Paypal won't let me register as a tool w/o credit card...

What features and fixes would you like to see here at erfworld.com?

Paypal won't let me register as a tool w/o credit card...

Postby heng » Mon May 04, 2009 4:36 am

trying to become a Tool seems to require a credit card... which i don't have...
any other way of "getting boxed" here?

i can't even copy'n'paste the error message, since the smart guys at PayPal only display the german version...

obvious errors:
yes: i do have a working paypal account
no: that one didn't require a credit card
yes: i am willing to sent you the money any other way (well, maybe not ANY other way... let's keep it practical - no i will not sent you my messenger pidgeon)

heng
heng

Re: Paypal won't let me register as a tool w/o credit card...

Postby harknell » Mon May 04, 2009 7:34 am

Hmm, very strange. It wouldn't let you use your regular paypal account as the subscription payment? It should. I'll go check the settings to make sure that's possible. unfortunately we don't have an alternate way other than using this system.
Webmaster for the comic Stupid and Insane Defenders Against Chaos: http://www.onezumi.com
Webmaster for the comic Erfworld: http://www.erfworld.com
harknell
Site Admin

Postby konmanrocks » Mon May 04, 2009 4:12 pm

its probably because of the reoccurring charges every month, paypal wants a credit card because its always there.
konmanrocks
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby harknell » Tue May 05, 2009 11:26 am

That might be an unfortunate truth of the situation. However, as was requested in another thread Rob and Jamie are looking at the possibility of doing alternate subscription methods, so there might be a "full year" one time payment option or something like that that does not have the recurring thing attached. In that case that might then be an option for people in this situation.
Webmaster for the comic Stupid and Insane Defenders Against Chaos: http://www.onezumi.com
harknell
Site Admin

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Tue May 05, 2009 11:44 am

I hope that will be feasible; I don't have a credit card and don't plan on getting one for the next decade or so.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby lovelyluthien » Tue May 05, 2009 1:57 pm

I have a similar problem... (hello fellow Germans!)

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to pay the full price for the book then. Shame about the full size pictures, though. :|

I'm happy that you work on other payment solutions!
Avatar courtesy of SteveMB and Erfworld.
lovelyluthien

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Tue May 12, 2009 1:18 pm

Just out of curiosity: Anything new on the "credit cards only" thing? If got some bucks in my paypal account I'd like to use for paying in advance.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby heng » Wed May 13, 2009 4:27 am

AFAIK not.

paypal smartassed me with a:
"that's a setting your supplier has set, you can't do anything about it, so you don't need to know what it means."
(i'm paraphrasing...")

since there is a 'Donate' button now... no, let me correct this, there was the following quote on the news:
Now, having said all of that, we actually are accepting flat-out donations. And very gratefully. We have certain one-time costs associated with launching the site, including the need to get our legal house in order (that one alone may come to $2,000). So if you do feel the urge to throw money at the project, we will not say no! We will, in fact, say a loud THANK YOU. Just paypal to gobwinknob (at) gmail.com.

i stopped bothering people about it, since one just can sent a few bucks until things work out...

heng

PS: no that i tried to link to the news entry (as of 13th may '09: http://www.erfworld.com/page/3/) allow me to suggest, that the site could allow permanent linking to a news item... currently the links seem to get shifted down the natural numbers... which makes nice book keeping for static pages, not necessarily so for continously updating news... not a big MUST, more of a nice to have detail for the forum posters ;-)
heng

Postby Marller » Wed May 27, 2009 1:05 pm

Hello everyone and fellow germans,

just tried the yearly subscription button and to my dismay it too wants a renewing payment.
Like for most people in this thread, it's not working for me.
The reason most likely "Lastschrift" (direct debit or direct withdrawal in translation says wikipedia).
I hope that sooner or later a option for a single payment will be added (or maybe direct debit activated in those mysterious settings).
Marller
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby harknell » Wed May 27, 2009 1:39 pm

I just did a look through of Paypal's system and it unfortunately does not present us with any options for how payments are accepted (meaning we can't tell it to allow money to be taken from a bank account or general paypal funds). I think the "fraud protection" they refer to there forces the credit card to be present as the payment source. I'll consult with Rob and Jamie about more subscription options.
harknell
Site Admin

Postby cservant » Fri May 29, 2009 3:56 am

Suggestion:

You could do it internal way which would bypass using paypal subscriptions. The public access unix system(yes they exist!) I use, does it like that from the start. It makes more sense this way, since you already are keeping track of the amount put in, amount available for the store, etc,. Keep things monthly, but don't allow monthly payments. Make the smallest payment a min. of 3 month in advance, recommend to pay a year or more in advance. The more you pay in advance you get a bonus or something.

Of course you already are doing that for yearly subscriptions =)

So it's a minor suggestion.
Wait a minute...
cservant
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby angra » Fri May 29, 2009 4:02 pm

I understand the desire (need) for a predictable, recurring revenue stream, but I really wish we could just buy a subcription without auto recurring. I would be willing to buy multiple years in advance if that was allowed, but recurring payments are bad for me. They also appear to give some potential customers technical difficulties.
angra
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby atom » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:36 pm

Could you maybe provide billing methods that do not involve paypal? Like, for instance, direct wire transfer? Paypal for some reason does not offer adding funds to my paypal account in my country, and I wouldn't object to having that yearly toolship - so, in the absence of paypal availability, what can I do?

So, other methods of payment requested.

Regards,

G
atom

Postby Anton Gaist » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:54 pm

atom wrote:Could you maybe provide billing methods that do not involve paypal? Like, for instance, direct wire transfer? Paypal for some reason does not offer adding funds to my paypal account in my country, and I wouldn't object to having that yearly toolship - so, in the absence of paypal availability, what can I do?

So, other methods of payment requested.

Regards,

G

I have both problems here, not having (nor wanting) a credit card, and living in a country that PayPal no longer supports (they said something about massive credit card frauds and stuff xP). So please, any other way of becoming a tool?
Anton Gaist

Postby heng » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:16 am

:(
i am very sorry to report this, but the yearly subscription option mention ed in this thread does not solve this specific problem.
the issue seems to be related to the 'reccurring' option, not the time frame of the reoccurrence...

paypal germany still requires my non-existing credit card... well, seems to be the price of automation..
*sigh* maybe it's time to stop studying and get a real job with real money and a real credit rating... :|
heng

Postby Lithorien » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:29 am

Hi, I'm new, but I just wanted to chime in with this - If you don't have a credit card linked to your account, PayPal seems to allow recurring subscriptions another way. I have a checking account linked to my PayPal account, without any credit cards, and I was able to sign up as a Tool using the eCheck option that PayPal has. So maybe that's an option for people who don't have a credit or debit card, but do have checking accounts?
Lithorien

Postby Anton Gaist » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:57 pm

Lithorien wrote:Hi, I'm new, but I just wanted to chime in with this - If you don't have a credit card linked to your account, PayPal seems to allow recurring subscriptions another way. I have a checking account linked to my PayPal account, without any credit cards, and I was able to sign up as a Tool using the eCheck option that PayPal has. So maybe that's an option for people who don't have a credit or debit card, but do have checking accounts?

Regrettably, that doesn't seem to be an option in my case, for some reason none of the banks here is not recognized by PayPal. Maybe it only works in the States?

I would ask, please, find a way to make it non recurring. Do that and I'll jump right into the Tool wagon.
Gentlemen, I like war.
I like trench war, I like Blitzkrieg, I like the offensive, I like the defensive.
I truly love each and every kind of war man can wage on a tabletop game.
Anton Gaist

Postby ShirKhan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:59 pm

*bump*

So, I'd love to become a (yearly) tool *and* pre-order the book. But since I don't have a credit card -- a rather common condition in central Europe --, I can't do either at the moment. Any other options available yet?

kR Shir Khan
ShirKhan

Return to Suggestions/Requests