Thank you for the new site.

Mind if we put this first?

Thank you for the new site.

Postby Gist of Jest » Mon May 04, 2009 3:01 pm

Is it just me, or was the other site slow and unreliable? I couldn't connect over half of the time while reading through the comics.

This site seems to be working great, it's a relief to move around so easily without that hassle.
Gist of Jest

Re: Thank you for the new site.

Postby gmpalmer » Mon May 04, 2009 6:33 pm

The other site also handled tons and tons of traffic

but you're right.
gmpalmer

Postby Gist of Jest » Mon May 04, 2009 7:49 pm

So on one hand, I want more people to read ErfWorld because it's great.

Then on the other, I want this site to stay unpolluted with traffic.
Gist of Jest

Postby The Dark Fiddler » Tue May 05, 2009 4:18 pm

Well, once Erfworld moves completely, Giant in the Playground will be handling less Erfworld traffic because the updates will be here, not there. Therefore, the severs there should be a bit better and less strained, and the ones here will just get a bit more work.
Oh how I wish I could be a tool.

Alas, I mere middle schooler am I, and the resources I lack to pay the fee.

Boop the economy, by the way.

A tool in spirit, I suppose.
The Dark Fiddler

Postby -D- » Wed May 06, 2009 2:42 pm

I salute the Titans for granting us this site to behold and admire. Keep up the great work guys.
-D-
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Dave Rapp » Thu May 07, 2009 7:38 pm

When Rich's server load was more then he could bear, he responded by fiddling with the forums and deleting old posts and stuff, as well as making stricted limits on sig and avatars. This would have no impact on how fast things can be accessed. Face it, whoever is in charge of managing GiantITP is, well, kind of an idiot. I'm sure GiantITP's various traffic problems won't bother us here.

(no offense intentionally directed at Mr. Burlew)
Dave Rapp

Postby zeekgenateer » Fri May 08, 2009 12:07 am

Dave Rapp wrote:When Rich's server load was more then he could bear, he responded by fiddling with the forums and deleting old posts and stuff, as well as making stricted limits on sig and avatars. This would have no impact on how fast things can be accessed. Face it, whoever is in charge of managing GiantITP is, well, kind of an idiot. I'm sure GiantITP's various traffic problems won't bother us here.

I believe this opinion is a little uninformed. Server load can be influenced by the amount of entries in a database especially if there are as many entries as could be found for the site hosting two excellent webcomics. I can only imagine how much traffic and server load he gets daily let alone yearly. And don't forget webcomics don't usually pay all the bills, you can look at Erfworld as an example. So, for having a low end server for the kind of page hits he gets, I believe he is doing an excellent job.
zeekgenateer

Postby Occasional Sage » Fri May 08, 2009 2:14 am

I used to be an agnostic. Finding this site, though, has solidified my belief in the glory of the Titans.

I am hoping that the member-base will stay, for a while at least, homogeneous in a way that GitP can't be with PbP sections and whatnot. If not... oh well! The Titans' will be done, on Erf as it is in Graceland, and I'll still want to be here rather than over there if I get my druthers.
Avatar courtesy of Dr. Bath of GitP!
Occasional Sage

Postby privatepepper » Sun May 10, 2009 1:58 am

Well, according to GitP, they're trying to fix their problems, but it will be a while.

Yes, thank you for the new site. :D
There's not much to be said. Follow me, and I will teach you the paths of love, of hate, of fire, of death, of life, of ice. Follow me, and I will lead you through years of victory and ruin.
privatepepper

Postby konmanrocks » Mon May 11, 2009 9:42 pm

Dave Rapp wrote:When Rich's server load was more then he could bear, he responded by fiddling with the forums and deleting old posts and stuff, as well as making stricted limits on sig and avatars. This would have no impact on how fast things can be accessed. Face it, whoever is in charge of managing GiantITP is, well, kind of an idiot. I'm sure GiantITP's various traffic problems won't bother us here.

that might be going a bit far. the amount of traffic they have on that site is amazing, and i would be interested to see the solid numbers on it. you have to remember they are hosting a large amount of files and there forums are huge and bloated. they simply have to many visitors on a regular basis for the server they are currently on.
konmanrocks
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Xanthir » Mon May 11, 2009 11:06 pm

As others have said, you uh, don't actually know what you're talking about.

Bandwidth is bandwidth is bandwidth. If people are on the forums soaking up bandwidth with large sigs and avatars, that's bandwidth that *can't* be used by people trying to pull down the comic. Cleaning out the forum database should have a negligible effect on comic load times, but it can certainly affect forum load times.
Xanthir
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Bobby Archer » Sat May 16, 2009 11:41 am

Xanthir wrote:

As others have said, you uh, don't actually know what you're talking about.

Bandwidth is bandwidth is bandwidth. If people are on the forums soaking up bandwidth with large sigs and avatars, that's bandwidth that *can't* be used by people trying to pull down the comic. Cleaning out the forum database should have a negligible effect on comic load times, but it can certainly affect forum load times.

In any case, this kind of debate is beside the point of this thread. Whatever your thoughts about GitP, the measures taken/pending to reduce slowdown on the site, and the exchange rate of gp to shmuckers, I think we can agree that Rob and Jamie have given us something pretty booping nifty here.
Uncroaked for Hire

No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.
Bobby Archer

Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity

Return to Internet and Webcomics