Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 079

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 079

Postby ftl » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:37 pm

Wouldn't it make more sense that whatever saved Sylvia came from Jojo? And not from some other unmentioned source?
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Not Me » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:52 pm

ftl wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense that whatever saved Sylvia came from Jojo? And not from some other unmentioned source?

If it came from Jojo alone I would have expected him to do it right away instead of casting to rig the incapacitation rules for ten turns before Sylvia was popped up good as new.
I would guess those ten turns were spent by Jojo trying to find a way to get Sylvia back. And I would also guess that whatever was done to get Sylvia popped up good as new came either from an external source or from Jojo being aided by an external source.
But that is just me (or Not me :twisted: ) making assumptions.
Not Me

Postby Tonot » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:56 pm

Jabberwocky wrote:
Mikalyaran wrote:I would never ride one of those high horses. Those things are terrifying.

Yes, they are! They look so angry..

Agreed. Also, the calculation that ran through my head on seeing it was something like

Form defines Function = High horses are crap mounts.

But then what do I know about gaming. (hint, it is a very small amount, we can safely consider it nothing)
Tonot

Postby ThisIsNotDan » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:38 pm

When I read this I assumed that Charlie was going to enchant Wanda's heroine bud to have some sort of permanent effect. Jillian has been repeatedly noting that Wanda still wears the flower, even though it has no effect, and the flower also has a prominent spot on Wanda's livery. I don't see Wanda actually wearing the flower in a (very incomplete) search of the Book 1 and 2 archives, however, so maybe I'm wrong on this one.
ThisIsNotDan

Postby Free Radical » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:43 pm

The high horse had decided to be a bright yellow today

So, if it wants, it can be a horse of a different colour?
Free Radical

Postby badninja » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:51 pm

So what is Wanda's fate? It sounded like she has a bad one so what happened to it? If I can glean anything from what has transpired in previous comics you cannot doge fate, so this trickery means that sooner or later it will rear its ugly head and where will Wanda be? Parson relies to much on Wanda to be his major piece so loosing her is going to hurt and Charlie should know this by now. We kinda need a bone here of what is the general idea of Wanda's fate.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby SteveMB » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:08 pm

Jabberwocky wrote:If it isn't a cure, then it probably needs regular application, has some drawbacks or both. Perhaps the Wanda we know and love is still feeling the pain of withdrawal and a craving for more? Makes one wonder how she'd react to being offered a bud.

For that matter, Jillian might have some long-term aftereffects. Maybe the spell Wanda used on her in the Book 1 interrogation was a version of the heroine bud high, and that's why she reacted so badly (painful reminder, possibly reactivated cravings) after it ended?
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Mikalyaran » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:19 pm

Free Radical wrote:

You're terrible.
Mikalyaran
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Azukar » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:09 pm

I think Betsy was mounted on her own (invisible) High Horse today.
...Scratch that, *every* day.
---

-Az
Azukar

Postby Aquillion » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:21 pm

randint wrote:Hmm, I wonder if Charlie can cancel whatever is keeping Wanda alive, or whether it was a one time permanent effect. Or if anything else can dispell whatever that thing was. Either way, that's a crap way to live, if you ask me.

If he could, he would have done so long ago.
Aquillion

Postby John Thacker » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:52 pm

Mikalyaran wrote:
Free Radical wrote:

You're terrible.

You don't like the joke, you take it up with MGM, considering that it was in the 1939 Wizard of Oz movie.

So many Wizard of Oz movie references in this update.
John Thacker

Postby Corwyn_Ulhar » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:25 am

I just love the bit about how Betsy is so offended at the very idea that she, as a Healomancer, would ever consider not healing someone just because she didn't like them. It says a lot about how she sees the world that such a notion offends her more than the sum of all of the violence that Jillian's ever done.
Corwyn_Ulhar
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:16 am

badninja wrote:So what is Wanda's fate? It sounded like she has a bad one so what happened to it?

Wanda's Fate is tied up with the Arkentools. At the time she was dying, Fate still had plans for her.

This makes me wonder what Fate would have done if Charlie hadn't offered his medicine. Maybe thats why Charlie spilled those secrets(his own addiction, his cure, his supply of buds): His own version of Predictamancy could have told him that Fate would force the issue and that it'd be ugly.
Jabberwocky

Postby mortissimus » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:39 pm

Talisid wrote:We know for a fact that Silvia was similarly obsessed with her own fate and (hypothetically) was saved by the same spell.

We did not see Sylvia worry at all about her fate in book 1. Decryption changed her.
mortissimus

Postby wih » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:33 pm

mortissimus wrote:
Talisid wrote:We know for a fact that Silvia was similarly obsessed with her own fate and (hypothetically) was saved by the same spell.

We did not see Sylvia worry at all about her fate in book 1. Decryption changed her.

To be fair we see very little of Sylvia in book 1 in any way that is meaningful to the discussion. IIRC, she has one (maybe two) speaking lines in the whole book, and her place in the book ends with her picking up the pliers, looking weird, and then dying. She could very well have already been fatalistic (we don't hear her speak enough or get into her head to find out), or the change could be from the reaction to the Pliers, not decryption.
wih

Postby drachefly » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:30 pm

Corwyn_Ulhar wrote:I just love the bit about how Betsy is so offended at the very idea that she, as a Healomancer, would ever consider not healing someone just because she didn't like them. It says a lot about how she sees the world that such a notion offends her more than the sum of all of the violence that Jillian's ever done.

Yeah. Even when she's being right and good, it's all about her.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:32 pm

wih wrote:She could very well have already been fatalistic (we don't hear her speak enough or get into her head to find out), or the change could be from the reaction to the Pliers, not decryption.
On top of that, if she did change when she was decrypted we have no way of knowing how much of it was magically induced in her by the process of decryption and how much came merely from the realization that she had died and come back to life a second time. I'm tempted to think that her craziness wasn't magically induced since we've never seen any suggestion of the arkentools turning people crazy anywhere else.
Lilwik

Postby wih » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:14 pm

Lilwik wrote:
wih wrote:She could very well have already been fatalistic (we don't hear her speak enough or get into her head to find out), or the change could be from the reaction to the Pliers, not decryption.
On top of that, if she did change when she was decrypted we have no way of knowing how much of it was magically induced in her by the process of decryption and how much came merely from the realization that she had died and come back to life a second time. I'm tempted to think that her craziness wasn't magically induced since we've never seen any suggestion of the arkentools turning people crazy anywhere else.

Unless you consider Charlie crazy, and his change a symptom of gaining the Arkendish. But that's not something we have hard evidence for, only suspicion for some right now.
wih

Postby mortissimus » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:24 am

wih wrote:
mortissimus wrote:

To be fair we see very little of Sylvia in book 1 in any way that is meaningful to the discussion.

Being a warlord we see her argue tactics, in particular outside GK.

On assaulting the walls guarded by the uncroaked former Jetstone troops:
http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F117.jpg
What?

We can't get through the walls with all those troops deployed there!

On Ansom soloing the uncroaked:
http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F118.jpg
He's mad.

We'll see his body fall at any moment.

It is hardly the fatalistic charge-in-and-burn-everything Syliva of book 2.

I'll admit that wheter decryption, the pliers, or something in the battle changed her is unknown. But since she was not fatalistic in book 1, we can know that it was not Jojo's spell that did it.
mortissimus

Postby wih » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:13 am

I don't particularly feel that three speaking parts of one line a piece (she also spoke in 101) give us enough to confirm what you're saying. It might be entirely likely (if anything, I'd put the quatloos on your side), but I don't see enough evidence to confirm it.
wih

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions