maps and plans we have and you can provide some insight."

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby tigerusthegreat » Sun May 18, 2014 5:06 pm

"Unfortunately, everything south of this line of hexes is largely unknown to us." General GroundRunner drew a line on the map with his finger. "The Republic once held sway over much of this area, but our maps and knowledge were lost thousands of turns ago. It was that terrible war that spawned the creation of the Jade Eye order. We once were mighty warriors, called the Syethe, who would slaughter and kill all who opposed us. However, this made it easy for the enemy in that war to turn our bloodlust against us. We were easily turned to their side, and fought against the Republic. Eventually the order was founded on tenets of peace and harmony. It saved us from utter destruction. We are a peaceful order now, dedicated to defense, but when enemies come to call, they are destroyed."

"It is a shame you don't have better records, it could help in this fight." Tyrin said. GroundRunner only could identify two cities that were not in the scouting his units had done. The General had been nearly useless, but he hoped he would be better in a real fight. "We are going to try another air assault, here, against the city of Barabon. Its tower is a level three, but we are hoping the ICEY 130s will take it out before too many spells can be launched off of it, if it is charged at all."

"I will stack with the ICEYs, maybe I can draw some of the fire with my Jade Eye Starfighter. With Dartoo's help, its defense bonus is very high."

--------

The last of the Tinuit were being loaded on the ICEYs. The force was significantly larger than last time, as each craft could carry ten units. With four of them in the attack, five stacks could be deployed. If the tower got destroyed or drained quickly, and they were able to get inside the enemy walls, it would be a mopup operation. He nodded to Jackson before boarding the lead ICEY. This tactic wouldn't continue to work, but having air superiority really helped things.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

PreviousNext

Return to Fiction, Poetry and Essays