Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby Lamech » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:57 pm

0beron wrote:Link Wanda, Maggie, and Marie. Predict when a unit will die, or more importantly, "kill" their future. Either croaking them on the spot, or freeing them from whatever Fate they had been bound to.
Killing them on the spot could be done with a lookamancer/findamancer/thinkamancer link. Summon them ala perfect warlord.Then disband them. Parson already has a thinkamancer, and a lookamancer. Now he just needs to find a findamancer!
Lamech
 
Posts: 1450
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:23 am

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby Lilwik » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:43 pm

Lamech wrote:Killing them on the spot could be done with a lookamancer/findamancer/thinkamancer link. Summon them ala perfect warlord.Then disband them. Parson already has a thinkamancer, and a lookamancer. Now he just needs to find a findamancer!
Shouldn't that be a Turnamancer/Findamancer/Thinkamancer? I don't see what Lookamancy would contribute to that plan, and surely Findamancy can't summon an enemy unit so that he's instantly on your side. That would make Findamancy unbelievably overpowered, but it becomes more believable if the Findamancer had the assistance of a Turnamancer.
Lilwik
 
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby Lamech » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:17 pm

Lilwik wrote:
Lamech wrote:Killing them on the spot could be done with a lookamancer/findamancer/thinkamancer link. Summon them ala perfect warlord.Then disband them. Parson already has a thinkamancer, and a lookamancer. Now he just needs to find a findamancer!
Shouldn't that be a Turnamancer/Findamancer/Thinkamancer? I don't see what Lookamancy would contribute to that plan, and surely Findamancy can't summon an enemy unit so that he's instantly on your side. That would make Findamancy unbelievably overpowered, but it becomes more believable if the Findamancer had the assistance of a Turnamancer.

We've already seen this in action. The Summon Perfect Warlord, takes a unit, from anywhere in existence, directly too you and binds him to obey all orders and switches him to your side. It was the very first spell we've seen cast. Its kind of the entire premise of Erfworld.
Lamech
 
Posts: 1450
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:23 am

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby wih » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:18 pm

Parson didn't previously have an affiliation to any side; this might not work against a unit that has a side.
wih
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:07 am

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby Tonot » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:38 am

wih wrote:Parson didn't previously have an affiliation to any side; this might not work against a unit that has a side.



Umm, he did have an affiliation to a side. Kinkos was his employer, he "kinda" liked the other employees there, that sort of counts as a "side" as far as Stupidworlders have sides.


He just wasn't very loyal to his "side" , his sides Warlords have notoriously lacked charisma. :P http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FedEx_Office

So, maybe you could take units that don't have a good side?.

Anyway, the spell was represented as point blank going to summon "The Perfect Warlord" and I suggest that this would be someone who was certainly in a side, and a side that valued him highly.
Tonot
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:06 am

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby wih » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:44 am

Assuming you were serious in what you said, I don't think it's reasonable to assume that Erfworld mechanics apply to Stupidworld. Analogies made by Parson to compare the two aren't to be taken literally. His city didn't literally pop fratboys. He most likely was not a part of any side, and probably wasn't even considered a barbarian by Erfworld mechanics.
wih
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:07 am

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby Lipkin » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:56 am

Being that the spell could select a warlord from anywhere, I think it's reasonable to figure that if the perfect warlord existed on Erf, it would be able to summon that warlord and force it to join the side. Wanda did say "anywhere" which includes Erf.

But if I remember correctly, one of Stanley's stipulations was that the warlord needed to want to be summoned. Probably smart, which is surprising, given the source.
User avatar
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 1061
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:36 am

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby Lilwik » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:44 am

Lipkin wrote:Being that the spell could select a warlord from anywhere, I think it's reasonable to figure that if the perfect warlord existed on Erf, it would be able to summon that warlord and force it to join the side. Wanda did say "anywhere" which includes Erf.
I think it probably went without saying that the perfect warlord meant someone who would serve Gobwin Knob loyally, as opposed to a warlord who has all the skills of a perfect warlord but actually wants Jetstone to win. Even a warlord with high morale who is forced to obey Stanley doesn't necessarily really want Gobwin Knob to win in the end, so I expect that only those warlords who really would work for Gobwin Knob's ultimate victory were candidates for the summoning. If true that would mean that only people from another world who had no side and people who were dissatisfied with their current side and happy to turn would be summonable. I imagine that Erfworld has plenty of terrible rulers who have warlords that would be happy to serve a different side.

The only alternative to that limitation seems to be that Findamancy is a kind of super-Turnamancy that not only turns people better than Turnamancy but also zaps people bodily from one side to another, so you don't even need to capture a unit before you turn it. If Findamancy could do that, then I think we would have heard of it. As it is, all that we've seen Findamancy do is zap Parson to Erfworld and help Wanda discover where she misplaced some shoes. I can't bring myself to attribute vast additional powers to Findamancy until we see some explicit signs of it.
Last edited by Lilwik on Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lilwik
 
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby Lamech » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:59 pm

Lilwik wrote:The only alternative to that limitation seems to be that Findamancy is a kind of super-Turnamancy that not only turns people better than Turnamancy but also zaps people bodily from one side to another, so you don't even need to capture a unit before you turn it. If Findamancy could do that, then I think we would have heard of it. As it is, all that we've seen Findamancy do is zap Parson to Erfworld and help Wanda discover where she misplaced some shoes. I can't bring myself to attribute vast additional powers to Findamancy until we see some explicit signs of it.

Findamancy only located an arkentool, and Summoned the perfect warlord from another universe and made him serve Gobwin Knob. More to the point a trilink isn't just findamancy, its a trilink. Hell, the summon perfect warlord spell (or something similar) has already been used to assassinate people outright!
Lamech
 
Posts: 1450
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:23 am

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby Lilwik » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:29 pm

Lamech wrote:Hell, the summon perfect warlord spell (or something similar) has already been used to assassinate people outright!
You're talking about Book 0, Episode 66:
Wanda: "In fact, Bell of Easteros was croaked on the spot as an immediate effect of the summoning process."
Wanda gives us very little information about how that happened. If Bell died in the safety of the garrison of her own capital then how would anyone in Efbaum or Haffaton know what happened to her? Even if that was what happened it couldn't have been a planned effect. Given how critical rulers are to their sides, a spell that can reach out and croak rulers from a distance would never stop being used.

Instead, I imagine that Bell somehow knew about the summoning and how it might turn the war against her. I imagine she lead fliers into the Efbaum airspace in an attempt to croak or capture one of the casters or otherwise interfere with the spell. I'd guess she was there in person because she wouldn't trust her chief warlord to know about magic. Even though it wasn't his turn, I guess The Wizard decided he'd better go ahead with the summoning since it might be his last chance to do it. So then Bell would have invaded the tower, found the spell in progress, did something to try to stop the summoning, and instead got croaked somehow when the spell succeeded. That way everyone would know exactly what croaked Bell, and at the same time no one would try to use that as a strategy for killing rulers.
Lilwik
 
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby Octavian » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:07 pm

Lilwik wrote:
Lamech wrote:Wanda: "In fact, Bell of Easteros was croaked on the spot as an immediate effect of the summoning process."


Unless we hear otherwise, one should assume Bell was smushed into ruler slime by a small Kansas home while accosting a tribe of small, natural rhyme-o-mancers. :D
Octavian
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 10:25 pm

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby Tonot » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:45 am

Octavian wrote:
Lilwik wrote:
Lamech wrote:Wanda: "In fact, Bell of Easteros was croaked on the spot as an immediate effect of the summoning process."


Unless we hear otherwise, one should assume Bell was smushed into ruler slime by a small Kansas home while accosting a tribe of small, natural rhyme-o-mancers. :D


Now, where is the Titans-damned plus-vote button, so I can mash it furiously for this post. :lol: :lol:

Seriously, dude, I am SO ENVIOUS that you wrote that. Well done you!.
Tonot
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:06 am

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby Arky » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:59 am

Octavian wrote:
Lilwik wrote:
Lamech wrote:Wanda: "In fact, Bell of Easteros was croaked on the spot as an immediate effect of the summoning process."


Unless we hear otherwise, one should assume Bell was smushed into ruler slime by a small Kansas home while accosting a tribe of small, natural rhyme-o-mancers. :D


Or at least while accosting a group of chanting casters launching the "summon perfect warlord" spell, only they hadn't got it quite tuned yet and pulled not only the warlord but her entire house onto the spot... well, that or the Stanley equivalent (Overlord Doothis?) said at a critical time "I don't just want the perfect Warlord, I want his or her entire House to join me!".
Arky
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:59 pm

Previous

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 4 guests