Epilogue 21 – Vinny

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Epilogue 21 – Vinny

Postby MadZuri » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:57 am

This is how easy it would be for Vinny to conquer FAQ:
order all units out of garrison zones
move a skank into each garrison zone
break alliance

Evidently he has military authority and can order FAQ units. Being a person with both military experience and experience writing very drunken notes, it was a list of 2 items and a direct order. Vinny will be compelled to comply to the letter.

edit: Vinny can't break alliance, but Caesar can.
MadZuri
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:39 pm

Re: Epilogue 21 – Vinny

Postby Tarvok » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:56 am

I'm wondering just how drunk Caesar is. He's making an important decision while drunk... never a good idea. The question, for me, is will he even remember sending this note in the morning?
Tarvok
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:28 pm

Re: Epilogue 21 – Vinny

Postby No one in particular » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:11 am

Man, you know what I'm going to find hilarious? When this comes out of NOWHERE, as far as Charlie is concerned.

After all, this wasn't Thinkamancy! Charlie can't hack the note! So while Charlie listens to Don & Bunny still sending thinkagrams to Jillian about how TV will keep supporting Faq and will be allies forever now, he has NO clue what Caesar & Vinny are planning.

    Charlie: Mwa ha ha, all my pawns are in place. Soon, TV & Faq will strike at GK from the rear, and-
    Caesar: CHAAAARRRRGE!!!!
    [Faq gets taken down by TV, who then proceed to abandon Charlie's plans in order to wipe out Carpool once and for all]
    Charlie: What.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
User avatar
No one in particular
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:48 pm
Location: Nowhere Atoll

Re: Epilogue 21 – Vinny

Postby Gregoriownd » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:26 am

I'd forgotten about the whole carpool situation with Trans. Now wouldn't it be fun to find out that Carpool has a thinkamancer, and has been contacted by GK? I remember Vinny being nervous about one city that would get captured and ransomed back on a regular basis having something nasty stuck in it ready to chew up an invading Trans. force. In this case, say.... a whole bunched of Decrypted units from an allied side, with a few dwagons perhaps?

Got to say, there are a lot of possible game plans for Parson if/when he finds out about this little tangle from his thinkamancer alliance. Assuming nothing goes wrong with that, of course.
Gregoriownd
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:43 pm

Re: Epilogue 21 – Vinny

Postby Urf » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:57 am

Four pages, and no one's mentioned the genius name of the new TV heir?
Urf
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: Epilogue 21 – Vinny

Postby Mrtyuh » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:02 pm

Gregoriownd wrote:I'd forgotten about the whole carpool situation with Trans. Now wouldn't it be fun to find out that Carpool has a thinkamancer, and has been contacted by GK? I remember Vinny being nervous about one city that would get captured and ransomed back on a regular basis having something nasty stuck in it ready to chew up an invading Trans. force. In this case, say.... a whole bunched of Decrypted units from an allied side, with a few dwagons perhaps?

That already happened. Transylvito kept seizing Carport from Carpool and ransoming it back. The last time they did this, the Carpudlians retook the Carport by sea and massively built up the city's air defenses. When Transylvito tried to retake the city with their traditional warlord-led air assault, they were slaughtered, losing two warlords in the process. That was probably the event that precipitated Transylvito's current collapse. Since then, they've lost three cities and five more warlords. We know that Jitterati took White Castle, but the Charlie-orchestrated rebellion of the Western Giants has removed them as a threat for the time being. Carpool has possibly taken Chocula again. Caesar managed to retake the city, but he admitted that Transylvito was unable to hold it. Carpool is definitely holding Transylvito prisoners. We know that Metroland is also holding Transylvito prisoners, so it's likely they have also captured a Transylvito city. So, Transylvito has lost over a quarter of their warlords and four-fifths of their treasury since the Battle of Gobwin Knob. They're in no position to be going after Carport anytime soon.
मृत्युः सर्वहरश्चाहमुद्भवश्च भविष्यताम् ।
User avatar
Mrtyuh
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:50 pm
Location: The Early Racoon Camp

Re: Epilogue 21 – Vinny

Postby wih » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:12 pm

Urf wrote:Four pages, and no one's mentioned the genius name of the new TV heir?


Is this something hiding in plain sight? I can't see this explicitly stated.
wih
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:07 am

Re: Epilogue 21 – Vinny

Postby MonteCristo » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:25 pm

MadZuri wrote:Being a person with both military experience and experience writing very drunken notes, it was a list of 2 items and a direct order. Vinny will be compelled to comply to the letter.

Not exactly. Just as Ben could refuse Don's orders, Vinny could potentially refuse Ceasar's. If Vinny's loyalty is more to Don, then he could see supporting Ceasar's actions as a betrayal of duty, and thus refuse them.

No one in particular wrote:Man, you know what I'm going to find hilarious? When this comes out of NOWHERE, as far as Charlie is concerned.

After all, this wasn't Thinkamancy! Charlie can't hack the note! So while Charlie listens to Don & Bunny still sending thinkagrams to Jillian about how TV will keep supporting Faq and will be allies forever now, he has NO clue what Caesar & Vinny are planning.


Charlie may not be able to read hat notes, but he can read thinkagram's; like the one's Ceasar and Bunny share every night. There is no telling what Ceasar may have told Bunny; he's more than likely said more than once how much he disproves of what Don is doing and how he feels about the "crazy broad" they have been supporting. He may have told bunny enough that Charlie might suspect he'd make a coup attempt or a move against Faq.

Y'know I'm actually not sure where Bunny stands on a coup against Don. From her ryhmomancy a rather suspect she may care for Don too much to betray him even if its for Ceasar

Mrtyuh wrote: We know that Jitterati took White Castle, but the Charlie-orchestrated rebellion of the Western Giants has removed them as a threat for the time being..



Actually that does remind me of something... Jitterati. Considering the damage that Jillian (and charlie) did to them with the western Giants, you would think that don would try to use that as levearage for her worth as an ally. Ceasar says she's a waste, and Don would point out how she already eliminated one of their enemies as a threat; at a time when they are too weak to deal with their enemies on their own. You would think he would consider that act as proof of her worth; ofcourse he doesn't know that was really Charlie's doing.
User avatar
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:48 pm

Re: Epilogue 21 – Vinny

Postby No one in particular » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:36 pm

MonteCristo wrote:
No one in particular wrote:Man, you know what I'm going to find hilarious? When this comes out of NOWHERE, as far as Charlie is concerned.

After all, this wasn't Thinkamancy! Charlie can't hack the note! So while Charlie listens to Don & Bunny still sending thinkagrams to Jillian about how TV will keep supporting Faq and will be allies forever now, he has NO clue what Caesar & Vinny are planning.
Charlie may not be able to read hat notes, but he can read thinkagram's; like the one's Caesar and Bunny share every night. There is no telling what Caesar may have told Bunny; he's more than likely said more than once how much he disproves of what Don is doing and how he feels about the "crazy broad" they have been supporting. He may have told bunny enough that Charlie might suspect he'd make a coup attempt or a move against Faq.

Y'know I'm actually not sure where Bunny stands on a coup against Don. From her rhyme-o-mancy a rather suspect she may care for Don too much to betray him even if it's for Caesar.
It's one thing for Charlie to hear a disgruntled warlord complain to his girlfriend about not liking what the boss is doing; it's another to hear detailed plans about when the coup is.

*shrugs* I meant it mostly in jest, anyway. I just liked the idea of Charlie being caught completely by surprise because someone didn't use thinkagrams.

MonteCristo wrote:
Mrtyuh wrote: We know that Jitterati took White Castle, but the Charlie-orchestrated rebellion of the Western Giants has removed them as a threat for the time being..
Actually that does remind me of something... Jitterati. Considering the damage that Jillian (and charlie) did to them with the western Giants, you would think that don would try to use that as levearage for her worth as an ally. Ceasar says she's a waste, and Don would point out how she already eliminated one of their enemies as a threat; at a time when they are too weak to deal with their enemies on their own. You would think he would consider that act as proof of her worth; ofcourse he doesn't know that was really Charlie's doing.
I dunno... Caesar could rightly point out that Jitterati only posed such a big threat because TV had dumped a bunch of their shmuckers into Faq. So, yeah, "crazy broad solved a problem for us that only existed because of the crazy broad."
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
User avatar
No one in particular
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:48 pm
Location: Nowhere Atoll

Re: Epilogue 21 – Vinny

Postby multilis » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:39 pm

The obvious solution is for Jillian and Caesar to get married... they are so much alike. Both are busy planning to sack enemy cities to boost treasury, and both favor quick direct action over carefully laid plans using their skills as warlord in direct fighting, both favor air attack, and both are blondes.

There was a blonde, a redhead, and a brunette. They were all trapped on an island and the nearest shore was 50 miles away. The redhead swam trying to make it to the other shore she swam 15 miles, drowned, and died. The brunette swam 24 miles, drowned, and died. The blonde swam 25 miles, got tired, and swam back.
multilis
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:57 am

Re: Epilogue 21 – Vinny

Postby No one in particular » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:47 pm

multilis wrote:The obvious solution is for Jillian and Caesar to get married... they are so much alike. Both are busy planning to sack enemy cities to boost treasury, and both favor quick direct action over carefully laid plans using their skills as warlord in direct fighting, both favor air attack, and both are blondes.

... MY GOD.

Caesar was brainwashed by Charlie too! IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!

Also: Charlie clearly has a fetish for messing with the minds of unruly, blonde heirs. Kinky!

;p
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
User avatar
No one in particular
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:48 pm
Location: Nowhere Atoll

Re: Epilogue 21 – Vinny

Postby Urf » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:03 pm

wih wrote:
Urf wrote:Four pages, and no one's mentioned the genius name of the new TV heir?


Is this something hiding in plain sight? I can't see this explicitly stated.


Megalo, from Kibo.

Don King descends from King County, thereby showing that customarily, TV ruler's first names become their successor's surnames. This precedent isn't Erf-wide, as Jetstone kept their family name, and Faq's royalty have completely unrelated names.
Urf
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: Epilogue 21 – Vinny

Postby No one in particular » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:10 pm

Urf wrote:
wih wrote:
Urf wrote:Four pages, and no one's mentioned the genius name of the new TV heir?


Is this something hiding in plain sight? I can't see this explicitly stated.


Megalo, from Kibo.

Don King descends from King County, thereby showing that customarily, TV ruler's first names become their successor's surnames. This precedent isn't Erf-wide, as Jetstone kept their family name, and Faq's royalty have completely unrelated names.

A megalo is the giant bird-thing that Jillian rides. You know, the super gwiffons? (wiki link for ref: click click!)

I suppose it wouldn't be totally out of character for Jillian to name her kid after her favorite mount, like a cowboy naming their kid Hoss or something...

More to the point, the Heir isn't due to pop for quite a few more turns yet. In Epilogue 20, Jillian told Ansom that Vanna would finish the popping once they got back.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
User avatar
No one in particular
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:48 pm
Location: Nowhere Atoll

Re: Epilogue 21 – Vinny

Postby Urf » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:16 pm

*raises fists to the heavens*

Aargh, you're right. "the fresh-popped Megalo"... the use of the "the" makes it sound less of a person and more of a unit. The capitalization threw me, as well as my reading that Vinny was reporting from Transylvito, and NOT Faq, where he's obviously stationed.

Megalo Don sounded perfect me as it's the biggest of the sharks, and Sharks is the name of a street gang in West Side Story, a musical set in the greaser time period which informs the culture of Transylvito... FOILED AGAIN.
Urf
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: Epilogue 21 – Vinny

Postby Tonot » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:28 pm

ManaCaster wrote:
Tonot wrote:It strikes me people have read this http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F139.jpg page of the comic and not realised that Vinny also was in love with Ansom.

Yes. Because being lovers or having a crush is the only reason to ever mourn someone.


No. Because sex, sexual feelings, consummation, or even intention of sexual feelings, all have nothing to do with love. In mature societies* and even primitive ones, men can love other men with an intensity rivalling that between men and women. History is full of examples that men were taught of as children in an earlier time, in a more mature society.
Edit to add, in Greece, it was considered the primary human virtue, that you could love with absolute fidelity. You had duties to the State and Gods, they would have been primary, but pure faithful Platonic love for between two men was time and again extoled as perfection of character. One Greek man acting as a hostage , in faith, for another under a death sentence, while he goes away and returns. Second man does in fact return, to the amazement of the unfaithful Syracusians.

So I was economically pointing to the strength of his feeling. I said nothing about Ansoms return of it, or anything else about the relationship. My comment was the result of people reading Ansoms return as Vinny being presented with a rival, and it can not be so, he LOVES Ansom, is, as far as I can tell, merely having affectionate Nooky with Jillian, because he surely does not and never did trust her. Ansom is just one of the other people, including Wanda, that Jillian plays around with and Vinny knows that already!. How can that suddenly cause him any trauma? He has already dealt with the issue, as he has dealt with the same issue about Wanda/Jillian.

Sadly, people who belong to the modern, childish, infantile (and anyone with their wits about them at this point can name the country that, along with many genuinely great Ideals and other benefits, the childish sickness spews out of in film and TV. It is as much our own fault for allowing it to take root, as it is the source to export it, of course.) global society we have, have their perceptions warped. No homo, as the infinitely witty and subtly parsed modern lingo we are so indebted to them for would phrase it. And so more than one poster assumes me saying "He loved Ansom" means other than what it literally means. Quite obviously a product of the times, it is depressing.
Tonot
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:06 am

Re: Epilogue 21 – Vinny

Postby ManaCaster » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:00 pm

Tonot wrote:
ManaCaster wrote:
Tonot wrote:It strikes me people have read this http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F139.jpg page of the comic and not realised that Vinny also was in love with Ansom.

Yes. Because being lovers or having a crush is the only reason to ever mourn someone.


No. Because sex, sexual feelings, consummation, or even intention of sexual feelings, all have nothing to do with love. In mature societies* and even primitive ones, men can love other men with an intensity rivalling that between men and women. History is full of examples that men were taught of as children in an earlier time, in a more mature society.
...
So I was economically pointing to the strength of his feeling. I said nothing about Ansoms return of it, or anything else about the relationship. My comment was the result of people reading Ansoms return as Vinny being presented with a rival, and it can not be so, he LOVES Ansom, is, as far as I can tell, merely having affectionate Nooky with Jillian, because he surely does not and never did trust her. Ansom is just one of the other people, including Wanda, that Jillian plays around with and Vinny knows that already!. How can that suddenly cause him any trauma? He has already dealt with the issue, as he has dealt with the same issue about Wanda/Jillian.

Sadly, people who belong to the modern, childish, infantile (and anyone with their wits about them at this point can name the country that, along with many genuinely great Ideals and other benefits, the childish sickness spews out of in film and TV. It is as much our own fault for allowing it to take root, as it is the source to export it, of course.) global society we have, have their perceptions warped. No homo, as the infinitely witty and subtly parsed modern lingo we are so indebted to them for would phrase it. And so more than one poster assumes me saying "He loved Ansom" means other than what it literally means. Quite obviously a product of the times, it is depressing.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I generally understand "in love" to imply romantic love. I didn't realize it was so common for it to refer to intense platonic love as well.
ManaCaster
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:06 am

Re: Epilogue 21 – Vinny

Postby Tonot » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:02 pm

ManaCaster wrote:I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I generally understand "in love" to imply romantic love. I didn't realize it was so common for it to refer to intense platonic love as well.


Well, I am grateful for the offer, but no, don't say sorry, after all the fault was no doubt entirely mine. One must cut ones coat to suit the cloth, after all. So I really ought to have worded what I said so as to communicate with the people whom I was addressing, with the least infelicities. If I had said "Loves Ansom like a Favourite Brother" it would have made my point. Ergo, fault rests with the old man whom culture, in its remorseless ebbing, has left stranded on a useless reef of outmoded thought.
Maybe if I had said, "No, Ansom and Vinny are BFF, No Homo, and Jillian is a flake, bros before hos" though, people would have sensed I was taking the piss. :P
Tonot
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:06 am

Re: Epilogue 21 – Vinny

Postby Lipkin » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:07 pm

Tonot wrote:
ManaCaster wrote:I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I generally understand "in love" to imply romantic love. I didn't realize it was so common for it to refer to intense platonic love as well.


Well, I am grateful for the offer, but no, don't say sorry, after all the fault was no doubt entirely mine. One must cut ones coat to suit the cloth, after all. So I really ought to have worded what I said so as to communicate with the people whom I was addressing, with the least infelicities. If I had said "Loves Ansom like a Favourite Brother" it would have made my point. Ergo, fault rests with the old man whom culture, in its remorseless ebbing, has left stranded on a useless reef of outmoded thought.
Maybe if I had said, "No, Ansom and Vinny are BFF, No Homo, and Jillian is a flake, bros before hos" though, people would have sensed I was taking the piss. :P

Had you simply said "Vinny loves Ansom," there would have been no confusion. "Love" is a neutral term. "In love" is specific, usually with romantic implications.

Compare saying "He loves his car" to "He's in love with his car." The tone completely shifts.
User avatar
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 1046
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:36 am

Re: Epilogue 21 – Vinny

Postby Tonot » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:11 am

Silence from the cheap seats ! ;)

Personally, I find many of the people here lay in wait for misunderstandings they can make. It isn't that i don't understand the impulse, but I just find it too predictable from some of you.
Tonot
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:06 am

Re: Epilogue 21 – Vinny

Postby Oliolli » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:52 am

Lipkin wrote:Are you you adding to MC's point, or do you honestly not realize he was being sarcastic?

I was actually saying what Tonot later explained in more detail. I ust did it in a short and, apparently, difficult to understand way.
Oliolli
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:31 am

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests