Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby Dinkum » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Dunbar wrote:Then the priced the support plan so that Stanley wouldn't buy it. Actually, as I recall Stanley was not interested in the spell very much until Wanda mentioned it was cheaper without the support plan. Then he changed his mind, because suddenly it was a deal. Maybe without the price drop, he wouldn't have bought it.


Pretty sure Stanley would have bought it. He balks because 500,000 shmuckers would 'empty the treasury', but is made to understand that if they lose the battle Ansom will seize the treasury anyway unless Stanley spends it first. He has nothing to lose until Wanda opens her mouth and says the spell is only technically 350,000 shmuckers, at which point he agrees that she can cast it. If there was a plan that could take into account Stanley's flippant nature, it must have been a good one.

I don't really think the pricing nuance entered it, as the thinkamancers make it clear that not everybody involved in the creation of the scroll knew the full story. Since the Magic Kingdom runs on rands, but unit upkeeps should still need to be paid in theory, most likely the cost of the spell was actually fair compensation for work of the casters involved, given that juice used in the creation of the scroll could not be used by the caster later under any contract/side.

Wanda might have made up the number to bring Stanley closer to ruin, but she confesses to Parson after the battle for Gobwin Knob that she had turned to Stanley's side and waited for the next tool, instead of trying to get the hammer. Wanda asking Ansom to touch her with the pliers in the battle seems to make that pretty solid, so she wouldn't necessarily have had any motivation to bankrupt Stanley, as she still thought he was the best choice for her to get an arkentool.

The number speculation also seems to hinge on the idea that anybody KNEW exactly how many shmuckers Gobwin Knob had, which I can't find any support for anywhere. Even when I went back to the archives, thinking that Charlie knew how to get other sides' treasury numbers, it never seemed to be true. A lot of the shmuckers stuff looks abstracted away for story-telling, but a few numbers are made explicit. There are others, but these are some of the larger ones:

Cost of a Summon Perfect Warlord Spell: 350,000
Cost of the use of a caster for that spell: 150,000
Rough estimate by Sizemore of Parson's Bracer: ~500,000+
Charlie's cost to Transylvito to get out of the Gobwin Knob fight: 250,000/turn
Non-aggression contract penalty proposed by Tramennis: 1,000,000
Charlie's bounty on decrypted archon: 5000/dusted, 25000 bonus for at least one alive

I don't have on hand how many archons were at the battle of Jetstone but the 5k per archon + 25k was supposed to be enough to designate Tramennis heir, which Jetstone did accomplish. Charlie possibly put the screws to clone-Slately, as Tramennis was also informed at the time of receiving heir status that the queued-to-pop royal heir was dismissed. Whether that was for shmuckers, a condition from Charlie, or a necessity of making Tramennis heir is not clear, but the cost is possibly bounded by the fact that Charlie suggested the 'full bounty' could cover the heir costs, implying that simply dusting all of the archons would not be enough.

Smuckers only really seem to be referenced as a narrative aid to explain certain actions or 'diplomacies'. I think any references to shmucker amounts is a dead end, as even though Rob probably worked out the numbers, it would not advance the story-telling to put prices on everything. In fact, isn't that what Parson is trying to bring down?
Dinkum
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:14 pm

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby Zeku » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:37 pm

Posting again, because I'm quite literally dying of boredom.

Why does Charlie verbally dissect the conversation so much, when his entire personality is that he's a secretive guy? Why did he explain to Parson that he figured out the extent of Parson's Duty? Is this just a necessity of narration, or is this a flaw in Charlie's character that we haven't discussed yet? My gut tells me that this is a deliberate reveal, and that we should think of Charlie as being very happy about having some real competition in Erfworld.

In my mind's eye, he's a good natured middle aged man, though I realize the recklessness of that assumption. We've seen his murderous side, but he's just always so...cheerful! Is there actual understated viciousness in his tone, or is Charlie playing a larger game where Parson's strategy (winning or losing) isn't a determining factor?
Zeku
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:35 am

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby Lilwik » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:52 pm

Zeku wrote:Why did he explain to Parson that he figured out the extent of Parson's Duty? Is this just a necessity of narration, or is this a flaw in Charlie's character that we haven't discussed yet?
I strongly suspect that it's neither of those things. Rob is far too good a writer to do anything just for narration, so it can't be that. I also don't see any flaw in Charlie's character being presented. What sort of flaw would this be? Is Charlie accidentally revealing some important secret? I see no important secret. All I see is Charlie manipulating Parson to get around Parson's reluctance to do the calculation. In telling Parson that it's Duty that is preventing Parson from doing the calculation, Charlie loses nothing and causes Parson to re-examine his reasons for not wanting to do the calculation.
Lilwik
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby victor227 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:19 pm

Lilwik wrote:
Zeku wrote:Why did he explain to Parson that he figured out the extent of Parson's Duty? Is this just a necessity of narration, or is this a flaw in Charlie's character that we haven't discussed yet?
I strongly suspect that it's neither of those things. Rob is far too good a writer to do anything just for narration, so it can't be that. I also don't see any flaw in Charlie's character being presented. What sort of flaw would this be? Is Charlie accidentally revealing some important secret? I see no important secret. All I see is Charlie manipulating Parson to get around Parson's reluctance to do the calculation. In telling Parson that it's Duty that is preventing Parson from doing the calculation, Charlie loses nothing and causes Parson to re-examine his reasons for not wanting to do the calculation.


We've learned already that one can defy Thinkamancy if they're consciously aware they're being manipulated, and actively choose to lash out against it. Perhaps pointing out to Parson that he's 'just another unit' is another calculated move to remind him that even if 'great things' are destined for him, they're all a result of him being a pawn to the game, be it Fate, or Duty, or whatever else. Charlie already lashed out against the notion of being a 'tool' between books one and two, and likewise Parson took up a contrary stance to being manipulated at the end of Book One.

The whole 'I'm spending a calculation, see if you can cast the scroll' thing is rather similar. It's Charlie pointing out to Parson that he's a pawn being railroaded by Fate. He's getting him to look behind the scenes of the situation. He wants Parson to defy and question Fate as much as possible, to make the inevitable path Parson has to take to kill him all the more long and difficult, and perhaps even subvert it entirely.

That aside, Charlie and Parson are, while in contrary positions, able to at least enjoy making the odd dig at one another and spar a bit. Charlie telling him that he's working out the extent of Parson's duty is a similar thing to when Parson pointed out to Charlie that he didn't know his bracer could make abstract calculations before Charlie asked him to make one.
victor227
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:26 am

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby spriteless » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:29 pm

Charlie is revealing only as much as Parson was revealing with the number. Any information can be used against the enemy. Disparate and things can be pieced together for a piece of the big picture. Info Security, man.

But Charlie doesn't have to worry about long term consequences too much, the end game is coming. Charlie only needs his savings to last until then and he knows it. It's why he is paying Jetstone. It's why he recalled his Archons. It's why he's cashing Parson's contractual calculations. Charlie thinks he can afford a bit of sloppy gloating right before he goes in for the kill.

At least, that's the only sense I can make from Charlie's actions.
T'was a splendidly speedy defection.
spriteless
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby Oberon » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:59 am

Free Radical wrote:
Oberon wrote:Who makes a plan which offers two options, one which you want to occur, and the other which absolutely screws your plan over if selected?

A predictamancer who knows which one you're going to choose?
And again, why bother to involve predictamancy when you can simply offer one option and be done with it? Also, predictamancy doesn't work that way. A predictamancer may be able to say "Wanda will cast the SPW scroll, I so predict!", but they won't know the situation involved, or when it will happen. They won't know that in order to make it happen when and where they want it to happen that they will have to offer a support contract, for example.

drachefly wrote:The two prices might have been necessary to sell Stanley on it. Let him think he was doing it on the cheap.
This is really getting a bit desperate. If you want Stanley to think he's getting it on the cheap, sell it to him cheap! Really, it's that simple. No need for elaborate plans, wheels within wheels, involving magic predictions, making offers you need to go the way you want, or any other obfuscation.

There's no mention of a mathamancer being involved, so they can't run calculations that include details like: How likely is Stanley to balk at X price point? At Y price point? If we offer Stanley 2 prices, one with and one without a support contract, how likely is he to jump at the lower price and have Wanda cast the spell? Etc. , etc.

Predictamancy only goes so far, and offering 2 options, one which absolutely ruins your plans, is utterly foolish without something like a mathamancer or Parson's bracer to show you the odds.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 am

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby wih » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:18 am

Oberon wrote:
Free Radical wrote:
Oberon wrote:Who makes a plan which offers two options, one which you want to occur, and the other which absolutely screws your plan over if selected?

A predictamancer who knows which one you're going to choose?
And again, why bother to involve predictamancy when you can simply offer one option and be done with it?


It's a well known marketing technique. This is why you usually get a better price per unit for larger quantities. This is why the smallest bottle of coke is ridiculously expensive compared to the next ones up. It's related to Anchoring (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchoring).
wih
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:07 am

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby Dunbar » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:43 am

Oberon wrote:
Free Radical wrote:
Oberon wrote:Who makes a plan which offers two options, one which you want to occur, and the other which absolutely screws your plan over if selected?

A predictamancer who knows which one you're going to choose?
And again, why bother to involve predictamancy when you can simply offer one option and be done with it?


But here's the rub, and I mentioned it in my last post: your argument here against Wanda being the intended caster also works against the argument that there was another intended caster of the spell. At the end of the day, the Predictamancers and Thinkamancers did, indeed, offer GK two options. As you have so eloquently pointed out, it makes no sense to offer two options if one of those options leads to failure. But they went ahead and did it! So the new question is, why did they do it?

One opinion is that the predictamancers played around with the offer until they game up with a scenario that ends up with Stanley picking the option they want. This doesn't have to involve mathamancy by the way. Remember when Marie was trying to help Wanda shoot at a fleeing Olive, Marie ran through many scenarios in her head but couldn't find one where Wanda hits. The predictamancers could have run though many different permutations on the offer they make to GK until they hit on one where their predictamancy results in Stanley accepting the offer and Wanda casting the spell. So then they used that option. That seems well within the established limits of what predicatamancy could do.

The other option I see, as I mentioned before, is it didn't matter who cast the spell as long as it was cast for GK (due to Fate or whatever).

But at the end of the day, they DID offer GK two options. So whether or not that seems like a stupid idea, they did it. And I would postulate that the Predictamancers and Thinkamancers are not stupid. Therefore, I think it reasonable to say there is some method to the offer they made.

So let's back up a bit. This whole discussion started around whether Wanda was the one they wanted to cast the spell or not. Given that Marie seems happy with the results of the spell and neither she nor anyone else in on their grand plan makes any mention of how Wanda casting it was unplanned or a mistake, it appears that Wanda was the intended caster. Your counter-argument is that the offer they made to Stanley makes no sense if they wanted Wanda to cast it, and they actually wanted a different caster. However, even if they wanted a different caster, their offer still makes no sense for the same reason, as they still did offer Stanley a choice!

So frankly, I'm left with either the offer they made was determined through use of predictamancy to get the result they want, or they didn't care who cast it as long as it was cast on behalf of GK. I don't see how the counter-argument you are making supports the idea that they wanted someone else to cast the spell.
Dunbar
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:52 pm

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby drachefly » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:27 pm

Dunbar wrote:This whole discussion started around whether Wanda was the one they wanted to cast the spell or not. Given that Marie seems happy with the results of the spell and neither she nor anyone else in on their grand plan makes any mention of how Wanda casting it was unplanned or a mistake, it appears that Wanda was the intended caster.


OR they didn't care so long as it worked, which it did.
User avatar
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 1640
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby Lipkin » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:53 am

Zeku wrote:In my mind's eye, he's a good natured middle aged man, though I realize the recklessness of that assumption. We've seen his murderous side, but he's just always so...cheerful! Is there actual understated viciousness in his tone, or is Charlie playing a larger game where Parson's strategy (winning or losing) isn't a determining factor?

For me, he's more Harold Hill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s60hOgqLFGg

I do think he's got a stake in the game, but he's a con man at heart. He's not going to show anything but his professional face unless he can help it. He'll charm, he'll shmooze, but it's all a means to an end.
User avatar
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 1046
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:36 am

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby Oberon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:27 pm

Dunbar wrote:I don't see how the counter-argument you are making supports the idea that they wanted someone else to cast the spell.

I've never said they wanted someone else to cast the scroll. I merely point out that neither the canon (the actual words used in the discussion between Janice and Marie), nor logic (offering a deal with an option you absolutely do not want selected, to someone as chaotic and unpredictable as Stanley no less), nor the capabilities of predictamancy (which can tell you what will happen [Wanda will attune to a tool of the titans; Jillian will kill the Overlord of Haffaton] but not how [How will Wanda attune to a tool of the titans? It sure wasn't by asking Ansom to touch her with the 'pliers! How will Jillian slay the Overlord of Haffaton? It wasn't by strangling her in the middle of a heroin[e] dream!] or when [When will Wanda attune to a tool of the titans? No one knows! When will Jillian kill the Overlord of Haffaton? Olive would have loved to know!] or which [Nope, it wasn't the 'hammer that Wanda would attune to, even though she manipulated Stanley into assaulting FAQ] or even who [Jillian will kill the Overlord of Haffaton, but who will be Overlord of Haffaton at the time Jillian fulfills this prophecy? No one knows!]) support the assertion that Wanda was the intended caster of the spell.

She may have been. But there's no real proof that this is the case, and the assertion being made was that it was the case that Wanda was the intended caster with no room for any other interpretation. I see plenty of room.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 am

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby Lilwik » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:09 pm

Oberon wrote:nor the capabilities of predictamancy (which can tell you what will happen [Wanda will attune to a tool of the titans; Jillian will kill the Overlord of Haffaton] but not how [How will Wanda attune to a tool of the titans? It sure wasn't by asking Ansom to touch her with the 'pliers! How will Jillian slay the Overlord of Haffaton? It wasn't by strangling her in the middle of a heroin[e] dream!] or when [When will Wanda attune to a tool of the titans? No one knows! When will Jillian kill the Overlord of Haffaton? Olive would have loved to know!] or which [Nope, it wasn't the 'hammer that Wanda would attune to, even though she manipulated Stanley into assaulting FAQ] or even who [Jillian will kill the Overlord of Haffaton, but who will be Overlord of Haffaton at the time Jillian fulfills this prophecy? No one knows!])
I agree about Wanda and the SPW spell, but I don't think we should try to boil down Predictamancy to something as simple as what, but not when or how or who. That's too neat and tidy to be anything but a simplification of the truth. You're pointing out things that Predictamancy could predict and things that it couldn't predict and assigning them labels, but where does what end and how really begin? Even your own examples demonstrate that Predictamancy can sometimes say who, since you listed Predictions specifically about Jillian and Wanda. As for when, just think of Book 0, Episode 65 where Marie was trying to tell Wanda when to shoot, which would make no sense if when was beyond the range of Predictamancy.

My favorite theory is that Predictamancers can see only inevitable outcomes. For example, Wanda was Predicted to serve Olive because events had reached a point where if Goodminton didn't turn over Wanda then it would be conquered by Haffaton, and therefore no matter what choices Wanda made it was out of her hands. Then there is Book 0, Episode 20, where Delphie could look ahead in the battle to aim where the enemy will go instead of where they are; I suspect that she was seeing the decisions of the enemy units as they are made, without having to wait until those decisions are carried out before acting on them. As soon as a unit decides on dodging left the dodge direction becomes inevitable and Delphie aims left just as the unit makes its move. On the other side of it, we have Predictamancy's inability to decide which Overlady of Haffaton would be killed by Jillian; that's perfectly understandable since Jillian had plenty of opportunity and temptation to croak Judy. That outcome hinged heavily on Jillian's free will, and therefore it was beyond the range of Predictamancy, especially the Predictamancy of many turns before Jillian came to Haffaton.
Lilwik
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby drachefly » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:22 pm

That can't be all there is to it - if the prediction had never been made, Jillian would have been croaked out of hand.
User avatar
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 1640
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby Lilwik » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:18 pm

drachefly wrote:That can't be all there is to it - if the prediction had never been made, Jillian would have been croaked out of hand.
That is a bit of a puzzle. If the Prediction hadn't happened would Jillian really have been croaked instead of captured? If that's true, then by croaking Jillian that would seem to save Haffaton from it's destruction in Book 0. I'm not sure exactly what would have happened, but I guess that Haffaton would just continue as usual with Judy slowly fading away and Olive eventually taking over. If that's really what would have happened, then Maya Calendar did her side a great disservice. I would think that Duty ought to prevent Predictamancers from making Predictions that cause bad outcomes. Predictamancers should no more do that than Shockmancers should shoot lightning at their own rulers.

Perhaps Maya's Predictamancy was more powerful than it seemed. Maybe she knew all along that Jillian was going to croak Olive if the Prediction was given in a certain way, and chose to make the Prediction that way as part of a plot to make the events of Book 0 happen. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that Maya didn't like Olive, and Maya considered Olive a danger to Haffaton. Maya's Duty would be to Judy, not to Haffaton. Maybe Maya made Book 0 happen as a way to help Judy be free of Olive and return home, even if it meant destroying Haffaton in the process.

Alternatively, maybe if Maya never made her prediction Jillian would still have found a way to croak the ruler of Haffaton. It couldn't have happened the same way, but Jillian is still a high-level warlord, so there's good reason for Haffaton to try to turn her, especially since they have that fancy box. I expect that Jillian would still have ended up in the box with Wanda playing Turnamancer, but from there things might have gone differently since Wanda would have no expectation that Jillian would croak the ruler of Haffaton and there's no way of telling what difference that might make. Perhaps Wanda wouldn't make the mistake that allowed Jillian to escape. Maybe Jillian would end up taken to Efbaum for Flower Power turning. I'm no Predictamancer, but I can imagine it happening. Jillian certainly wanted to croak the ruler of Haffaton, and Olive had no reason to protect Judy.
Lilwik
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby zbeeblebrox » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:52 am

Ohh man, I bet Parson really freaked out Charlie with that last line. And the best part is, Parson doesn't even realize it!
"The rumors which surround me are myriad, you know. Myth and legend, wild speculation, paranoid suspicions..."
- Charlie, in reference to the forum members
zbeeblebrox
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby ftl » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:07 pm

zbeeblebrox wrote:Ohh man, I bet Parson really freaked out Charlie with that last line. And the best part is, Parson doesn't even realize it!


No, he probably does realize it.

He's just heard the story of Charlie from Decrypted Jack. So he knows Charlie used to call himself The Wizard. I bet that last line was deliberate.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby Ytaker » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:44 pm

Zeku wrote:Posting again, because I'm quite literally dying of boredom.

Why does Charlie verbally dissect the conversation so much, when his entire personality is that he's a secretive guy? Why did he explain to Parson that he figured out the extent of Parson's Duty? Is this just a necessity of narration, or is this a flaw in Charlie's character that we haven't discussed yet? My gut tells me that this is a deliberate reveal, and that we should think of Charlie as being very happy about having some real competition in Erfworld.

In my mind's eye, he's a good natured middle aged man, though I realize the recklessness of that assumption. We've seen his murderous side, but he's just always so...cheerful! Is there actual understated viciousness in his tone, or is Charlie playing a larger game where Parson's strategy (winning or losing) isn't a determining factor?


Charlie explained why he told him about the duty- he wanted to warn him that fighting him was a bad idea. In other conversations he can continue explaining and showing Parson that fighting him is a bad idea.

He likely guesses that Parson will assault him somehow and he'll shut it down with his magical guns and then tell him to lay off or he'll destroy him.
Ytaker
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:23 am

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby victor227 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:58 pm

That's the trouble with our understanding of Charlie! We don't know who he is and what he's up to. We don't know if he's planning for GK to attack, or if he's going to send a hundred archons against Gobwin Knob next turn in hopes of croaking Stanley and ending the side. We don't know if he has a -hundred- more Kingworld spells ready, and it really is a a paralyzingly terrifying spell, or if he has other magical items like Chillaxes handy.

Everything he portrays to others is something he built up through thousands and thousands of turns of being Erfworld's most powerful mercenary side. He's got a longer reach than most people believe the world exists. He survived a war on two fronts against two allied sides larger than his, and is the most powerful thinkamancer in the world, and likely the highest level carnymancer to boot. Olive was insanely dangerous because of her savvy, ruthlessness, charm, and high level, and Charlie's the guy who popped her to begin with. Even if she was a beast that he was unprepared to face and deal with at the time, you can bet he forged himself in Charlescomm to be in a position ready to eat rulers like her for breakfast.

Parson is letting him know that he pierced the veil of secrecy Charlie keeps around himself. That he knows about some of his past. Likewise, Charlie's letting him know that the Kingworld spell was just the tip of the iceberg. He had somewhere around five-hundred archons showing in that shot of Charlescomm, and we have no clue what sort of bonuses their magic items convey.

Mind you, it's pointed out that archons can detect veils, and Charlie has put hundreds of them in his capital, probably a good dozen or two at the portal to the Magic Kingdom, if he hasn't trapped it up entirely, so is Parson's stealth golem plan really going to work?
victor227
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:26 am

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby Oberon » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:34 pm

Lilwik wrote:I agree about Wanda and the SPW spell, but I don't think we should try to boil down Predictamancy to something as simple as what, but not when or how or who. That's too neat and tidy to be anything but a simplification of the truth. You're pointing out things that Predictamancy could predict and things that it couldn't predict and assigning them labels, but where does what end and how really begin? Even your own examples demonstrate that Predictamancy can sometimes say who, since you listed Predictions specifically about Jillian and Wanda.
In those cases "who" isn't predicting things outside of the subject of the prediction itself. Hmmm, that sounds vague, let me expand. The predictions about Wanda and Jillian are of course about a "who", but they don't specify the "who" outside of the subject of the prediction. Jillian will kill the ruler of Haffaton, but who will be the ruler of Haffaton at the time Jillian kills that ruler? Predictamacy can not say. Olive hoped it would be Judy, she was wrong. Wanda will attune to a tool of the titans, so Wanda is a "who", but also the subject of the prediction. The prediction didn't say who, if anyone, would be the prior owner of the 'tool. Wanda thought it was Stanley, she was proven to be wrong.

Lilwik wrote:As for when, just think of Book 0, Episode 65 where Marie was trying to tell Wanda when to shoot, which would make no sense if when was beyond the range of Predictamancy.

Keep in mind that this case is very fringe. It was predictamancy against predictamancy. Marie always got zero chance for Wanda to kill Olive with the tower spell, because Wanda could never kill Olive. It had to be Jillian. Also, predictamancy still doesn't say "when" when used as a a combat power. If so, Marie would have only had to say "There will never be a non-zero chance for you to hit Olive. I so predict." Or she could have said "Fire in 5 seconds, that is when you will hit. I so predict." Instead, Marie was looking at each second and attempting to predict the chance that Olive will be hit. This is not a prediction of "when", since it was real time.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 am

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby LordAcme » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:05 pm

drachefly wrote:
Oberon wrote:I'm left wondering why archons, who apparently fly or hover effortlessly, would ever bother to form up on the ground.


Possibly so that any misses from the target practice above, having been aimed into the air zone, would have a much lower chance of striking them? Perhaps like how the dwagons avoided some of the quadrupled arrows by landing when arrows had been aimed at them in the air, at Expository Bridge.

http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -11-28.jpg

~~~~~

Victor, your plan would have had an unacceptable risk of a caster escaping to the MK.


Or, it's practice for a new battle strategy. Archons are all flying units, and that fact would normally allow enemies to focus on anti-flyer defensive measures (specifically, tower defenses). By training them in ground movement instead, he gains tactical flexibility, prevents enemies from being able to maximize their resources by loading up on defenses against a single type of unit, AND gains a number of uses of tactical surprise, since everyone knows Charlie's forces are all flying types.
LordAcme
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:20 am

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests