Craftworld (Rules Test)

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Craftworld (Rules Test)

Postby tigerusthegreat » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:16 pm

I'm in the process of building out the rules of a crafting system, and I'd like people willing to test these things as they progress.

Premise: You have been teleported to a world that is completely wild. No civilization, no buildings, nothing. You only have the clothes on your back. Due to the magical nature of the world, you do not need to eat or sleep, but you are also constrained by some force that limits how much you can do in a day.

Stats: At character creation, these start at 1 and you can distribute 3 points among them.
Health: (each point gives you 10 effective hit points)
Attack: (each point allows you to attack another player once)
Energy: (each point allows you to perform one action per day)

Additionally, each player has skills. At the start of the game, these are all at lvl 1. These skills level up over time through use. I will not list skills here, as they do not impact character creation. The general idea is if you want to get better at mining, then mine. If you want to get better at combat, fight things.

The key part of this game is crafting. Crafting can mean making anything in the game from food to a house to a sword. To craft, you take some materials, put them into a blueprint (or just combine them to discover a blueprint) and I make a roll, and you get a finished item. The materials used directly impact the item made.

I did say you don't need to eat or sleep, but you can only regain lost HP through food and magical items (which will be rare and hard to make at least in the beginning). A house or shelter isn't needed either, but if you want to secure your stuff, then you will need a place to store them. Reaching 0 hp means your character dies and you have to start over.

A thorough tutorial on the crafting process will be made available once gameplay starts. Is anyone interested in this? Word of warning, this is very much a PVP allowed game.

Resource Tutorial
As I mentioned, all materials in the world will be created by the players (or eventually by the player's workers). If you decide to chop down a tree, you get some wood and other materials. If you mine for ore, you might get copper or iron nuggets, or maybe even gemstones. If you kill an animal, you get meat, bones and skin, which can make leather. Pretty basic, right?

Well, each item has stats, which are used in crafting. For example, copper ore might have a +2 attack, +2 defense, +5 weight stats. This means that each unit of copper ore provides items with these stats. High Quality copper might have different stats, but is rarer and harder to obtain (requiring higher skills, luck, or finding a special resource node). Because crafting useful items will require tweaking of these stats, you will need to find the right materials to use to get the desired effect.

Crafting Tutorial
There are two kinds of crafting: statless crafting and regular crafting. Statless crafting means the stats of the resources don't impact the final product. For example, building a shelter is a statless crafting. As long as you have appropriate building materials, your house will serve its function equally well (thoguh there's something to be said about owning a solid gold house). Statless crafting usually does not require knowing a blueprint, but advanced items might (e.g. everyone knows how a house should look, but not everyone knows how a waterwheel is put together)

Regular crafting:
When you craft an item, you need a blueprint (see below). This blueprint will say something like: One Handed Sword: Core: 6 wood, metal, or stone; edge: 4 stone or metal; stats: weight, attack, critical hit. This means that you need 10 materials altogether, 6 can be wood, metal, or stone, and 4 can be stone or metal (can be a mix of those qualifying items). Then, the recipe only cares about the weight, attack, and critical hit stats of those items (those stats get passed on to the finished product). You craft the item, a skill check is rolled, and you get a final product with some stats, based on the materials used. Your blueprint gains xp, as do some of your skills. Note that even if you used the copper mentioned above, your sword will not add any defense, because that stat isn't relevant to the blueprint.

Blueprints
Blueprints are obtained in a couple ways. 1. You start with one randomly at the start of the game, 2. You learn them from other players, requiring one action, or 3. you spent materials to invent a blueprint, which might give you a new blueprint. You cannot make statted items without a relevant blueprint. As you craft with a blueprint, your skill with that particular blueprint levels up (referred to as blueprint level). The higher your blueprint level, the more discretionary points you get to assign to that item when you craft it. THis can help make your items more powerful than normally possible.

You always learn a blueprint at level 1. Two players working together can spent an action each to give one player some xp towards a blueprint level, provided the other player has a higher level for that blueprint.

Interested Parties:
0beron
BrimStone
HerbieRai
Lord of Monies
GWvsJohn
Last edited by tigerusthegreat on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Prehendo Victoria - My first erfworld story. Comment thread

Last Updated 6/25/2014

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 6/24/2014 (First Page)
Party Raid, a TCG Development Journal Updated 6/24/14
tigerusthegreat

Re: Craftworld (Rules Test)

Postby 0beron » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:58 am

Hmmm I'm vaguely interested. We'll see how many people get involved, and if it's too many ill back out.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby BrimStone » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:46 am

Sounds interesting to me
BrimStone

Postby tigerusthegreat » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:44 pm

I'm running a copy of this game on giantitp forums, where it has been referred to as "RPG Minecraft"

I think I can safely accommodate 8 players, but will start when we have 4. The more the better the test, but let's start slow.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby HerbieRai » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:45 pm

I may be interested. Would we eventually be able to get followers, or would we be alone/ with other players only the entire game?
HerbieRai

Postby tigerusthegreat » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:29 pm

HerbieRai wrote:I may be interested. Would we eventually be able to get followers, or would we be alone/ with other players only the entire game?

I'm working up rules for "workers" which are NPC employees that can do much of the same tasks you can. You can send them off on missions (the original idea behind it was the Duty Officer system of star trek online). I might be tweaking that for this game. Haven't decided quite yet.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby HerbieRai » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:58 pm

I'll join in a test game, I'll start with one point in each stat. If your just going to run this on one forum, I'm also on Giantitp as HerbieRai
HerbieRai

Postby tigerusthegreat » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:30 pm

HerbieRai wrote:I'll join in a test game, I'll start with one point in each stat. If your just going to run this on one forum, I'm also on Giantitp as HerbieRai

Depending on how many people I get, I intend on running one game on each forum.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby tigerusthegreat » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:49 pm

added additional info for the crafting process to the first post.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby Lord of Monies » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:59 pm

This has got my interest. I'm gonna be brave and put all 3 points into energy.
With the dawning of each new day, my evil machinations inch me closer to world domination. And also breakfast.
Lord of Monies

Postby 0beron » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:05 pm

Awwww you took my strategy! I guess I will go with 2 points Energy, 1 point Hits.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby BrimStone » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:15 pm

Well there goes my strategy too Oberon.... :)
BrimStone

Postby Lord of Monies » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:44 pm

Well, if you wanted to know my full strategy, I was gonna find someone with attack to defend me while I got work done for the both of us. So if either of you wants to be my bodyguard...
With the dawning of each new day, my evil machinations inch me closer to world domination. And also breakfast.
Lord of Monies

Postby tigerusthegreat » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:48 pm

4 is enough to start, but I will wait another 48 hours to see if anyone else is interested. Like I said, I will take up to eight.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby BrimStone » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:00 pm

I will put 1 in Health and 2 in Energy to start.
BrimStone

Postby GWvsJohn » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:39 am

Last edited by GWvsJohn on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
GWvsJohn

Postby tigerusthegreat » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:32 pm

I would also like a brief description of your character. You can have whatever clothes you'd like, but the caveat is that those clothes cannot be used as crafting materials.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby 0beron » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:49 pm

Name: Titus
Stats: 20 Health, 1 Attack, 3 Energy
Features: Standing slightly above average in height, and quite lithe in form, noteworthy for his pure white hair and piercing violet eyes. His face did not appear aged, so the lack of color in his hair was a mystery. Speaking of which, his face was sharp and angular, with small and similarly angular ears poking through the unkempt hair. His fingers were long and slender, and moved quickly in fine detail.
Clothing: He was clad simply, but as one might dress for a long journey by foot. Sturdy brown pants made of a material like denim that fit comfortably, and a loose cream colored shirt of breathable cotton. Over this a brown leather vest with several pockets, and a long green cloak with volumous hood. For accessories he work a belt with a pouch on the right hip, high brown leather boots, and a shoulder satchel. The only exception to his plain but servicable attire was a small silver ring set with a green stone.
Last edited by 0beron on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby BrimStone » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:10 pm

Name: Rogarth
Stats: 20 Health, 1 Attack, 3 Energy
Appearance: Rogarth is a muscular man of medium height. His hair is salt and pepper colored and has a beard that is the same. His face is aged and worn, but grown tough, not softer with age. He wears very earth toned colored clothing that is more functional than pretty. Brown full length trousers, a fitted shirt of an olive green, sturdy knee high boots, brown gloves, a wide brimmed brown hat, and a set of tinted glasses.
BrimStone

Postby HerbieRai » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:47 pm

Name: Haggon
Stats: 20 health, 2 attack, 2 energy

Haggon was one of royalty where he came from, and desires the finer things. He is wearing a purple cloak with golden embroidered edges, a red shirt with a golden tree on the chest, some fine leather gloves, and small polished black boots. While he appears a bit young, he has some former sword training.
HerbieRai

Next

Return to Your Games