Plug links and clicking them

What features and fixes would you like to see here at erfworld.com?

Plug links and clicking them

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:54 pm

Why yes, Mr. Balder, I for one don't click on the plug links.

Because I'm a lazy bastard, and I suspect I'm not the only one.

What happens is that I don't know what is in the plug. I just see an image "Rob's plug" and another, "Jamie's plug", and I have this feeling that if I mouseover them my browser will say where they go. But why should I care enough to do that?

It's very petty and callous, but I'm afraid a lot of internet use is done the same way on the principle of most convenience. At least SomethingAwful (used to) describe what their Awful Link of the Day was.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Re: Plug links and clicking them

Postby Gez » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:04 pm

Also, how do we know it's been updated? That there's a reason to take a new look at them? Making news posts about them when they're changed (or forum threads) would help. Of course by this point, the "plug" links would become redundant.
Gez

Postby Janny » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:21 pm

Gez wrote:Also, how do we know it's been updated? That there's a reason to take a new look at them? Making news posts about them when they're changed (or forum threads) would help. Of course by this point, the "plug" links would become redundant.

There's already a forum thread with a list of them.

It gets updated every time Rob changes his link. :-)

-Janny
(Rob's Lackey)
I don't want a fancy .sig.
Janny

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:58 am

True, but that doesn't change the fact that the plug link graphics themselves don't generate traffic. And while I might check the plug links thread sometime, I don't know if it's worth it. See, if the plugs were easily visible and somewhat described on the front page, I'd know what kinds of things to expect. Make several of them reliably interesting to me and you've made me aquire the habit of checking the plug links.

Treat this as speculation that should be easy to check (you might tell how much traffic various links from this domain generate). The plug links are very nicely integrated in the graphics design and can't easily be modified to fit some description but still ... the corkboard at partiallyclips allows people to put small banners in there. An image, a slogan that's visible- it counts for a lot.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby motorfirebox » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:31 pm

I agree. I don't click on the plug links because, frankly, I can't tell at a glance whether or not they've been updated recently. So I assume they haven't. Adding a ten-word description or title to the plug link, and a date, would most likely bring more clicks. If you're feeling really ambitious, an RSS feed might be a useful addition.
motorfirebox

Postby balder » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:00 pm

I always update the alt text on the link with a description of it. Just hover to see.
balder

Postby KiltedNinja » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:58 am

I have to agree with the others.. we're in the Age of Lazy. If something doesnt flash in 17 different neon colours while being badly animated, people don't notice it. The thought of hovering over a static link for more than a split second is simply outrageous to most folk. I have to admit as well, I don't check it nearly often enough.

One possible idea ; something that I'm sure Harknell could do, is maybe add a little graphic to the side of your avatar's head on the frontpage. Maybe a lightbulb or something? When the plug changes, the lightbulb is there, and it turns off after a few days or something... Wouldn't be too intrusive to the nice front-page graphic, would let people know that the link is changed, and more people would probably click it just to see...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
...I'm still holding out for the Arkenoid...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
KiltedNinja
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:05 pm

Hey cool the site's been redesigned!

... and the plug links look much the same. :(
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Ehbobo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:22 pm

Actually, the plug links look very different. Unfortunately, the problem has not been solved.
Ehbobo

Return to Suggestions/Requests