Digdoug - Episode 13

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Digdoug - Episode 13

Postby balder » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:40 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Digdoug - Episode 13

Postby technojunkie » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:44 pm

Aww I thought digdoug was gonna get some action for a second there....
technojunkie
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby (name here) » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:50 pm

Seems Dove is, in fact, mostly on the level. Otherwise she would have just claimed she didn't have the expertise to pull off that particular trick.
(name here)

Postby Thomar » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:08 pm

I'm not sure it was very clear... She let him make the Weatherburg storm trap in a hex with no storm, correct?

Anyways, "Penguin Storm" appears to be a trainer (a cheat program) for the web game Club Penguin.
Last edited by Thomar on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomar

Postby Allsardane » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:09 pm

That shell trick analogy (the ball isn't under any of the three shells) seems appropriate. With everyone focused on flyers and Dove working to make sure that no attacking unit can hit the king, it makes Dove the only unit in the city capable of harming the King. This seems like a great set-up for the major air attack to fail as expected and then for Dove to push the King off of the top of the castle and collect the reward money herself.
Allsardane

Postby 0beron » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:16 pm

Interesting that Digdoug doesn't know her level. It has to be Carnymancy she casts on herself every turn, because previous evidence tells us Commanders always see stats, even of enemies. A specific example that comes to mind is the fact that Jillian knew Olive was an 11. But why make her stats blank? That's such an obvious dupe, when she could presumably make it appear lower than reality...
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby name lips » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:30 pm

The secret lightning trap was important enough to deserve it's own update.

I have a feeling it will somehow make the difference in the battle. It's the one thing that the King himself doesn't know about, and therefore none of his "allies" is aware of it either.

Only Digdoug himself... and Dove of course, who's the real wild card in this story.
name lips

Postby MadZuri » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:44 pm

Unit stat knowledge may be one of the commander abilities that casters lack. I don't recall ever reading about a caster that intrinsically knew a units stats outside of their discipline. There is no need to assume that she is intentionally obfuscating it.
MadZuri

Postby Ghola » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:00 pm

Digdug isn't a Chief, I think. The way he talks about becoming one, instead of being one, kinda puts the nail in that coffin.
I think you need to have more then one caster unit on your side for one of them to be considered a "Chief" rank. Dove's a contract unit, technically a barbarian caster.
Jillian's ability to know caster level could be from any number of reasons, either from her being an Heir, being a Chief Warlord, or being the leader of a barbarian side.
Ghola

Postby 0beron » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:17 pm

Knowledge of unit stats is clearly stated to be a Commander trait, not something only a select few have, and level is clearly shown to be one of those visible stats, so no it's not because Jillian is special.
Madzuri's suggestion, though a stretch IMO, is more plausible.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby technojunkie » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:21 pm

There was an update where Marie made a comment about Sizemore's CWL bonus. and asks 'is That him?' I take this to mean that casters can see unit stats.

*edit*

It was Janis, not Marie: http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -09-09.png
Last edited by technojunkie on Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
technojunkie

Postby 0beron » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:23 pm

Ahhh yes good catch, thanks Techno!
So yeah, all Commanders can see stats, so either Dove is hiding her level/stats, or Digdoug is REALLY unobservant and hasn't bothered to actually "look" at her. The latter explanation would be pretty lame and unlikely IMO considering that right after thinking this, he goes and visits her.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby name lips » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:50 pm

(speculation)

It could be that there is another distinction here between a unit that IS a commander, and a unit that CAN BE a commander.

Perhaps the Ruler has to designate/promote commander-capable units into actual Commanders, at the cost of increased upkeep.

We've seen several times in this story that Digdoug seems to have no capacity for thinking like a commander, understanding tactics, and so on. He seems to be almost as ignorant as Parson was (when he arrived) when it comes to how war is actually waged on Erf.

Perhaps this ignorance is due to him not being an official "Commander." Perhaps this sort of knowledge is gained automagically upon being designated/promoted into an active Commander by ones ruler.
name lips

Postby twhitt » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:27 pm

Janis also seems to know that Sizemore leveled. If she can't see this herself, then it's possible she was told off-camera. http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F141.jpg

It's possible, I suppose, that Chief Caster typically goes to the highest caster-class, not the highest caster-level, so that a Master would be Chief over a higher level Adept; I don't think such a convention is strongly supported by the text, but at least there's some support for not knowing if someone's Master-class, etc.

Really, it's just confusing, and I get the feeling that if there is in fact a 'real' rule, that it is not being applied consistently.
Last edited by twhitt on Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twhitt
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Sir Shadow » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:28 pm

Hmmm... Maybe Warlords can tell a Unit's level but Casters cannot? Just being able to see stats doesn't necessarily mean all pertinent information is given. /shrug
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Postby Lamech » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:40 pm

Its possible the stat sight ability is something with a gradient. (Much like how "multilevel" scouts are used for veil busting) and Digdoug simply isn't good enough at it.

Anyway, we see yet another way for casters to synergize without links. Also the ability to alter hex weather from far away.

Allsardane wrote:That shell trick analogy (the ball isn't under any of the three shells) seems appropriate. With everyone focused on flyers and Dove working to make sure that no attacking unit can hit the king, it makes Dove the only unit in the city capable of harming the King. This seems like a great set-up for the major air attack to fail as expected and then for Dove to push the King off of the top of the castle and collect the reward money herself.
Doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. She'd just get stabbed to death.

Also for Digdoug's next trick he should make a lightning trap that can take energy from other sources. Like siege weapons or archon blasts.
Lamech

Postby fjolnir » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:18 pm

Dove is currently kept as a prisoner so the upkeep is hidden on the books from homekey, it is logical that commanders would be unable to tell the stats of the prisoner or else "Bubble sides" like Faq's would fall when a prisoner was taken...
fjolnir

Postby Allsardane » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:28 pm

Allsardane wrote:That shell trick analogy (the ball isn't under any of the three shells) seems appropriate. With everyone focused on flyers and Dove working to make sure that no attacking unit can hit the king, it makes Dove the only unit in the city capable of harming the King. This seems like a great set-up for the major air attack to fail as expected and then for Dove to push the King off of the top of the castle and collect the reward money herself.

"Lamech" Doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. She'd just get stabbed to death.

I could be remembering incorrectly, or flat out wrong, but didn't we learn from Wanda's back-story that in order to game the numbers system a luckamancer had to get the numbers from other sources? We also discovered something similar to this from the carnymancer with Sylvia. Example (assuming a d20 system) you can make sure a single target always rolls 20's in exchange for other units from the same side always rolling 1's. I'm cross-contaminating my magical specialties a bit here, but I'm thinking that this could be accomplished in one of two ways-

1. The opposite of "can't be killed by flying" could be "can't be killed be ground" (but it probably isn't).
2. There may not need to be a karmic equivalent trade-off. If Dove can make someone immune to flying units then she likely could break the same rule regarding ground units.

Dove lets the tiny air force get killed by the archons, pushes the king off the roof, and walks away since there is now nobody left in the hex that can kill her (barring the Archons). Maybe Dove expected the castle trap to count as a grounded attack since it came from a building but it's emanating from a storm allows it to technically still be a flying attack and our heroic dirtomancer kills her?

I'm not sure. I just still don't trust her and 300000 schmuckers is a lot of money if you can rig the game to favor the dealer.
Allsardane

Postby 0beron » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:52 pm

fjolnir wrote:Dove is currently kept as a prisoner so the upkeep is hidden on the books from homekey, it is logical that commanders would be unable to tell the stats of the prisoner or else "Bubble sides" like Faq's would fall when a prisoner was taken...
Side is not one of the stats visible in a unit's block.
Also, nowhere is it said that Dove is a Prisoner, in fact the very opposite is implied. She is casting to cook the books to hide her upkeep. If she was a Prisoner, they wouldn't need to do that, the upkeep would already be "hidden" through normal tricks.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby fjolnir » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:48 pm

She cooked the books to hide the predictamancer rental, not her own hiring...
fjolnir

Next

Return to Reactions