Spam area? Introduction area?

What features and fixes would you like to see here at erfworld.com?

Spam area? Introduction area?

Postby The Dark Fiddler » Sat May 02, 2009 10:04 pm

Well, the title kind of says it all... not sure if there's much more the say... I'm just stalling now.
Oh how I wish I could be a tool.

Alas, I mere middle schooler am I, and the resources I lack to pay the fee.

Boop the economy, by the way.

A tool in spirit, I suppose.
The Dark Fiddler

Re: Spam area? Introduction area?

Postby Chox » Sun May 03, 2009 7:32 pm

HO YES! Introduction area is good, but Spam area is even better. That one is a must.

You don't really want me releasing my stress on ALL the threads. Do you? o.0
Jack! Jack!
Jack in a Box
Jack of all Trades
Chox

Postby zeekgenateer » Sun May 03, 2009 10:47 pm

It'd be nice to have a more general forum. (not as specific)

I wouldn't use the spam forum, but I know many would, but it puts a stress on the server for so many database entries (once it accumulates). What could be possible is to cap topics when they get to 1000 posts and lock them then delete them. people can continue the topic in a new topic, but the old would be removed to reduce load. I've never run a popular site, so all this is speculation... sigh.
zeekgenateer

Postby Dave Rapp » Mon May 04, 2009 5:01 pm

A spam forum is always nice to have but past experience says that if you stick it out in the open it tends to draw away a shitload of attention that would be better directed towards the actual discussion areas. I concur that a general discussion forum is a necessity, and maybe make a spam forum a subforum of the general discussion forum?

Wait. PHPBB can handle subforums, right? I haven't been around this software in ages.
Dave Rapp

Postby zeekgenateer » Tue May 05, 2009 7:58 am

Yes phpbb 3 what this site is running can.
zeekgenateer

Postby zeekgenateer » Thu May 21, 2009 12:20 am

Sorry to bump, but are we going to get any general forums as mentioned above? I'd like to know the opinion on this as some posts (tech news, introductions, etc) that I think some others might find interesting, don't have a place in this forum as of yet.

Here's hoping
zeekgenateer

Postby Dave Rapp » Sun May 24, 2009 7:32 am

Really hoping this won't be the kind of forum where the admins do what they think is best for the community while ignoring what the users actually want.
Dave Rapp

Postby Archaic » Fri May 29, 2009 7:54 pm

zeekgenateer wrote:It'd be nice to have a more general forum. (not as specific)

I wouldn't use the spam forum, but I know many would, but it puts a stress on the server for so many database entries (once it accumulates). What could be possible is to cap topics when they get to 1000 posts and lock them then delete them. people can continue the topic in a new topic, but the old would be removed to reduce load. I've never run a popular site, so all this is speculation... sigh.

Honestly, major forum packages such as phpBB as used here haven't had that problem since...oh....2003 or so. What is going to put stress on the server isn't the forums by any stretch of the imagination, it's the wiki. From personal experience with running Bulbapedia (14855 articles at time of writing), wiki's are serious resource hogs.
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
Archaic
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Return to Suggestions/Requests