Page by page discussion of the comic.

Summer Updates - 040

Postby balder » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:38 pm

New One is up.
balder

Re: Summer Updates - 040

Postby Danetrix » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:55 pm

Nice update!

A good chunk of info on what RCC are doing, and who's sided with Royal Crown Coalition II. And introduction of some new characters! And that it appears that Jetstone is weakened; that the force lost at GK wasn't just a portion, but a big enough chunk to weaken Jetsone considerably. And info on Ansom. :D

Things are heating up indeed.
Last edited by Danetrix on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danetrix

Postby Justyn » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:56 pm

Oh, I get it, they pop multiple royals in advance in case one of them dies. I thought that Slately named his Heir a little quick after that battle to have popped him after the battle.

Anyway this is confirmation that at least some units can be produced en mas, or, basic infantry can be popped by the stack, at least by high level cities... (it was managing a four unit a turn average, {12x8} + {11x6} = 162)
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Roketter » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:57 pm

Wow, Ansom has two brothers and now the coalition knows what's going on.. partially at least. And they are afraid... this'll get interesting. I wonder if they'll meet Faq soon :P
Roketter

Postby raphfrk » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:01 pm

That answers the mount question too. If you change to a fresh mount, your move is refreshed (or at least you use the mount's move).

Also, is Ossomer's height a sign that he has higher stats/
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby DevilDan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:04 pm

Is this the beginning of the last tranche of summer updates?

This does give us a better idea of what it's possible to pop. Of course, maybe heavies like twolls (and, surely, gumps) take more time to produce. Surely a twoll or gump has more attack than a basic infantryman and could easily dispense with two or more of the latter. Each gump takes 3 turns, then?

Sansabelt? hahahaha.
Last edited by DevilDan on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby joosy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:09 pm

great update! nice bone to the forum geeks on using relays to exceed move limitations.

Gotta love all the naming puns and references :) Haggar the Horri.. er. Gauche. The naming convention for the Jetstone Royals:

Ansom (Handsome)
Ossomer (Awesomer)
Tremenis (Tremendous)

I wonder if we will see their close kin Tupendis, Arvelus, and Tantasik soon :)

It is now confirmed that Jetsone was greatly weakened but they are increasing their allies out of simple desperation.

Hopefully Ansom, Wanda and the gang are up to the task. I wonder if Stanley is sending them more dwagon reinforcements..

Keep up the excellent work, folks!
joosy

Postby DevilDan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:11 pm

I'd never thought I'd react with P.U. to any of these gags... but "Hyatt Regency?"
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Fantabulastic » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:16 pm

Gobwin Knob seems unstoppable, which of course makes for a very boring story. I wonder what will happen to change that, possibly a defection by Parson who will now have to unmake the beast he created? Whatever it is I'm sure I'll love it.
Fantabulastic

Postby gameboy1234 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:17 pm

Anyone else think that Jetstone's secret power is the stick they hide up their butt?

Note the ending: "Ansom lives." So far it seems no one, not even Charlie, can distinguish between units that have turned or are enspelled, and decrypted units. I wonder when, or if, the secret will get out?
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby doran » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:27 pm

DevilDan wrote:I'd never thought I'd react with P.U. to any of these gags... but "Hyatt Regency?"

Why DevilDan? After googling it, The Hyatt Regency seems to refer to a hotel.

Also, Dhrystone produce soldiers who are a benchmark odf skill. :mrgreen:

For a minute or two, I though Sansabelt was a ASoIaF reference...
MarbitChow wrote: Don't you get it yet? WE ARE THE MAGIC KINGDOM.
We're the people sitting around discussing our pet theories based on nomenclature, citing references, discussing ad nauseum while Parson finds out how it works.
doran
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Roketter » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:34 pm

I thing they can distinguish decrypted from uncroaked.. i mean.. uncroaked have green skin and reveal portions of their skulls... It's been 23 turns from the battle, so if Ansom fights them looking just the way he did it'll be a bit clear he's not a dacaying zombie.. :shock:

Also, when they mention the enemy is refreshing mounts too... I see Wanda doing that so she can be present at the end of each battle to decrypt everything. If she can decrypt stuff from battles she didn't take part in... then Gobwin's Knob advantage is much greater, they can protect Wanda by keeping her in the back and multiply the amount of decrypted in many battles a turn, provided she has enough move to be in all of them... and by refreshing flying mounts must be very simple for a faction with access to swarms of Dragons. Seems the kind of thing Parson would arrange, a network of refreshable dragons for Wanda to move around :P
Roketter

Postby Raza » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:36 pm

Blech. It's the tasteless end of the RCC. I really wonder what Don King sees in these people.

Ossomer seems a traditionalist, moreso than Ansom was. I think his comment on Ansom's 'wasting production' on Gumps is telling, considering what we know about the use the first RCC got out of their gumps, vs the use they got out of their endless mass of infantry. His initial attitude to tricks like swapping mounts also suggests he might be inclined to Webinar-level tactics, if perhaps with more ego and forwardness.

Haggar seems like a questionable choice in coalition partners, if the RCC2 ever goes up against Parson's divide-and-destroy diplimancy tactics.

So Unaroyal is about to get wiped off the map? That paragraph seems to contain a lot of info to guess at in very little words.
Last edited by Raza on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Raza

Postby Graydon » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:38 pm

gameboy1234 wrote:Note the ending: "Ansom lives." So far it seems no one, not even Charlie, can distinguish between units that have turned or are enspelled, and decrypted units. I wonder when, or if, the secret will get out?

Well, presumably, for the secret to get out, someone has to see a decryption who is not already on the Gobwin Knob side. Otherwise, the only way to tell a decrypted unit isn't alive in the conventional sense is to note that it doesn't pay upkeep, and so far as we know, there's no way for some other side to see into Gobwin Knob's upkeep books. (Though if they have Moneymancers, maybe they can do that.)

Seeing decryption requires getting the word out; you can use a lookamancer, if you've got one (90% confident that Jetstone hasn't, or they'd have sent it with Ansom initially), maybe; we don't know how that works or how defenses against scrying work. You can have someone with the ability to not auto-attack (presumably a warlord) lurk in a hex and observe, but I wouldn't want to be the first unit to try veiling against Wanda + Pliers.

If decryption is completely new, and it seems like it is, it could take a long, long time for anybody to even start to think that they're seeing something that involves the resurrection of the dead rather than some kind of powerful Thinkamancy. It'll be very interesting if one of Ansome's brothers tries to "free him from the curse".
Graydon

Postby Engy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:41 pm

Did anyone else read it as six hundred and five warlords at first? I did and inhaled my drink the wrong way and went into a coughing fit.

Now I think we're starting to see it heat up for this next book, which, if anything is making the remaining wait even worse.
I'm not an Eskimo!
Engy
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby HailGreen28 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:51 pm

They still seem to be popping a lot of units. We saw only one city mentioned. Jetstone and her allies have more. Keep Decrypting Wanda!
HailGreen28

Postby spriteless » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:53 pm

joosy wrote:Tremenis (Tremendous)
An I thought it was "strawman is" or something.

King Haggar not the Horrible for copyright reasons and Ceasar Bogarta, specifically will make good allies. Transylvitto has enough luxury to compare to Rome about to fall, and you always got to keep an eye out for the Ceaser about to take the throne in these stories. (I guess it would be harder to notice Palpatine or Megatron building their own private army in Brooklyn without the name hint.)
T'was a splendidly speedy defection.
spriteless

Postby raphfrk » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:01 pm

Engy wrote:Did anyone else read it as six hundred and five warlords at first?

Yeah. I think the eye skips the "units" word due to the newline and it goes from

.................................................. bout six
hundred units and five warlords,

to

.................................................. bout six
hundred and five warlords,
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby MarchHatter » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:03 pm

I think Gobwin Knob just did a crappy job at hiding the fact that Ansom was decrypted or a crappy job at killing everyone and letting someone escape and not be killed and decrypted.

They could of used the shock effect of Ansom being alive when fighting a giant major kingdom.
Today's signature was brought to you by: Erfworld, SteveMB and the Letter Q
MarchHatter

Postby HailGreen28 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:11 pm

MarchHatter wrote:I think Gobwin Knob just did a crappy job at hiding the fact that Ansom was decrypted or a crappy job at killing everyone and letting someone escape and not be killed and decrypted.

They could of used the shock effect of Ansom being alive when fighting a giant major kingdom.
Sounds like Wanda's force is eating up Unaroyal. ZDon't know if they count as a "major" kingdom or not.
HailGreen28

Next

Return to Reactions