162 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 149-150

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: 162 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 149-150

Postby gameboy1234 » Sun May 24, 2009 3:14 pm

MarbitChow wrote:
Dragonchampion wrote:But throwing away the sword? What a STUPID thing to do.

On the contrary: first off, it's a symbolic rejection of war itself.

I was thinking it might be more than symbolic. In Erfworld, it might be the actual means which compels Erfwrold denizens to fight. Notice how everyone has a weapon? Even Ansom after he loses the Arkenpliers (the first time, on the walls) produces a large sword. Parson might technically be free now, but it might take him a while to realize it/capitalize on it.

Also, the skull on the sword hilt just before it melts reminds me of Wanda's insignia. Coincidence? And I think there's magical sparkles leaving the sword as it melts, that's not just the sword melting. Like the magic is going back to Erfworld or something.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Darkside007 » Sun May 24, 2009 3:41 pm

I think everyone is taking the metaphor too far. The last few pages were spent establishing the sword manipulated Parson, and the disposal of the sword is the rejection of that manipulation. Not of war.

The Sword of Aeons in Fable is similar; you can dispose of that sword, but that doesn't dispose of war, but the ancient power the Archon claimed.
Darkside007

Postby Lilmikee » Sun May 24, 2009 5:13 pm

I followed Erfworld since it first showed up on GiantITP, and at the time wasn't sure what to make of it. I found these pages to be a very satisfying conclusion to an enthralling story, and probably one of the few to make good use of vulgar language. I'll be eagerly waiting for the start of the next book.
Lilmikee

Postby MarbitChow » Sun May 24, 2009 5:19 pm

Darkside007 wrote:I think everyone is taking the metaphor too far. The last few pages were spent establishing the sword manipulated Parson, and the disposal of the sword is the rejection of that manipulation. Not of war.

Don't get me wrong: I don't believe that Parson is going to stop fighting. I'm assuming he's going to crush his opposition. What I think he's doing is rejecting war without purpose, which is what most of Erfworld appears to be engaged in. They fight because they can. In most cases, they fight because they have to - opposing sides without leaders automatically attack each other.

Parson is going to fight in order to stop the senseless fighting: "The war to end all wars." That's the war he's rejecting: pointless, needless war just for the sake of fighting. The story of Faq, and the existence of the Hippymancers, shows us that there exists a desire for peace, but the way the world is set up, it's unlikely or impossible. That's what I believe Parson is going to try to change. If everyone is on one side, there's no more reason to fight.
MarbitChow

Postby Binty » Sun May 24, 2009 5:47 pm

Is Parson Erfworld's Muad'Dib?
Binty

Postby Mikalyaran » Sun May 24, 2009 8:02 pm

Its interesting to see that Parson is actually breaking the rules. Uncroaking the volcano didn't really seem like "breaking the rules" so much as bending them. This comic clearly shows Parson living upto Janis' words and breaking the rules. His decleration that he is a player is chilling, powerful, and apprioprate to who he is. It will be interesting to see what our favorite player has in store for everyone else.
Mikalyaran
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby mutecebu » Sun May 24, 2009 10:14 pm

Binty wrote:Is Parson Erfworld's Muad'Dib?

Oh man... he totally is. Paul broke all the rules of the desert and the Lanserad (sp?), conquered everything, and completely changed the universe. He saw his path, full of bloodshead, but did it for the best possible future.
mutecebu

Postby deepfriedspam » Sun May 24, 2009 10:30 pm

Personally when i see him drop the F bomb... It reminds me of that scene from Tron when that one program realized Flynn was a user... question is, who is the MCP to Parson... Yeah I said it, Player = User, someone from outside the system, not bound by it.

mutecebu wrote:
Binty wrote:Is Parson Erfworld's Muad'Dib?

Oh man... he totally is. Paul broke all the rules of the desert and the Lanserad (sp?), conquered everything, and completely changed the universe. He saw his path, full of bloodshead, but did it for the best possible future.

Not exactly, Paul saw what had to be done for the best possible future but couldn't bear the cost of that path, it took his son, Leto, who was so much more Fremen in mentality to lay down and accept the necessary price to be paid to acheive the Golden Path.
deepfriedspam

Postby SurfingHalfOrc » Sun May 24, 2009 10:41 pm

Well, here we are at the end of book one. What an amazing ride it was!

Looking forward to book two. Looking forward to buying a croaked gump copy of this story, and if Rob and Jamie are autographing them, so much the better!
"Cuius testiculous habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum,"
SurfingHalfOrc

Postby Juroko » Sun May 24, 2009 11:32 pm

I actually think this could lead to some interesting plot development. Anyone can bend the rules. Gamers do it all the time. Play a good game of DnD and you see it quite often. However, he is not only defying them, he could be actually REWRITING the rule on him. It's a glitch in the matrix and in the Titan's design. Of course, one glitch could lead to another. I mean, those other gamers could go through the same hole Parson did. The spell might not even be broken so it is instead going to pull out ANOTHER "perfect" warlord or other sides use this spell to get their own.

Either way, Parson is probably going to break several rules and maybe even make a few of his own. For all we know, Parson and his buddies could very well be the Titans on Erf.
Juroko

Postby mutecebu » Sun May 24, 2009 11:59 pm

Not exactly, Paul saw what had to be done for the best possible future but couldn't bear the cost of that path, it took his son, Leto, who was so much more Fremen in mentality to lay down and accept the necessary price to be paid to acheive the Golden Path.
Well, bah, you're right. My main point is the whole "lots of people will die but I do it 'cause I must". And we should probably go easy on the spoilers.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the army of apparently fanatically loyal troops with possibly more perks (like zero upkeep)
mutecebu

Postby Lunaya » Mon May 25, 2009 12:09 am

Just making sure this works:

A perfect ending to the first book. It will be interesting to see Parson playing this game by his own rules from now on.
Lunaya

Postby Mikalyaran » Mon May 25, 2009 12:41 am

mutecebu wrote:
Well, bah, you're right. My main point is the whole "lots of people will die but I do it 'cause I must". And we should probably go easy on the spoilers.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the army of apparently fanatically loyal troops with possibly more perks (like zero upkeep)

Right though you are Parson definitely seems like the Kwizats Haderach of Erfworld.
Mikalyaran

Postby Bobby Archer » Mon May 25, 2009 2:23 am

I was thinking about Parson calling himself a player and I had a thought: this entire world is built as a game; so who are the players? In one of the Klogs, Parson wonders if only overlords have true free will. Certainly Charlie is playing the game his own way. But Stanley styles himself as a Tool of something greater, imagining a purpose for himself beyond his own ambition; the royals likewise (at least as Ansom exemplifies them) follow the paths the Titans left for them. So, are the overlords really the players?

And then I started thinking about how Parson was addressing Erfworld itself in the last pages, and how he defied the world as opposed to a overlord. I remembered Wanda professing her Loyalty to Fate. And I remembered a table in one of the earliest Klogs. I have no real evidence for this, just a hunch and some speculative reasoning, but I've got a guess at the three Players (before Parson upset the balance, in any case): Erf, Fate, and Numbers.

Just a thought.
Uncroaked for Hire

No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.
Bobby Archer

Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity

Postby BarGamer » Mon May 25, 2009 2:51 am

Bobby Archer wrote:I have no real evidence for this, just a hunch and some speculative reasoning, but I've got a guess at the three Players (before Parson upset the balance, in any case): Erf, Fate, and Numbers. Just a thought.

Link is here: http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F038a.jpg
So Wanda is allied to Fate, Charlie is allied to Numbers (or the bottom line), and shall we say Janis is allied to Erf? What about Life, Motion, and Matter, though? Who are they allied to? Sounds like a great theory to me, though, let's celebrate by planting an Epileptic Tree! XD
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby teratorn » Mon May 25, 2009 5:05 am

SurfingHalfOrc wrote:"Cuius testiculous habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum,"

??? If you have their balls you also have their hearts and brains????
teratorn

Postby doran » Mon May 25, 2009 5:52 am

teratorn wrote:
SurfingHalfOrc wrote:"Cuius testiculous habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum,"

??? If you have their balls you also have their hearts and brains????

"When you have their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow"

This quote is from Terry Pratchett in Small Gods, who never lets the rules of latin ruin a good joke.
MarbitChow wrote: Don't you get it yet? WE ARE THE MAGIC KINGDOM.
We're the people sitting around discussing our pet theories based on nomenclature, citing references, discussing ad nauseum while Parson finds out how it works.
doran
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby lovelyluthien » Mon May 25, 2009 5:53 am

These pages sent the proverbial shiver down my spine. Great, amazing art, superb story telling. Thank you, Rob and Jamie.

I attach some significance to the sparkles that left the sword as it melted. Seems like the force / influence / power / whatever of the sword isn't as easily melted as its substance...
Avatar courtesy of SteveMB and Erfworld.
lovelyluthien

Postby cservant » Mon May 25, 2009 3:00 pm

I guess Parson finally got his Christmas present.

http://www.erfworld.com/wp-content/uploads/book1/071.jpg

Merry Christmas everybody :D
Wait a minute...
cservant

Postby moose o death » Mon May 25, 2009 4:59 pm

maybe the intention was to play that scene out at christmas time. and the guys are 5 months behind schedule
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions