New Star Trek film

Passive screen-based entertainment.

New Star Trek film

Postby Mal » Thu May 07, 2009 3:44 am

So, are you looking forward to it? Willing to forgive if it's bad? Perhaps you refuse to see it for fear of it infringing on the continuity. I know more than a few people who already beleive it's the devils work. Let's talk about it :D

Personally, I'm looking forward to it. Can't be too terribly bad, I mean, J.J. Abrams must some some idea that screwing it up will cause geeks to form a lynch mob :P
Mal, Professional Patsy! You can blame it alllll on me :D
Mal

Re: New Star Trek film

Postby Joe Falco » Thu May 07, 2009 9:52 pm

I'm no Trekkie. I never had that much interest in Star Trek or any of its incarnations. That being said, I might go out to see it if I have the time.
Joe Falco

Postby zeekgenateer » Thu May 07, 2009 11:22 pm

I'm going to see it with a Trekkie on Friday, so it'll be interesting. Heard they won't be speaking any Klingon in the movie, can't say I'm complaining about that.
zeekgenateer

Postby Biomekanic » Sun May 10, 2009 12:40 pm

Having seen the movie, the best response I've seen so far is this: This is an original Star Wars trilogy movie set in the Star Trek universe.

Yes, there are plot holes and bad science you could fly the Death Star ( let alone the Enterprise ) through, but it's a lot of fun.
Biomekanic

Postby Pentegarn » Mon May 11, 2009 5:57 pm

I enjoyed it, and was pleasantly surprised by the casting (Spock, Scotty, and McCoy in particular). I enjoyed the little nods to the original series as well that were scattered here and there.
Was the dopest post I ever wrote... in '94
Pentegarn
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby konmanrocks » Mon May 11, 2009 9:44 pm

it was a little different from what i was expecting, but seeing it, i can say it was great. a definite must see for any treke or lover of scifi
konmanrocks
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Mikalyaran » Tue May 12, 2009 3:42 am

Im heading out to see it tonight. I've heard only good things about it. I am pleased.
Mikalyaran
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby ReccaSquirrel » Tue May 12, 2009 1:12 pm

Did anyone else notice the Tribble that Scotty had for a pet?
ReccaSquirrel

Postby konmanrocks » Wed May 13, 2009 6:27 pm

ReccaSquirrel wrote:Did anyone else notice the Tribble that Scotty had for a pet?

so thats what that thing was called.
GET DOWN FROM THERE!
lol
konmanrocks
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby zeekgenateer » Wed May 13, 2009 9:15 pm

I liked it. I don't know much of the old cannon, but one of my friends liked it. He thought it dumped the old crap rather gracefully. The trekkie didn't like it though, mostly because
(spoiler) Vulcan got Alderanned
zeekgenateer

Postby Bobby Archer » Sat May 16, 2009 2:20 pm

I've seen a fair bit of the various Trek incarnations - not nearly enough to qualify me as a Trekkie, but I've got a base knowledge - and I really loved the movie. Abrams definitely showed some stones with some of the choices, but everyone I went with had no problem with those (to the point that the two biggest Trekkies got in line to watch the second showing).

And, as for the bad science, I never cease to be impressed with Star Trek's ability to give bad, often ridiculous science and make me go...yeah, okay, why not?
Uncroaked for Hire

No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.
Bobby Archer

Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity

Postby Mal » Sat May 16, 2009 6:14 pm

I've still yet to see it. Likely won't till next week, but I am so overjoyed to hear such good things about it :)
Mal, Professional Patsy! You can blame it alllll on me :D
Mal

Postby JohnnyEgregious » Sun May 24, 2009 3:52 am

Was I the only one who yelled "Picard is better!" when the trailer came on? When it started I was hoping for it, but alas.
I'm workin' on my thinkin' and I'm thinkin' it's improving.
JohnnyEgregious

Postby Ludicrity » Sun May 24, 2009 2:40 pm

I really really liked it. Pretty much the only role I didn't like was Nero. Thought that was a bit of over-acting. But other than that, I was really impressed! I thought going in that it might be terrible, but it was a great action movie. I kinda miss Ricardo Montalban, though :| . Actually, on that point, that's the one thing that bothered me. It was a bit TOO good. I mean, part of the magic of Star Trek is that it's really really cheesy, and the old movies kinda poked fun at themselves. These guys take it seriously though, and I kinda miss all that old cheesy stuff.
Ludicrity

Postby Vince_LomPARTAY » Tue May 26, 2009 3:54 am

It's obvious paramount wants to make a parallell series of *new* Star Trek films to cash in on old characters without having to stick to such troublesome things as "canon" and "being creative for a change".

I almost feel stupid saying Star Trek has "sold out" at this point.
Vince_LomPARTAY

Postby Bobby Archer » Tue May 26, 2009 3:27 pm

If I was going to be making a new Star Trek series of movies, I'd do everything I could to circumvent Trekkies screaming "Canon!" too. The fix for that wound up being simple, direct, and explained in under a minute; I can get behind that. It also eliminates the "Well, he/she/it has to survive because they're around for XYZ later" factor of prequels.

Also, someone's going to have to explain the concept of "selling out" to me sometime. I mean, Gene Roddenberry wrote lyrics to the Star Trek theme music just so he could collect a royalty on the theme in addition to what he was getting for the show.
Uncroaked for Hire

No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.
Bobby Archer

Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity

Postby Sintar07 » Sat May 30, 2009 3:36 am

I've watched the movie 4 times so far. Great stuff :D :D
Beware the Borg Tribbles!!
Sintar07

Postby jioan » Sat May 30, 2009 1:28 pm

Considering I've only seen 1 episode of Star Trek the movie plot was well put together and drew me into the universe. I might actually go buy the boxed set eventually if I get the time this summer.
jioan

Postby Allandaros » Sun May 31, 2009 3:16 am

The movie was a good, solid movie (unlike the last few ones we've had - OHGAA!). I strongly disagree with the idea that the new film was done to avoid "being creative for a change" - it lets the filmmakers create a new universe, which the viewers are being exposed to for the first time, without having the 30-some years of canon impede the story. There's a sense of raw discovery with the film, and part of that is essential for good Trek, I think.

(That said - who the HELL designed the Romulan ship? Random walkways over gratuitous open space without any guardrails? The hell?)
Allandaros

Postby Lord of Extinction » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:38 pm

I liked it. I wasn't expecting much because the previews made it look kind of like it was going to be a little bubble head to me.

But then I saw it awhile ago and it was better than I had expected. I kept chuckling to myself almost through the whole movie with Sylar jokes in my head.
Lord of Extinction

Next

Return to Movies and Television