By the G-Strings…. (Universe Theory)

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

By the G-Strings…. (Universe Theory)

Postby Falcon X » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:45 pm

This is a multifaceted theory, so feel free to poke holes in my idea or steal parts of it for your own.
My Goals will be:
A. Define the meta-plane known as “The Firmament”
B. Theorize about Parson’s G-String.
C. Some amateur Predictamancy about Parson.
D. State my theory of the Arkentools.

Note: My "In Brief" statements are the core points I'm trying to get across. The spoiler statements are loose explanations of those and may need refining.

A. The Firmament, Erf Axis, and G-Strings:
Spoiler: show
Lilwik posted a thread a while back analyzing the statement in Book 0, Episode 1 (http://www.erfworld.com/2011/10/inner-peace-through-superior-firepower-episode-001/)
This thread was being drawn up by the system of the world. Thinkamancers knew it as a "Grandiocosmic string." Its numbers were being shaped and guided by the firmament, by what magic theorists called the Erf Axis.

Here were my conclusions:
1. Grammatically, it would be most correct that "by the firmament" and "by what magic theorists called the Erf Axis" are restatements of each other. Therefore, the Erf Axis is a type of firmament.
- Perhaps, just as there are X, Y, and Z axises (Length, Width, and Depth) in our world, the three axises of Numbers, Fate, and Erf co-exist in a similar manner on Erfworld. Thus, something could be measured as 3 points down the Erf axis, 5 down the Numbers axis, and 100 down the Fate.
- If there is an equation for every piece of matter on the grid, a person's g-string might follow a particular pattern. For example, a parabola. A person's Number might breach the Numbers axis at points -8 and +8, thus providing balance, while hitting the Erf and Fate axises somewhere else.

Conclusion on 1: If Erf, Numbers, and Fate are treated visually as axises, in the same way as Length, Width, and Depth, then we are creating a SINGLE SPHERE of mystical, and somewhat tangible space. That fits the understood definition of firmament.
Thus, it would be implied that a unit's G-String follows a path through the firmament, likely something like an ellipsis or parabola, and that the Erf-Axis is the "smart one" that moves the string to it's proper place in the firmament.

2. The theory exists that each axis represents a different part of the gaming table, and that the beginning of Episode 1 is a metaphor of a gamer creating a PC.
- If that is the case, than the Erf-axis must represent the Players/GM due to how it manipulates the world. Numbers would represent the Rulebook, and Fate, the Dice.
- The Firmament is everything not on the game table. It is the intangible space in which rules, ideas, die rolls, and other things collide.
Pictures of firmament:The Firmament as a whole: http://people.sc.fsu.edu/~jburkardt/m_s ... f1_xyz.png
A better visual of the firmament: http://ej.iop.org/images/0957-0233/21/4 ... 8fig05.jpg
What a Unit's g-string looks like, with x=Numbers, y=Fate, and Erf not being shown due to unshown z-axis. http://www.nabla.hr/TranslQuadr.gif
In brief, there is a meta-plane to Erfword that we know only as "The Firmament". The Firmament is technically the ether that surrounds this meta-plane, and the meta-plane is home to:
The Erf-Axis
The Numbers-Axis
The Fate-Axis
G-strings for every unit. The G-Strings intersect all 3 axises at some point.

G-Strings, Casters, and Portal Park:
G-String is Life: It is implied by Wanda’s Rhymamancy that killing someone is destroying their G-String.
http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F119.jpg
And of course, every unit has a G-String: http://www.erfworld.com/2011/01/book-2- ... dates-038/

Casters: Casters do their magic by manipulating G-strings in some way. For example, when Wanda blasts a Dwagon with a Shockamancy spell, all the damage we SEE is pure Signamancy. The real damage happened to the G-String. Wanda shot a blast out that directly put Non-Life energy into the Dwagons G-String.
- Perhaps Necromancy is the art of taking broken G-Strings and binding them to the caster.
- Perhaps Shockamancy is damaging G-Strings.
- Perhaps Carnymancy is moving G-Strings along the Axises.
- Perhaps Hat Magic is creating G-Strings between two objects
- Perhaps Eyemancers see G-strings, and can mess with Communicative matters between them
- Perhaps Hocus Pocus can only see the essence and meaning of G-Strings, but not manipulate them or see the G-Strings themselves.
- Perhaps Clevermancy allows the caster to, not change the balance of numbers, but change what G-Strings get the positive and which get the negative side of balances.
- Perhaps Stuffamancy doesn't effect G-strings, but only messes with matter.
- Perhaps Hippiemancy sees the connections between matter and g-strings.

Casters and Portal Park: The most logical statement about Portal Park would be that something is different about a caster’s G-String, thus allowing them to enter Portal Park.
My guess is that Portal Park is somewhere detached from the Firmament, thus only someone with some level of command over G-Strings can enter Portal Park. Otherwise, a unit would leave their G-String behind, effectively ripping their soul from their body.
In brief, G-strings are a person's life force. Physical damage is just Signamancy for damage done to a G-String.
Only someone with some level of command over their G-String can enter Portal Park.

B. Parson: Parson has no G-String.
He can enter Portal Park because there is nothing detached by going there.
He is also viewed as an Abomination to the casters who can see G-Strings (Eyemancers), because he is something that should not be.

Damage to Parson: Doesn’t actually happen. Much like in The Matrix, where Neo or Trinity’s bodies would take damage because their mind perceives it happening. Thus, Parson only sees the Signamancy of damage, believes he is taking damage, and his body reacts accordingly.

But isn’t Parson is still effected by other things?: Yes. While Magicians cannot manipulate his G-String, the universe does still effect him. His spirit is some kind of entity, like a god, that is among the ether and G-Strings in the Firmament, but not a part of them. He is the ghost in the machine.

Neither does Charlie: Neither does Charlie have a G-String…
In brief, Parson's G-String is either non-existent, or very different from normal (Ellipse instead of Parabola). And Charlie might be the same...

C. PARSON MUST DIE (Predictamancy):
Oh, what a glorious climax we would have. What I mean is, his body must die. Because when he does, all he has left is his spirit in the Firmament. then he awakens among the Firmament and sees the true nature of Erfworld.
Charlie must die too.
Then there is the final showdown in the Firmament between two gods. Or, as a twist, once they see it, they work together against the Titans themselves.

D. Arkentools:
All Arkentools are merely artifacts like Parson’s Bracer. The reason they are called Arkentools is because they are a set.
Ex. Labels: Arkenshoes (Arkentools 1 of 4), 3D Glasses (StupidMeal Toys 1 of 3)
All Arkentools are given by the Titans to manipulate the world and fix things. The Arkenshoes were given to Judy to balance the world that was being conquered. However, the Titans aren’t all-knowing and didn’t foresee what Olive would do with them.
Same with the Stupid Meal toys…

Stupid Meal: These are the Titan’s attempts to subdue the anomaly. It is an attempt to make him into a gamepiece. When Parson yells “I’M NOT A GAMEPIECE, I’M A PLAYER!”, this is a very literal statement even if he doesn’t know it.
The sword was making him a gamepiece.
The bracer was also making him a gamepiece. It almost caused him to warp out of Erfworld, removing the anomaly.
In brief, The arkentools are a set of artifacts used by the Titans to control the world. So are the Stupid World toys, but Parson isn't playing along.
Falcon X

Re: By the G-Strings…. (Universe Theory)

Postby Lilwik » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:11 pm

A very important reference for this subject is Book 2, Text 38 which is the update where we learn about Thinkamancy from Maggie's perspective. In that update G-strings seem to be the foundation upon which Thinkamancy is built, so it seems that it would be impossible for Parson to have no G-string. No G-string should mean no Thinkagrams. We also have to wonder why Maggie didn't mention anything about Parson's G-string if it really were very unusual, but that could be explained by G-strings being secret.

Another important reference is Book 2, Text 40. Perhaps any theory should take into account nodes and G-string vibrations somehow.
Lilwik

Postby 0beron » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:16 pm

A few problems I noticed right away.
  • Only Thinkamancers use G-Strings, there is no evidence or even hint that other casters are aware of/able to manipulate them. In fact, they are regarded as one of Thinkamancy's most valuable secrets. If other disciplines worked by manipulating them, sure Master Class casters of those disciplines would discover them.
  • Parson and Charlie both definitely DO have G-strings, because they can engage in Thinkagrams. Without strings, they would be immune to Thinkamancy.

EDIT: In an unprecedented event....I just got ninja'd by/agree with Lilwik....what is happening to the world? LOL :shock:
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:13 pm

0beron wrote:Only Thinkamancers use G-Strings, there is no evidence or even hint that other casters are aware of/able to manipulate them. In fact, they are regarded as one of Thinkamancy's most valuable secrets. If other disciplines worked by manipulating them, sure Master Class casters of those disciplines would discover them.
Book 2, Text 38 explicitly says that only Thinkamancers are aware of G-strings, but G-strings are still at the foundation of every discipline. "The most important of these was the ability to sense Grandiocosmic Strings, the conduits of all magic power in Erfworld." Since we are talking about all magical power, that means that other disciplines must be doing something like pushing magic through G-strings without being aware of the G-strings.

It seems quite fitting that Thinkamancers should be aware of things that other disciplines are oblivious to, since Thinkamancy is at the intersection of Eyemancy and the Fate axis. That position seems better suited than any other for seeing the deepest truths of Erfworld.
Lilwik

Postby 0beron » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:45 pm

Well for one, G-strings could very well be conduits, but sending magic along a G-string is not the same as manipulating one. Important distinction.

Second, we're hearing that from Maggie's perspective, and every caster is inherently biased towards their own discipline. Partly on a subconscious level because they understand others less, and partly on a conscious level because the bias seems like in ingrained thing. That's the whole basis of the endless MK debates Sizemore alludes to.

Third, how could any discipline be "better suited" to see the deepest truths? The different axes all are difference facets of magic, so in much the same way that the combination of elements make up a School, so too is each axis merely another component of things. The idea that being a Fate-axis discipline would make Thinkamancy "superior" in any way is ridiculous. Then add onto that the fact that Eyemancy only deals in 2 of the 3 Elements, and Thinkamancy looks even weaker.
In order to really want to understand magic and Erfworld and it's core "truths", one would have to attain Master class in every single discipline.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:28 am

0beron wrote:Third, how could any discipline be "better suited" to see the deepest truths?
I see where you are coming from and in a sense I agree. Certainly in order to have the full truth someone would need to fully understand every discipline, but just as certainly there are some disciplines which are better at accessing information than others. A Dittomancer can tell you many important things about Dittomancy, but that is nothing compared to the wealth of information that a Lookamancer would have access to. Not only can the Lookamancer tell you about Lookamancy, but also about everything that is happening within a radius of several hexes.

Lookamancy is clearly better at answering questions than Dittomancy, but Lookamancy still seems a bit too superficial for answering deep questions. I think that Predictamancy is better at answering deep questions than Lookamancy, because Predictamancy can tell you how the story is going to end. It's like looking into people's souls and discovering their ultimate destinations. I've noticed that there seems to be a vague pattern to the axes, where Erf is home to the disciplines of great power and simple, practical use, while Fate is home to the disciplines that are deeper and more strategic. So I say that it is fitting if Thinkamancy is the discipline with access to the deepest knowledge of Erfworld as it claims to be.

It's a bit like civil engineering and cosmology. You can't have a full understanding of the universe without understanding both, but one of them has access to deeper truths than the other.
Lilwik

Postby 0beron » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:17 am

You're looking at it from a very superficial level, thinking only of what the discipline DOES rather than HOW it does that. The secrets of the universe aren't something one can learn casting a spell, at least not these basic mechanics the theory discusses. It is an issue of understanding, not locating. Think of it like...physics for example. Anybody can throw a ball, but only someone who has studied the subject understands all the forces at work. Casting a spell is like throwing a ball, alone it's not going to teach you anything about the secrets of the world, you have to study and gain understanding in order to know that.

That's why Level and Class are different tracks, and Class specifically requires further insights and understanding of your discipline. Sizemore shows us that with the new ways he views the earth, and Wanda alludes to it in the way that as a Novice she lacked the understanding to make Uncroaked dance like she could as a Master. So to understand the universe as a whole, you'd need that Master-level understanding in all magics, and no spellcast is going to give you the same quality of "picture" that you'd get with such understanding.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:57 am

0beron wrote:Casting a spell is like throwing a ball, alone it's not going to teach you anything about the secrets of the world, you have to study and gain understanding in order to know that.
Some spells seem to be like that, especially in disciplines of Spookism, Stuffamancy, and Naughtymancy. Other spells seem more like telescopes that directly extend a caster's senses to things that would be invisible, especially in disciplines of Hocus Pocus and Eyemancy. In this case, Thinkamancy gives Thinkamancers the ability to sense G-strings. Thinkamancers don't know about G-strings because long study of Thinkamancy has revealed a hidden truth; to Thinkamancers the G-strings weren't hidden at all because they have magic that reveals them. "A Thinkamancer could feel out the G-Strings of the world, and vibrate upon them by plucking. That was how a Thinkagram was sent, and so much else."

Throwing a ball alone without study won't teach you anything about the secrets of the world, but looking through a microscope might. You can't learn everything that way; you can't get a complete picture, but you can find out what very small things look like, and that is important too.

0beron wrote:So to understand the universe as a whole, you'd need that Master-level understanding in all magics, and no spellcast is going to give you the same quality of "picture" that you'd get with such understanding.
Agreed. Some disciplines give you answers to the deep questions, some give you answers to the practical questions, and only all of them together and long, careful study can answer every question.
Lilwik

Postby Shai_hulud » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:39 am

I propose the fabric of the universe is made from G-strings made into textiles. Get it?
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Falcon X » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:54 pm

Lilwik wrote:A very important reference for this subject is Book 2, Text 38 which is the update where we learn about Thinkamancy from Maggie's perspective. In that update G-strings seem to be the foundation upon which Thinkamancy is built, so it seems that it would be impossible for Parson to have no G-string. No G-string should mean no Thinkagrams. We also have to wonder why Maggie didn't mention anything about Parson's G-string if it really were very unusual, but that could be explained by G-strings being secret.

Another important reference is Book 2, Text 40. Perhaps any theory should take into account nodes and G-string vibrations somehow.

Yeah, you definitely blew my points B and C out of the water. I retract that. Though, I still propose that there might be something different about his G-String that we don't know.

That still leaves proposals A and D on the table. You guys have been talking about if magic effects G-strings, but nothing conclusive. Here's my thought:
- Signamancy. Signamancy is huge and everywhere. What if everything the units see is Signamancy. It's like in The Matrix. The people in the matrix can't see the code that makes up their bodies. But if they are shot in the matrix, their code is influenced, and all the units see is the illusion of Signamancy.
EVERYTHING a unit sees is Signamancy. Who they are is in their G-String.
- Or better, G-Strings ARE the Life element. Everything a unit sees about another unit with LIFE is Signamancy. Erfworld does have physical terrain, buildings, and Dollamancy with no Life that also have no G-Strings.
That is why Stuffamancy, Spookism, and Naughtymancy all don't have access to the Life Element. Because they all only manipulate Matter and Motion, not G-strings. now, Naughtymancy is tough to say that about, but Shockamancy only destroys Life, not manipulate it. And Croakamancy only animates dead bodies rather than gives them Life.

Shai_hulud wrote:I propose the fabric of the universe is made from G-strings made into textiles. Get it?

As much as that bad joke made me want to stab myself in the eye, it's the exact thing Rob would put into Erfworld.
IDK, maybe the Titans want everyone to continue killing each other so they can make a quilt out of their dead G-String husks.
Falcon X

Postby Lilwik » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:43 pm

Falcon X wrote:Signamancy. Signamancy is huge and everywhere. What if everything the units see is Signamancy. It's like in The Matrix. The people in the matrix can't see the code that makes up their bodies. But if they are shot in the matrix, their code is influenced, and all the units see is the illusion of Signamancy.
Illusion makes me think of Foolamancy, not Signamancy. Perhaps a relevant page is Book 0, Text 31, not that I can see any solid conclusions coming out of it.

Falcon X wrote:Or better, G-Strings ARE the Life element. Everything a unit sees about another unit with LIFE is Signamancy. Erfworld does have physical terrain, buildings, and Dollamancy with no Life that also have no G-Strings.
G-Strings are the conduits of all magical power in Erfworld. Surely that means that without G-Strings there is no magic, which should rule out golems without G-Strings. Surely even dirt should have G-Strings, to make Dirtamancy possible.

Falcon X wrote:That is why Stuffamancy, Spookism, and Naughtymancy all don't have access to the Life Element. Because they all only manipulate Matter and Motion, not G-strings. now, Naughtymancy is tough to say that about, but Shockamancy only destroys Life, not manipulate it. And Croakamancy only animates dead bodies rather than gives them Life.
Similarly I have noticed that the Life element seems to be connected to the observational power of a discipline. The discplines without the Life element tend to be the blind disciplines: Spookism, Stuffamancy, Naughtymancy, Clevermancy. Those disciplines grant certain senses, since a Croakamancer can sense the bodies she is working with and a Dirtamancer can sense the dirt he is shaping, but that's not much compared to disciplines like Lookamancy, Thinkamancy, Predictamancy, Signamancy, and Findamancy. All of the disciplines that reveal things as part of their specialty have the Life element. I'm not sure what that means, but I'm sure it means something.
Lilwik

Postby Falcon X » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:35 pm

Lilwik wrote:Illusion makes me think of Foolamancy, not Signamancy. Perhaps a relevant page is Book 0, Text 31, not that I can see any solid conclusions coming out of it.

Illusion might be too strong of a word. But it is apparent from the physical changes we have seen Wanda and Jillian undergo that a person’s Signamancy is pervasive in the entirety of the way a person looks.
Signamancy, it seems, always must reflect the nature of what it shows. Foolamancy is different because it does not accurately reflect the nature of what it shows.
- As for page 31, it seems to give credibility to my statements. The Moneymancer INSISTS that damage and healing is all numbers. Thus, a person’s Signamancy must only be a reflection of these numbers.
The initial question of the Healomancer implies that the damage might not truly be physical, and what we see is the Illusion? Once again, “Illusion” was too strong of a word, but “Signamancy” might not have been.

Lilwik wrote:G-Strings are the conduits of all magical power in Erfworld. Surely that means that without G-Strings there is no magic, which should rule out golems without G-Strings. Surely even dirt should have G-Strings, to make Dirtamancy possible.
That is actually a very astute statement. My only possible counter for it is to say that when a Dirtamancer, or Croakamancer, or Dollamancer makes a golem, they might be creating an ad-hock G-String that only goes between the caster and the golem.
Though, you might instantly disprove this if you find an instant of a golem continuing on after the caster died.
Falcon X

Postby Lilwik » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:50 pm

Falcon X wrote:Though, you might instantly disprove this if you find an instant of a golem continuing on after the caster died.
That brings to mind Book 0, Episode 56, an excellent source for deep questions about magic. Maxwell the Thinkamancer and Barton the Dollamancer are both dead at that point, but the golems still go on. They lost the quality of Life when Maxwell died, but golems don't usually have that quality.
Lilwik

Postby Shai_hulud » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:28 am

Falcon X wrote:As much as that bad joke made me want to stab myself in the eye, it's the exact thing Rob would put into Erfworld.

Do it! Then you can join the GMtTA's multi-level marketing business!
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Falcon X » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:13 pm

Lilwik wrote:
Falcon X wrote:Though, you might instantly disprove this if you find an instant of a golem continuing on after the caster died.
That brings to mind Book 0, Episode 56, an excellent source for deep questions about magic. Maxwell the Thinkamancer and Barton the Dollamancer are both dead at that point, but the golems still go on. They lost the quality of Life when Maxwell died, but golems don't usually have that quality.

And there it is. It's pretty hard to say golems don't have G-Strings of some sort if a Warlord or Caster can issue orders to it from afar. That mostly rules out G-Strings=Life unless someone has evidence we aren't thinking of?
- I think there is further evidence that G-Strings are much bigger than just life on LIAB Text 40. Though it doesn't say it directly, it seems to imply that G-Strings aren't just connected to units.

"This one was modeled on a gwiffon, made of Thinkamancy-polarized Stuff and imprinted with Signamancy in bright yellow."
- LIAB Text 40
This does seem to reinforce the idea that all matter is Stuff, but the way it looks is Signamancy.
- However, I would like to know on what grounds the Wiki writer said that appearance is Foolamancy. I always assumed that Foolamancy was essentially a lie, covering up Signamancy. http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Stuff
Falcon X

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:55 pm

Intermmision 37, here:
The Signs were all over her. It was interesting to see. Her hair was just a little longer every turn. Her cheeks were just a bit rounder. She was losing muscle tone, but acquiring a grace in her posture.

It gave Vinny some hope that she wouldn't croak him when she understood what he was asking.

He'd never actually seen anyone before and after they became a Ruler. Like anything, it changed you. The Signamancers claimed that all Stuff was Foolamancy. Our bodies and all the things we see and touch were supposed to only be Signs: symbols of their true nature. Vinny didn't know about all that, but a person's appearance was definitely a Sign. It told you how they think about themselves. And how others see them.

Nothing changes those things so suddenly and drastically as taking the throne. She was fighting it. She was denying it. But Queen Jillian was becoming more mature, more of a monarch every day. Can't hide the Signs.
Relevant section colored blue.

This is from a warlord though, about a caster class that might be awfully flaky. It's hard to say how much is true, and how much is people in the magic kingdom being Banhammer/Faq levels of full of crap.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:06 pm

As I alluded to above, we always have to be a little careful accepting what casters say about broad generalizations of the universe. In exactly the same way stupidworld philosophers, scientists, and theologians have varying theories about the nature of the universe, so too do casters. They all have their own reasons to think that way, and even as outsiders to the system we have little basis to verify or refute these positions. Not arguing against you (or anyone) persay Shai, just saying that I basically don't trust ANY single unit to tell us an accurate truth about the universe.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Shai_hulud » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:51 pm

That... was what I said yeah. That is to say, he asked where the source for that part of the wiki is since a lot isn't sourced. He didn't ask if it was true.

On golems having G-strings, keep in mind that there is polarized stuff, and therefore by definition a form of matter that interacts with Cosmibrations™. For all we know, the Cosmibrations™ are like Aether waves, and there is a crystal radio inside the golems head that absorbs Cosmibrations™ instead of deflecting them like a mirror.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Return to Everything Else Erfworld