Page by page discussion of the comic.

Book 2 – Page 14

Postby balder » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:43 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Book 2 – Page 14

Postby gameboy1234 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:50 am

Woot! Update!

At least Wanda isn't down with "mistress." That would cause talk! ;)
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Spot » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:53 am

Interesting. Wanda, I think, is in the process of making a horrible mistake.

But, Ansom will most likely survive it... but Wanda and Ossomer may well not.
Spot

Postby PlotArmour » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:55 am

I count 68 dwagons... hrmmm... at least Ansom will be safe, and GK relatively secure after the screwjob.
PlotArmour

Postby fjolnir » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:57 am

it seems to me they're going with parson's plan, but wanda has something else in store as well, we might find out the answer to the "decrypted ruler"question...
fjolnir

Postby Nows7 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:01 am

I just wish I could get a bead on Stanly. He chews out parson for being late then he asks Parson's advice, then seems to be defensive of Ansom from Parson.

I feel like cape is a great form of signamancy - it makes him look like a child, as he acts like a child... However children CAN grow up...
Nows7
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby gameboy1234 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:02 am

Yes, Wanda seems to have something up her sleeve. Why else would she be giving directions to Ossomer now, when she could just issue them in battle. Also, Wanda is sure handling a lot of tactical details that I would have expected Parson to handle.

PlotArmour wrote:I count 68 dwagons...

Me too. Also, notice Wanda has switched from a pink to a plated red, just like Stanley's, although with a much awesomer head ornament.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby CnSvnc » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:03 am

I never thought I'd have sympathy for Ansom. Let's see how much strain Pliers' control can take. Also, Wanda's apparently aware of his eroding loyalty.

Also also, Jack is fine. The possibility that he might be croaked or decrypted never crossed my mind and was surprised to find some people on forums actually thought that might happen. He's too awesome to lose.
CnSvnc

Postby AllPurposeNerd » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:09 am

Just in case there was any doubt as to who was really running the show for Gobwin Knob (as she has been since book 1).

How much you wanna bet Parson already knows Charlescomm is there? He may or may not be including that in his calculations, depending on how he feels about Wanda's crusade, but I guarantee he won't be surprised when they drop the veil.

Unless of course it's like all of Charlescomm. That'd rustle anyone's jimmies.
Takeoff every Sig. You know what you do.
AllPurposeNerd
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby PlotArmour » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:12 am

CnSvnc wrote:I never thought I'd have sympathy for Ansom. Let's see how much strain Pliers' control can take. Also, Wanda's apparently aware of his eroding loyalty.

Also also, Jack is fine. The possibility that he might be croaked or decrypted never crossed my mind and was surprised to find some people on forums actually thought that might happen. He's too awesome to lose.

I'm not convinced it even is erroding... his fanaticism early on seemed like it would be impossible to kill off, and in this comic he backs down when Wanda stares at him... seems to me like she can control him when push comes to shove. It just seems wrong that her control/influence can be broken... I certainly couldn't see Stanley losing control of a Dwagon.

Also, I count a minimum of 20 Archons. All the Dwagons I see are mounted too, confirming my view that GK should win the battle on paper.
PlotArmour

Postby Lord Kasavin » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:16 am

Ouch!

Yes, thats a lot of Dwagons, but they don't get Ansom's bonus now. Units in the same hex would otherwise get +5 (if my memory serves) since he's the Chief Warlord. Ossomer might be close to Ansom's level, but as he's not Chief Warlord, units outside his stack won't get his Warlord bonus. That has to weaken Parson's calculated odds. I'd guesstimate a 10-20% dip, down to 50-80%. Of course, its a real possibility that Charlie snuck some Archons into Jetstone in Jillian's army, meaning odds could be even lower as even a few could see through Jack's Foolamancy.

Wanda is dangerously close to earning a disbanding. It must be obvious to her that leaving Ansom behind will noticeably weaken the Dwagon strike force. Hence, she orders Ansom to not inform Stanley. She just put her own need for a power trip over the success of the attack, not to mention her own safety.
"Act, and God will Act." - Joan of Arc

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Postby Sinrus » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:17 am

AllPurposeNerd wrote:Just in case there was any doubt as to who was really running the show for Gobwin Knob (as she has been since book 1).

How much you wanna bet Parson already knows Charlescomm is there? He may or may not be including that in his calculations, depending on how he feels about Wanda's crusade, but I guarantee he won't be surprised when they drop the veil.

I dunno, i just got this feeling that Parson will be so freaking surprised.

Also, there are so many more archons than I thought.
Sinrus

Postby PlotArmour » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:24 am

Hrmmm, I dunno, Ansom not being there is a loss... but in a way, won't it throw a huge wrench in Jillian's plans to get Ansom? It might end up being a boon.
PlotArmour

Postby Updog » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:27 am

I wonder what the significance of the dwagon formations is, yellows in a row up front, greens at the back, reds in the middle and blues and pinks interspersed on either side of the reds.

Also, why do you think ossomer is opting to use ansom's carpet and not a dwagon, surely a dwagon would boost ossomer's combat ability, unless the carpets provide an as of yet, unseen bonus?
Updog

Postby normalphil » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:29 am

Lord Kasavin wrote:Ouch!

Yes, thats a lot of Dwagons, but they don't get Ansom's bonus now. Units in the same hex would otherwise get +5 (if my memory serves) since he's the Chief Warlord. Ossomer might be close to Ansom's level, but as he's not Chief Warlord, units outside his stack won't get his Warlord bonus. That has to weaken Parson's calculated odds. I'd guesstimate a 10-20% dip, down to 50-80%. Of course, its a real possibility that Charlie snuck some Archons into Jetstone in Jillian's army, meaning odds could be even lower as even a few could see through Jack's Foolamancy.

Wanda is dangerously close to earning a disbanding. It must be obvious to her that leaving Ansom behind will noticeably weaken the Dwagon strike force. Hence, she orders Ansom to not inform Stanley. She just put her own need for a power trip over the success of the attack, not to mention her own safety.

This is as may be, but Wanda has more than the one kind of head damage (caster like unto warlord). If the Queen of Faq wasn't in the battlespace, The Chief Warlord of Gobwin Knob would be, I think.
normalphil

Postby Spot » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:32 am

The "fun" part will be when Stanley blames Ansom for making up a bad plan and getting Wanda killed with it, followed by Ansom trying to shift the blame onto Parson for making up a plan that interfered with his plan, and then Parson will try and blame Wanda for changing force composition without telling him *after* having him compute odds with the old force composition.

And then Stanley will get upset, but Wanda won't be around to distract him from being a dick.
Spot

Postby Alternator » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:39 am

I registered just to say:

Holy crap that's a lot of dragons! And crap is what's going to be all over the defenders, which may well be a fate worse than Decryption.

Also, anyone have the feeling that the real reason Wanda is keeping Ansom back is that Parson reminded her it might not be Wanda that Jillian is here for?
Alternator

Postby Lord Kasavin » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:40 am

AllPurposeNerd wrote:Just in case there was any doubt as to who was really running the show for Gobwin Knob (as she has been since book 1).

Oh, I disagree. I find GK's leadership structure as complex as a Byzantine court. I mean, Parson put Wanda in her place under his leadership during the FBfGK. However, Stanley is still the Overlord and can disband anyone with a thought. At the end of the day, I've never seen Wanda disobey an order from Stanley, even if it was against her wishes and what she believed was best for GK. Then you have Ansom, whose now Chief Warlord and is the one actually making strategy. Wanda, Stanley, and Parson for the most part just sign off on what he comes up with. I could go on, but I think lack of leadership, despite all the "leaders" is one of GK's weaknesses.

I'll take that bet. I don't think he'll be overly surprised of Charlescomm forces are in the hex, but recall that Charley has done nothing to directly challenge GK and from the summer updates Parson had nothing but suspicions about the hermit Overlord. Parson is still human, and if he believed Archons were in the hex, he would have said something as they seem to have the ability to see through veils (meaning Jack would not be useful for the attack, and Parson seemed to think Jack would still be helpful).

Nah, Charlie is an obsessive bet hedger. He would never commit that much to a single engagement.
"Act, and God will Act." - Joan of Arc

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Postby Sixty » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:42 am

Hmmm, does seem like there is some potential foreshadowing that Stanley isn't gonna COMPLETELY blame Parson for the incoming mishap since he makes a point to mention that it's Ansom's plan and not Parson's.
Sixty
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Sinrus » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:45 am

Lord Kasavin wrote:

Oh, I disagree. I find GK's leadership structure as complex as a Byzantine court. I mean, Parson put Wanda in her place under his leadership during the FBfGK. However, Stanley is still the Overlord and can disband anyone with a thought. At the end of the day, I've never seen Wanda disobey an order from Stanley, even if it was against her wishes and what she believed was best for GK.

How can it be as complex as a Byzantine court? There were only five people on GK's side for most of Book 1 who could talk. And you've never seen Wanda disobey Stanley? How about page three of Book 1.
Sinrus

Next

Return to Reactions