Comic Reading Order

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Comic Reading Order

Postby 0beron » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:48 pm

So for those of us who have been following the comic for a long time, we don't really have much choice in how we read it, since we just take it in whatever order it comes out in. But for new fans joining, how should we instruct them to read it? Should they follow chronological order in the story, or the order things were published? For example, most people recommend reading Chronicals of Narnia by starting with Lion Witch & the Wardrobe even though it's the second book, then going back to read Magician's Nephew last, even though it's chronologically book 1.

My thinking is it should be read like this:
  1. Book 1
  2. Summer Updates 2009
  3. Book 2 Issue 1
  4. Book 0 Issue 1
  5. Book 2 Issue 2
  6. Book 0 Issue 2
  7. Book 2 Issue 3
  8. Winter Break 2014
I suppose one could also read it in their publish order, the way they came out on the website jumping back and forth between Book 2 and Book 0, but that might be confusing for some readers (Also the archive isn't really set up that way from what I can see). I'd love to hear others' opinions or even hopefully Rob's suggestion since it is his story after all and he might have an idea.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Re: Comic Reading Order

Postby drachefly » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:36 pm

Magician's Nephew last? Only if you're going to drop the Last Battle altogether, I think.

I prefer to read it in publication order:
LW&W, PC, VotDT, tSC, aHahB, tMN, tLB
ETA: Though historically speaking, I liked the cover on Prince Caspian better, so I read that first. I had no idea what was going on, so then I went back and started at the beginning. This was a bad idea.

Also, Machete order is definitely the best way to see Star Wars if you're going to touch the prequels at all.

As for Erf, I think Book 1, Book 0, Summer updates, Book 2, Winter Break.

I think Book 0 issue 2 helps inform a number of events during the summer updates.
Last edited by drachefly on Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:17 pm

I wish I could go back and read Book 0 as if I'd never ready Book 1, just to see what it would be like.

I think reading them starting with Book 0 will get even better once Book 0 is finished. Then I expect Book 0 will flow naturally into the start of Book 1. I'm expecting that Part 3 will jump ahead to near the end of Banhammer's Faq and tell the story of Wanda's transition to Gobwin Knob and Jillian's transition to barbarian, perfectly setting the stage for Parson's arrival. I also think that reading about Judy before you find out about Parson would make the whole business of summoning Parson more exciting because we'd recognize that summoning a warlord can have huge consequences. Reading about Judy before Parson turns Judy into foreshadowing for Parson instead of merely being an echo.
Lilwik

Postby 0beron » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:34 pm

I'm going to ignore the skinny little bar denoting that there has been a post from someone who must like to waste their time, since they know I don't care about their opinion. But Drache you have an interesting idea.

What exactly do you think that's mysterious in Summer Updates that Book 0 would help out? Stuff with Jillian? I feel like the thing with Book 0 is that you generally know how it ends. You know who lives. So I think it's made more enjoyable for the fact that you get to see how people became the way they are. Jillian's fit with Transylvito is amusing all by itself IMO, and then adds some humor later when you see how she came to feel that way.

More importantly though, do you feel that there are things in Book 2 that get a bit spoiled if you know everything from Book 0? Like Charlie being a Carny.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:22 pm

0beron wrote:More importantly though, do you feel that there are things in Book 2 that get a bit spoiled if you know everything from Book 0? Like Charlie being a Carny.
I don't think that Charlie being a Carny is important. It's not really a twist. On the other hand, I agree that Book 0 is probably better if you already know who Charlie is.
Spoiler: show
Book 0 doesn't do a bad job of establishing Charlie, but discovering that Charlie is The Wizard and Olive's father is surely a much more exciting after reading Book 1. Reading about Charlie in Book 0 would probably just seem like a straight-forward telling of his story if you hadn't read Book 1, but if you have read Book 1 then Charlie's connection to Haffaton would be far more unexpected.
Lilwik

Postby Jatopian » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:16 pm

I'm trying to think of a reason that Book 0 can't or shouldn't wait until after Book 2 and the winter break thing, but I'm coming up empty. Which is probably good, because it's a lot simpler to tell someone to take a detour between books than in the middle of a particular book.

...although it would be best if people didn't need unofficial recommendations for this sort of thing.
Jatopian

Postby 0beron » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:06 am

Well my thinking on it is that as we have been reading Books 0 and 2 at the same time, there have been some nice tie-overs that link the stories, and because the different issues of a book neatly divide the action in some way, I don't feel like alternating is that hard so long as you do it between issues.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby GWvsJohn » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:20 am

I think the ideal way would be in the published order. I remember quite a few jokes/reveals that played well between book 0 and 2. That's probably a little difficult in practice. For a new reader I agree with drache's order

1, 0, Summer, 2, Winter
GWvsJohn

Postby drachefly » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:53 pm

0beron wrote:I'm going to ignore the skinny little bar denoting that there has been a post from someone who must like to waste their time, since they know I don't care about their opinion. But Drache you have an interesting idea.

Well, this time the post in question was fine.
drachefly

Postby 0beron » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:58 pm

Hmmmm, right you are. I disagree with both the opinion and the logic behind it, but it's a totally fair stance.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby mortissimus » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:10 pm

GWvsJohn wrote:1, 0, Summer, 2, Winter

I think I would go with 1, Summer, 0, 2, Winter. I feel the Summer updates are more of an epilogue to book 1 then anything else.

Or for those with limited patience for text: 1, Summer, 2, book 2 epilogues. And by then they should be so immersed that they will read book 0 and the stand-alones too, or there is something wrong with them.
mortissimus

Return to Everything Else Erfworld