Parson the Hippiemancer

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Re: Parson the Hippiemancer

Postby Lothmar » Thu May 14, 2009 10:40 am

Signomancy- communication without speech? ~Signs with his hands~ XD
Lothmar

Postby moose o death » Thu May 14, 2009 11:00 am

i didn't think casters were warlords, too expensive for that. mind you parson is noticeably expensive so that could be a non point.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Lothmar » Thu May 14, 2009 1:03 pm

MarbitChow wrote:My theory: Parson isn't actually a caster at all, but ANYONE can pass through the Magic Portal.
Assuming casters are physically weak, and can run out of juice, given enough expendable infantry to flood the island, you could capture dozens and dozens of high valuable targets.

To prevent this, the magic users just kill anyone they don't recognize as a caster, to keep their island safe from invasion.
The hippymancers have spread the rumor that the portals automatically disband non-casters, because they don't like killing, so now almost no one ever shows up uninvited.

Newer casters even believe the rumors about the portals, since they were popped long after the rumor has been taken as a given.
The hippymancers may even be the only ones who remember the truth, and now have to claim Parson as one of their own to prevent the secret from getting out.
Any other magic besides Hippymancer may cause one of the other casters to think "But I don't detect any naughtymancy (or whatever)."

I have another theory to add. Perhaps it was luckamancy. If we remember back to when parson said his goodbyes to bogroll he said he tried to cast luckamancy but nothing happend. Perhaps it was simply the latent magic that improved his chances? and it was still before their turn when they returned to GK, so it could easily be possible.
Lothmar

Postby melhelix » Thu May 14, 2009 7:45 pm

Lawence of Awabia wrote:I'm guessing that it's more of an Applied magic type; like we figure Dollmancy involves making Cloth Golems, I bet Signamancy involves MAKING signs in some way, rather than reading them. I could be wrong. Probably am.

I like this. I like this alot. And the reason I like it is because Parson used to work at Kinkos, a print shop that makes, among other things, literal signs. :P
melhelix
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby OnyxNoir » Thu May 14, 2009 7:55 pm

Erik wrote:
RebelWulf wrote:Ok... so, i have two theories on this one. Bear with me a little here while i shoot wildly at the darkness.

Theory One: Parson is not actually a caster
The grand abbie just said this to stop the casters from blowing him into tiny little chunks.

I suppose I'll be the boring one and vote for theory numero uno then.

I too,thought this when i first read the strip. Though you do make a compelling case for the second...
OnyxNoir

Postby Kreistor » Fri May 15, 2009 12:22 am

Rob said in a response that it was about signs, as in the Peace sign, and Protest signs. What that likely means is that it involves a lot of gestures to make magic. The possibilities are quite broad. You've got your basic curse signs, but also a curse blocker (anti-evil eye sign), thumbs up, etc. And then the actual signs you can write and place up... for instance you might make a banner that confers bonuses to the Stack carrying it.

But the most boring part of Singamancy is the duels. Not very flashym like Shockmancy. A Signmancy duel would come down to Rock, Paper, Scissors.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby Lothmar » Fri May 15, 2009 12:39 am

XD Im just imagineing some of the erfworld translations for classic signs.

'Beware of weiner rammers'
'dwagon crossing'
'My other mount is your capital'
'Disband me'
'
Lothmar

Postby Frogpop » Fri May 15, 2009 1:05 am

"Plot Happens."
Frogpop
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby RebelWulf » Sun May 17, 2009 7:25 am

melhelix wrote:
Lawence of Awabia wrote:I'm guessing that it's more of an Applied magic type; like we figure Dollmancy involves making Cloth Golems, I bet Signamancy involves MAKING signs in some way, rather than reading them. I could be wrong. Probably am.

I like this. I like this alot. And the reason I like it is because Parson used to work at Kinkos, a print shop that makes, among other things, literal signs. :P

You know, i didn't even notice that.
Might be my distinct lack of ever visiting the real world equivalent :P
"I Booped her right in the Booping Parking lot!"
"... You gotta be Booping kidding me? BOOP YEAH!"
RebelWulf

Postby LadyTL » Wed May 20, 2009 1:58 am

Coming in out of the woods here but perhaps signamancy is in fact being able to read "signs" to do an action of inaction at the exact right moment but not knowing the end result of that action/inaction. This makes sense to me with the whole fate angle as you would be leaving your actions up to fate just knowing that you acted/did not act in the exact right moment you needed to. Predictamancy though would tell you your fate but not the actions that would lead up to that, supported by Wanda being told she would one day attune to an Arkentool but not how she would get there to do so.
LadyTL

Postby Kreistor » Wed May 20, 2009 8:16 am

LadyTL, Rob Balder, the author, has stated Signamancy is about signs of the Peace sign, and protest signs. In other words, the Signamancer makes signs.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby InInUrForumz » Wed May 20, 2009 9:12 am

All very interesting points, and I VERY much look forward to seeing a Signomancer in action in the story....but with that said, I seriously doubt Parson is a caster of any kind. (Unless you count using items like his bracer as 'casting', which I don't). Keep in mind that virtually everything in Erfworld is governed by rules, most of which are deceptively simple. It's entirely possible that the portal "decides" who to allow through or not based on some invisible stat. We already KNOW invisible stats exist, Word of God has said that more than a few times. Maybe the portal has a simple command line such as "If type = noncaster, no entry". But since Parson isn't from Erfworld, he isn't a caster OR a noncaster. He just doesn't have that stat. It could be that easy.

And then the Hippymancer, being a peaceful beatnik, lets out a little white lie to save Parson's life. Why would she say he's a Hippymancer? Again, easy.... because then if anyone questioned her on it, she could claim he was one of her students, or that she knew him from Bongmaking 101, or any number of things. The closer to home you make a lie, the easier it is to keep it intact.
InInUrForumz

Postby Bobby Archer » Wed May 20, 2009 3:40 pm

InInUrForumz wrote:Maybe the portal has a simple command line such as "If type = noncaster, no entry". But since Parson isn't from Erfworld, he isn't a caster OR a noncaster. He just doesn't have that stat. It could be that easy.

I like this thought quite a bit. It makes me think back to the bit about no one being able to see Parson's stats, not even himself. His ability to go through the magical gate could be related to Erfworld not considering him a unit in the literal sense.

And, if the Grand Abbie really believes that Parson can bring peace to Erfworld, then she has a reason to keep him alive if she's able.
Uncroaked for Hire

No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.
Bobby Archer

Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity

Postby nerf-dweller » Wed May 20, 2009 5:26 pm

LadyTL wrote:Coming in out of the woods here but perhaps signamancy is in fact being able to read "signs" to do an action of inaction at the exact right moment but not knowing the end result of that action/inaction. This makes sense to me with the whole fate angle as you would be leaving your actions up to fate just knowing that you acted/did not act in the exact right moment you needed to. Predictamancy though would tell you your fate but not the actions that would lead up to that, supported by Wanda being told she would one day attune to an Arkentool but not how she would get there to do so.

This sounds like the best explanation about Parson being a Hippiemancer. Being able to read the "signs" of battle well and reacting to them, as Parson explain in his rally speech, is a sign of a good war leader. So being a Master Class Signomancer (even w/o the spells) seems to be part of the Perfect Warlord.
nerf-dweller

Postby nerf-dweller » Wed May 20, 2009 5:30 pm

InInUrForumz wrote:All very interesting points, and I VERY much look forward to seeing a Signomancer in action in the story....but with that said, I seriously doubt Parson is a caster of any kind.

Parson probably has the potential of being a caster. He has the skill, but no knowledge. Since Parson is not of Erfworld, he didn't pop into existence with all of the knowledge to be any type of conscious casting.
nerf-dweller

Postby InInUrForumz » Thu May 21, 2009 3:32 am

nerf-dweller wrote:
InInUrForumz wrote:All very interesting points, and I VERY much look forward to seeing a Signomancer in action in the story....but with that said, I seriously doubt Parson is a caster of any kind.

Parson probably has the potential of being a caster. He has the skill, but no knowledge. Since Parson is not of Erfworld, he didn't pop into existence with all of the knowledge to be any type of conscious casting.

We don't know that. We've seen casters get tired after extended efforts of spellcasting, especially in battle. This implies the existance of a mana system of some type. If so, Parson wouldn't be able to be a caster because he simply didn't have the necessary stats.

Primarily though... I don't see it happening for story reasons. Parson is just starting to explore how his morality and personal responsibility fit into the setting of Erfworld, and I imagine it will take a LONG time to culminate that story. Add Stanley's Quest on top of that, trying to figure out the mysterious Charlie, where and what the fourth Tool is, and of course the wars going on in/around all of the above issues.... It seems to be like it would take Parson a LOT of study to become a caster, even if it IS possible, and I don't see him having the time to do so.
InInUrForumz

Postby Housellama » Thu May 21, 2009 7:05 pm

I have a hard time seeing Parsons as NOT being a Caster. I was thoroughly unsurprised to hear that he was a Hippiemancer.

Think about it. Casters have the ability to cross over in their disciplines. Both Sizemore and Wanda do exactly that quite a bit. Parsons, through the spell, has displayed talents in Mathamancy, Thinkamancy (Ruthlessness) and Luckomancy (with the veil on Bogroll not being broken and the bit on the cereal box) . He more or less holds his own with Charlie, who's a master class Thinkamancer. And his connections with Fate are all over the place. Let's face it, the spell has all the trappings of fate around it. I could easily see Parsons as a Signamancer.

-Tug
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby InInUrForumz » Fri May 22, 2009 8:32 am

Housellama wrote:I have a hard time seeing Parsons as NOT being a Caster. I was thoroughly unsurprised to hear that he was a Hippiemancer.

Think about it. Casters have the ability to cross over in their disciplines. Both Sizemore and Wanda do exactly that quite a bit. Parsons, through the spell, has displayed talents in Mathamancy, Thinkamancy (Ruthlessness) and Luckomancy (with the veil on Bogroll not being broken and the bit on the cereal box) . He more or less holds his own with Charlie, who's a master class Thinkamancer. And his connections with Fate are all over the place. Let's face it, the spell has all the trappings of fate around it. I could easily see Parsons as a Signamancer.

-Tug

The Mathamancy was due to his bracer, not him. The Ruthlessness was due to the sword that popped. The rations that popped the last day had a "full day's worth of Luckomancy", which is probably where that came from. Especially since Parson says he tried to cast a Luckomancy spell and nothing happened. All of these are related to items/status buffs from rations, not innate abilities to Parson. I don't think any of these things imply that he has casting ability.

As far as Charlie, yes, he more or less holds his own...with a mix of his native intelligence, Maggie's protection, and the advice of his group of casters. Nothing I saw in his dealings with Charlie implies that Parson himself has any magical ability. Also, and here's the real kicker...the time element. By all indications, Sizemore has been studying under Janis for a long time, and still hasn't learned any Hippymancy. If progress is that slow for someone who we already KNOW is a caster, imagine how long it would take for someone who's starting fresh. Not only would Parson be starting from scratch, but he barely has a basic understanding of the magic system in the first place! With all the wars I see happening on the horizon, I just do NOT see Parson having the time to train in magic.
InInUrForumz

Postby Darkside007 » Fri May 22, 2009 12:35 pm

You can't use Sizemore as a training timeframe; it's made very clear that he has no ability outside of his field.
Darkside007

Postby Housellama » Tue May 26, 2009 7:50 pm

InInUrForumz wrote:
Housellama wrote:I have a hard time seeing Parsons as NOT being a Caster. I was thoroughly unsurprised to hear that he was a Hippiemancer.

-Tug

The Mathamancy was due to his bracer, not him. The Ruthlessness was due to the sword that popped. The rations that popped the last day had a "full day's worth of Luckomancy", which is probably where that came from. Especially since Parson says he tried to cast a Luckomancy spell and nothing happened. All of these are related to items/status buffs from rations, not innate abilities to Parson. I don't think any of these things imply that he has casting ability.

All of those things can be interpreted to imply that he SHOULD. Parsons is not of that world, and thus the Spell is having to compensate. Even the last Rations mention that. The 3D glasses are a perfect example. Would you say that they are an item buff? No, that's an innate ability that all units have that Parsons does not that the Spell is making up for. Perhaps the Mathamancy, Luckamancy and Thinkamancy are talents he SHOULD have that the Spell had to provide externally because of what Parsons is.

-Tug
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else Erfworld