Postby Manic Oppressive » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:32 pm

Well this is somewhat out of the blue.

Or into it, in Crush's case.
Why yes, I do like Jillian. WHAT OF IT?
Manic Oppressive

Re: Lord Crush - Part 1

Postby Arky » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:34 pm

Unexpected.

But the great thing about Erfworld is that it is a fully realised world, and can support all kinds of stories. I've no idea if this will eventually connect with any story know, but it doesn't really matter. Looks like while we wait for the Kickstarter and the art and all, we're going to learn more of Erfworld, folks.

Also: feral Snookimonster, snerk.
Arky
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby LordAcme » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:51 pm

Update! Thanks for giving us another chance to journey through a small bit of Erfworld Rob.
LordAcme
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:53 pm

I wonder if Squashcourt is related to Goodminton.
Lipkin

Postby victor227 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:57 pm

Good to get in some Erf-world-building! Seems we're getting a taste of... how did Charlie put it? The "...all the same ebb and flow of battle, conquest, alliance, diplomacy, treachery..." Still, interesting to see how a group of allied minimalist sides work without the need for conflict, though apparently we're about to hit the 'treachery' part of the spectrum! Which in turn gets into battle.

Come to think of it, with mandated half-armies, sounds like a job for a mercenary side to break the equilibrium. Then, we don't' know. Is it all written in contract? Are two, or even three, of the sides planning on ganging up on one and dividing the spoils in order to break the union and get into the good old days? Fun!
victor227

Postby fjolnir » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:04 pm

Gotta love the So-Be-It Union
fjolnir

Postby Lipkin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:18 pm

The prince might be looking to spin off. His signamancy is of a warrior. It's clear peace doesn't sit well with him, and he doesn't seem to get along with the rest of his side.
Lipkin

Postby The Shadow » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:57 pm

Interesting story... but is Book 0 finished now? Seems like an odd place to stop.
The Shadow

Postby spriteless » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:33 am

Poor Axe with the bowl on his head. Doesn't King Scrofula know that he is SERIOUS BUSINESS? Still, more peacable than some forums. :P
T'was a splendidly speedy defection.
spriteless

Postby No one in particular » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:46 am

Heh. If this is in the past, I hope that a) Protip was the side that popped Banhammer, before letting him start his utopian side of Faq and b) Crush got to mentor Tramennis in his early turns.

If this is in the present, then I hope that Tramennis & Crush hook up. They'd make a pair! :D
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby Knight13 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:15 am

The Union makes sense. We learned that one of the big reasons why Erfworld is in an infinite cycle of war is that, in order for a side to maintain a large enough army to defend itself from its neighbors, that side also has to attack its neighbors to gain schmuckers, since none of the sides we've seen can produce enough schmuckers on their own. Thus, an effective defense necessitates an effective offense. But in this case, the four sides can maintain half size armies and thereby remain self-sufficient, but collectively have a large enough force to fend off attackers.
Knight13

Postby victor227 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:30 am

Yep, if there's one rule we've learned so far, it's that aggression is the key to safety. It's not just army size, but leveling. Warlords can train and level on their own, but it takes infinitely longer than going out and croaking things. To defend yourself you can't even be -idle-, you have to constantly be out there, leveling your warlords and casters and getting into fights. The main cost associated with a side is upkeep, so heck, at a certain point you need to be cycling through your popped units to keep from over... populating.... An active Chief Warlord like Ansom managed to hit level 10, twice that of Lord Crush. I can see why fear of external invasion could drive the So-Be-It Union to treachery, or even just the drive to improve and see bigger numbers.
victor227

Postby Beeskee » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:55 am

It's an interesting side story, though I really do hope we learn how the sides featured here are connected or related to the sides we already know of.
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Dystopianman » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:05 am

Beeskee wrote:It's an interesting side story, though I really do hope we learn how the sides featured here are connected or related to the sides we already know of.

Tramennis and Jetstone culture were first introduced in updates like this. You're looking at the future, Beeskee.
This is strategy. First...you have a goal. Then, you list objectives in support of that goal, in order of importance. Then, you weigh the costs and accomplish the most you can, however you can. Without even fighting, if possible!
Dystopianman

Postby NYbear » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:20 am

victor227 wrote: The main cost associated with a side is upkeep, so heck, at a certain point you need to be cycling through your popped units to keep from over... populating....

Actually, I'm not sure if this is new information or not, but this update also tells us that sides can pop less than their maximum amount of units (as required by the So-be-it Union contract). Therefore a side is never really in danger of overpopulation, since they can always scale back production.

As you said at the beginning of your post, aggression is needed not only for more income, but to level your troops for appropriate defense. You could scale back popping to maintenance levels and never worry about overpopulation, but if you aren't out there fighting and leveling, you are left with a force of lower level units that don't put up as strong a defense.
NYbear

Postby Lamech » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:00 am

You can grind via training or possibly even executions. I mean, hell their chief warlord is only level 5, and Artemis trained up to seven?
Lamech

Postby drachefly » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:02 am

They could have scheduled limited wars to train up. Of course that would be terrible, but it would also be dangerous. Unless they did it so:

All production is to be set to non-speaking beasts, which are then sent one at a time to attack their allies' strongest defenses. That way the allies get to train up a bit faster than simply using training.

But I can see why they might not have been able to hash that out.

Very interesting that there is no compulsion to pop.
drachefly

Postby Toper » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:20 am

drachefly wrote:They could have scheduled limited wars to train up. Of course that would be terrible, but it would also be dangerous. Unless they did it so:

All production is to be set to non-speaking beasts, which are then sent one at a time to attack their allies' strongest defenses. That way the allies get to train up a bit faster than simply using training.

But I can see why they might not have been able to hash that out.

It seems like that would likely auto-break the alliance.
Toper
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:24 am

NYbear wrote:
victor227 wrote: The main cost associated with a side is upkeep, so heck, at a certain point you need to be cycling through your popped units to keep from over... populating....

Actually, I'm not sure if this is new information or not, but this update also tells us that sides can pop less than their maximum amount of units (as required by the So-be-it Union contract). Therefore a side is never really in danger of overpopulation, since they can always scale back production.

As you said at the beginning of your post, aggression is needed not only for more income, but to level your troops for appropriate defense. You could scale back popping to maintenance levels and never worry about overpopulation, but if you aren't out there fighting and leveling, you are left with a force of lower level units that don't put up as strong a defense.

I think as units level, their upkeep rises. So if they train up, but don't go out and conquest, eventually they will have a shortage of smuckers, as they have no new income coming in. I think it unlikely the smuckers produced by cities would be enough to support a standing army. Faq couldn't manage it, needing to send Jillian out on merc contracts, though that example is far from perfect due to the number of casters on the side.
Lipkin

Next

Return to Reactions