The Warlord Formerly(?) Known As Prince

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

The Warlord Formerly(?) Known As Prince

Postby Menlo Marseilles » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:14 am

Okay, so, Ansom. He's Decrypted. Loyal to... Gobwin Knob? Wanda? The Pliers? Details are unclear. But, he's still got all his stats from before - even his specials, like Leadership 10.

So now what happens if Stanley croaks without naming a successor? Do they go neutral? Or is having a royal on your side enough to prevent that - a royal, all of whom have the capability to split off and start new sides anyway?

Wouldn't it be interesting if Stanley were to suffer an accident, just like his predecessor? Then who'd be calling the shots? The Overlord Formerly Known As Prince? Or the power behind the throne?

And what would that mean for someone bound by epic Thinkamancy to obey a dead man?
and in despair i bowed my head
"there is no peace on erf," i said
for fate is strong and mocks the song
of peace on erf, good will to men
Menlo Marseilles

Re: The Warlord Formerly(?) Known As Prince

Postby moose o death » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:40 am

assuming ansom didn't automatically become GK's heir...which is unlikely but plausible.

then the whole side freezes the instant stanley croaks. or at least every unit loyal to GK at anyrate. if wanda really isn't loyal to stanley at all then all bets are off as i doubt any precedent exists for a rogue caster with a decrypted royal heir.

however ansom's monologue leading up to the sack of warchalking infers that he is loyal to stanley for now at least. he's just really into wanda.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Guurzak » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:58 am

Royal units in the field become barbarians rather than neutral(frozen) if their side falls. http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F083.jpg
Guurzak

Postby Ferrous » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:07 am

That may have only happened because Jillian was the named Heir. Stanley has no heir designate.
"Those who live in fear deserve what they get." -Ivan Moldavi
Marooner | Banjoist | Mapamancer
Ferrous

Postby pSycHOtic chICkeN » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:11 pm

wrigley was instantly hand cuffed when the city he was stationed in was captured. It was not unaroyal or the monarch that fell, just his outpost city. It said the handcuffs popped on his wrists and he never had a chance to [try to] stab anyone.
pSycHOtic chICkeN

Postby Darkside007 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:08 pm

pSycHOtic chICkeN wrote:wrigley was instantly hand cuffed when the city he was stationed in was captured. It was not unaroyal or the monarch that fell, just his outpost city. It said the handcuffs popped on his wrists and he never had a chance to [try to] stab anyone.

When a garrison falls, garrisoned units in that city are "frozen". Everything else mentioned was tied to the loss of the Overlord without an heir, not the fall of the city.

When the leader falls, field units either disband or become barbarians, etc.
Darkside007

Postby Roketter » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:10 pm

If they become barbarians, then perhaps Ansom could recover and go back to his old self, since his allegiance to Gobwin Knob would be over. Of course it may not be as simple as that, perhaps decrypted units would continue to serve their summoner, or retain their new ideology thus still believing they must serve Wanda even if they don't really belong to their side anymore, like Jillian still tought she had to avenge Faq even after she stoped being part of the faction.

Ansom's allegiance to Gobwin Knob is entirely artificial and it's either caused by natural Thinkamancy (The pliers resurect fallen units for the casters side, so it's natural he has 100% allegiance to Stanley) or the entire "must-serve-it's-creator" thing. However, so is his being alive (Decrypted units have a "decrypted" status wich is why wanda gives them bonuses.) If all *sumoned* units are disbanded when a side goes barbarian like some games do, then Ansom's chances are no good.

I don't think Ansom will walk out of this easily. Whatever decryption is, it's very clear it's not just a "REsurection" spell, since geting bonuses when close to a croakmancer of darkness is definitely NOT a good sign.
Roketter

Return to Everything Else Erfworld