Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby balder » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:38 pm

New One is up.
balder

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby lonetrey » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:50 am

Awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Just that one part, "Stuff I've never had to use. Yet."

That is just such delicious food for thought(amancy)!

Spoiler: show
The whole high-tech stuff at the end with the Archon army, I hope Charlie has a whole new style to his units! I really like the contrast in different factions (Faq/Asian, GK/medieval, Jetstone/toys, Transylvito/vampire-gothic-horror, etc), so I can't wait for Charlie to bring new ideas into the mix! Personally, I'm hoping for cyber/mecha stuff!
Last edited by lonetrey on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
lonetrey

Postby GKBeetle » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:51 am

That seems very ominous on Charlie's part. Looking forward to the next part very much now. Also, very cool seeing the book working in real time.
GKBeetle
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Whispri » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:53 am

Wow. That was a good video I have to say.

Were those ground trooops more Archons... or has he been popping infantry since TBfGK?
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby atalex » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:58 am

Whispri wrote:Wow. That was a good video I have to say.

Were those ground trooops more Archons... or has he been popping infantry since TBfGK?

I'm betting they're all archons. My prediction all along is that Charlie isn't just greedy. I think his mercenary activities are merely to fund the construction of a vast army of perfectly loyal archons (expensive units with high upkeep). He's been posing as "just a mercenary" to keep people from considering him a threat until he has the forces he thinks are necessary to conquer Erfworld outright.
atalex

Postby Dusso » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:59 am

The units in the court with red glow look like some kind of decrypted?
The whole scenery - troops layout reminded me of Imperium troopers from Empire Strikes Back :)
Dusso

Postby Lipkin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:11 am

Hellofanupdate.

I suspect that the need for the calculation wasn't for one client, but for every client. He'll use it to paint Gobwin Knob as an even greater threat. "Gobwin Knob is coming for you, and only I can help you stop them."

Book three may be about both sides gathering allies before the final clash. Full on Erf War 1.

Also, it's notable that Parson is likely to start making guns and other weapons with Ace as well, so we may get a arms race going besides.

I hope we get to see an assembly line of Twolls.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby No one in particular » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:33 am

Dusso wrote:The units in the court with red glow look like some kind of decrypted?
The whole scenery - troops layout reminded me of Imperium troopers from Empire Strikes Back :)

Star Wars nothing, that was
Tron Legacy!

Charlie knows about a world outside of Erf. He knows about a world where there are no Turns, no Duty, no RULES... and he wants to be a part of it.

Charlie wants off the Game Grid. Charlie wants OUT.

Why conquer Erfworld when he can conquer Stupidworld?

Boop, man. BOOP.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby Lemarc » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:46 am

I don't see why guns would be a major gamechanger. Surely they just have an Attack stat like everything else, and archons can already shoot laser beams, can't they? The only significant advantage I can see is if they could be mass-produced and given to low-level troops to boost their combat power, kind of like the real life gunpowder revolution.
Lemarc

Postby Lipkin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:51 am

No one in particular wrote:
Dusso wrote:The units in the court with red glow look like some kind of decrypted?

Star Wars nothing, that was
Tron Legacy!

Charlie knows about a world outside of Erf. He knows about a world where there are no Turns, no Duty, no RULES... and he wants to be a part of it.

Charlie wants off the Game Grid. Charlie wants OUT.

Why conquer Erfworld when he can conquer Stupidworld?

Boop, man. BOOP.

That would be pretty sweet.
Lipkin

Postby Ytaker » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:01 am

Lemarc wrote:I don't see why guns would be a major gamechanger. Surely they just have an Attack stat like everything else, and archons can already shoot laser beams, can't they? The only significant advantage I can see is if they could be mass-produced and given to low-level troops to boost their combat power, kind of like the real life gunpowder revolution.

It could be other stats that they boost. Fire rate or range. Perhaps they could snipe units (warlords) across several hex boundaries, or fire a flurry of bullets at a group of infantry.
Ytaker

Postby ShieldOfAthena » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:07 am

....So when does the COMIC part of the comic get an update? I might be alone in this, but I don't watch the videos. I think they are kind of a waste of time, tbh. Side projects are for when your main project is on time and doing well.
ShieldOfAthena
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Denar » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:09 am

Why were they all glowing red? Has Charlie managed to learn from studying the captured Archon how to make his own Decrypted units, using some weird carnymancy with his Arkentool?

EDIT: After all, he's managed to mimic the effects of a certain pair of red ArkenShoes into a scroll...

If so, he now has his own, upkeep-less army (which would have huge ramifications for the rest of the world - Charlie does all the mercenary work to support the cost of having only Archons on his side - what wouuld he do afterwards?) which is immune to decryption by GK, so Wanda won't get her wish of getting any more.

Or are a higher tier of Archon, the "elite" guard that Charlie used to have around himself, that he's begun popping in huge quantities getting ready for this?

Or maybe it was a little continuity error.
Last edited by Denar on Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denar

Postby Gregoriownd » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:11 am

I suspect the advantage of guns would be something around the lines of ranged attacks that are accurate enough that units without the archery special still have a high % hit chance. Units with the archery special, on the other hand, would be stupid accurate, and likely able to wield a specialized version that could fire across an otherwise unprecedented number of hexes accurately (on turn only, unless shenanigans, of course) AKA sniper rifles. The anti-air turrets and the whole look are really giving Charlies side a Third Reich vibe. Thinking that the spotlights grant a bonus to spotting veiled units in the airspace, and adjoining hexes, making stealthy approaches on this city to be quite difficult. As for the glowing red, it looks like its just a use of red outlines to complement the blue units on the blue backround, but might mean something more...
Gregoriownd

Postby Kaed » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:18 am

I think the issue is more than the guns - archons are extremely powerful and versatile soldiers already. They're basically mani-casters with leadership, and in fact they probably made those guns themselves with their natural dollamancy. It's been pre-established that dollamancy items (like Slately's scepter-raygun) have an internal charge separate from the person wielding them. So what you really are looking at is an army with basically more shockamancy than can feasibly be countered by any one side - think about it, most sides have a 2-3 casters, a few have more. That courtyard has the equivalent of probably over 40 (low level) dollamancers, thinkamancers, shockamancers, and foolamancers EACH, all equipped with magic items and most of them boasting their own leadership score AND dance fighting abilities, not to mention flying.

If there is a way to counter that other than a pyrrhic war of attrition we have yet to see it. That is simply too much firepower localized in one place, like having an orbital death ray hovering over a planet still using bows and arrows.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby ShieldOfAthena » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:28 am

There are 48 Archons in each of those stacks. We can see 8 stacks, 336 Archons+23 more flying/in turrets. However given that they clearly arranged in 2x3 blocks of 48 Archons each, it is more likely we are looking at 576+23, call it 600 Archons.

According to First Intermission #46, Charlie has slightly over 600 Archons. We may be looking at nearly every single Archon, come home to re-equip with new toys. Particularly as we know normally 80% of them are out in the field. Even the conservative ~350 estimate is more than half his Archons. That is not a normal number to have at home.

Wonder what he made for his 700 golems.
ShieldOfAthena
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby yuffiek » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:39 am

We know Charlie has been trapped in Erfworld for thousands of turns, but this reveals he's familiar enough with Stupidworld (Earth) tech to be from... call it the 80's at least.

Also, the Tron Legacy comment hearkens all the way back to the original "Summon Perfect Warlord" spell... Remember Grid Wanda?
yuffiek

Postby Lipkin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:47 am

ShieldOfAthena wrote:There are 48 Archons in each of those stacks. We can see 8 stacks, 336 Archons+23 more flying/in turrets. However given that they clearly arranged in 2x3 blocks of 48 Archons each, it is more likely we are looking at 576+23, call it 600 Archons.

According to First Intermission #46, Charlie has slightly over 600 Archons. We may be looking at nearly every single Archon, come home to re-equip with new toys. Particularly as we know normally 80% of them are out in the field. Even the conservative ~350 estimate is more than half his Archons. That is not a normal number to have at home.

Wonder what he made for his 700 golems.

It's possible he borrowed Vanna for a while before sending her on to Jillian.
Lipkin

Postby Lipkin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:48 am

yuffiek wrote:We know Charlie has been trapped in Erfworld for thousands of turns, but this reveals he's familiar enough with Stupidworld (Earth) tech to be from... call it the 80's at least.

Also, the Tron Legacy comment hearkens all the way back to the original "Summon Perfect Warlord" spell... Remember Grid Wanda?

There is not a little bit of similarity in appearance between The Wizard of Oz and MCP.
Lipkin

Postby zilfallon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:12 am

Nice move by Charlie. Hamster gave away too much information. Previous "eyebook duels" were Hamster's wins, but this one goes to Charlie imho.
rkyeun wrote:Roses are red.
Violets are blue.

zilfallon

Next

Return to Reactions