Book 2 - Page 2

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 - Page 2

Postby Vorteks » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:53 pm

I just want to say how happy I am that Erfworld book 2 is started, how awesome the comic is, and how impressed I am with Xin's art. It fits great with the existing art from book 1, and yet still has some of its own individuality. Kudos all around.
Vorteks
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Wender » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:12 pm

First, I'd like to second all the accolades for the new artist. Nicely done.

Diodri wrote:I think that if Ansom is alone against his two brothers though, he'd be okay. He was (presumably) the first to pop, and so the higehst level of the three brothers, and he also gets Wanda decrypting bonus. He could probably win two on one.

I don't see why he'd chance it, given his strategy so far. He's been extremely conservative up to this point, using a doctrine of overwhelming force with no tricks, nothing fancy, and minimal exposure of the critical players [I meant to insert a link here, but I don't know what happened to the text of Summer Update #33. I assume this is just a hangover from the nightmare emergency server move?]. If he's talking to them it's because he believes they will act in good faith (Princess Cruz was killed, yes, but this isn't Unaroyal it's his own beloved Jetstone!) and because he either believes that he can evangelize them to his new side, or because he doesn't believe they have a chance against his new army and he wants to spare as many of them as possible. The latter seems unlikely just because any of the Jetstone side who die will wind up "seeing the light" in exactly the same way that he did.

This seems to me to be a significant blunder by the Army of Darkness. Not only has Ansom opened the door to the possibility of Slately pulling a Queen Bea, but he has bought time for Slately to contact all his allies, including highly mobile allies like TV and Faq. (At least they're unlikely to hire Charlie now, or it would be a really colossal blunder.) Dumb, dumb, dumb. Even if none of the allies can come in time to save Jetstone, they have that much more time to talk to each other, to plan, to act in a coordinated fashion--while GK's army is far from the capital, and its dwagons are spammed all over the place. Oh, and Jillian's on the wing with a massive air force.
Wender

Postby raphfrk » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:55 pm

Wender wrote:I don't see why he'd chance it, given his strategy so far. He's been extremely conservative up to this point, using a doctrine of overwhelming force with no tricks, nothing fancy, and minimal exposure of the critical players [I meant to insert a link here, but I don't know what happened to the text of Summer Update #33.

You could link to the wiki.

The direct link is here, but page 2 seems to be hard coded, so that image shows for all the news posts.

If he's talking to them it's because he believes they will act in good faith (Princess Cruz was killed, yes, but this isn't Unaroyal it's his own beloved Jetstone!) and because he either believes that he can evangelize them to his new side, or because he doesn't believe they have a chance against his new army and he wants to spare as many of them as possible. The latter seems unlikely just because any of the Jetstone side who die will wind up "seeing the light" in exactly the same way that he did.

It could be the same issue, if he can get Jetstone to ally, then their forces can die for GK twice.

This seems to me to be a significant blunder by the Army of Darkness. Not only has Ansom opened the door to the possibility of Slately pulling a Queen Bea,

Well, it shows that they are willing to talk. If they offer surrender, even after what happened with Bea, it helps with their propaganda campaign.

"Now that we have reclaimed our cities, we want only peace (and to spread Toolism). Jetstone and Unaroyal hate Stanley and just wouldn't agree to peace terms."

Ofc, that is probably not worth losing Ansom over.

but he has bought time for Slately to contact all his allies, including highly mobile allies like TV and Faq.

I don't think any time has been lost. He presumably stopped a hex or 2 before Spacerock, so isn't being slowed down. In fact, the next hex is probably the one containing Spacerock. Otherwise, Ossomer and Tremenis are out of position and wouldn't be able to help with the defence if GK's army blasts through them and hits the capital.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Updog » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:33 pm

DarkNewton wrote:
Sixty wrote:She's not on a dwagon, she's on a sourmander (http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Sourmanders).

Ahhh that makes much more sense, especially when you put the troopers heads into the picture.

Thanks!

But it has eyebrows!
Updog

Postby BoopingCynic » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:37 pm

Wender wrote:First, I'd like to second all the accolades for the new artist. Nicely done.

Diodri wrote:I think that if Ansom is alone against his two brothers though, he'd be okay. He was (presumably) the first to pop, and so the higehst level of the three brothers, and he also gets Wanda decrypting bonus. He could probably win two on one.

I don't see why he'd chance it, given his strategy so far. He's been extremely conservative up to this point, using a doctrine of overwhelming force with no tricks, nothing fancy, and minimal exposure of the critical players [I meant to insert a link here, but I don't know what happened to the text of Summer Update #33. I assume this is just a hangover from the nightmare emergency server move?]. If he's talking to them it's because he believes they will act in good faith (Princess Cruz was killed, yes, but this isn't Unaroyal it's his own beloved Jetstone!) and because he either believes that he can evangelize them to his new side, or because he doesn't believe they have a chance against his new army and he wants to spare as many of them as possible. The latter seems unlikely just because any of the Jetstone side who die will wind up "seeing the light" in exactly the same way that he did.

This seems to me to be a significant blunder by the Army of Darkness. Not only has Ansom opened the door to the possibility of Slately pulling a Queen Bea, but he has bought time for Slately to contact all his allies, including highly mobile allies like TV and Faq. (At least they're unlikely to hire Charlie now, or it would be a really colossal blunder.) Dumb, dumb, dumb. Even if none of the allies can come in time to save Jetstone, they have that much more time to talk to each other, to plan, to act in a coordinated fashion--while GK's army is far from the capital, and its dwagons are spammed all over the place. Oh, and Jillian's on the wing with a massive air force.

But in the corner you can see a Dwagon, probably the front of the AotD so you can see he's playing it safe and the other Princes also have an army behind them (the red tents) making it probable that the AotD is in the hex with the princes it is Jetstone's turn and the Army of Jetstone is 1 or 2 hexes back making it fairly safe for both sides because presumably he can hold them off until support arrives and Ansom can't attack :ugeek:.
P.s. Sourmanders have EYEBROWS http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Sourmanders :roll:.
Here lies a toppled God\
His fall was not a small one\
We did but build his pedestal\
A narrow and a tall one.
~ Tlielaxu Epigram ~
BoopingCynic

Postby warriortribble » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:14 am

A bit off topic, but I'm guessing the lost joke that tempted Rob oh so very much would be considered noncanon?
warriortribble

Postby Albatross! » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:16 am

I like the new artstyle. It's different, but similar enough that it's consistent. And most of all, it looks awesome. ^_^ Also love the panel of Ansom leading a dance fight. The image of a hero smirking confidently while leading his troops in a disco routine is rather inspiring. :D

Even if he does die horribly afterwards, mind you.
Albatross!

Postby Godsire » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:00 am

Well, am I the first one who's gonna say I really miss Jamie ?

Sure the new art resembles Jamie's style a lot, and it's awesome, but the comic has lost a bit of it's touch of peacefullness and grooviness I liked about it when I read the first page when there we're only 5 pages or so.

However, I do check this site 4 times a day to see if a new update or something might have been posted beside the regular updates.

The story, however, is so awesome and so well written by you Rob, I couldn't miss it for a day. I've always been a dreamer who works his way into other worlds of fantasy by my own mind, but you sure as hell make me wonder off to Erfworld a lot of times in a nice way.

Yeah, registered on your new site again just to tell you guys how awesome you are. Rock on! Or out ;)
Godsire

Postby Pax » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:07 am

mhangman wrote:omg wanda is so beatiful. i think im falling love :P she doesnt look like a cracy witch, more like jean darc

And yet, Jean d'Arc was burned at the stake, for being ... get this ... a crazy witch. :lol:
Pax

Postby Gez » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:44 am

mhangman wrote:omg wanda is so beatiful. i think im falling love :P she doesnt look like a cracy witch, more like jean darc

Wehanne d'Arc == Janda?
Image Image Image

I'm not seeing it, guys. Jeanne is kinda lacking in the "red leather cleavage armor + black iron codpiece, spiky shoulderpads and demonskull helmet" department.
Gez

Postby Lady Nerevar » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:42 am

Gez wrote:

Wehanne d'Arc == Janda?
Image Image Image

I'm not seeing it, guys. Jeanne is kinda lacking in the "red leather cleavage armor + black iron codpiece, spiky shoulderpads and demonskull helmet" department.

what are you talking about? she totally has those things.
Lady Nerevar

Postby Phædrus2129 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:39 pm

Well done, sir! :lol:
Phædrus2129

Postby Mask » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:44 pm

Just like with the first comic this one is very impressive save for an oddity of anatomy in a single panel(In this case Parsons arms in the second panel). I realize that Jamie's shoes are big too fill, and stuff like that'll probably dissapear over time once the new artist gets used to drawing the characters.

That being said, the Xin has really captured the feel of erfworld very, very well. Huge cudos on that one, that's both critical and difficult to pull off.
Mask

Postby Gez » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:26 pm

Phædrus2129 wrote:Well done, sir! :lol:

Lady is a lady. ;)
Gez

Postby Phædrus2129 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:44 pm

Sorry. :oops:

Well done lady! :P

The image isn't showing up now, though. :?
Phædrus2129

Postby tez » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:14 pm

This comic gets weirder the longer you think about it. Why the hell are the erfworlders even having sex? They don't need it for procreation, everyone "pops" (tangent: how much of the internal equipment do they even have? Do they have DNA, or even cells, for Christ's sake??) There is no in-world reason for them to even have sex organs. It's purely for the benefit of the narrative, to give some extra depth to the characters, to make them slightly more relatable to the player or us, the readers. Weeeeeeeeeeeird.
tez

Postby Infidel » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:15 pm

It improves moral.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Lady Nerevar » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:36 pm

The image isn't showing up now, though.

imageshack is a bit slow sometimes...

Gez wrote:Lady is a lady. ;)

ok, i gota ask, Gez are you TR Gez?
Lady Nerevar

Postby dannom » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:17 pm

tez wrote:This comic gets weirder the longer you think about it. Why the hell are the erfworlders even having sex? They don't need it for procreation, everyone "pops" (tangent: how much of the internal equipment do they even have? Do they have DNA, or even cells, for Christ's sake??) There is no in-world reason for them to even have sex organs. It's purely for the benefit of the narrative, to give some extra depth to the characters, to make them slightly more relatable to the player or us, the readers. Weeeeeeeeeeeird.

I think this and other examples like restrictions on swearing and joke references that make sense in our world, but do not seem well understood in Erfworld indicates there is an audience [on both sides of the 4th wall].
dannom

Postby Gez » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:30 pm

Lady Nerevar wrote:ok, i gota ask, Gez are you TR Gez?

No, he's dead.
Gez

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions