Summer Update 28 Retcon

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Re: Summer Update 28 Retcon

Postby drachefly » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:20 pm

Okay, that's odd. I am somewhat at a loss.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Shai_hulud » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:55 pm

Not really. That line was written before the Summer 28 retcon, and was in a book that is canonically still a rough draft. One that's going to get a massive overhaul according to the writer. It could either change, or stay the same.

0beron wrote:But we did talk about that earlier on, forget if it was this thread or another one though.

Right, just wanted to continue it in this thread, since I brought it up in OP. Or do you think I should make a separate thread for Fabrication+Enchantment+Items, like my golem thread? Just seems like we've exhausted the Conjuration issue, included all possible links to relevant information. Everything now seems like it's just repeating.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:25 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:That line was written before the Summer 28 retcon, and was in a book that is canonically still a rough draft. One that's going to get a massive overhaul according to the writer. It could either change, or stay the same.
I remember something about Book 0 being a rough draft when Book 0 was still new. I've been looking through the news archive, but I haven't been able to find it yet. Does anyone remember where this was said? I'd like to take another look at it to check for hints about what sorts of changes should be expected.

My gut says that the changes are likely to be superficial things like the wording and pacing of descriptions and conversations. I would be surprised if Rob Balder was uncertain about the rules of magic in Erfworld. If those rules aren't carved in stone somewhere, it would seem to be inviting New Powers as the Plot Demands.
Lilwik

Postby Shai_hulud » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:30 pm

From the Word of Titans page:
Rob wrote:http://www.erfworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6402&sid=8874522e7988c1c731cd919b4f6098c8
I would look for the original news statement from the start for you, but I have about 2 weeks of math homework to get done in 3 hours, so...
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:30 am

Shai_hulud wrote:Right, just wanted to continue it in this thread, since I brought it up in OP. Or do you think I should make a separate thread for Fabrication+Enchantment+Items, like my golem thread?
Ah fair point. No I think it's ok to include here since it touches on a similar issue. I however have nothing new to offer cus I feel it's a pretty simple issue. The word "fabricate" has broad meanings, so I don't find it odd that the label applies to all those disciplines. Feel free to continue pondering it though, you might think of another angle I didn't consider.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:21 am

I imagined Fabricate was like KitBashing a model. Where you have a bunch of parts, and you slap them together to make something custom designed like Sizemore mentions with his golems. I guess what I was thinking of is something like that "Interlocking Array" mentioned in book 0 part 2. Where if you have a lightning Blaster, and you have a bottle of lighting, you could put straps on the bottle to make it a backpack item, and then wire it to the gun. Like how some games have two handed weapons that use up both slots? Only this custom item uses a hand and a back slot now that you've "linked" the sub items. So you build up the larger, actually quite complex Item from smaller, simpler Items. And huge scenery items like water wheels actually have to "interconnect" with the thing it's affecting. Like, with belt or gears, or having it generate Shockamancy power. Same with hooking the traps into the "sense and response array" of a city. I don't know. Just trying to reconcile Game World Physics with Sizemore talking about making custom golems. Maybe it's a lot simpler than that though, and it just works like Alpha Centauri or Metal Fatigue, or even just choosing the golem type.

Oh gawd. Wild tangent. Do you think if it turns out Changemancy can alter both clothes and unit biology, that it alters a life forms jeans?
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:55 am

Lipkin

Postby mortissimus » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:43 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:Anyway. What do you other people suppose the statement that Dirtamancers are Fabricators and Golem Tinkerers means? That is to say, what's the difference between an Item Fabricated with Dirtamancy and Dollamancy? (That is, assuming DigDoug knows what he's talking about.) Or the difference between two different kinds of Stone Golem? Actually that last one might be better used to necro the Golem tread.

I'm other people! This is a question for me!

I think the distinction change/create is not that important. As I see it we have [starting conditions]+[mancy]=[effect] and this being Erfworld rules of physics need not apply. If Sizemore needs rock for a rock golem it is because it is in the spells starting conditions, not because he transforms (or not) the particular piece of rock. Golems has the correct stuff present as a starting condition but unless it is stated that trees in the hex is a condition for wood in artitectural dirtamancy, I assume it is not.
mortissimus

Previous

Return to Everything Else Erfworld