Epilogue 20 – Jillian and Ansom

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Epilogue 20 – Jillian and Ansom

Postby Aquillion » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:08 pm

I think that it's obvious that Spacerock and Don cannot afford to break off their alliance with Jillian right now. They might not like it, but she's nearly the only friend they have left, even if she's unreliable.

(Charlie might be able to, but Charlie is pragmatic enough that he'll continue to use her if he believes he can and feels there's an advantage to doing so.)

Of course, the Don might not behave rationally right now, and one attribute of a stereotypical mafioso is not forgiving things like that. But their situation is bad enough that I just can't see how they can afford to burn an ally over something like this.

And Spacerock definitely won't. Even without the relatively pragmatic Tram in charge, they were perfectly willing to maintain alliances with people who were openly willing to betray them in the past.
Aquillion
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 4:45 am

Re: Epilogue 20 – Jillian and Ansom

Postby MonteCristo » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:42 pm

multilis wrote:"Unlike Tram, he has NOT been acting all that rational... "

In my opinion, insufficient information to tell if rational, and what is good plan for his side.

TV has lots of flying units and warlords and can easier drain prisoners, etc to reduce upkeep. Do those advantages come at a price, eg less hitpoints or less loyalty? The flying part at least is *huge* edge over a normal side. Perhaps they have some disadvantage in cost effective regular army, etc.

Don not getting involved has risk of GK "going for power", taking out everyone else... don't help your allies as they die and you die next especially after that attempt to kill Stanley in book 1.

Don playing royal might be politics to fit in with the royals.


Ya Don did need to keep involved in the fight agianst GK, but his way of doing it has been very poor and very detrimental for his side.

GK hasn't been doing anything to TV directly, but Don King's investments in Faq and change in policies have been tearing his side apart. I mean take for instance the fact that he's popping a new heir and has all but disbanded Ceasar. Ceasar has been loyal, he used to have a strong relationship with the Don and he had the respect of the other warlord's; he does not deserve the treatment that the Don has given him, and that treatment is costing Don the loyalty of the rest of his commanders. Furthermore, the resources being used to pop a new heir, when the Don already has one, could have gone to popping more troops to maintain the side's military strength... TV used to be a dominate side in the region, but now it has lost a great deal to their neighbors and has been greatly weakened. These changes in Don's policies started with GK, but went into full swing after the fall of Bea.

After GK fell, Don started propping up Faq... this alone could have been seen as a strategic decision; While TV could have made use of cities for themselves, having a warrior ruler on the frontlines could be huge asset in combat. But it was after Bea fell that he started popping a new heir for himself and started sending Ceasar on increasingly risky missions... That certainly didn't have any strong rational too it. This is royalty and emotions talking

Its clear that supporting Faq has drained and weakened the side; at the very least, if he was thinking more rationally he might have better monitored and planned for how much he was giving them if he decided to prop them up at all. However, his treatment of Ceasar and popping a new heir has only made things worse and are not helpful; he's loosing resources by spending time on a heir when he already has one (and his side is already scarce on resources as it is), he's loosing warlords and of those that remain he is loosing their loyalty. And for what? the royal mandate.
User avatar
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:48 pm

Re: Epilogue 20 – Jillian and Ansom

Postby Whispri » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:46 pm

Why did Ansom die? He died because Gillian turned on Wanda during TBfGK. If she hadn't attacked the Dwagons, he and Vinnie would have broken through to the column, Parson would have wiped out the rest of the siege and then the RCC would have withdrawn. Or have marched on without siege, been defeated in the tunnels and then withdrawn.

Re: Gillian and her allies: If the new King of Jetstone doesn't blame her for the death of his father the old King? He can't afford to bankroll her, couldn't help her if she was attacked and has other allies to call upon for support. Don? Those whom the Titans wish to destroy they first make mad. He won't be King much longer. Caesar might lead the Side into alliance with Gobwin Knob once he's crossed the Rubicon. Charlie? He could keep supporting her, but why would he? She's proven herself to be reliably unreliable, involving her in his plans invites defeat.

Without her help, some of them may live.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 657
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:02 pm

Re: Epilogue 20 – Jillian and Ansom

Postby Lilwik » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:06 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:Is this the first time we've seen an oil lamp? Light up until now has been from wood fires, illusions, and powerballs. What kind of oil is it? Where do you get more from? Also it doesn't seem to use magic to control it, since she had to turn the knob. Unless she used natural Turnamancy.
I'm not aware of ever seeing an oil lamp anywhere else. I think these things probably just pop from Natural Moneymancy, just like a city can pop on a city site if given enough shmuckers. Somehow Jetstone seems to have plenty of tents when they made camp for the night, so I suspect those pop from shmuckers too.

Erfworld likes to gloss over the trivial details that enable wars to be fought, so farms produce food without requiring any farmers. When something is unimportant it just happens. That leaves us to guess what is important and what isn't. I expect tents aren't important so I guess they just pop. On the other hand we know that clothing is important and needs to be created by an actual person, such as a Dollamancer, but on the other hand washing clothing isn't important so it just happens. Maybe the oil in the lamp never runs out because it is filled magically and using it to light the room is slowly costing Faq shmuckers, or perhaps oil is something that they need to get from the Magic Kingdom. I can't think of any particular discipline of magic that I would assign the task of creating oil.
Lilwik
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Epilogue 20 – Jillian and Ansom

Postby multilis » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:28 pm

MonteCristo wrote:
multilis wrote:"Unlike Tram, he has NOT been acting all that rational... "

In my opinion, insufficient information to tell if rational, and what is good plan for his side.

TV has lots of flying units and warlords and can easier drain prisoners, etc to reduce upkeep. Do those advantages come at a price, eg less hitpoints or less loyalty? The flying part at least is *huge* edge over a normal side. Perhaps they have some disadvantage in cost effective regular army, etc.

Don not getting involved has risk of GK "going for power", taking out everyone else... don't help your allies as they die and you die next especially after that attempt to kill Stanley in book 1.

Don playing royal might be politics to fit in with the royals.


Ya Don did need to keep involved in the fight agianst GK, but his way of doing it has been very poor and very detrimental for his side.

GK hasn't been doing anything to TV directly, but Don King's investments in Faq and change in policies have been tearing his side apart. I mean take for instance the fact that he's popping a new heir and has all but disbanded Ceasar. Ceasar has been loyal, he used to have a strong relationship with the Don and he had the respect of the other warlord's; he does not deserve the treatment that the Don has given him, and that treatment is costing Don the loyalty of the rest of his commanders. Furthermore, the resources being used to pop a new heir, when the Don already has one, could have gone to popping more troops to maintain the side's military strength... TV used to be a dominate side in the region, but now it has lost a great deal to their neighbors and has been greatly weakened. These changes in Don's policies started with GK, but went into full swing after the fall of Bea.

After GK fell, Don started propping up Faq... this alone could have been seen as a strategic decision; While TV could have made use of cities for themselves, having a warrior ruler on the frontlines could be huge asset in combat. But it was after Bea fell that he started popping a new heir for himself and started sending Ceasar on increasingly risky missions... That certainly didn't have any strong rational too it. This is royalty and emotions talking

Its clear that supporting Faq has drained and weakened the side; at the very least, if he was thinking more rationally he might have better monitored and planned for how much he was giving them if he decided to prop them up at all. However, his treatment of Caesar and popping a new heir has only made things worse and are not helpful; he's loosing resources by spending time on a heir when he already has one (and his side is already scarce on resources as it is), he's loosing warlords and of those that remain he is loosing their loyalty. And for what? the royal mandate.

It is unclear how bad he has treated Caesar... for example on mission where Caesar almost died... was Don at fault?

TV dominating... is fighting a multi-front war... it was unexpected that Goblin Keep is massive threat rather than dead at end of book 1. To ignore goblin keep (spend only a little) risked them going for power/becoming unstoppable. To focus on goblin keep meant his war on other fronts may go badly unless he can solve with diplomacy, and unclear whether possible to solve through diplomacy. Joy of a many front war is they can go badly really quick, no matter how well you play... even a two front war is a challenge. We don't know enough about game mechanics to judge how well TV would do with shmuckers spent on them rather than Jillian in fighting goblin Keep, etc.

Heir... may have been part of royal politics, with Caesar as heir, side may have not been that "royal" to others, as soon as Don died, Caesar would be "overlord". Royal politics may help secure borders, etc. New royal heir may give some advantages, eg ability for Don to risk himself in wars, his bonus may help bats, etc. The "chief warlord" part is unclear... Caesar was highest ranking warlord so might be left as chief.

...

In board game risk and many other strategic games, there comes a point where one side "goes for power", is risk of becoming unstoppable. Strategically complicated what to do if you are near that side. Only spend a little and they kill your neighbors and then you and then win game. Spend most of your army against superpower and you may stop them but your other borders suddenly become very weak.

Goblin Keep had strong appearance of "going for power" including game changing decryption. (Charliecom lacks appearance of going for power but from data given to Parson may be doing so by stealth... 600 is a lot of archons and a scorched earth style world war may already be winnable. Others don't unite against him if they don't see him as a threat, the stronger he grows the harder he will be to stop )
multilis
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:57 am

Re: Epilogue 20 – Jillian and Ansom

Postby Lipkin » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:12 am

Shai_hulud wrote:Jillian also doesn't know that Slatley is dead and that Thinkagrams are being massed jammed. So there might be a reason besides anger that she can't get hat messages and thinkagrams that she isn't aware of yet.


Last we saw, Jetstone's Hat Magician was strapped to a jetpack, flying to catch up to the column. Might have something to do with things.
User avatar
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 1046
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:36 am

Re: Epilogue 20 – Jillian and Ansom

Postby Tonot » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:37 am

Shai_hulud wrote:Especially one that has personal experience with Parson's strategic style, both in a real fight and in simulations. (Such as not trying to parley with him, because he's a Realpolitik munchkin ass hat.)

.

lol. Do I sense someone who has played a lot of Diplomacy and Risk here?. :lol:
Tonot
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:06 am

Re: Epilogue 20 – Jillian and Ansom

Postby ManaCaster » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:59 am

multilis wrote:It is unclear how bad he has treated Caesar... for example on mission where Caesar almost died... was Don at fault?

Not necessarily, but at a minimum, it looks pretty bad that he started popping his royal heir right after sending Caeser into a really difficult mission with very few resources. And certainly, he's provoked the fear among his commanders that he wants to disband Caesar.

multilis wrote:To ignore goblin keep (spend only a little) risked them going for power/becoming unstoppable. To focus on goblin keep meant his war on other fronts may go badly unless he can solve with diplomacy, and unclear whether possible to solve through diplomacy. Joy of a many front war is they can go badly really quick, no matter how well you play... even a two front war is a challenge. We don't know enough about game mechanics to judge how well TV would do with shmuckers spent on them rather than Jillian in fighting goblin Keep, etc.

That is certainly a valid concern, and fighting Gobwin Knob via proxy like Charlie is doing is certainly a good way to avoid direct damage. But why pick Jillian? Even before now, there were plenty of reasons to doubt her reliability.

Plus, it doesn't seem like he got good value for his expense in schmuckers. The force she brought to Spacerock wouldn't have really added much in the fight against Gobwin Knob. It was basically Charlie's work with Vanna that allowed her to give Gobwin Knob a black eye. That could have been done a whole lot more cheaply. Her forces could have been useful after the turn spell, but once again, she has proven unreliable.

By overtaxing their resources, Transylvito may well fall for reasons unrelated to Gobwin Knob.

multilis wrote:Heir... may have been part of royal politics, with Caesar as heir, side may have not been that "royal" to others, as soon as Don died, Caesar would be "overlord". Royal politics may help secure borders, etc.

Slately might not approve of a non-Royal heir, but as long as King Don is alive, he isn't going to drop his alliance. That is only a problem if King Don dies. Since King Don doesn't risk himself in battle, that seems unlikely.

multilis wrote:New royal heir may give some advantages, eg ability for Don to risk himself in wars, his bonus may help bats, etc. The "chief warlord" part is unclear... Caesar was highest ranking warlord so might be left as chief.

King Don doesn't seem like the warrior type. And without any levels, he can't take advantage of his Royally enhanced stats. He can't do anything Caesar can't do better.
ManaCaster
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:06 am

Re: Epilogue 20 – Jillian and Ansom

Postby Shai_hulud » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:13 am

Tonot wrote:lol. Do I sense someone who has played a lot of Diplomacy and Risk here?. :lol:
No, but the same principle applies to other strategy games. Few things as annoying as getting framed for terrorist attacks by probe teams using false flag operations in Alpha Centauri.

ManaCaster wrote:That is certainly a valid concern, and fighting Gobwin Knob via proxy like Charlie is doing is certainly a good way to avoid direct damage. But why pick Jillian? Even before now, there were plenty of reasons to doubt her reliability.

Plus, it doesn't seem like he got good value for his expense in schmuckers. The force she brought to Spacerock wouldn't have really added much in the fight against Gobwin Knob. It was basically Charlie's work with Vanna that allowed her to give Gobwin Knob a black eye. That could have been done a whole lot more cheaply. Her forces could have been useful after the turn spell, but once again, she has proven unreliable.

By overtaxing their resources, Transylvito may well fall for reasons unrelated to Gobwin Knob.
The impression I got was that UR, TV, and JS were all pretty friendly even before the RCC. My guess was that her being independent was because at the time they thought GK was crippled (didn't know about decryption yet) and thus were focused on long term plans. I figured they were using the crusade as an excuse to build some sort of house of lords, thus Charlie showing the UN logo to Trem.

ManaCaster wrote:Slately might not approve of a non-Royal heir, but as long as King Don is alive, he isn't going to drop his alliance. That is only a problem if King Don dies. Since King Don doesn't risk himself in battle, that seems unlikely.
If people only have heirs when they're planning on dying, then why are there any heirs at all?
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 698
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Epilogue 20 – Jillian and Ansom

Postby ManaCaster » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:04 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:
ManaCaster wrote:That is certainly a valid concern, and fighting Gobwin Knob via proxy like Charlie is doing is certainly a good way to avoid direct damage. But why pick Jillian? Even before now, there were plenty of reasons to doubt her reliability.

Plus, it doesn't seem like he got good value for his expense in schmuckers. The force she brought to Spacerock wouldn't have really added much in the fight against Gobwin Knob. It was basically Charlie's work with Vanna that allowed her to give Gobwin Knob a black eye. That could have been done a whole lot more cheaply. Her forces could have been useful after the turn spell, but once again, she has proven unreliable.

By overtaxing their resources, Transylvito may well fall for reasons unrelated to Gobwin Knob.
The impression I got was that UR, TV, and JS were all pretty friendly even before the RCC. My guess was that her being independent was because at the time they thought GK was crippled (didn't know about decryption yet) and thus were focused on long term plans. I figured they were using the crusade as an excuse to build some sort of house of lords, thus Charlie showing the UN logo to Trem.

If they are focusing on long-term plans, then why give Faq more resources than they can actually spare? They could have donated at a more manageable pace, or at least have given the resources in the form of a loan.

Shai_hulud wrote:
ManaCaster wrote:Slately might not approve of a non-Royal heir, but as long as King Don is alive, he isn't going to drop his alliance. That is only a problem if King Don dies. Since King Don doesn't risk himself in battle, that seems unlikely.
If people only have heirs when they're planning on dying, then why are there any heirs at all?

Most of Jetstone's heirs were created when the side was healthy and had resources to spare. And their would have been final heir was in the process of creation when the side was nearing destruction.

Transylvito doesn't have resources to spare, but they didn't seem to be getting close to falling either. From the looks of it, Don was discarding his existing heir, wasting resources just to support the Royal religion.
ManaCaster
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:06 am

Re: Epilogue 20 – Jillian and Ansom

Postby TheMutant » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:15 pm

I could see Don going either way as regards the Jillian issue- she did just horribly mess things up for no other reason than her personal desires, and now Jetstone is worse off than ever and Don just lost another friend. (Yeah, there shoulda been no way Jetstone could have lost the fight- but have they all forgotten the fate of the coalition back in Book 1 so soon? Rather think that that was supposed to be a guaranteed win against the Tool's forces too.) So he has every reason and more to recall Vinny and withdraw support from such an unpredictable ally as Jillian.

But he might also not; either because he judges the alliance necessary/beneficial still or perhaps even more pertinently- if he cuts Faq off, that'd be tantamount to admitting to his (already fractious warlords and Caesar) that he made a bad call throwing everything behind her in the first place. So that could go either direction- make things even worse by showing that he made such a poor decision, or soothe them by taking an action they see as better for their side.
Join the Erflings fanart gallery on DeviantArt!

Sixty wrote:Obviously the mystery caster has no particular feelings one way or the other about Parson, he simply heard "cue the Benny Hill music" and gave chase, compelled to do so by forces outside his control.
User avatar
TheMutant
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: Epilogue 20 – Jillian and Ansom

Postby MonteCristo » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:25 pm

Whispri wrote:Why did Ansom die? He died because Gillian turned on Wanda during TBfGK. If she hadn't attacked the Dwagons, he and Vinnie would have broken through to the column, Parson would have wiped out the rest of the siege and then the RCC would have withdrawn. Or have marched on without siege, been defeated in the tunnels and then withdrawn.


Wow... that is a HUGE stretch to blame Jillian for Ansom croaking. Heck you even ignore the fact that hunting down the dwagons was Ansom's idea. Honestly your bias against Jillian has really gone over the edge.

Re: Gillian and her allies: If the new King of Jetstone doesn't blame her for the death of his father the old King? He can't afford to bankroll her, couldn't help her if she was attacked and has other allies to call upon for support.


Actually he doesn't really... TV is on the breaking point and we haven't heard much from the other sides; Jetstone can't really rely on any side for support at this point. Neither Jetstone nor TV are in a position to bankroll jillian, but they are also not in any position to break ties with her either. They need every sword they can get.
User avatar
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:48 pm

Re: Epilogue 20 – Jillian and Ansom

Postby Glenn » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:39 pm

One important thing to keep in mind is that Charlie has not yet told Jillian that Gobwin Knob has a Perfect Warlord. She doesn't yet know anything about Parson. When Charlie called up Jillian and told her Spacerock was about to fall, he didn't say anything like "Their Chief Warlord is a genius who can find a way out of the seemingly airtight trap you left Wanda in!" If Charlie had shared the sort of information he gave to Tremanis with Jillian, then Jillian would have had a much greater incentive to stay in Spacerock. But he didn't share that critical information with Jillian, possibly because Jillian already knows more about Charlie than he's comfortable with thanks to the events in the prequel.

And the reason why Don has decided to pop a Royal Heir is not because he's being irrational, it's because Caesar has demonstrated that he is unqualified to Rule Transylvito. Don is right to regard Gobwin Knob as a colossal threat to every side on Erfworld, and the fact that Caesar can't see that shows that while Caesar may be a very good tactical leader, he lacks the strategic skills needed to Rule.
Glenn
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 3:04 am

Re: Epilogue 20 – Jillian and Ansom

Postby Lipkin » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:33 pm

Gobwin Knob is a threat to the current way of life of people on Erf. Before Parson, Stanley was just a guy who could tame Dwagons, who wasn't royal. Yeah, he was powerful, but he wasn't game breaking. If the royals hadn't viewed him as some uppity pikeman who was reaching beyond his station, some could have reached out and allied with him. Instead, they banded together and fought him back to his capitol. Had they not been so clingy to their royal way of thinking, Stanley wasn't really a threat to Erf as a whole. But then they put his back against the wall, and Parson happened. And then Decryption happened.

But even now, Gobwin Knob isn't a threat to all of Erf, just to those who try to throw down with them. It's probably too late for the royals, because they kicked Stanley while he was down, but non-royals who reach out for alliance are unlikely to be targeted. Diminishing returns is still an issue.

At the very worst, Gobwin Knob sets up a giant protection racket. They don't actually conquer sides, just threaten that if the sides don't pay their protection fees, Gobwin Knob take's their cities, decrypts the units, and then razes the place. But on the other hand, the protection is genuine. If another side tries to mess with a city under GK's protection, the hammer, and the pliers, comes down on them hard.
User avatar
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 1046
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:36 am

Re: Epilogue 20 – Jillian and Ansom

Postby MonteCristo » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:55 pm

Glenn wrote:One important thing to keep in mind is that Charlie has not yet told Jillian that Gobwin Knob has a Perfect Warlord. She doesn't yet know anything about Parson. When Charlie called up Jillian and told her Spacerock was about to fall, he didn't say anything like "Their Chief Warlord is a genius who can find a way out of the seemingly airtight trap you left Wanda in!" If Charlie had shared the sort of information he gave to Tremanis with Jillian, then Jillian would have had a much greater incentive to stay in Spacerock. But he didn't share that critical information with Jillian, possibly because Jillian already knows more about Charlie than he's comfortable with thanks to the events in the prequel.


If i had to guess, i might think that Charlie did not want to give Jillian more details because he didn't want to answer the uncomfortable question of how he got that information. Charlie could be tight lipped, but he would know that it might raise suspicions

And the reason why Don has decided to pop a Royal Heir is not because he's being irrational, it's because Caesar has demonstrated that he is unqualified to Rule Transylvito. Don is right to regard Gobwin Knob as a colossal threat to every side on Erfworld, and the fact that Caesar can't see that shows that while Caesar may be a very good tactical leader, he lacks the strategic skills needed to Rule.


No. First off, we know that Don and Ceasar used to have a very friendly relationship; we know that he had a terrible record when it came to the last two heirs he popped and previously saw nothing wrong with how Ceasar ran things as cheif warlord. Second, There is NOTHING to suggest that Cesar does not see GK as a threat. Not once has Ceasar ever objected to getting into a fight with GK. The only objections Ceasar has made is funding Jillian and funding jetstone when they were close to falling when their own side would be put at risk with such funding... His objections have been over Don's misuse of resources in the fight against GK, not the fight itself.

Fact is, TV used to be a dominate side in the region; they had no trouble dealing with their neighbors and easily pushed them around. Now they are barely holding on, and its not because of losses they took fighting GK, but because of the resources they have given up by trying to recreate Faq into a military power. That drain on their resources has given TV a serious Handicap, one that his enemies were quick to exploit. And that's all on Don. Don has essentially been leading the side to complete ruin. Ceasar would have continued the fight against Stanely but he would not have allowed TV to suffer the way it had. Most likely, he would have taken Faq's cities and used them to continue them to support TV and probably build up their own airforces; instead of using Jillian as a proxy, he probably would have just used TV's own forces to fight GK. Being able to manage all the forces would mean being able to make sure the side's defenses were not compromised... He would have kept up the fight without forgetting about his own sides needs; most likely being a better ruler than Don

Not to mention the fact that Don's personal experience with heir's has been poor. Unlike Ceasar he didn't get along with his daughter, and his son went so far as to make a play for the throne. Ceasar was someone he had a strong relationship AND someone who had the respect of the other commanders. Really, Don should know from experience that someone you know is better to lead, then to just pop someone new who could have any kind of personality and beliefs (both of which may run counter to what the ruler personally would like). Heck even he though Ceasar was no good, he could have looked over his other commanders to promote one of them instead of popping someone new. Only reason he has to pop someone new is to make sure his heir will be a royal.

In Bea's memory, Don is being motivated by the royal mandate.
User avatar
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:48 pm

Re: Epilogue 20 – Jillian and Ansom

Postby wih » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Glenn wrote:One important thing to keep in mind is that Charlie has not yet told Jillian that Gobwin Knob has a Perfect Warlord. She doesn't yet know anything about Parson. When Charlie called up Jillian and told her Spacerock was about to fall, he didn't say anything like "Their Chief Warlord is a genius who can find a way out of the seemingly airtight trap you left Wanda in!" If Charlie had shared the sort of information he gave to Tremanis with Jillian, then Jillian would have had a much greater incentive to stay in Spacerock. But he didn't share that critical information with Jillian, possibly because Jillian already knows more about Charlie than he's comfortable with thanks to the events in the prequel.


He didn't need to. Wanda told her after the torture session in Book 1.
wih
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:07 am

Re: Epilogue 20 – Jillian and Ansom

Postby Shai_hulud » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:16 pm

She told her she cast a crazy super spell, but did we ever see her say "ohhhhh by the waaaay. It was a super warlord spell. Gonna drop a flippin' house on Ansom straight out of Kansas. Just a heads up." Seems like she would have been concerned about something like that.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 698
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Epilogue 20 – Jillian and Ansom

Postby wih » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:16 am

We see very little detail of the conversation. What we do know Wanda knows for sure is that she cast a monstrous combination of items (which, assuming she has memories of the fall of Haffaton, she might correlate), and that Stanley made addition demands during it. And we know that they continued to..engage each other for a period of what was probably hours. I don't doubt more information was put out there. At the least, Jillian should know that Wanda cast a lookamancy/findamancy spell, and they got a new Chief Warlord immediately after. You don't need much to draw the dots together there. With her background from Haffaton, even if Wanda didn't explicitly say it (which she very well might have) Wanda really should have a fair idea.
wih
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:07 am

Re: Epilogue 20 – Jillian and Ansom

Postby bpzinn » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:43 am

multilis wrote:New royal heir may give some advantages, eg ability for Don to risk himself in wars, his bonus may help bats, etc. The "chief warlord" part is unclear... Caesar was highest ranking warlord so might be left as chief.

King Don doesn't seem like the warrior type. And without any levels, he can't take advantage of his Royally enhanced stats. He can't do anything Caesar can't do better.[/quote]

I dunno. The Don seems more competent then Stately. And when it was all on the line and Stately took to the Field there was some definite moments of awesome. And it could not just have been all the buffs; or they could have just buffed and dittoed some random piker. We know there are ways to level outside combat. Artemis trained her units to level, and casters can cast to level.

I think rulers can "rule" to level so "Ass kicking = Authority" can be a thing. There are base class units, and elite units, and warlords, and more. I would think a ruler is AT LEAST knight class in combat effectiveness by default. Someone had said Rob has implied knight class units have a warlord type level bonus, that only applies to themselves.
User avatar
bpzinn
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:31 pm

Re: Epilogue 20 – Jillian and Ansom

Postby LTDave » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:25 am

SHE'S PREGNANT?!

Did I miss that in a previous comic or info-blurb?

And he can tell she's pregnant just by looking at her?

How does that work?

How does that work with male rulers? Can you still tell?

How is this not the major topic of conversation for this update?
User avatar
LTDave
 
Posts: 2336
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:53 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests