Digdoug - Episode 9

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Digdoug - Episode 9

Postby Hidden Sanity » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:53 pm

GWvsJohn wrote:I doubt Rob thinks of himself as a pompadoured giant in a white jumpsuit :) I think Rob is more like Eru Iluvatar. His music crafts Erfworld, but for the actual, in-game events, he allows his servants, the Titans (Valar) to act in his stead.

Pffft, those were just the Titan's that shaped the terrain, the mountains and the erf; Aka, The kings of Rock.
Hidden Sanity

Postby Chit Rule Railroad » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:49 pm

Hidden Sanity wrote:Pffft, those were just the Titan's that shaped the terrain, the mountains and the erf; Aka, The kings of Rock.

I wonder if we'll learn that Erf's units were designed by the kings of Pop.

More on topic, the second panel of the first page of Book 1 seems designed to give the impression that there are events that the Titans are unaware of.
Chit Rule Railroad
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:53 pm

Chit Rule Railroad wrote:I wonder if we'll learn that Erf's units were designed by the kings of Pop.
Well Unaroyal did have Hollas, so I'd say that's one point in favor of this theory :p
Semi-related, I hope GK kept some Unaroyal cities rather than razing and rebuilding them, because I wanna see what Hollas look like.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Omnimancer » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:33 pm

bladestorm wrote:
auraseer wrote:
Lilwik wrote: Since gathering intelligence is the only thing that Predictamancy can do

That's really oversimplifying. Predictamancers appear to be pretty impressive in combat. The one time we've seen one in a real fight, when Delphi fought for Goodminton, she hit every shot and dodged every attack.

Saying Predictamancers can't do anything but gather intelligence, is like saying that Dirtamancers can't do anything but dig.

or saying Dirtamancers aren't good for anything other than working in the cesspit making crap golems....which is pretty much how Stanley was using Sizemore. We've come to find out that Dirtamancers can do a lot more than that, but was just being utilized improperly. From a gaming perspective, it would not be unusual to have a player maintain a unit for the sole reason of a passive bonus that it grants without actually utilizing that unit.

Actually, we don't know that Sizemore was being used improperly. He'd presumably already upgraded Gobwin Knob as much as he could, so making golems could have been the best use of his time. He definitely deserved more respect though.

Also, gathering intelligence is hardly something to sneeze at. Even if predictamancers couldn't fight (which they can) knowing how best to deploy your forces is extremely powerful. Look how the eyemancer scrying table aided Gobwin Knob. Of course, Predictamancers may not be quite as good in combat when they don't have a tower loaded with spells to use. Delphie Temple was basically aiming a magical turret gun, rather than casting her own spells. Having perfect accuracy when you're just slinging hobokens might not go as far. But in some situations, good intel can be even better than raw attack power.
Omnimancer
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:32 am

Omnimancer wrote:
No one in particular wrote:Casters in Combat:
    Golems get bonuses from Dirt- & Dollamancers.
    Croakamancers HAVE to be on the scene to have bodies to work with, and once raised can lead dance-fights.
    Shockamancers can load up towers or scrolls, but would probably be even more devastating in person.
    Foolamancers have to be IN a stack to veil it.
    Florists can stop any fighting from even happening.
    Dittomancers can double specials, units & projectiles.
    Healomancers... again, work best on the scene. If a unit can survive a trip back to a city, they probably don't really need a healomancer.
    Predictamancers don't make you stronger, but they make it so you don't miss and don't get hit.
A lot of Casters COULD be really useful in combat... they're just expensive, valuable and don't pop nearly as often as Warlords. Most Rulers hoard Casters rather than field them and risk losing them. (there's also how their bonuses don't apply universally like Warlords' do)

Really, that's one reason why Rusty was so shunned at Faq. He was a COMBAT Caster, unlike the Mathamancer, Lookamancer, Signamancer, Predictamancer, Healomancer or Moneymancer.

I think it's likely that every caster can do some unique trick in combat, even the more peaceful seeming disciplines. I'd be curious to see how a Moneymancer or Signamancer handles themselves in a fight. And of course, every caster is capable of performing basic shockamancy attacks too, and using scrolls with combat spells, even if it isn't their speciality.

The difference is that many casters have a lot of uses outside combat, so you don't want to risk them in a fight unless you absolutely have to, or if the fight is overwhelmingly in your favor. Warlords on the other hand mostly exist to lead units into battle (other than secondary uses like managing cities), so it's wasteful not to use them.

Signamancy

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0092.html

Moneymancy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u3eQc_rx54
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Shai_hulud » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:37 am

This is a better example of Signamancy in combat, I think.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0448.html
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Grand Diplomat » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:33 pm

Lipkin, I don't see how that is related to Moneymancy. Now if you were to use gems has arrow heads then a moneymancer could be really useful.
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby No one in particular » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:30 pm

Grand Diplomat wrote:Lipkin, I don't see how that is related to Moneymancy. Now if you were to use gems has arrow heads then a moneymancer could be really useful.

Ha!
  1. Tie gems to arrows
  2. Shoot arrows
  3. Convert gems directly into MORE ARROWS
  4. Watch enemy try to "fight in the shade"
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby Grand Diplomat » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:34 pm

Well I didn't think of turning the Gems into more arrows so that's something else a moneymancer could probably do. What I was saying was I don't see how that clip about Zod getting imprisoned has anything at all to do with Moneymancers.
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby 0beron » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:44 pm

To anyone who doubts that Money can make you effective in combat, I have only one word.

Batman.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Grand Diplomat » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:47 pm

HA HA HA!
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby joosy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:09 pm

HA! Yes, now we need to see a master class MoneyMancer/Dollamancer and adept Signamancer called Master Bruce Wayne or some such.
joosy

Postby Grand Diplomat » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:12 pm

Agreed.
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby 0beron » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:44 pm

Psh, he doesn't even need to be a real Dollamancer, just pop with the Fabricate special :p
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Shai_hulud » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:52 pm

People fighting using magic gemstones while ranting about how every life has a price makes me think about Fullmetal Alchemist.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:28 am

Shai_hulud wrote:People fighting using magic gemstones while ranting about how every life has a price makes me think about Fullmetal Alchemist.

I have to say that would be too perfect for money mancers. Hmm... you would probably need a signamancer-moneymancer link to get it to work out though. Or maybe only to convert cities into the Philosopher's Gem.
Lamech

Postby Lipkin » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:52 am

Grand Diplomat wrote:Well I didn't think of turning the Gems into more arrows so that's something else a moneymancer could probably do. What I was saying was I don't see how that clip about Zod getting imprisoned has anything at all to do with Moneymancers.

What shape was his prison? A diamond.

A bit of a stretch, but I like the idea.
Lipkin

Previous

Return to Reactions