Book 2 – Text Updates 005

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 005

Postby raphfrk » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:01 am

Krennson wrote:so... the KING of transylvito can't fly, but his warlords CAN. that's.... very interesting.

I wonder what the game-logic of something like that is? are all royals members of the same root 'tribe', and thus incapable of flying, unlike some sort of subordinate translyvitan tribe that pops 'noble' or 'common' warlords?

Maybe, it is like in Chess, the King has low move and thus loses the ability to fly. Presumably, he can still use flying mounts. However, TV probably doesn't have any of those. Maybe he should buy one from Jillian :).

Alternatively, it could be that they get flight when they hit a certain level. Normally, an heir would spend time as chief warlord, so would gain a few levels. Since Don was king so early, he never gained those levels. Now that he is king, it would be to risky to fight.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Coriat » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:10 am

regisminae wrote:Jetstone and Transylvito are allied, so I don't see why the doombat would need to be anywhere unnoticed. It sounds like it's staying out of the way, out of the potential battle zone, but still able to see things when it needs to.

Quite. The bat is there to keep TV informed, not to fight.
Now, blind, I started groping over each;
I called to them for two days; but
the fasting had more force than the grief.
-Ugolino
Coriat

Postby PlotArmour » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:55 am

Undead Prince wrote:It seems more and more obvious GK is being set up for a defeat.

First, we have Parson not participating in the battle (and generally not being too enthusiastic about it). When the protagonist's not leading the attack, it's a bad sign.

Second, we have Jack disabled. A powerful Caster and a noteworthy character; again, his absence from the field does not bode well for GK.

Third, the Gillian/Wanda mechanic. Gillian is hell-bent on revenge; Wanda still seems to be unstable when things concern Gillian. Her shocked expression upon hearing of the "Queen of Faq" clearly points to her inner turmoil. And a confused commander is a commander half defeated already.

Fourth, the Ansom/Ossomer/Gillian triangle. The killing of his brother made Ansom doubt his Decrypted ideology; going against Gillian will likely throw him into more disarray. Ossomer himself does not seem enthusiastic at all about being the new GK warlord. Again, confusion in the GK command.

Finally, in this latest update we are led to believe (through Don King) that if the Jetstone capital is lost, RCC2 is basically screwed and GK wins forever. From the point of storytelling, that would not be a desired outcome; therefore, GK will not succeed.

Now, the exact nature of the defeat is open to speculation. But in general, things point towards Wanda and all other GK-ers (including Ansom and Parson) getting a big wake-up call.

Good to see Undead Prince again. And as usual, his take is right. I just got into this comic, and I have a grim feeling the plot is heading the same way as Order of the Stick did when Xykon effortlessly beat V, even though it was absurd and insulting to watch, knowing V should be able to win at any time, while getting handed the idiot ball.

I pray this is not where the plot takes us now, right after I got into it. Maybe that's what the delay is about, a re-wirte because of all the holes people pointed out in the current plot. I'm not into games, but cased off what we've seen so far, it's just looking hard for a GK loss in this battle, let alone a disaster... they just seem to outgun the other side completely right now, to the point that Gillian should be useless... she has a mystery caster... so what... GK has quite a few... I don't see how they lose, but I can be convinced by good writing...
PlotArmour

Postby kefkakrazy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:53 am

I loved the Xykon/V fight from Order of the Stick, don't know what you're talking about.

I do agree that here, it's looking like some circumstance we don't know about that will twist things up. I still think it possible Wanda goes rogue. I also consider it possible that, assuming Decrypted royals can form sides, they just flatten Jetstone and Wanda sets herself up as her own side and turns on GK to make a grab for the Arkenhammer.

I dunno. Things have been slightly bland for Book 2 so far; here's hoping we get some more excitement. I think one thing is that Wanda's new personality and look really don't do it for me, still, which leaves the comic lacking in the kind of snark she brought to the table. There's no major standout character aside from Jack (and, for some of you, Scarlet), which means that for someone very character-driven like me, things are dull. I'm hoping either Wanda goes back to "normal", or we see someone else take up the slack; with Jack getting so little face-time, I'm a bit bored. Stanley hasn't had a good blowup, which leaves him just strutting around being a prick, Ansom fails to arouse much interest with his Toolism (though his reaction to Ossomer's death was a pretty interesting spike!).

If you ask me, Xin Ye is doing an excellent job. That much is certain. But in my opinion, she needs to work a bit on a couple of things. Her art conveys what is going on quite well, no complaints there, but her facial expressions and the characters themselves are coming across as a bit bland. I'd like to see more of, for example, what we saw from the Dittomancer/Warlord in Page 7's second panel; aside from that, the most interesting expression a character has had was Wanda's "oh crap" face when Jillian was mentioned... which, incidentally, was pretty much her first facial expression at all in Book 2, which probably contributes to the above statements. The art is of good quality, and you could easily get through Book 2 without changing a thing; but for it to excel, and to really appeal to me personally, there needs to be more "pop" to it, more expression. Even things like the Flash Mob were a bit dull; things like that ought to be larger and take up more than part of a single panel. The GK units decloaking in Page 4 would have been much better as a larger splash panel, instead of being crunched down in one panel like that. If I have to crack open the hi-res archives and zoom way, way in in order to perceive fine details in a panel with as much potential to be evocative and impressive as that one had, there's something off.
kefkakrazy

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:29 am

Sixty wrote:Heh, I wonder what Rob changed/added and I wonder if we'll ever find out what it was. I also wonder if he saw a forum idea he liked and couldn't resist or whether it came to him another way?

Seconded. Especially since Erfworld facts are used in debates we speculationators are engaged in.

kefkakrazy wrote:I do agree that here, it's looking like some circumstance we don't know about that will twist things up. I still think it possible Wanda goes rogue. I also consider it possible that, assuming Decrypted royals can form sides, they just flatten Jetstone and Wanda sets herself up as her own side and turns on GK to make a grab for the Arkenhammer.

I dunno. Things have been slightly bland for Book 2 so far; here's hoping we get some more excitement. I think one thing is that Wanda's new personality and look really don't do it for me, still, which leaves the comic lacking in the kind of snark she brought to the table. There's no major standout character aside from Jack (and, for some of you, Scarlet), which means that for someone very character-driven like me, things are dull.

I've been barking about Wanda going on her own since the moment the volcano got decrypted, but as of late I don't think the timing would be right ... unless the Jack (and Ansom) issue will push things over the edge.

Now, you and others claim that nothing interesting happened, character-wise, in the second book. I disagree, it's been only a few strips, things don't have to be paced like a beer commercial. And even in those few strips, we see Ansom showing signs of independent thought, which I for one used to get some mileage in a debate on whether Decryption is evil. That was interesting! Also interesting was Stanley's reaction to Wanda's question.

Stanley is one character people here hate, except me. I keep expecting that his overlord shtick will either lead to character growth or classical tragedy; I see potential in the character, and every once in a while, character growth seems right around the corner ... only to be virtually reset on next seeing the Tool. Hopefully this time it's not just a tease but the real thing.

Of course for me there's also "Scarlet", at the level of "potential character". She's not, actually, a character right now, much to my (and other fans') annoyance. Maybe it's the Red Sonja thing as someone suggested, maybe it's that page where she is last seen holding the Pliers, maybe there's a weird projection/relatability thing going on, but for whatever reason some people expect this lump of pixels to reveal hidden depths. Which likely won't happen.

So at least there's likely to be interesting developments for Ansom, Stanley and, not from the above list, Jillian. Wanda has also developped into a character that people dislike, so that's change too.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Justyn » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:35 am

Aris Katsaris wrote:My reaction is "well, the new schedule didn't last very long either". I'd hoped that the gap between Books 1 and 2 would have been used to create some sort of buffer to prevent this sort of random delay.

It was intended to, but apparently there was more than just the artist switch from Jamie to Xin going on. I'm not 100% comfortable talking about things Rob said in the IRC here in the forums. I'll just say that bringing in Xin was not the first thing that Rob did.
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:44 am

Justyn wrote:It was intended to, but apparently there was more than just the artist switch from Jamie to Xin going on. I'm not 100% comfortable talking about things Rob said in the IRC here in the forums. I'll just say that bringing in Xin was not the first thing that Rob did.

Uh, sorry what?

If you mean disclosing information that would reveal future plans about the comic's story, things that right now should be known to only the creative team, then what's that doing on IRC in what I suspect is a public channel?

Converse-wise, isn't anything that gets chatted on the IRC with regular forumites fair game to be mentioned here? In which case please tell?
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby themysticalone » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:12 am

Nebulious wrote:One other thought that came to mind: how powerful is Don King? He's apparently never fought in real battles personally, but he seems to be old and have a lot control over his bats. You guys think he's slowly climbed to a pretty high level?

I really think this suggests that there are plenty of non-combat ways to level. He's also survived, what, two takeover attempts from heirs? Would he be able to do that if not for some extra levels to add ability?
Read Fodi at baldninja.com
themysticalone

Postby Firkraag » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:24 am

Don King is on the wrong side of the war.

First of all, vampires should be with the evil & undead guys. Second, Mafia-style bloodsuckers are too awesome to be with Jetstone.

Every update makes me wish there was an Erf strategy game to play.
Lord Firkraag, player character
Conqueror of Europe, Middle-Earth, Erathia, Myth, Faerun, Old World.
Level 10 Undead Necromancer with 12 Artifacts

Acherusis
a Neverwinter Nights 2 adventure
by Lord Firkraag
Firkraag

Postby raphfrk » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:27 am

kefkakrazy wrote:I do agree that here, it's looking like some circumstance we don't know about that will twist things up. I still think it possible Wanda goes rogue. I also consider it possible that, assuming Decrypted royals can form sides, they just flatten Jetstone and Wanda sets herself up as her own side and turns on GK to make a grab for the Arkenhammer.

That could be a reason for Jack being disabled. If he was alive he would have to enter the Jetstone's castle. Now, he can retreat (or be carried) with the GK forces.

Also, it would be another reason why Wanda doesn't want to waste a healing scroll. If he isn't decrypted, he is useless to her.

Sinrus wrote:Sizemore has done it, and I assume that once Charlie made an eyebook "account" that he would have just as much access as anyone else, if not more.

That could also indicate that Parson accidently sent his request to the broadcast channel :) (esp, since Bogroll wasn't actually a member of the network). Also, it is unclear if the others could read his notes.

When Charlie hacked in, Maggie said that she thought they were secure, so he probably asked her about it. Perhaps, there are private sections to the eyebooks and he had asked about them.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 am

Three things I noticed:
-From above, Megalogwiffins look like giant, fat slugs. Is it healthy for dwagons to eat them?
-It seems Spacerock doesn't has shockamancy air defences like GK or Chockula had. At least I think so, because Jillians air force waits at the tower. And since the towers, which border air zone are spelled, they would sit at ground zero in case they fire the defences.
-It's not completely unheard that a ruler leaves his capital and goes to a fight. Provided he has an heir.
Could that mean that Stanley will name an heir and participates in the fight? Will we see him finally rock out, with dozens of dance knights, archons, a level 10 chief warlord and Wanda?
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby doran » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:38 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
Justyn wrote:It was intended to, but apparently there was more than just the artist switch from Jamie to Xin going on. I'm not 100% comfortable talking about things Rob said in the IRC here in the forums. I'll just say that bringing in Xin was not the first thing that Rob did.

Uh, sorry what?

If you mean disclosing information that would reveal future plans about the comic's story, things that right now should be known to only the creative team, then what's that doing on IRC in what I suspect is a public channel?

Converse-wise, isn't anything that gets chatted on the IRC with regular forumites fair game to be mentioned here? In which case please tell?

I think Justyn is referring to the no quoting Word of God from Rob on IRCrule.
MarbitChow wrote: Don't you get it yet? WE ARE THE MAGIC KINGDOM.
We're the people sitting around discussing our pet theories based on nomenclature, citing references, discussing ad nauseum while Parson finds out how it works.
doran
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby TheMutant » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:30 am

King County? I am unduly amused by this, considering that King County is where I live.

Actual plot-thoughts to follow when I am not dead tired.
Join the Erflings fanart gallery on DeviantArt!

Sixty wrote:Obviously the mystery caster has no particular feelings one way or the other about Parson, he simply heard "cue the Benny Hill music" and gave chase, compelled to do so by forces outside his control.
TheMutant
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lawd » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:09 am

TheMutant wrote:King County? I am unduly amused by this, considering that King County is where I live.

First thing I thought when I read Don King being the son of King County was "donkey kong country". Guess I was wrong. It's just the association I have with it, still hoping for some barrels in battles.
Lawd

Postby teratorn » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:47 am

Decrypting a few of those bats should be high on Parson's list.
teratorn

Postby the_tick_rules » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:25 pm

But they have free thinkagraming from the archons. Don really seems to have sunk a ton into Jillian huh?
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby teratorn » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:35 pm

the_tick_rules wrote:But they have free thinkagraming from the archons. Don really seems to have sunk a ton into Jillian huh?

Sometimes you'd need to risk the unit in order to do the scouting (like Vinny did when looking for the dwagon donut) and archons are a bit too valuable for that.
teratorn

Postby badninja » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:43 pm

I found this update interesting. Don King is growing on me and if RCC II fails he should switch over to GK's side. Stanly needs someone to show him how to be a ruler and Don King is the perfect choice. It would give Ansom's tactic some more power. Plus I want to see Jillian's face when she must work with Stanly as an ally. :D

On a side note I want to learn more about King Country and how he ran things. This bat is either really old because he knows when Don King was popped or he knows is sides history really well. Don King took over at 15 turns, he and Parson could share stories about sudden leadership and how to be an effective leader, because I got a hunch they would both like each other if they got to know each other.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby gameboy1234 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:52 pm

raphfrk wrote:
Krennson wrote:so... the KING of transylvito can't fly, but his warlords CAN. that's.... very interesting.

I wonder what the game-logic of something like that is? are all royals members of the same root 'tribe', and thus incapable of flying, unlike some sort of subordinate translyvitan tribe that pops 'noble' or 'common' warlords?

Maybe, it is like in Chess, the King has low move and thus loses the ability to fly. Presumably, he can still use flying mounts. However, TV probably doesn't have any of those. Maybe he should buy one from Jillian :).

This is a good thought and you may have something there. Although some factions seem to have royalty that can use mounts. Jillian for example, and I assume Ansom and Tremenis would have too, and probably Ossomer.

Alternately, like Parson, the king may just be too heavy to fly. Hmmm, like Parson....
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby theseus2x » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:27 pm

Most interesting : Bats have a limited transmit range.
theseus2x

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions