162 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 149-150

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: 162 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 149-150

Postby kin » Fri May 29, 2009 7:10 pm

As one who stumbled upon Erf in the first update and was hooked from the first marbit, this was effing amazing. And I for one, love the strong text.

I can't wait for the Summer Klogs; I imagine we'll see some epic changes that will have to be flashbacked during the second book.

Also - just because it says that there is four known arkentools - doesn't mean there isn't more. I have a feeling there may be many more.
+End Transmission+
kin

Postby Vare » Sat May 30, 2009 7:59 pm

Can't say anything that Kin didn't put in his post.
Been a fan since the very first update and have been checking back on a daily basis in hope of updates and being extremely happy when there have been. Amazing comic. Love it ^^

Also I like how now Parson is breaking the rules with a huge swear word, nice way to let the world know you mean business! =D

Come onnnnnnn book 2! <3
Vare

Postby moose o death » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:35 am

come on thursday's update. this waiting malarki is for chumps.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Ghanur » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:23 am

gameboy1234 wrote:
Ghanur wrote:Great ending!

Something vaguely similar: "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Heh. Is your avatar from "The Prisoner?"

Yes ;)
I am not a number!

Ghanur

Postby Anton Gaist » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:37 pm

Great way to end the book.

Now I've been thinking about this last 2 pages maybe longer than I should have, trying to make sense to things. Mainly why he was able to drop that F-bomb.

The way I think it goes, the change comes from page 134, when he realizes that the game can't be won within the rules and essentially breaks them by uncroaking the volcano. So once he's broken the rules, he´s no longer bound by them, perhaps?

It'd be interesting to find out what other rule he's no longer bound to. Turns? Move? Loyalty? That would certainly be a twist.

And that statement he makes, about him being "a player", that would make every other faction NPCs... One single player in a world on NPCs. Wow.
Gentlemen, I like war.
I like trench war, I like Blitzkrieg, I like the offensive, I like the defensive.
I truly love each and every kind of war man can wage on a tabletop game.
Anton Gaist

Postby Sintar07 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:33 am

I, for one, thought that that was a very powerful ending. Can't wait for book two :)
Beware the Borg Tribbles!!
Sintar07

Postby the_tick_rules » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:55 pm

I wonder about what effect Parson's sword dissolving will have?
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby moose o death » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:03 pm

adding a slightly higher level of ferrous and carbon to the lava lake mostly. possibly silver.

though as a stupid meal prize, it may have been plastic, at which case it could have released toxic fumes in minute quantities to the atmosphere.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby DevilDan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:40 pm

the_tick_rules wrote:I wonder about what effect Parson's sword dissolving will have?

I assume that you're referring to the ruthlessness "bonus?"
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Arkenputtyknife » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:49 pm

DevilDan wrote:I assume that you're referring to the ruthlessness "bonus?"

Surely, all 3 things the sword granted him: combat, leadership, and ruthlessness.

Presumably he would have been able to fight with the sword. Not sure how; maybe it would have acted like a dancing sword, or dragged him around like a puppet. Now, he's once again no more than a nerd who can't climb stairs without exhausting himself. Stay away from the front lines, young man.

He's going to suffer for losing the leadership bonus. We don't know how big it was, but we do know that Stanley was annoyed that Parson himself only had a +2 leadership bonus. For him to have had more, and then thrown it in the lake of fire… Stanley's not going to like that.

And ruthlessness? That's the one he didn't want, but next time he's in a difficult battle with his back to the wall, what's he going to do? Love his enemies to death, like the Hippiemancer he's speculated to be?
Grammar: It's not the law, it's just a good idea.
Arkenputtyknife

Postby BarGamer » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:57 pm

Arkenputtyknife wrote:Love his enemies to death, like the Hippiemancer he's speculated to be?

If Big Al can hug Jillian to death, so can Parson.
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby moose o death » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:19 am

Arkenputtyknife wrote:
DevilDan wrote:I assume that you're referring to the ruthlessness "bonus?"

Surely, all 3 things the sword granted him: combat, leadership, and ruthlessness.

Presumably he would have been able to fight with the sword. Not sure how; maybe it would have acted like a dancing sword, or dragged him around like a puppet. Now, he's once again no more than a nerd who can't climb stairs without exhausting himself. Stay away from the front lines, young man.

He's going to suffer for losing the leadership bonus. We don't know how big it was, but we do know that Stanley was annoyed that Parson himself only had a +2 leadership bonus. For him to have had more, and then thrown it in the lake of fire… Stanley's not going to like that.

And ruthlessness? That's the one he didn't want, but next time he's in a difficult battle with his back to the wall, what's he going to do? Love his enemies to death, like the Hippiemancer he's speculated to be?

the sword didn't make parson more ruthless. it just removed his inhibitions about using it. like maggies says later. it was already there. bogroll could only pull off the foolamancy trap for ansom because superficially parson and bogroll were similar in shape. likewise the sword could only allow parson to use the traits he had but wasn't using. he needed that sword to push him to do what needed doing before he was ready.
moose o death

Postby Arkenputtyknife » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:57 am

moose o death wrote: the sword didn't make parson more ruthless. it just removed his inhibitions about using it.

Which amounts to the same thing; the end result is identical. The questions would be whether the inhibitions returned when the sword was discarded, and what it would take for Parson to overcome them again.
Arkenputtyknife

Postby DevilDan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:10 pm

Arkenputtyknife wrote:
moose o death wrote: the sword didn't make parson more ruthless. it just removed his inhibitions about using it.

Which amounts to the same thing; the end result is identical. The questions would be whether the inhibitions returned when the sword was discarded, and what it would take for Parson to overcome them again.

The threat of disembowelment can be a superb allicient.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby moose o death » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:36 pm

Arkenputtyknife wrote:

it's not the same. the sword added nothing more to parson's personality, it simply gave him confidence. destroying the sword did not rob him of anything. he had already lost his confidence upon seeing the destruction he had caused. the sword was already useless for it's intended purpose.

for parson to come full circle and allow him to be a chief warlord again, the lives of sizemore, maggie, possibly stanley/wanda need to be threatened. people parson has respect for and even a bond of friendship. losing one or more of them through inaction will resolve his feelings towards erfworld's forever wars. then he'll break that world.
moose o death

Postby Arkenputtyknife » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:28 pm

moose o death wrote:it's not the same. the sword added nothing more to parson's personality, it simply gave him confidence.

So which is it? Did it give him nothing, as you say, or did it give him confidence, as you say? Start making sense.
Arkenputtyknife

Postby moose o death » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:46 am

it didn't have a physical affect, it was a placebo.
moose o death

Postby DevilDan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:15 am

Obecalp for everyone!
DevilDan

Previous

Return to Reactions