Book 2 – Text Updates 011

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Book 2 – Text Updates 011

Postby balder » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:09 am

New One is up.
User avatar
balder
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:30 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 011

Postby fractal » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:41 am

Well, if FAQ doesn't work out for Duncan, he can always see if Cloud City has any openings, with that headgear.
fractal
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:46 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 011

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:54 am

Napster, eh? I wonder if Metawwica will show up later.

So then, Duncan Scone thinks some Lvl 2 warlord on a Meg is an even match for Sylvia and her red Dwagon? More ill-boding.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
User avatar
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 3446
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:24 am

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 011

Postby KiltedNinja » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:13 am

Duncan Scone wrote:It felt like the Titans were laughing.


...I've been trying to think about what this actually means.. Does it mean that the thought of Jillian and Wanda fighting is a joke? As in, "How could they *ever* fight each other when they're so obviously in love"...? ...or are "the titans laughing" because no-one could actually win that kind of battle, with love being the battlefield, everyone loses.. ...kinda.

Thoughts?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
...I'm still holding out for the Arkenoid...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
User avatar
KiltedNinja
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:16 am
Location: Scotland, UK (The other other Magic Kingdom)

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 011

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:17 am

It probably means nothing more than that the result of a fight is unpredictable.

Or it is the Titans laughing because they know the surreal contortions that we'll go to, to interpret that line.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
User avatar
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 3446
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:24 am

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 011

Postby Sinrus » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:59 am

fractal wrote:Well, if FAQ doesn't work out for Duncan, he can always see if Cloud City has any openings, with that headgear.


I WANTED TO SAY THAT!!!!!! :cry:
User avatar
Sinrus
 
Posts: 824
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:00 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 011

Postby Llord_Droll » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:23 am

Duncan seems to have lost weight.

No guesses at what it all means. I haven't had my coffee yet.

This buildup to the battle is impressive and frustrating.

Everything we would need to know beforehand we will know before the battle.

A+ for thoroughness.
Llord_Droll
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 011

Postby Angband » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:48 am

Hmmm... new information on Hippiemancy, and the work of a brand new caster type we haven't seen before, as well as more from a Hat magician. I wonder who famous Date-a-mancers would be. We might see a Ruth or an Alfred showing up...

Also, it appears that Duncan is unaware of Charlie's forces in the battlespace, given that he only considers Faq's forces in the fight. Very interesting, considering that the archons were said to be delivering provisions to Jillian's forces as they made their long trek to Spacerock.

For those not getting the Cloud City references: http://alexplorer.net/guitar/text/guitar/lobot.jpg
User avatar
Angband
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 6:34 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 011

Postby Pax » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:08 am

Bwa ha ha ... a Laurel made in NAPSTER, that helps to evaluate matching people together in pairs... bwa ha ha ha ha ...! :lol:


...


...


...


Wait. A Laurel made by a tri-linked set of casters ... "thousands and thousands of turns ago". Well, the Table trick may have been a moment of creative epiphany for Stanley, but, it's not a truly unique sort of epiphany.
Image
User avatar
Pax
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:56 pm
Location: U.S. Northeast

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 011

Postby SteveMB » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:23 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:It probably means nothing more than that the result of a fight is unpredictable.

Or it is the Titans laughing because they know the surreal contortions that we'll go to, to interpret that line.

Or the Titans are laughing at whoever was supposed to have made sure the Jell-O pit was available.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
User avatar
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:12 pm
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 011

Postby dan2178 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:11 am

I'm feeling sorry for Lord Bobtail...
dan2178
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:22 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 011

Postby mblackadder » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:19 am

First reaction on seeing the artwork
It's Lobot!
Image
Good to see him getting out and about. I was worried he'd spend his entire life in Cloud City and just settle into his niche there. The man had the talent to go places. It was obvious, so good on him for dropping the Vice Adminstrator job and becoming a Warlord. Sure he picked the wrong side but hey he's got a great boss and I'm sure he's got a lifetime of success ahead of him.

Second
Artifacts can be made, does it take a Tri-Link to make them? What's the production rate like? Does it take juice? Can we have Jack off making one time use Foolmancy hats last turn and this turn holding a veil? Are their "recipes" in Erfworld or is it a "Hey y'all watch this" and sometimes they produce something useful?
User avatar
mblackadder
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:06 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 011

Postby Davre » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:56 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:So then, Duncan Scone thinks some Lvl 2 warlord on a Meg is an even match for Sylvia and her red Dwagon? More ill-boding.


Well, the same source thinks that, on the whole, his side is completely out-gunned so I don't see that it bodes so ill.
Davre
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:38 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 011

Postby Oberon » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:22 pm

KiltedNinja wrote:
Duncan Scone wrote:It felt like the Titans were laughing.


...I've been trying to think about what this actually means.. Does it mean that the thought of Jillian and Wanda fighting is a joke? As in, "How could they *ever* fight each other when they're so obviously in love"...? ...or are "the titans laughing" because no-one could actually win that kind of battle, with love being the battlefield, everyone loses.. ...kinda.

Thoughts?
The common context of a phrase like "the gods are laughing" [and "at us" is implied] is that your side is going to get owned. This meets Duncan's earlier estimation that "To win, [Wanda's air forces] needed only to strike." It means, in the most straightforward interpretation, that Wanda is more than a match for Jillian ("he considered what would happen if these two women were to fight") in Duncan's magic laurel enhanced "very useful intuition about combat match-ups."


We learn a lot of interesting, but typically non-concrete, things about Erfworld in this update:
Another tri-mancer combination is documented and one item fabrication capability it possesses;
A possible life span reference - Duncan's laurel was made "thousands of turns ago", but that doesn't mean it went immediately to Duncan;
Some glimpses into Date-a-mancy, and the very interesting revelation that a randomly popped very valuable caster who happens to be of this type is typically not kept very long. Released to the Magic Kingdom? Disbanded? Casters seem to follow different rules from other unit types in many more regards than simply being a caster.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 am

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 011

Postby Sinrus » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:44 pm

mblackadder wrote:First reaction on seeing the artwork
It's Lobot!
Image
Good to see him getting out and about. I was worried he'd spend his entire life in Cloud City and just settle into his niche there. The man had the talent to go places. It was obvious, so good on him for dropping the Vice Adminstrator job and becoming a Warlord. Sure he picked the wrong side but hey he's got a great boss and I'm sure he's got a lifetime of success ahead of him.


A great boss? He seems to say that he has a sucky boss.

mblackadder wrote:Second
Artifacts can be made, does it take a Tri-Link to make them? What's the production rate like? Does it take juice? Can we have Jack off making one time use Foolmancy hats last turn and this turn holding a veil? Are their "recipes" in Erfworld or is it a "Hey y'all watch this" and sometimes they produce something useful?


Artifacts are made by the titans. The Napster Laurel is a magic item.
User avatar
Sinrus
 
Posts: 824
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:00 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 011

Postby Ninjaguineapig » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:01 pm

Well. The powers of Date-a-mancy have finally been revealed.
Ninjaguineapig
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:02 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 011

Postby CelebrenIthil » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:06 pm

I'm still a bit confused as to why it was Napster while something like an online dating site might have fitted more... but I know little of both so whatever. I guess Napster maybe allows (it still exists, right?) you to find new groups/other people that match your musical tastes, like Last.fm does?
My Dwagons!
Red: Kelvin Yellow: Newton Green: Langmuir Blue: Ampere Purple: Decibel Pink: Pascal
build6 wrote:It's true, we're all gay for Tramennis, even if we're straight :-)
User avatar
CelebrenIthil
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:40 pm
Location: Under my hair

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 011

Postby fjolnir » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:09 pm

The ability to evaluate and subsequently fuck up interpersonal relationships seems to be fairly powerful...
User avatar
fjolnir
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 011

Postby Oberon » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:16 pm

Sinrus wrote:Artifacts are made by the titans. The Napster Laurel is a magic item.
This is not canon. Sizemore speculated that Parson's bracer might be an artifact, and it was created by the summoning spell which was in turn crafted by caster units.

Sizemore was aware of the source of the summoning spell, the types of magic which were involved, and its cost in shmuckers. Wanda said "the Findamancers and Predictamancers have forged a spell together", which excludes even a trimancer link. If artifacts were solely created by the Titans, Sizemore would not have thought that an artifact could be the byproduct of a spell crafted by caster units.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 am

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 011

Postby theseus2x » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:21 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Napster, eh? I wonder if Metawwica will show up later.

So then, Duncan Scone thinks some Lvl 2 warlord on a Meg is an even match for Sylvia and her red Dwagon? More ill-boding.


Well, who knows? Maybe a Mega IS tactically superior to a Red Dwagon. I've been going back and forth with people on this in another thread.
User avatar
theseus2x
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:01 pm

Next

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Xarx, Yahoo [Bot] and 19 guests

cron