Page by page discussion of the comic.

Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 080

Postby balder » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:04 pm

New One is up.
balder

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 080

Postby CharlsNChrg » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:15 pm

Yeah, like I'm going to do that.

One does not alter the terms of an agreement with Charlescomm. Charlescomm alters the terms of its agreement with you.
Last edited by CharlsNChrg on Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CharlsNChrg

Postby No one in particular » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:16 pm

Awww..! Poor high horse is cold without his blanket! D:

Also: Ding! Jillian Leveled up! Jillian gained another rank in Negotiation: Contracts! :D
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby ftl » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:14 am

I doubt charlie would agree to give up his supply of buds.

But he could agree never to use them as a weapon against Wanda or Jillian - add in a clause saying that he will never give a bud to either one of them, in exchange for anything. Could work.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Aquillion » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:14 am

CharlsNChrg wrote:Yeah, like I'm going to do that.

One does not alter the terms of an agreement with Charlescomm. Charlescomm alters the terms of its agreement with you.
Jillian can just claim that as long as the buds exist, Wanda isn't genuinely cured, because she could be subject to them again at any moment.
Aquillion

Postby 0beron » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:16 am

Whatever Jillian is gonna try, I suspect it's gonna fail. We see Wanda with a flower in her hair during her days with FAQ, so I'm guessing she relapses in some fashon or another.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Shai_hulud » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:39 am

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."
Yeah... Jillian's heir is totes going to be Luke Skywalker, like the old girl version or something, huh?

Also... Tina's box was made of crystal? So would you say it was manufactured with a Crystal Method?
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Tarvok » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:25 am

So she called down the Archons,
to teach them how to be Sensible, logical, responsible, practical...
Last edited by Tarvok on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tarvok
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Arky » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:49 am

Great plan there. I'm not sure why you think Charlie would choose losing The Secret Garden over the obvious back-up plan: Kill Jill and A Dead Fish Called Wanda. By now he's had enough time to get enough Archons in position to bury his mistakes, even if he previously wasn't sure he had enough firepower to make sure of the job.
Arky

Postby No one in particular » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:22 am

Arky wrote:Great plan there. I'm not sure why you think Charlie would choose losing The Secret Garden over the obvious back-up plan: Kill Jill and A Dead Fish Called Wanda. By now he's had enough time to get enough Archons in position to bury his mistakes, even if he previously wasn't sure he had enough firepower to make sure of the job.
Couple of things, really.

Number one with a bullet: Fate.
  • Jillian's got the Fate of becoming Queen of Faq someday
  • Wanda also still has Fate draped over her shoulders
With unmatched Thinkamancy, unmatched paranoia and casters TOTALLY willing to just chat with each other about super-secret stuff, Charlie could easily know about their Fates. And if we've seen anything from trying to dodge Predictamancy, it's that Fate only shrugs and pulls out a worse thing to take its place.

Number two, but it tries harder: Certainty
Getting everyone from Faq to agree to a binding, inescapable magical contract means that no one can talk about his secrets. As pointed out in the Evil Overlord list, trying to kill everyone ensures that there's ALWAYS a survivor, now with a really good reason for revenge.

Bonus: the Deal of a Lifetime works both ways. Faq says nothing about what they know about Charlie. Charlie doesn't hurt Faq. Those who've already signed off can't talk about it; therefore it's likely that Charlie can't make any agressive moves against Faq just yet. Notice that it's the High Elves who are being used to put pressure on Faq to move out, not fleets of Archons. It's possible that if Charlie tried to kill either of them, it would void the contract and let Faq spill all his secrets. His precious, precious secrets...

Really, if Charlie wanted to kill them, he might renegotiate with Banhammer for a "Just Disband those Two" proviso.
---
No one in particular

Postby MonteCristo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:27 am

Arky wrote:Great plan there. I'm not sure why you think Charlie would choose losing The Secret Garden over the obvious back-up plan: Kill Jill and A Dead Fish Called Wanda. By now he's had enough time to get enough Archons in position to bury his mistakes, even if he previously wasn't sure he had enough firepower to make sure of the job.

not necessarily... Charlie's deal requires that he not mess with Faq and that all the faq members sign the deal... depending on how the contract works, that mental block on the faq court may disappear should the deal fall apart or if Charlie violates the deal (its kind of hard to tell since at this point the deal is incomplete). Heck Jillian MIGHT be considered fair game since she has not signed the deal, but Wanda has signed the deal and thus is supposed to be protected from charlie. Conversely, attacking Jillian even though she has yet to sign the deal might still cancel the entire deal. If that's the case then that means that if Jillian does not sign and complete the deal, or If Charlie attacks her then the mental block may be removed on the rest of the court and he would have to croak all of them to secure his secrets. And they are in their capital meaning its very possible for the casters to escape into the magic kingdom along with his secrets.

With unmatched Thinkamancy, unmatched paranoia and casters TOTALLY willing to just chat with each other about super-secret stuff, Charlie could easily know about their Fates. And if we've seen anything from trying to dodge Predictamancy, it's that Fate only shrugs and pulls out a worse thing to take its place.

Eh not so sure about that... remember Faq is both a super secret kingdom and does not have a thinkamancer... They are not exactly gonna be blabing anything about their side to those in the magic kingdom, and without a thinkamancer, Charlie has no one to hack into.
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby derfy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:01 am

Tarvok wrote:So she called down the Archons,
to teach them how to be Sensible, logical, responsible, practical...

Love it.
derfy
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby StClair » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:51 am

Whether Charles goes for it or not, I wanted to say, this is one of the few times I've admired Jillian (a character I often find too flawed, etc). That was an inspired way to cut the knot, as it were.
StClair

Postby vintermann » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:21 am

Sigh, Jillian must learn one of the first rules of peaceful negotiation: Make your demands, and stick to them. Don't extend them once you get what you asked for. Diplomatically, this is a blunder.

But I don't think it will matter. I think Charlie will have already have destroyed his garden.

Think about it. We know that the buds are ultimately lethal. We can assume Charlie cured himself the same way he cured Wanda. Wanda still would take the buds if offered. Likely, Charlie would too.

Think about what it must have cost for Charlie to maintain that garden, but not succumb to the temptation. He probably has to think of them as an enemy, just like Jillian.

I think Charlie is basically a good guy, at least in this conflict (and maybe in the current events one too!). He kept the garden as a strategic defense. If Olive started addicting leaders of other sides during negotiations, Charlie could go in and stop it by offering his own supply. He might even let others start their own gardens.

The reason Charlie kept his own garden isn't because he wants to use it - he knows how utterly evil it is - but because he didn't want Olive to be the only one in Erfworld with this power. It was a strategic weapon. Now that Olive's gone, he can get rid of them for good.

I think Olive was telling the truth when she said Charlie once shared the desire for peace on Erf, but now it's the last thing he wants. I think Charlie came to the conclusion that the only way to peace on Erf would be uniting it in profound slavery and ultimately death. This would certainly be true of Olive's plan for it. Basically, he's decided perpetual cold war is better than nuclear armageddon. He's decided to try to stop any side from getting too large - an objective he can covertly pursue with his mercenary activities, and which he obviously does in the present.
vintermann
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby raphfrk » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:48 am

CharlsNChrg wrote:One does not alter the terms of an agreement with Charlescomm. Charlescomm alters the terms of its agreement with you.

... or, you have to make extra concessions if you want him to amend the deal. Maybe Charlie says "fine so, but you need to agree to a memory wipe".
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Onlyusingitonce » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:47 am

This message is just fyi: I've decided I can't live with 'the new format'. I've enjoyed this comic a lot, however I already have all the reading material I am interested in. A web comic that doesn't show comics isn't. Good luck in the future.
Onlyusingitonce

Postby drachefly » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:55 am

raphfrk wrote:
CharlsNChrg wrote:One does not alter the terms of an agreement with Charlescomm. Charlescomm alters the terms of its agreement with you.

... or, you have to make extra concessions if you want him to amend the deal. Maybe Charlie says "fine so, but you need to agree to a memory wipe".

Quite. She can't just demand more.

Onlyusingitonce wrote:This message is just fyi...

A couple paragraphs shouldn't be that scary. But hey, you can be you.
drachefly

Postby Ninjaguineapig » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:04 am

Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 080 wrote:“My head hurts,” she said. “Constantly. But I believe I am going to live.”

Ninjaguineapig

Postby No one in particular » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:11 am

vintermann wrote:Sigh, Jillian must learn one of the first rules of peaceful negotiation: Make your demands, and stick to them. Don't extend them once you get what you asked for. Diplomatically, this is a blunder.
raphfrk wrote:... or, you have to make extra concessions if you want him to amend the deal. Maybe Charlie says "fine so, but you need to agree to a memory wipe".
drachefly wrote:Quite. She can't just demand more.
Maybe if the intent was to meet in the middle somewhere, with a happy compromise. First thing you have to consider is that Jillian isn't approaching this as a "We can all be happy with the outcome of this" diplomatic encounter. Jillian is approaching this as the only way she knows how: "You and me are going to fight, and I don't wanna see you standing at the end"

This is a FIGHT to Jillian, and what she knows about fights is that if you have an advantage, you press it. Charlie had the initial advantage, but Jillian saw something in his position she could exploit, and now she's getting more than "Don't kill us and don't tell anyone you saw us" out of it.

This is hard negotiation, with the lives of everyone in Faq on the line. As long as Charlie is willing to talk, I think it's the right move to make. Faq had a commodity Charlie's willing to do a lot for, and Banhammer didn't ask full price for it.

(Man walks into a store, sees a violin worth $1000 on the shelf. Owner of the shop offers it for $50. Now the daughter of the owner is haggling it up to about $100)
---
No one in particular

Postby drachefly » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:46 am

The problem is, she'd already made a deal and Charlie had delivered.
drachefly

Next

Return to Reactions