ErfWiki is under attack! Please read before helping.

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

ErfWiki is under attack! Please read before helping.

Postby Kreistor » Tue May 19, 2009 4:21 pm

We believe the culprit is a bot. It is replacing a large section of the Main Page with links and spam. I know you want to help, and I know you're well meaning, but if you help in the wrong way, you're going to cause (minor) problems.

Please note: it is REPLACING. That means Editing out the spam will delete sections of the Main Page. If you are trying to help, do not Edit the page. Instead, go to the History Tab of the Main Page and find the top entry. Hit the 'Undo' link on the far right. Next, check the change. Ensure the fix puts the Purpose section back.

This page was created by Rob and contains legalese necessary to protect himself. If your help deletes that, you're hurting Rob. If you don't know exactly what you're doing, then don't try to help. There are several of us that do know, and will ensure everything goes back to normal. Just wait a few minutes: we've got the page on Watch, and we'll get to it ASAP.

Note that if you help, the following sections should be present:
=Purpose=
=Terms=
=Rules=
=Making Stuff Up=
=Where to Start=

If any of these sections are not present after your help, just relax. We'll fix it. It's just a matter of hitting the right Undo's in the right order, so it's not a big deal. If you panic and try to fix it, you might make things far worse.

The solution will eventually have to be some sort of security, but we have to get Rob to notice what's happening first. this only started last night, so please be patient while we try to get this stopped.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Re: ErfWiki is under attack! Please read before helping.

Postby doran » Tue May 19, 2009 4:49 pm

Best thing to do is get the main page locked completely, or restrict it only to registered users.
MarbitChow wrote: Don't you get it yet? WE ARE THE MAGIC KINGDOM.
We're the people sitting around discussing our pet theories based on nomenclature, citing references, discussing ad nauseum while Parson finds out how it works.
doran
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby gameboy1234 » Tue May 19, 2009 7:38 pm

Yup, probably should password protect the wiki now. This won't go away. It would be best to tie the passwords into the forum names and passwords, so we don't have to re-register, but anything at all is better than bots messing stuff up.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Kreistor » Wed May 20, 2009 9:10 am

Okay, Harknell locked the page down, so we need to watch for the attacks to shift to other pages. Crossing my fingers and hoping it doesn't happen, but...
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby Sethram » Wed May 20, 2009 4:59 pm

Keep an eye on Populer Pages since I assume those would be next likely to be attacked.
Sethram

Return to Everything Else Erfworld