When will the comic continue?

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

When will the comic continue?

Postby Skyrar » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:48 am

Hi, I just wanted to know if there is anything official on when/if Erfworld will be pure comic again. There was an artist hired an kickstarter-trained recently, right? Soooo, any hints when this will return to Full Webcomic?
True Neutral Human Barbarian/Bard (2nd/1st Level)
Ability Scores:
Strength- 12
Dexterity- 11
Constitution- 10
Intelligence- 15
Wisdom- 14
Charisma- 13
Skyrar

Re: When will the comic continue?

Postby 0beron » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:39 pm

The Epilogue is the comic essentially right now. Yes it's a training period for the new artist, and also a chance for Rob to try out this new format he wanted to experiment with briefly, but just like in the Summer Updates between Books 1 & 2, there is information Rob needs to share and events that transpire in the interim. So the typical comic panel style updates will resume with Book 3 whenever the Epilogue is complete.
Rob gave a ballpark of how many episodes would be in the Epilogue somewhere, but I don't recall it. I feel like we're about halfway through now.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby ftl » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:16 pm

I think the number was 25 maybe? We're a bit over two-thirds of the way through them then, and at the current rate we should expect about 3-4 more weeks of epilogue updates? If I'm remembering right.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Whispri » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:52 pm

After the next kickstarter, presuming it succeeds. The last one was just for the Erfabet book and the epilogues.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:07 pm

Whispri wrote:After the next kickstarter, presuming it succeeds. The last one was just for the Erfabet book and the epilogues.
No definitely not, David is hired in full.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Whispri » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:11 am

0beron wrote:
Whispri wrote:After the next kickstarter, presuming it succeeds. The last one was just for the Erfabet book and the epilogues.

Not according to the kickstarter page.
Whispri

Postby wih » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:35 pm

Whispri wrote:
0beron wrote:

Not according to the kickstarter page.

Also (though I'm not aware of the full significance) the copyright says:

Images by David Hahn are works for hire, owned by Robert T. Balder © Copyright 2013.

..whereas Xin's stuff is:

Images made by Xin Ye are © Copyright 2009 by Xin Ye and Robert T. Balder, with smaller images licensed under CC 3.0 NC-SA license.
wih

Postby 0beron » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:11 am

In think you guys are misinterpreting. The Kickstarter says "Erfworld needs a new artist, and we're making an "Erfabet" book to teach him to draw Erfy things."
That pretty clearly implies David is the book 3 artist, and there is no issue of funding for that aspect.
The purpose of the Kickstarter was to pay David's time spent making the books, because that wouldn't produce immediate income. The comic website draws ad revenue, which is how Rob does this for a living, and how he presumably had been paying Xin. That's a continuous stream, so he doesn't need an up-front fund to pay David in advance for the comic itself.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Althernai » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:59 am

The Erfabet updates have said pretty clearly that Book 3 will have its own Kickstarter.

Here's one such update:
The Erfabet book was supposed to be the smaller of two Kickstarters this year. The larger one, with a $45,000 goal, is planned for August. The purpose of that one will be to fund David to draw all of Book 3. His original inks for that book will be offered as the primary donor rewards.

So one logical thing to do at this point would be to combine the two projects and make a push right now to fund Book 3. But I really prefer to wait until the epilogues start posting. I don't think it's right to ask the fans to fund David until you've had a chance to see more of his work.

and here's another:
The Next Project - Book 3

We're not going to launch the Book 3 Kickstarter until we're well into the epilogues, maybe even finished with them. We have more work to do on developing and refining our process, and the real test will come when David and I are working together to tell the story. I want to see how that goes before deciding how to proceed with the next book, and the 25 updates/50 illustrations of the epilogues will be the perfect test.

Based on this, I'm assuming that we'll have the second Kickstarter sometime in November and Book 3 will resume the fully comic format thereafter.
Althernai
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:02 pm

Aaaah, thanks for clarifying. That's very...interesting.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Skyrar » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:10 am

OK, so another Kickstarter and if that succeeds, full comic again. Thanks for the info!
True Neutral Human Barbarian/Bard (2nd/1st Level)
Ability Scores:
Strength- 12
Dexterity- 11
Constitution- 10
Intelligence- 15
Wisdom- 14
Charisma- 13
Skyrar

Return to Everything Else Erfworld