Summer Updates - 032

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Updates - 032

Postby zephon » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:17 am

oh man, the last line totally reminded me of this guy: http://www.infocraving.com.

it is so absolutely crucial to always learn something every day. parson has been learning several things a day now for some time.
zephon

Postby moose o death » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:13 am

Troy T wrote:I fight for awareness. I have made you aware. Your choice to use or not use language that hurts those with special needs lies with you. I bear you and your comic readers no ill. I simply hope that you make the right choice in not perpetuating the derision that is cast on people with special needs by using hurtful words.

your fight for awareness was a misfire based on your perceived fog of war because parson mentions a short bus.

a quick look on google highlights short bus is a movie, a band, songs. and also images of short buses show up. YOU were the one who said it was derogatory to differently abled people. you should check your own prejudices at the door before attacking. being offended by a prejudice is often as prejudiced as making the comment.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby teratorn » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:20 am

moose o death wrote:a quick look on google highlights short bus is a movie, a band, songs.

I don't know about the band and songs. But the shortbus salon where the movie characters meet is inspired by the yellow short bus for "challenged" students, the connection is quite clear.
teratorn

Postby moose o death » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:21 am

only if your american apparantly. i've never seen this movie. until now the shortbus thing was an innocent description. as much as manpower the temporary was a gay joke to me.

you guys have manpower temp agency we have manpower, male strip revue. so once again telling off the GLOBAL community for a line in robs comic, has backfired. the bigotry has spread further off shore. personally if he was offened by that line he's too sensitive. parson never says anything about the handicapped. he says yellow like a banana, no like a bus, a short bus. this is exactly like a short bus. it's a drunk chain of thought. but i hardly see how someone could possibly misconstrue that as slandering anyone. not even specifically. the whole update is highlighting what an idiot alchohol can make of you pretty succintly.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby teratorn » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:50 am

moose o death wrote:only if your american apparantly. i've never seen this movie. until now the shortbus thing was an innocent description. as much as manpower the temporary was a gay joke to me.

you guys have manpower temp agency we have manpower, male strip revue.

I'm not American, I'm Portuguese. I've seen the movie** though (don't recommend it). The first time I've seen a manpower agency was after the strip, and in Paris! There was one of those near the hotel.

** and yes, as DevilDan says, the movie is not what Parson is talking about. It's one of those things I'd like to unsee.
Last edited by teratorn on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teratorn

Postby DevilDan » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:54 pm

The movie Short Bus is very likely not what Parson was referring to.

That is all.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Silophant » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:25 am

Troy T wrote: Would Parson call an African American the "N" word?

Probably not.
Would Parson use anti-semitic language toward a Jewish person?

Probably not.
Would Parson mock an American Indian with crude imitation of one of their war cries?

Almost certainly.
Silophant

Postby BarGamer » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:03 pm

quindraco wrote: Why would white fight black when they can gang up on green? [1]
[1] This is a literary reference; +1000 points to whomever works it out.

"Racism was not a problem on the Discworld, because — what with trolls and dwarfs and so on — speciesism was more interesting. Black and white lived in perfect harmony and ganged up on green." Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad

That's not to say I didn't Google it, but I do own the book, too. The whole series is awesome and win, whether as light-hearted fantasy or the most biting of satire.
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Hari Seldon » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:37 pm

balder wrote:This is absolutely the single most frustrating thing about having guest artists. I noticed this detail when I got the art. It is wrong; Parson and Banana fell on the inner side of the wall and did not leave the city. There was not time to have Eugene correct it. I knew someone was going to fixate on it, too.

Thanks for then info.
Hari Seldon

Postby dirocyn » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:41 pm

nerf-dweller wrote:
Spot wrote:So... I guess that it is pretty-well settled then that Parson is (a) a garrison unit, (b) totally lacking in cross-hex-boundary move, and (c) not going on any trips anytime soon.

... (d) Parson is classified as a "heavy" unit". In every sense of the word. :D

Well, he got on the dwagon, and stayed in the saddle as it fell. Heavy units aren't supposed to be able to mount at all, from what Sizemore said. Parson may be too heavy for Banana, but maybe he could ride out on a sourmander.

From Update 9: "And we're not even sure you've got move, right? You'd need to be promoted from garrison unit... No, I think for the time being, I'd like to keep you right here in the capital where I can mentor you."

This could be an Order to stay in the city. Or Parson could indeed be a garrison unit, and need a promotion to be able to move. Either way, Parson would need to talk to Stanley before he can leave.
dirocyn

Postby moose o death » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:56 am

i can sit on a 747's wing ..albeit briefly, that doesn't make me a passenger.
moose o death

Postby DevilDan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:40 pm

Dirocyn, Parson's attempted flight all took place within the city.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Previous

Return to Reactions