Re: Digdoug - Episode 20

Postby Beeskee » Wed May 14, 2014 12:16 am

Holy boop, Rands can pay upkeep? How does that work? :D
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Gorky » Wed May 14, 2014 12:23 am

I don't understand the last few sentences.
Gorky

Postby Beeskee » Wed May 14, 2014 12:24 am

A "mark" in carny terms (RL and Erfworld) is a target, victim, rube, fool, etc.
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby silverblob5 » Wed May 14, 2014 12:39 am

It was never about the job, never about Homekey or Delkey or Charlie or any of them. It was about getting a Dirtamancer under her thumb, in the Magic Kingdom. She'd be set for life.
silverblob5

Postby name lips » Wed May 14, 2014 12:42 am

Well crap.

I have a feeling everything she told him was technically true. No lies. Homekey is gone, Posbrake is gone.

But her end goal... getting her mark.

All he has left is Dirtamancy... she's made sure of that.
name lips

Postby ManaCaster » Wed May 14, 2014 12:54 am

Follywood refused to ever let him into the Magic Kingdom, even when they were trading him away. And his first time in there, he "coincidentally" happened to bump right into what he was looking for. Maybe Follywood had a Prediction.
ManaCaster

Postby Lilwik » Wed May 14, 2014 12:54 am

Beeskee wrote:Holy boop, Rands can pay upkeep? How does that work?
That's a new mystery! I've often wondered how Rands work. It always seemed like they must be regulated by some authority that gives them value, just like any Stupidworld currency, but now it is obvious where the value of Rands comes from and we have an obvious drain on the supply of Rands; one Rand disappears for every caster in the Magic Kingdom every day, so the same number of Rands needs to appear somewhere every day on average or the Magic Kingdom would run out of Rands.

It's bizarre that one Rand appears in the Magic Kingdom for each caster every day, but for some reason the Rands aren't given directly to the casters. If a Rand were given to each caster each day then no caster would ever run out. Who gets the Rands and why?
Lilwik

Postby Keighvin1 » Wed May 14, 2014 1:01 am

I'm torn on this, on the one hand I want Dove to be sincere in wanting to help Digdoug and being friendly with him, and on the other it makes perfect sense for her to see an easy mark and use him for her own benefit.

I would just really like to see a Carny who's not semi-evil.
Keighvin1
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby name lips » Wed May 14, 2014 1:05 am

Lilwik wrote:
That's a new mystery! I've often wondered how Rands work. It always seemed like they must be regulated by some authority that gives them value, just like any Stupidworld currency, but now it is obvious where the value of Rands comes from and we have an obvious drain on the supply of Rands; one Rand disappears for every caster in the Magic Kingdom every day, so the same number of Rands needs to appear somewhere every day on average or the Magic Kingdom would run out of Rands.

It's bizarre that one Rand appears in the Magic Kingdom for each caster every day, but for some reason the Rands aren't given directly to the casters. If a Rand were given to each caster each day then no caster would ever run out. Who gets the Rands and why?

There must be some way to convert schmuckers to rands. Otherwise, why would MK casters be so keen to find paying work outside the MK?

On the other hand, we know that caster require a number of schmuckers each turn in upkeep that varies depending on their level. High level casters require more schmuckers. Yet, in the MK, it looks like your upkeep is exactly one Rand no matter what level you are.
name lips

Postby TheTuna » Wed May 14, 2014 1:10 am

Given the nature of Carnymancy, what the other Carny said makes me wonder whether Homekey's still intact, at least for now. Could a Carnymancer temporarily disable a portal?
TheTuna

Postby Godzfirefly » Wed May 14, 2014 1:10 am

Lilwik wrote:

You're assuming the number of Rands made matches the number of casters each day. That is a heck of a specific assumption, since the comic doesn't actually say anything at all about how many are out there or where they come from. Honestly, in my opinion, the most likely source of Rands would be that shmuckers are turned into Rands somehow, and those are spread about from whatever source that is (or, shmuckers in the control of MK casters automatically convert into Rands.)

And, even if they aren't made from shmuckers, they don't need to make enough for every caster in the MK every day. After all, when MK casters work for their upkeep, they get paid in Shmuckers, not Rands. So, clearly either option works for paying a MK caster's upkeep. This also means that Rands don't need to be made in the quantity of 1/caster/day (since at least a certain percentage are paying their upkeep in Shmuckers rather than Rands.)

Lastly, keep in mind that non-MK casters (like Sizemore) use Rands in the MK, too. That means that the number of Rands out there in the economy has to cover those, too. (And, I think this explains a bit of why Sizemore was so free with his Rands in the beginning of Book 1, too.)
Godzfirefly

Postby Glome » Wed May 14, 2014 1:11 am

Lilwik wrote:
Beeskee wrote:It's bizarre that one Rand appears in the Magic Kingdom for each caster every day, but for some reason the Rands aren't given directly to the casters. If a Rand were given to each caster each day then no caster would ever run out. Who gets the Rands and why?

Most likely scenario is that schmuckers can be converted in Rands, thus the need for outside contract work to bring in enough rands to balance the number of casters.
Glome

Postby warriortribble » Wed May 14, 2014 1:14 am

Lilwik wrote:That's a new mystery! I've often wondered how Rands work. It always seemed like they must be regulated by some authority that gives them value, just like any Stupidworld currency, but now it is obvious where the value of Rands comes from and we have an obvious drain on the supply of Rands; one Rand disappears for every caster in the Magic Kingdom every day, so the same number of Rands needs to appear somewhere every day on average or the Magic Kingdom would run out of Rands.
Not necessarily, smuckers can also be used to pay upkeep. But the intrinsic value of the Rand raises a lot of questions. Like, how is it possible for Sizemore to be rich at all? Duty should compel him to spent every Rand he has for the good of Gobwin Knob. Initially, I thought Rand was an artificial currency, and there was some unofficial rules on how to use it (like don't pay barbarian casters in Rand if you're part of a side since you've smuckers), but now we know barbarian caster will gladly take the Rands.

On another topic, holy boop, is that Clay?! My first thought was he's dead, but the episode does leave things a bit ambiguous since Clay is "gone" before Wanda gains her ruler senses. Suppose it's possible Clay was ordered to go to the MK and cut off ties with Goodminton by Delphie. Since the Luckamancer apparently has no Fate Delphie could've sent him away before Wanda was promoted so that she would never know he still existed and haul him back into her messed up Fate.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot. I'm still REALLY curious as to what exactly happened to Homekey. Wonder why the details of it's ultimate fate is kept in the dark.
Last edited by warriortribble on Sat May 17, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
warriortribble
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby ╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛ » Wed May 14, 2014 1:14 am

Glome wrote:
Lilwik wrote:
Beeskee wrote:It's bizarre that one Rand appears in the Magic Kingdom for each caster every day, but for some reason the Rands aren't given directly to the casters. If a Rand were given to each caster each day then no caster would ever run out. Who gets the Rands and why?

Most likely scenario is that schmuckers can be converted in Rands, thus the need for outside contract work to bring in enough rands to balance the number of casters.

I thought something was said at some point about that not being the case because it would give an unfair advantage to moneymancers?

warriortribble wrote:
On another topic, holy boop, is that Clay?! My first thought was he's dead, but the update does leave things a bit ambiguous since Clay is "gone" before Wanda gains her ruler senses. Suppose it's possible Clay was ordered to go to the MK and cut off ties with Goodminton by Delphie. Since the Luckamancer apparently has no Fate Delphie could've sent him away before Wanda was promoted so that she would never know he still existed and haul him back into her messed up Fate.

Nice catch, it really looks a lot like him indeed!
Last edited by ╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛ on Wed May 14, 2014 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 Naughtymancers of different disciplines walk into a bar... wait, forget what I just said. A shockmancer and a croakamancer walk into a bar.
╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛

Postby ManaCaster » Wed May 14, 2014 1:20 am

With there are so many casters waiting to disband, you'd think sides without casters, like the So-be-it Union, would post offerings to let them turn. Is it taboo to just join a new side?

Well, solving the Magic Kingdom's resource limitations opens up a really good option for Parson to win himself into the Magic Kingdom's good graces. Can't hold a grudge against the hand that feeds you. In fact, really, he's going to have to solve that problem soon anyway. The Great Minds can only devote so many of their own resources to the cause after all, and Parson really needs as many master-class Thinkamancers as he can get.
ManaCaster

Postby ╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛ » Wed May 14, 2014 1:22 am

ManaCaster wrote:With there are so many casters waiting to disband, you'd think sides without casters, like the So-be-it Union, would post offerings to let them turn. Is it taboo to just join a new side?

Well, solving the Magic Kingdom's resource limitations opens up a really good option for Parson to win himself into the Magic Kingdom's good graces. Can't hold a grudge against the hand that feeds you. In fact, really, he's going to have to solve that problem soon anyway. The Great Minds can only devote so many of their own resources to the cause after all, and Parson really needs as many master-class Thinkamancers as he can get.

If you don't have a caster it might be hard to post an offering on MK's billboard... not having a caster to post it...

This looks dangerously like a vicious cycle...
3 Naughtymancers of different disciplines walk into a bar... wait, forget what I just said. A shockmancer and a croakamancer walk into a bar.
╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛

Postby Keighvin1 » Wed May 14, 2014 1:24 am

I was just thinking, since this is likely the end of Digdoug 1 (based on there being a picture), I'm now really hoping that Rob schedules a break or 2 to post text stories *cough*Digdoug2*cough* and work on keeping the comic buffer going.
Keighvin1

Postby Lilwik » Wed May 14, 2014 1:31 am

Keighvin1 wrote:I was just thinking, since this is likely the end of Digdoug 1 (based on there being a picture), I'm now really hoping that Rob schedules a break or 2 to post text stories *cough*Digdoug2*cough* and work on keeping the comic buffer going.
This can't be the end. This is no kind of conclusion. Nothing has been resolved! Maybe the presence of the picture indicates that the two Digdoug stories are just going to run together with no separation between them.

I'm more convinced than ever that Dove is playing some sort of game. She said everything is a show, and I think that means that nothing she does is what it appears to be. Digdoug still doubts that what Dove says is true, and now Digdoug is being called a mark. Eventually we're going to find out what is really going on, and then we will finally have all the answers. Then the story can end.
Lilwik

Postby Manic Oppressive » Wed May 14, 2014 1:34 am

That last sentence really makes me think Dove is playing something with Digdoug. And I am now frothing as a result. FROTHING
Why yes, I do like Jillian. WHAT OF IT?
Manic Oppressive

Next

Return to Reactions