Lord Crush - Part 1

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Lord Crush - Part 1

Postby drachefly » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:12 pm

At the VERY least you want a high-level chief warlord. It'd make any emergency/replacement units you pop far more effective right out of the gate.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby No one in particular » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:43 pm

Yeah, you really want high-level specialty units; ones that give bonuses.

Like we saw with Caesar and the doombats, one unit with good levels and bonuses can turn a bunch of nothings into nightmares.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby cheeseaholic » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:12 am

Lipkin wrote:I wonder if climate has an impact on units. Goodminton was a winter territory, and the Signamancy of the outfits reflected that. If a side wanted to attack a snowy hex, would they need to trade for winter gear to keep from freezing to death?

He's there to sell them items that allow water units to survive in the desert, therefore allowing them the Pikemen natural allies.

*adujusts tinfoil*
cheeseaholic

Postby Lipkin » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:35 am

Lilwik wrote:
name lips wrote:I'm betting that Banhammer is somehow related to this crowd. We don't have any clue where he came from, and he has an internet-forum related name just like they do.
That's very interesting, and I believe it, especially considering Firstpost's peaceful ways. Perhaps that observation represents a huge spoiler about where this is all going. Banhammer is royal, and we can assume he's a member of Firstpost (or will be), but not the ruler of Firstpost. Since Crush is chief warlord he's also probably the heir. Given all that, I think I know how Crush will respond to this offer, and certain details of what will happen to Firstpost after that. I think those things are better left unspoken. I'm tempted to bet on them, but I doubt anyone would bet against them.

I'd bet against a number of those things.
Lipkin

Postby Orzel » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:45 am

Does this mean half strength (in numbers and levels) relative to income to upkeep is the most a side can run without actively fighting? So a side with an amount of smuckers income who had unit upkeep of the same amount would have about half the forces of a side with the same base city income but is supplementing their treasury with the occasional razed city.

So basically to "peace out" with the world and have an army to defend against everyone, you must have more than four times the incomes of every other side combined. Ouch.
Orzel

Postby Jabberwocky » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:58 am

Lamech wrote:You can grind via training or possibly even executions. I mean, hell their chief warlord is only level 5, and Artemis trained up to seven?

Hunting. Send your units out to deal with random mobs, such as the dreaded Snookimonster.
Jabberwocky

Postby Ambug666 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:12 am

I wonder if Lord Crush's first name is Candy, and this is the start of the Candy Crush Saga?
Ambug666

Postby Dystopianman » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:22 am

Maybe its Crush orange soda! That stuff is pretty good.
This is strategy. First...you have a goal. Then, you list objectives in support of that goal, in order of importance. Then, you weigh the costs and accomplish the most you can, however you can. Without even fighting, if possible!
Dystopianman

Postby drachefly » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:23 am

I assumed he was orange.

eta: Ninjas!
drachefly

Postby Vreejack » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:06 pm

I was wondering if they were both colored orange.

Crush and Snooki.
So...Watashi wa mizugorō ga sukina koto o kiita, neh?
A Prediction is what would have happened had there been no Prediction. What is scary is that they are also what will happen in spite of the Prediction.
Vreejack

Postby multilis » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:21 pm

Orzel wrote:Does this mean half strength (in numbers and levels) relative to income to upkeep is the most a side can run without actively fighting? .

It is not that simple in games similar to erfworld. There are lots of different strategies, depends on cities, terrain, neighbours, etc.

Some units cost more to begin with and some have more upkeep after.

Some sides plunder more than others.

Having only 1/2 army may allow long term growth advantages, for example upgrading cities. If you are at war, better to spend on army to capture the city the enemy has upgraded then to upgrade yours. If you have peace then better to get more income and defensive advantage. If you horde shmuckers in peace for 100 turns, you can field 3x the army during war for 20 turns. (Crank out cheap to produce but high upkeep army, and hire mercenaries)
multilis

Postby the_tick_rules » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:02 pm

Which time is crush set in? I guess we'll have to wait and see where this story fits in.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby bladestorm » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:17 pm

Lilwik wrote:
name lips wrote:I'm betting that Banhammer is somehow related to this crowd. We don't have any clue where he came from, and he has an internet-forum related name just like they do.
That's very interesting, and I believe it, especially considering Firstpost's peaceful ways. Perhaps that observation represents a huge spoiler about where this is all going. Banhammer is royal, and we can assume he's a member of Firstpost (or will be), but not the ruler of Firstpost. Since Crush is chief warlord he's also probably the heir. Given all that, I think I know how Crush will respond to this offer, and certain details of what will happen to Firstpost after that. I think those things are better left unspoken. I'm tempted to bet on them, but I doubt anyone would bet against them.

Bet away. Some people have more quatloo than sense.
bladestorm

Postby MonteCristo » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:57 pm

No one in particular wrote:
Jacinth and Rubies wrote:woah, woah, WOAH. King Scrofula wants to replace his son with Crush? crikey, this sitch is not going to end well.

Who said anything about replacing Axe? Scrofula just wants Crush to join his side.

Its rather speculation, but not at all farfetched. I think the key point is that he gave Crush clothing that was tailored for a chief Warlord. He also pointed out that Axe falls quite short of the ideal for a chief warlord. Though he has not said so, it seems he is giving the heavy implication that he wants Crush to replace Axe as his chief warlord.

Frankly i think things for Squashcourt's side hasn't been quite the same since Prince Racket Croaked. Axe isn't like his brother; he's more of a warrior. Similar to what Crush has speculated, it could be that not King Scrofula, but Axe is getting ready for a war; he may not be able to order more units popped, but he can level up the units they do have. Could be that Scrofula thinks that Axe might push the side in a bad direction or make a stupid and rash military action against the union... He wants a chief warlord like his elder son; someone who is more scholar and less warrior. He hasn't found such a unit amongst his own forces, but he may believe that Crush could fit Racket's boots quite nicely

Lilwik wrote:

Eh, not so sure about Crush being heir... afterall, he's been referred to as "Lord Crush", and not "Prince Crush". It could be that the heir to Firstpost is their chief Caster
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Thydron » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:45 am

MonteCristo wrote:Eh, not so sure about Crush being heir... afterall, he's been referred to as "Lord Crush", and not "Prince Crush". It could be that the heir to Firstpost is their chief Caster

He does describe Queen Post as his mother though - I seem to remember that Wanda worked out that Jillian was royal when she described Banhamer as her father, so it looks like he's at least royal - seems odd that he's Lord not Prince given this though; Jetstone's showed that there can be multiple Princes at the same time with no problem.
Thydron
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:19 pm

Thydron wrote:I seem to remember that Wanda worked out that Jillian was royal when she described Banhammer as her father
I think you may be misremembering the details, if I have it correct that you're trying to remember Book 0, Episode 43:
Jillian: "Until I return, you will be lectured on etiquette by your father."
Wanda: "That is interesting. You have a father. Are you an heir?"
Lilwik

Postby Xarx » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:49 pm

He would be a prince if he'd popped at the capital; satellite cities of royal sides pop nobles. If I m remembering correctly.
Xarx

Postby Lilwik » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:44 am

Xarx wrote:He would be a prince if he'd popped at the capital; satellite cities of royal sides pop nobles. If I m remembering correctly.
I'm pretty sure that originated in the forums and has never been confirmed. It's interesting speculation and it's possible that royal units must pop in the capital, but if that is true then I would expect it to mean that the units that pop in other cities don't consider the ruler their father or mother. We've never seen a clear explanation of what makes a father or mother and I wish that would be explained, but until it is I'm going to strongly suspect that if a unit's father or mother is royal then the unit must also be royal. It would be strange even by Erfworld standards if Crush weren't a prince while the queen is his mother. What more does someone need to qualify for the title of Prince?

On the other hand, it's strange that Prince Axe is more than once called "the Prince," as if he were the only prince around.
Lilwik

Postby Thydron » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:20 am

Lilwik wrote:I think you may be misremembering the details, if I have it correct that you're trying to remember Book 0, Episode 43:
Jillian: "Until I return, you will be lectured on etiquette by your father."
Wanda: "That is interesting. You have a father. Are you an heir?"

Ah, yeah, you're right - and Wanda had a father / brother without being royal, so it's not that.
Thydron

Postby Mikalyaran » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:02 pm

Lilwik wrote:
Xarx wrote:He would be a prince if he'd popped at the capital; satellite cities of royal sides pop nobles. If I m remembering correctly.
I'm pretty sure that originated in the forums and has never been confirmed. It's interesting speculation and it's possible that royal units must pop in the capital, but if that is true then I would expect it to mean that the units that pop in other cities don't consider the ruler their father or mother. We've never seen a clear explanation of what makes a father or mother and I wish that would be explained, but until it is I'm going to strongly suspect that if a unit's father or mother is royal then the unit must also be royal. It would be strange even by Erfworld standards if Crush weren't a prince while the queen is his mother. What more does someone need to qualify for the title of Prince?

On the other hand, it's strange that Prince Axe is more than once called "the Prince," as if he were the only prince around.

This information is given in the Hardback edition for book 1. Said book has a glossary. I don't have it on hand right now but I'll try and remember to get it out when I get home and check the exact definition. But as I recall it say that Royals pop in the capital of a royal side and other cities controlled by a royal side pop noble warlords.
Mikalyaran

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions